The necessary truth of mathematics (?)

It occurred to me that Dave's heroic but confused attempts to revolutionize mathematics -- i.e., to show that 2 + 2 needn't equal 4 -- are not entirely unrelated to recent discussions here. Let's take a look again at what precipitated Dave's unsuccessful coup d'état of mathematical foundations, the post that he reacted to . . .

We are way off in lala-land here.

What is vacuous is this:
Mathematical axioms, for example, are statements of logic and not fact. They can't be falsified. There are no possible circumstances in which 2 + 2 ≠ 4.

"Therefore the mathematical statement, 2 + 2 = 4 is not scientific."

This conclusion is stupid and untrue. All our science rests on Mathematics, not on an Intelligent Designer.

Philosophers and logicians draw a distinction between statements that are contingently true and those that are necessarily true.

To say that something is contingently true is to say that it is true, but it could have been otherwise. The truths or facts discovered by science fall almost entirely into this category. For example, it is true that the orbit of Mars lies between the orbit of Earth and Jupiter, though we can easily imagine things being otherwise. It just happens to be this way in our universe, but it didn't have to be this way.

Likewise, it is contingently true that Thomas Jefferson is/was the third president of the United States. It could conceivably have been someone else, though, if events had taken a different turn.

Contingent truths are contrasted with necessary truths. These are usually what we regard to be definitions (vixens are female foxes), analytic truths (All bachelors are unmarried), as well as the truths of mathematics and logic. What Write4U is telling us above is that "2 + 2 = 4" is not only true, but necessarily true, it could not have been otherwise, it is true in all counterfactual situations, or as you'll commonly hear it stated, it is true in all possible worlds.

To repeat, science is usually taken to be discovering contingent truths of our universe. You're not going to discover whether the continents move, for example, by sitting in your armchair and thinking about it. It's an empirical matter. You have to get out there and look. You have to get your hands dirty, so to speak, and do some science.

Mathematicians and logicians, on the other hand, keep their hands clean and their callipygous fundaments firmly in their armchairs. Any truths that they discover are necessary truths, therefore no empirical inquiry is required. You don't have to do field work in New Guinea to gather evidence to support the proposition "2 + 2 = 4" or that there is no largest prime number. Mathematical truths, unlike scientific truths, can be discerned by thought alone.

Richard Dawkins has been heard to express the view that if evolution is found to occur on other planets, he believes it will proceed according to Darwinian natural selection. Richard Dawkins, I submit, is also confused.

There are no possible worlds where 2 + 2 ≠ 4, where dogs are not dogs, where triangles have more or less than three sides, and there are no possible worlds where vixens are not female foxes -- though they may not be called "vixens" or "foxes" by the local inhabitants (Dave's mistake!), assuming there are any language-using inhabitants and any foxes at all. These are all necessary truths.

One other thing you're not going to find anywhere in our universe, or any other universe for that matter, is -- as a matter of general principle -- those better able to do something being outdone by those less well able to do the same thing. You're not going to find -- as a general rule -- the less fit surviving and reproducing more successfully than the more fit.

If -- as a general rule -- they were surviving and reproducing more successfully than their rivals they would not be less fit!

But isn't that to endorse what Richard Dawkins said? -- evolution, if it happens at all, will proceed according to the (utterly vacuous!) principle of natural selection?

Not quite. Dawkins presents this as an empirical matter, a possible contingent truth: i.e., We won't know for sure till we get out there and look.

You don't need to get out there and look! There is no safer bet -- in this or any other world -- than "2 + 2 = 4" and "The more fit outdo the less fit". They are both necessary truths.

And for those who haven't quite grasped the consequences yet . . . this is bad news!

Last edited:
P.S. And assuming there are other wars and battles going on out there in the universe -- the Klingons, the Romulans, and the Federation perhaps -- you do not need to leave your armchair to know that -- as a general principle -- those better equipped to win battles prevail over those less well equipped.

This may be appropriate at this time.
1725026723123.png
It just happens to be this way in our universe, but it didn't have to be this way.
I disagree.
In a deterministic universe, in this quantum moment, given all the contributing and sufficient facts), the orbit of Mars is exactly where it has to be from necessity. It cannot be otherwise or Mars would have flown out of orbit.

This is the nature of the magical (metaphysical) mathematical guiding principle.
In the presence of a logical mathematical demiurge, a creator god becomes unnecessary.
Likewise, it is contingently true that Thomas Jefferson is/was the third president of the United States. It could conceivably have been someone else, though, if events had taken a different turn.
Well now, there is a tautology if ever there was. "Things would have been different if things had been different".. :eek:

Mathematicians and logicians, on the other hand, keep their hands clean and their callipygous fundaments firmly in their armchairs. Any truths that they discover are necessary truths, therefore no empirical inquiry is required. You don't have to do field work in New Guinea to gather evidence to support the proposition "2 + 2 = 4" or that there is no largest prime number. Mathematical truths, unlike scientific truths, can be discerned by thought alone.
1725029416173.png
That meets Occam's Razor.

1725030708816.png
The existence of a god is not only an assumption, it is an infinitely complicated assumption..

Last edited:
I disagree.
In a deterministic universe, in this quantum moment, given all the contributing and sufficient facts), the orbit of Mars is exactly where it has to be from necessity. It cannot be otherwise or Mars would have flown out of orbit.

One way to think of logical necessity -- the kind I'm alluding to -- is conceivability. It is quite literally inconceivable that triangles could have four sides. Try it! We can easily conceive of Mars being somewhere else though.

What you're arguing for is physical necessity as opposed to logical necessity, i.e. given the laws of nature, Mars could not be anywhere other than where it is. But clearly, I think, it is not even physically necessary for Mars to be where it is. How about a massive meteor strike which propels it into the dark beyond, or even obliterates Mars entirely? Or a highly advanced civilization -- perhaps us in a thousand years! -- with the technology to play around with the orbits of the planets? You get the picture.

Mars doesn't have to be where it is now. But 2 + 2 has to equal 4. Do you agree?

This is the nature of the magical (metaphysical) mathematical guiding principle.
In the presence of a logical mathematical demiurge, a creator god becomes unnecessary.

I often seem to find myself in these forums somewhat in the role of Voltaire explaining the Catholic church lol (to steal John Searle's witticism). I don't believe in God, though I sometimes feel it salutary to point out the fallacies in our resident atheists' arguments.

Yes, gravity (for example) can be explained without making any appeal to spacetime curvature; by appeal to an attractive force perhaps, as Newton did. Spacetime curvature is unnecessary to explain gravity. It does not logically follow from this, of course, that spacetime curvature is not real. Vice versa too!

Likewise, Einstein, in 1905, explained a lot of things about space and time without invoking an aether at all. To paraphrase Laplace, "he had no need for that hypothesis". It does not follow, though, from these considerations alone that the aether does not exist. All that follows is that an explanation can be given which does not mention the aether at all. You can also explain the Christmas presents around the tree on Dec 25 without appealing to Mummy and Daddy.

Well now, there is a tautology if ever there was. "Things would have been different if things had been different".. :eek:

Quite so. You just stated a tautology. But what you stated is not what I stated.

Compare: "If events had taken a different turn, 2 + 2 might not equal 4". Is this statement true?

View attachment 6114
That meets Occam's Razor.

View attachment 6116
The existence of a god is not only an assumption, it is an infinitely complicated assumption..

Scientists will indeed often choose or "prefer" (see above) the simpler of two or more hypotheses/theories. But the question now arises, is this merely a matter of pragmatics -- the simpler theory is easier to work with -- or a matter of epistemology -- all else being equal, a theory that is simpler is more likely to be true.

One cannot simply assume the latter. You don't get this for free -- it has to be argued for. What reasons do we have for thinking that nature is simple? And be careful: an answer of "all our best theories are simple" simply begs the question (in the logical sense).

You seem mathematically inclined, so I assume you're familiar with the "curve fitting problem", viz., an infinite number of curves can be constructed to accommodate any finite number of points, or so I'm told. Naturally, if the points are so distributed, we're inclined to draw a straight line connecting them. It's nice n' easy!

This is often used as an analogy for the so-called "underdetermination of theories by data" thesis, viz., a plurality of theories -- possibly an infinite number -- of theories can be constructed to accommodate any given body of data (cf. two dozen or so theories of QM at present). How do we decide, then, from this embarrassment of riches which theory is the correct one? Which one, if any, is true?

Last edited:
re your . . . um . . . slogan above (I dunno what to call it) . . .

"Science has shown us that the magical world we believed in does not exist and that there is nothing but boring reality".

Sounds a lot like Richard Dawkins lol. Is that him speaking? If this pertains to God, say, science of course has shown no such thing. Modern scientific theories simply ignore God; they make no mention of him at all. You do not prove that something does not exist by not mentioning it.

What science has shown is that alternative explanations can be offered for a lot of things which do not invoke supernatural intervention. Whether these explanations are true is a different question entirely.

Oh, and add "There is nothing but reality" -- boring or not -- to our list of tautologies. What else could there be?

Again, it's not my purpose here to defend God against all comers, but I can make no sense of this.

What's more simple: God or Big Bang theory along with cosmic inflation theories and other dizzying creations of the scientist's mind? My head spins just thinking about them!

I'm not arguing that the God-did-it theory is true, but I can make no sense of the claim that it is "infinitely complicated". Explanations don't come much simpler!

@ Write4U

Notice the way Occam's Razor is stated in your post #1512 . . .

"When faced with two opposing explanations for the same set of evidence, our minds will naturally prefer the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions."

Perhaps so. The simpler explanation has obvious appeal to all we lazy sods out there. I include myself lol. We prefer it.

What is not asserted above, though, is that the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is more likely to be true.

That'll take a separate argument, assuming it's what you believe at all.

Edit P.S. - Ever read "Murder on the Orient Express"?

Presumably a single murderer is a simpler explanation than a whole bunch of people sticking the knife in. It is not, however, the correct explanation.

Then there's Julius Caesar to contend with . . .

Last edited:
Again, it's not my purpose here to defend God against all comers, but I can make no sense of this.

What's more simple: God or Big Bang theory along with cosmic inflation theories and other dizzying creations of the scientist's mind? My head spins just thinking about them!

I'm not arguing that the God-did-it theory is true, but I can make no sense of the claim that it is "infinitely complicated". Explanations don't come much simpler!
Well, you just defined an Inflating Universe emerging from a singularity, as observed by various physical measurements.

An expanding singularity of raw energy (chaos) generated by a pre-existing fundamental law of physics, from which the Universe emerged and randomly self-organized.

However, the God-created Universe has no measurable properties other than starting from an expanding singularity of raw energy (chaos), but assumes a motivated pre-existing human intelligence manufacturing this singularity from which the universe emerged and randomly self-organized.

Last edited:
Notice the way Occam's Razor is stated in your post #1512 . . .

"When faced with two opposing explanations for the same set of evidence, our minds will naturally prefer the explanation that makes the fewest assumptions."
True, but it appears that Nature also prefers the most "efficient" self-organization that makes the fewest assumptions.
I think the Fibonacci Sequence is one such efficient patterns, Fractality is another.

Quantum gravity – taking a conservative stance

Many fundamental questions about the nature of space, time and gravitational interactions are not answered by the classical theory of general relativity, but lie in the realm of the still-searched-for theory of quantum gravity: What is the quantum theory underlying general relativity, and what does it say about the quantum origins of space, time and our universe? What is the microstructure of spacetime at the shortest scale usually considered, the Planck scale lPl = 10-35m, and what are the relevant degrees of freedom determining the dynamics there?

And much more....

I hope someone will start a thread on this approach. This is way above my pay grade, but it "feels right".

Well, you just defined an Inflating Universe emerging from a singularity, as observed by various physical measurements.

Observed? Er, excuse me? Lots of measurements may have been made; an expanding universe most certainly has not been observed -- it has been inferred.

However, the God-created Universe has no measurable properties other than starting from an expanding singularity of raw energy (chaos), but assumes a motivated pre-existing human intelligence manufacturing this singularity from which the universe emerged and randomly self-organized.

Seems to me -- assuming one defends the position that God was responsible for that massive explosion 14 billion years ago -- the universe has exactly the same measurable properties as it does now. No?

A literal Genesis-type Creation account is another matter, of course.

True, but it appears that Nature also prefers the most "efficient" self-organization that makes the fewest assumptions.
I think the Fibonacci Sequence is one such efficient patterns, Fractality is another.

Well, Einstein and many other scientists often make comments to the effect that the simplicity or elegance or beauty of a theory is a good indicator of its truth. It's something like a gut feeling, if you like.

But we'll need more than a gut feeling to provide epistemological warrant for any claim that simplicity et al indicates truth.

Observed? Er, excuse me? Lots of measurements may have been made; an expanding universe most certainly has not been observed -- it has been inferred.
Inferred from..? Observations, no?
Seems to me -- assuming one defends the position that God was responsible for that massive explosion 14 billion years ago -- the universe has exactly the same measurable properties as it does now. No?

A literal Genesis-type Creation account is another matter, of course.
There is only a literal Genesis-type Creation account. Oh, and the Intelligent Design account which is a tautology.

Well, Einstein and many other scientists often make comments to the effect that the simplicity or elegance or beauty of a theory is a good indicator of its truth. It's something like a gut feeling, if you like.
I believe the movement toward efficiency is well described in Evolutionary (via Natural Selection) theory.

Last edited:

P.S. Why should we prefer your "Nature prefers the most efficient self-organization" over "God prefers the most efficient self-organization"?

Doesn't it seem reasonable to expect an all-powerful benevolent being to exhibit elegance and simplicity in his work? A complete mess, on the other hand, might suggest something else entirely (no god, an incompetent god, etc.).

What do you think?

Inferred from..? Observations, no?

Yes, inferred from observations. Not deduced, mind you. There's a huge difference. Any number of theories could conceivably account for the observations.

There is only a literal Genesis-type Creation account. Oh, and the Intelligent Design account which is a tautology.

Of course there isn't. Ask our religious friends here. One may give it a literal or a non-literal reading . . . precisely as one can do with any scientific theory.

P.S. Why should we prefer your "Nature prefers the most efficient self-organization" over "God prefers the most efficient self-organization"?
I know Nature, I don't know God or what that word even means. There have been 4000 gods. There has always been only one Nature.

A complete mess, on the other hand, might suggest something else entirely (no god, an incompetent god, etc.).

Yes, Chaos Theory explains the "beginning" quite persuasively. Occam's Razor.

I know Nature, I don't know God or what that word even means. There have been 4000 gods. There has always been only one Nature.

Clearly, what you're saying here (correct me if I'm wrong) is that 4000 gods have been postulated and all of them are wrong or unreal or not true.

I'd be inclined to agree, but I'd also point out that the same could be said for scientific theories.

Any idea how many theories of gravity there have been, and still are? Gods may pale in comparison!

Oh, and the Intelligent Design account which is a tautology.

I can make no sense of this. What's tautologous about "An intelligence is responsible for what we see in nature"?

It may be false, but I see nothing tautologous about it. What do you have in mind?

Last edited:

A bit more on this. Note first, if it is indeed a tautology (and I see no reason to believe it is) then it would be unfalsifiable. Right?

Second, we often see ID being rejected in places such as this on the grounds that it is unscientific. The reason it is unscientific, we are told, is that it is unfalsifiable.

It's also commonly asserted in places such as this -- perhaps even by the very same people -- that ID's claims about irreducible complexity -- flagella and whatnot -- have been thoroughly debunked (i.e. falsified) by science.

I trust the problem is clear. Something cannot be at once unfalsifiable and falsified. That which is unfalsifiable cannot be falsified.

Back