The joys of life without God

lightgigantic said:
Instead you end with some effect that has a mysterious cause - this is somehow supposed to indicate that consciousness is definitely not innvolved
No - it indicates that there is no explanation as yet, and may never be. To assume consciousness behind the creation is a matter of faith. To go beyond the "mysterious" and believe anything about it is a matter of faith.

“ I was establishing that for you to immediately refuse to acknowledge the idea of consciousness in universal affairs is highly premature since how the universe is created and why we have the world we have is still an unanswered question. ”
It's not a refusal to acknowledge the idea, but a refusal to accept it as the truth, or in fact as better or worse than any other idea for which there is no evidence, nor for which there can be any evidence. It is a refusal to "believe" that this is the case.

lightgigantic said:
It does however indicate that the previous body of knowledge that is superceeded is guesswork
No - merely analysis without all the information.
It is possible to come to wrong logical conclusions when only in possession of half the facts.

lightgigantic said:
But these are differences of functional aspects of the body - its not like the actual compounds are any different.
So when a car is sitting in your garage - the reason it's not moving is because... ?

Afterall, it is made up of exactly the same compounds while moving, no?

Life IS the functions.
It can not be separated from them.
Cease the functions - cease life.
The difference between an organ that is alive and one that is dead is that one functions! And the body is such a carefully balanced organism that cessation of one function can easily cause cessation of all.

The difference between the car in your garage and that same car moving on the road is that the moving car is functioning.

Sarkus

But these are differences of functional aspects of the body - its not like the actual compounds are any different. ”

So when a car is sitting in your garage - the reason it's not moving is because... ?

Afterall, it is made up of exactly the same compounds while moving, no?

In my expeience consciousnes is required to get a car to start - it may be the consciousness of the person with the key or the consciousness of a mechanic in more severe circumstances but there is no inorganic difference between a car will start and a car that won't start

Life IS the functions.
No the functions indicate life
Just like emmanating heat indicates fire

It can not be separated from them.
So since you cannot seperate emmanating heat from fire it indicates that emmanating heat is the cause of fire?

The difference between an organ that is alive and one that is dead is that one functions! And the body is such a carefully balanced organism that cessation of one function can easily cause cessation of all.
And without consciousness all the organs cease functioning .....
The difference between the car in your garage and that same car moving on the road is that the moving car is functioning.
.....just as a car does't go anywhere, even a functioning car, without consciousness

Actually since I have just gone through the labour of typing out these lists in James's post I might as well paste them here - basically you are both referring to the same thing - life and the symptoms of life are very specific things

Anyway DR Singh has offerred axiomatic breakdown of matter and life

MATTER

1.Is the inferior energy of the absolute truth
2. Satisfies conservation of (material) energy
3. Eternal
4. Obeys the laws of physics and chemistry to some extent
5. Lacks consciousness and inherant meaning and purpose

LIFE

1. The superior energy of the absolute truth
2. Satisfies conservation of (spiritual) energy
3. Eternal
4. Non -physical and non-chemical
5. Possesses consciousness and inherant meaning and purpose

He also offers th e phenomena by which we can detect the difference between matter and matter associated with life --like a dead tree and a living tree

Matter by itself

1. Inert and dead
2. Characterized by either low information content or absence of specific form beyond atomic and molecular structures
3. Reduces to thermodynamicaly stable states
4. Exhibits less organized flow of matter
5. Tends to lose form or pattern under transformation
6. Grows by external accumulation only (eg Crystal>>Crystal)
Exhibits only passive resistance (eg mountain)

Matter associated with Life

1. Animated substance or entity (eg a vehicle with a driver or a bird etcetc)
2. Characterised by high information content and very specific form
3. Thermodynamically unstable states play a dominant role
4. Exhibits a precisely regulated flow of matter (metabolism)
5. Undegoes transformation without loss of complex pattern (reproduction).
6. Grows from within by an intricate construction process (Eg Baby > Child > Youth > Old age)
7. Adaptive: tries to actively over come obstacles

Of course he went into details to explain these points more clearly but perhaps they give you something to respond to that isn't all angels and light and the glory of god or whatever you were thinking ID is supposed to be about

lightgigantic said:
Just trying to determine whether the cause is relative or not - if its not relative I want to be able to say that I heard it first on sciforums
:p
Relative to what?

All is not bad LG. Personally I like your style. Some people may think I've lost my mind but I assure you I'm not ready to convert. Part of being a forum member is to initiate debate, stand firm and counter punch. Mix in some controversy or things known to get under the skin of certain individuals and you have the making of a hit. Personally I think your standard fare is more or less doubletalk but very definitely aimed towards provocation. In fact I'm not convinced you actually believe in what you print otherwise I might get involved myself. For that reason I find most of your arguments follow a certain pattern, make a point, never waver and you never seem to really pay attention to what others say. You're like a machine in that respect. Forums need controversy and you are doing your part.

I think you have a very good idea what causes a star. In fact I think you have more than one and whatever is offered by a fellow participant you are ready to hit him/her with the other. It's a simple formula that I think some have figured out, unfortunately things are constantly repeated until the good arguments disappear so that eventually no one may want to debate with you. Introducing new 'buzz' words worked to a point but man if I have to hear you say epistemology or ontology one more time I think I'll go elsewhere just to stay sane. Sorry but its boring.

lightgigantic:

So what causes a star - tell me

That's a strange way of putting the question. Are you asking "How do stars form?" or something else? Be specific.

Last year Science Journal published 125 questions "What we don't know"
amongst them are
What is the universe made of?
What is the nature of gravity?
How do planets form?

Did you read that article?

It elaborated in some detail what aspects of these things are known and unknown. Your attempt to claim that we know nothing about these questions is easily refuted just by reading the article.

Molecular evolutionists have never seriously tried to explain consciousness, because the symptoms of consciousness awareness are simply beyond the realm of molecular description - in other words what if the gap cannot be filled by analysis of dead matter?

The level of description at which you examine something is always something you choose depending on what features you consider important. If I want to know the essential features of a tennis ball as it pertains to the game of tennis, I don't look at the ball on a molecular level and start my description with "A tennis ball is a combination of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms..."

Similarly, when it comes to consciousness, people generally approach it first at a general level. Consciousness is an emergent phenomenon, best understood in a simple way at a level above molecular biology.

To quote bohr "An analysis of the very concept of explanation would naturally begin and end with a renunciation as to explaining our own conscious activity" - since bohr felt that everything could be explained by quantum theory he had no choice but to "renounce" consciousness.

Can you provide the context of that quote, please? (i.e. quote the entire paragraph rather than one sentence.) I can't tell from this amount of text what Bohr was really trying to say.

so to get back to the original question whether scientific knowledge comes from science or people .....

I've already answered that one. Did you re-read my response? Did you understand it?

......you seem to be saying that it is people (scientists) that give us knowledge in science

Science is a human enterprise. It's factual content is obtained by people.

I can't see why you are laboring to sort out this simple matter. What's so difficult for you?

It usually means we have obtained new insights based on new evidence. That isn't guesswork, either.

It does however indicate that the previous body of knowledge that is superceeded is guesswork

Not at all. It simply means that the conclusions arrived at previously were mistaken or incomplete.

Well I may have a different set of morals - my case might be different - you however said that you do unto others, and it is obvious that you don't...

You presume too much. You don't know me or what I do or don't do.

You seem to be saying that it is enough to merely think that doing good unto others is enough to make one moral.

I have no idea how you managed to reach that conclusion. Regardless, you're wrong.

From what I have understood of morals regarding atheism (from your own example) and the morals of theism they are completely different.

Then I suggest you look into the matter more careful. Go off and read some atheist material on morality, and I think you will find many parallels to religious morality. There's plenty of stuff on the web where you can begin your education.

Well, stars are rather large and unwieldy things to try to keep in a lab...

Well you are the one who is saying you know how to make them

Yes, I am. So what?

So we can't even produce a rain cloud but I am supposed to accept that you can tell me how to build a star (when you have only observed stars form with a mechanism that operates on principles of uniformity that cannot be verified)????

Wrong on two counts:

1. We can produce a rain cloud. Every time you step out of the shower in a cloud of steam, you have produced something which is in essence a rain cloud.

2. The "principles of uniformity" you mention, known to science as the laws of physics, can be and in fact are very well verified indeed, both in general and in terms of their specific relation to star formation.

Maybe you need to learn some science. Making silly incorrect statements doesn't give your arguments much credibility.

Sure - you may a clue how a star is formed and quite a few educated guesses to boot but star formation doesn't fit so snuggly in the easy bin

As I said before, a star is actually a much less complicated object than you imagine it is. In physical terms, stars are in the "easy bin" compared to many other things. I mean, for a start, a star is composed mostly of just one element, hydrogen. The gross form of a star is determined by just two factors: thermal pressure and gravitation. Easy ... if you know a little physics, that is.

Well if you were going for brain surgery would you rather someone who was experienced doing th e operation or someone with theoretical knowledge?

There are two types of knowledge, sometimes called "procedural" and "declarative" knowledge. A surgeon needs both.

But so far, intelligent design theorists, to take one example, haven't produced any useful research outcomes.

Probably because they run the risk of getting fired the moment they mention the word "intelligent design"

Not at all. There is huge funding and political support for intelligent design in the United States. For example, look up the "Discovery Institute", which employs and otherwise funds many ID propagandists.

Nor have they suggested any promising new avenues of future research. What does that suggest to you?

that you have a habit of throwing in the trash bin anything that mentions ID unless it written to put it in a bad light

Well, given your limited knowledge of science, that you think this doesn't surprise me. I think you need to widen your learning. Your views are very limited at present.

In other words you refuse to entertain ideas that run parallel to theism simply because they are theistic?

No. I'm quite happy to entertain ideas which run "parallel".

But even if you make the perfect arrangement for life by material arrangement, life may or may not appear...

On what do you base that conclusion?

...and once life has appeared it can go at any moment, despite all attempts to house it in a suitable material environment

Life going is always accompanied by physical changes, as I pointed out earlier.

There are physical differences between a dead body and a live one. These differences can be measured objectively.

But these are differences of functional aspects of the body - its not like the actual compounds are any different.

Again, you're confused about the difference between the raw materials and the arrangement of those raw materials. When functional aspects of a body change, there are associated changes in the body's physical structures, even though the raw materials of those structures do not change.

Suppose we were looking for a fire (soul) - Suppose I said if you look for something that is hot, smokey and emitting light (living symptoms) that is actually a fire.
How would that be begging the question?
Inother words you are assuming that the symptoms of the soul (consciousness - or being alive) are the cause of the soul, when it is the other way around - the difference between the soul and "being alive" is that the soul is the cause, just as fire is the cause of the smoke, heat and light.

If you want to establish that A causes B, you must first establish the existence of A. You can't assume that A exists just because you don't know what causes B.

Your reasoning is circular because your argument is:

1. I assume that A causes B.
2. B exists.
3. Therefore B was caused by A.

Or perhaps your argument is slightly different:

1. B exists.
2. I can't think of anything that might cause B apart from A.
3. Therefore B was caused by A and A exists.

Can you see the flaw in that argument? (Insert A=soul B=life if in doubt).

Here is a quote from Roger Penrose

The issue of "responsibility" raises deep philosophical questions concerning the ultimate causes of our behaviour ... is the matter of "responsibility" merely one of convenience of terminology, or is there actually something else - a "self" lying beyond all such influences - which exerts a control over our actions? The legal issue of "responsibility" seems to imply that there is indeed, within each os, some kind of independent "self" with its own responsibilities - and, by implications, rights - whose actions are not attributable to inheritance, environment, or chance. If it is other than a mere convenience of language that we speak as though there were such an independant "self", then there must be an ingredient missing from our present day physical understandings. The discovery of such an ingredient would surely profoundly alter our scientific outlook"

I agree. But notice the big "if".

Anyway DR Singh has offerred axiomatic breakdown of matter and life

Who is Dr Singh?

MATTER

1.Is the inferior energy of the absolute truth
2. Satisfies conservation of (material) energy
3. Eternal
4. Obeys the laws of physics and chemistry to some extent
5. Lacks consciousness and inherant meaning and purpose

(1) is problematic and circular. It assumes an "absolute truth" is given, when in fact that is part of what needs to be established.

(3) is incorrect. Physics tells us matter is not eternal.

(4) The words "to some extent" are weasel words. The fact is: there is no evidence that matter doesn't obey the laws of physics and chemistry ALL THE TIME.

(5) "Meaning" and "purpose" are only definable in terms of human values. Here, Singh seems only to be defining his values, rather than saying anything useful about matter.

LIFE

1. The superior energy of the absolute truth
2. Satisfies conservation of (spiritual) energy
3. Eternal
4. Non -physical and non-chemical
5. Possesses consciousness and inherant meaning and purpose

(1) suffers the same problems mentioned above.

(2) "Spiritual energy" is not defined.

(3) I don't know what it means to claim that life is eternal.

(4) Biology shows us that life is clearly physical and chemical, so this is just wrong, or at least wildly non-specific and unhelpful.

(5) Many forms of life possess no consciousness. The same problems of meaning and purpose apply here as above.

Matter by itself

1. Inert and dead
2. Characterized by either low information content or absence of specific form beyond atomic and molecular structures
Exhibits only passive resistance (eg mountain)

(1) simply creates arbitrary categories. It is definitional rather than informative.

(2) I don't know how "information content" is being measured here.

(3) In many cases this is obviously not true, except in the extreme long term. But the same thing can be said of life.

(4) "Organisation" is also a loaded concept. We need a precise definition.

(5) Not true. Consider water forming ice, for example. The molecular structure gains form and pattern in the transformation.

(6) Very vague.

Matter associated with Life

6. Grows from within by an intricate construction process (Eg Baby > Child > Youth > Old age)
7. Adaptive: tries to actively over come obstacles

(1) "Animated" is another loaded term. Is a flying arrow "animated"?

(2) How is information measured?

(3) Can't see too many problems with this, but the same applies to "matter".

(4) Seems ok, although the question may be asked: what kind of "regulation" is he talking about?

(5) How does this apply to a simple bacterium?

(6) "Tries" is another loaded word.

Of course he went into details to explain these points more clearly...

Please link me to the original source. I think his definitions are unworkable, for the above reasons. What have other critics had to say?

I don't think your analogy works. The universe is not a country.

Why not?

Think.

PsychoticEpisode said:
All is not bad LG. Personally I like your style. Some people may think I've lost my mind but I assure you I'm not ready to convert. Part of being a forum member is to initiate debate, stand firm and counter punch. Mix in some controversy or things known to get under the skin of certain individuals and you have the making of a hit. Personally I think your standard fare is more or less doubletalk but very definitely aimed towards provocation. In fact I'm not convinced you actually believe in what you print otherwise I might get involved myself. For that reason I find most of your arguments follow a certain pattern, make a point, never waver and you never seem to really pay attention to what others say. You're like a machine in that respect. Forums need controversy and you are doing your part.

I think you have a very good idea what causes a star. In fact I think you have more than one and whatever is offered by a fellow participant you are ready to hit him/her with the other. It's a simple formula that I think some have figured out, unfortunately things are constantly repeated until the good arguments disappear so that eventually no one may want to debate with you. Introducing new 'buzz' words worked to a point but man if I have to hear you say epistemology or ontology one more time I think I'll go elsewhere just to stay sane. Sorry but its boring.

You can say that "behind the scenes I know you are a "this" or "that"" but the purposes of discussion is to examine ideas and let them stand on their own merits.

If you nearly went mad with words like epistemology and ontology imagine in what shape you would have been in if I replaced them with phrases like "how do you know that the knowable is known " and so on.
:D

lightgigantic said:
My question exactly - if you tell me what causes a star we can take a look and see
Ok then.

The simple version is this.

There are large clouds of gas (mostly hydrogen) and dust in galaxies. These clouds are not uniform in density. A small gravitational disturbance, say by the passage of an existing star, or radiation pressure from nearby stars, can cause the cloud to begin collapsing around a region of slightly higher density. These huge clouds can also be rotating ever so slightly.

As the cloud collapses, its increasing self gravitation accelerates the process until the pressure at the center of the "cloud" is high enough to create temperatures at which nuclear fusion begins to occurr. Conservation of angular momentum will also have transformed the tiny rotation of the cloud into a respectable stellar spin.

At this point, you have a baby star. Obviously the full mechanism is far more complex than this, but that's the jist of it.

Now what?

PsychoticEpisode said:
I'm dialing the psych hospital right now. I may have to sue when I get out. Hope you have a good lawyer.
I agree with the sentiment of your previous post and this one. It is wearing thin, and I think LG knows full well what he's doing. How much longer I'm willing to play along is my main question right now.

superluminal said:
I agree with the sentiment of your previous post and this one. It is wearing thin, and I think LG knows full well what he's doing. How much longer I'm willing to play along is my main question right now.

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I think we need people to create controversy and he did a great job but there is something lacking. Is he cocky, is he smug, is he overconfident or does he think he's smarter than the rest of us? I just don't want him to have a good laugh at my expense. I will not take the bait.

No web links on this - the DR is a PHD in organic chemistry (UC).. so I will do my best to fill in the blanks

“ Matter by itself

1. Inert and dead
Exhibits only passive resistance (eg mountain) ”

(1) simply creates arbitrary categories. It is definitional rather than informative.

The points between matter and life (or more correctly matter associated with lie) correlate with one another - so to take your example of a whizzing arrow - that is definitely matter in asociation with life - but an arrow lying inert on the ground is not.

(2) I don't know how "information content" is being measured here.
Matter is found in simple organised forms (like diamond crystal) or it lacks organisation all together - on the other hand structures of living organisms exhibit an intricate organisation that we are just beginning to understand. (the information content of a cell is something vastly different than that of a diamond crystal)

(3) In many cases this is obviously not true, except in the extreme long term. But the same thing can be said of life.
Matter by itself tends to reduce to thermodynamically stable forms that usuay consist of small molecules exhibiting little activity. ON the other hand in living organisms we see highly unstable molecules that are very easily broken down or denatured when subjected to ordinary chemical reactions

(4) "Organisation" is also a loaded concept. We need a precise definition.
Consider th e "Organisaion" of how a river flows toward the sea and consider the organisation of the krebs cycle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krebs_cycle -

(5) Not true. Consider water forming ice, for example. The molecular structure gains form and pattern in the transformation.

Obviously it is not on par with the reproductive capacities of an organism

(6) Very vague.

The growth of a crystal occurs by simple extenal accumulation while the organism grows by an elaborate internal construction process

“ Matter associated with Life

7. Adaptive: tries to actively over come obstacles ”

(1) "Animated" is another loaded term. Is a flying arrow "animated"?
answered previously - certainly arrows don't fly by them selves

(2) How is information measured?

(3) Can't see too many problems with this, but the same applies to "matter".

(4) Seems ok, although the question may be asked: what kind of "regulation" is he talking about?

(5) How does this apply to a simple bacterium?
they reproduce and still remain intact

(6) "Tries" is another loaded word.
Does a mountain try?

PsychoticEpisode said:
I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I think we need people to create controversy and he did a great job but there is something lacking. Is he cocky, is he smug, is he overconfident or does he think he's smarter than the rest of us? I just don't want him to have a good laugh at my expense. I will not take the bait.

If I appear cocky, smug and overconfident it is probably just a spontaneous reaction to similar sentiments expressed by atheists. There is a saying the way to get rid of a dog (in the sense of a stray) is to buy a dog.

But what do you expect from me?
A validation of your ideas?

Basically your charge is that religion and the notion of god is baseless and all imagination (BTW - If I have these attributes of impudence, what to speak of an atheist who is hanging out on a religious forum) and what I have done or am in the process of doing is establishing how that is not the case - now if you don't have the intellectual stamina to keep on top of things then what does that indicate?

I am finding as I am progressing along here that atheists tend to reach a critical point during the challenge where they spill out in to insult and character asassination - which BTW is where this dialouge between yourself and Psychotic episode is heading.

Don't think I am attached to whether you hold me in high opinion - but if you want to continue with the discussion you should be clear about what constitutes appropriate behaviour.

Don't think I am duty bound to respond to you

PS - Currently we are experiencing pre-monsoon weather conditions (which is one of the reasons I am on the computer so much) and will be on the move again - In my absence I guess it will be a delightful opportunity for this thread to revert back to its original constitutional condition
(ie athiests slamming the likes of witnessjudgejury across the virtual room for his mindless comments)

lightgigantic:

That is your only response to my previous post?

Well, I think we can leave it there. You've moved off topic anyway.

lightgigantic said:
If I appear cocky, smug and overconfident it is probably just a spontaneous reaction to similar sentiments expressed by atheists. There is a saying the way to get rid of a dog (in the sense of a stray) is to buy a dog.

But what do you expect from me?
A validation of your ideas?

Basically your charge is that religion and the notion of god is baseless and all imagination (BTW - If I have these attributes of impudence, what to speak of an atheist who is hanging out on a religious forum) and what I have done or am in the process of doing is establishing how that is not the case - now if you don't have the intellectual stamina to keep on top of things then what does that indicate?

I am finding as I am progressing along here that atheists tend to reach a critical point during the challenge where they spill out in to insult and character asassination - which BTW is where this dialouge between yourself and Psychotic episode is heading.

Don't think I am attached to whether you hold me in high opinion - but if you want to continue with the discussion you should be clear about what constitutes appropriate behaviour.

Don't think I am duty bound to respond to you

PS - Currently we are experiencing pre-monsoon weather conditions (which is one of the reasons I am on the computer so much) and will be on the move again - In my absence I guess it will be a delightful opportunity for this thread to revert back to its original constitutional condition
(ie athiests slamming the likes of witnessjudgejury across the virtual room for his mindless comments)

You can dangle the hook any way you want, bribe me with money, ply me with women, fill me with liquor, put intentional errors in your retorts and even use flattery but I will not bite. Goodnite.

The JOYS OF LIFE WITHOUT GOD.... are sin.

and the joy all stops, when you die...

because if there is a GOD... you will know suffering for eternity.

have fun without GOD.

-MT

PsychoticEpisode said:
You can dangle the hook any way you want, bribe me with money, ply me with women, fill me with liquor, put intentional errors in your retorts and even use flattery but I will not bite. Goodnite.

celo

Mosheh Thezion said:
The JOYS OF LIFE WITHOUT GOD.... are sin.

and the joy all stops, when you die...

because if there is a GOD... you will know suffering for eternity.
That's the utilitarian argument for the existance of God. If one believes in God, one lives a moral life and is rewarded in heaven. If one does not believe in God, and lives sinfully, one risks eternal damnation if you are wrong. If you believe in God and he does not exist, you've lived a moral life for nothing. But is that such a bad thing?

Back