The "SUN" stopped moving? Surrrrrre it did.

Originally posted by SnakeLord

Sometimes it borders ludicrous. God says he stopped the sun- now all of a sudden he 'might have stopped all motion in space'?

Where does it say "God said, I've stopped the Sun"?

Originally posted by davewhite04
Here ...

"Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel."
-Joshua 10:12-14 (KJV)

"And when they were smiting, the day was declining toward evening, and Joshua said in the sight of all the people, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon, and thou moon in the valley of Ajalon, until the nation shall have revenged itself upon its enemies. And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Joshua, and the sun stood still in the midst of the heavens, and it stood still six and thirty moments, and the moon also stood still and hastened not to go down a whole day."
-Book of Jasher Ch. 88:63-64

You're right, my apologies. Joshua says to the lord, let the sun stand still, and then it does. Maybe joshua stopped the sun but it's more likely god did it.

Now your turn: Where is there any evidence whatsoever, and where does it say all motion in space was stopped?

My comment was inaccurate, yours was simply groundless. Hopefully however you got the original point regardless to my blunder?

Re: I maybe missed the point you were trying to make

Originally posted by grimreaper
As you start your battle a feild effect is set up and every one moves faster ( all living beings and moving objects). As the effect acts equaly on every thing affected you dont notice it. As the battle proceeds according to plan actions that would take hours are compleated in minuts as you check your time peice the sun you see that it has moved little or not at all.

As an inteligent person of the times would it be more logical that god made every thing move faster or slowed two objects in the sky.

I would think that time seemed to move more slowly.
Just as when you get into a car accident (have you ever been in a serious car accident or some other life-threatening situation?) and times seems to move so slowly for everything around you.
It seems to go in slow motion.

I have been in a number of life threatening situations and in every instance time seemed to slow down for everything but me.

I didn't think that God slowed the Sun (or Earth) down for me.
I thought that it was a situation in which my life preservation instincts kicked in, my actions and reactions required less cognizant thought and my reflexes were all on alert.
Therefore I reacted much more quickly to the situation around me so everything around me seemed to move in slow motion.
Kinda like Lestat in the movie "Interview With a Vampire".

Or I would think, "I need to get some more of this kick ass weed! :m: " ;)

Time seems to move more slowly or quickly depending on the situation you are in and the environment around you.
36 moments (would that be equal to 36 minutes?) doesn't seem like a whole lot of time to gain in a day-long situation in which your life is constantly under threat (such as a battle).

Maybe I am just being silly and logical, though.

Nowhere does it say the sun was slowed, nor does it say moments were stretched etc .... The passage clearly states:

"And when they were smiting, the day was declining toward evening, and Joshua said in the sight of all the people, Sun, STAND THOU STILL upon Gibeon, and thou moon in the valley of Ajalon, until the nation shall have revenged itself upon its enemies. And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Joshua, and the SUN STOOD STILL in the midst of the heavens, and it STOOD STILL six and thirty moments, and the moon also stood still and hastened not to go down a whole day."
-Book of Jasher Ch. 88:63-64
--------------------------------------
The bibles contents can be taken anyway christians choose when it suits.. how wonderfull the liquid word of god must be to have as a tool.

Originally posted by razz
Nowhere does it say the sun was slowed, nor does it say moments were stretched etc .... The passage clearly states:
--------------------------------------
The bibles contents can be taken anyway christians choose when it suits.. how wonderfull the liquid word of god must be to have as a tool.

This seems to be directed at me.

Is it?

Originally posted by SnakeLord
You're right, my apologies. Joshua says to the lord, let the sun stand still, and then it does. Maybe joshua stopped the sun but it's more likely god did it.

Now your turn: Where is there any evidence whatsoever, and where does it say all motion in space was stopped?

My comment was inaccurate, yours was simply groundless. Hopefully however you got the original point regardless to my blunder?

It doesn't say anywhere that all motion in space was stopped. What I'm saying is if God wanted to stop the Sun and Moon without causing cosmic problems he may have to stop all motion in the universe. And being God he could do this without having to explain how he did it.

This post is evil.. God forbids all christians from reading it.

Oh poo crap and bugger me times infinity.

It's a sad day indeed when I stumble across things that stuff up my debates ... but in all fairness I must confess and show you all something I found that may just help out those pesky little christian brats on this forum.
( someone slap me really hard )
... Im never going to hear the end of this...

I apologise to all non christians in advance....please remember violence solves nothing...

This new information does not explain the sun standing still, but it does show something else quite interesting....I'll shuddup now and let you read it for yourself.

( RazZ puts on his stack hat & groin protector )

===========================
2 Kings 20:9-11

Then Isaiah said, "This is the sign to you from the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing which He has spoken: Shall the shadow go forward ten degrees or go backward ten degrees?"

And Hezekiah answered, "It is an easy thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees; no, but let the shadow go backward ten degrees."

So Isaiah the prophet cried out to the LORD, and He brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down on the sundial of Ahaz.
============================

If any of you can do the maths etc ... let me know if this shift of shadow on sundial translates to a rectify / reverse the sun being stopped the first time around for Joshua.

(RazZ hopes the non christians can help destroy this particular posts credibility.)

one_raven
I would think that time seemed to move more slowly.
Just as when you get into a car accident (have you ever been in a serious car accident or some other life-threatening situation?) and times seems to move so slowly for everything around you.
It seems to go in slow motion
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DefSkeptic

Ok so I take it that they hold these as fact, so I will do the same for the answer I will give.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an inteligent person of the times would it be more logical that god made every thing move faster or slowed two objects in the sky.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I go with the slowed two objects in the sky answer. What do you think?
============================================== This is where I am going.
And has been a pet theory of mine for awhile.
Any one reporting would have used deductive reasoning based on the accepted facts of his time.

hence the sun stood still.

Yet there are no corroborating reports from other existing cavitations around the world therefore the effect had to be localized in nature.

we know this because any and all peoples would have made sure that their descendants would know of this awe inspiring miracle. look at solar and lunar eclipses?

IN closing my science teachers and especially my physics teacher Mr. Grey who worked for the D.O.E and NASA till he retired then went into teaching taught me that when the facts do not meet the laws see if there is a way for the observer to tell the truth and fit the laws differently than the observation.

with respect
;) :cool: :m:

Re: This post is evil.. God forbids all christians from reading it.

Originally posted by razz
Oh poo crap and bugger me times infinity.

It's a sad day indeed when I stumble across things that stuff up my debates ... but in all fairness I must confess and show you all something I found that may just help out those pesky little christian brats on this forum.
( someone slap me really hard )
... Im never going to hear the end of this...

I apologise to all non christians in advance....please remember violence solves nothing...

This new information does not explain the sun standing still, but it does show something else quite interesting....I'll shuddup now and let you read it for yourself.

( RazZ puts on his stack hat & groin protector )

===========================

summer or winter solicits?
2 Kings 20:9-11

Then Isaiah said, "This is the sign to you from the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing which He has spoken: Shall the shadow go forward ten degrees or go backward ten degrees?"

And Hezekiah answered, "It is an easy thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees; no, but let the shadow go backward ten degrees."

So Isaiah the prophet cried out to the LORD, and He brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down on the sundial of Ahaz.
============================

If any of you can do the maths etc ... let me know if this shift of shadow on sundial translates to a rectify / reverse the sun being stopped the first time around for Joshua.

(RazZ hopes the non christians can help destroy this particular posts credibility.)

Think about it.
If "the Sun stopped" tomorrow for 36 minutes, would you even notice?
(of course, except the whole instantaneous destruction of the Earth bit.)

Seriously.
36 minutes.
If the time between the Sunrise and the Sunset took 36 minutes longer than usual it would go completely unnoticed by most people, that really isn't much time at all.

I am not saying that means this is probably true, I am saying that it isn't much time and could very easily be attributed to someone simply feeling like time was moving slowly in a stressful situation.

It's a very valid point. I looked at the sun to see if i could actually tell it was 'moving'. Upon doing so i became blind and that's the end of that. From what i can tell the sun wasn't moving at the time i looked at it and went blind- maybe god did stop it and punished me like lots wife for looking at something he was busy doing?

Back