The Inadequacy of Atheism

superluminal:

Was it not completely clear how concluding the lack of existence of god has nothing to do with faith?

me:

Where is the lack of evidence?

spidergoat:

When did someone come up with the idea of God? Do you really think that your examples are appropriate in this context? If so, what you doing here?

Well, the idea of one God probably started around 1600 BC, or before with Zoroastrianism. Does that make a difference? Before that there were other ideas. Are older ideas more accurate?

Yes, I do think my examples are appropriate. I am here because the subject of religion interests me.

superluminal:

Was it not completely clear how concluding the lack of existence of god has nothing to do with faith?

me:

Don't your feet get tired, dancing around the issue like this?

The post was simply about atheism not requiring faith. Are you, btw, reading comprehension challenged? If so, then I apologise.

Well, you have an old book full of mythology, and you have individual testimonies. Anyone can write a book (granted some stories describe historical events), and people can experience strange things, neither of which is reliable evidence.

Well, the idea of one God probably started around 1600 BC, or before with Zoroastrianism. Does that make a difference? Before that there were other ideas. Are older ideas more accurate?

Yes, I do think my examples are appropriate. I am here because the subject of religion interests me.

It started much earlier. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

So why do imaginary pink elephants not interest you?

Do you truly think that people who believe in a God are fools?

Chinese whispers...

Every idea of the impossible came from the idea of God.

The idea of God blew minds. It might have been a simple genius who came out with the idea or maybe God did talk?

It is impossible to talk for backward people in those times, maybe they did come up with the idea of God and miraculously began writing it down in three different parts of the world at the same time, who knows?

It started much earlier. Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

Chinese whispers...

The idea of God blew minds. It might have been a simple genius who came out with the idea or maybe God did talk?

It is impossible to talk for backward people in those times, maybe they did come up with the idea of God and miraculously began writing it down in three different parts of the world at the same time, who knows?
So, why does evidence not interest you?

How about some evidence for god that can be interpreted no other reasonable way?

davewhite04 said:
Who says they don't?
davewhite04 said:
I know people that believe in God, and some of them aren't fools.

davewhite04 said:
Chinese whispers...
The idea that a story can change a great deal as it is passed from person to person? Like Biblical mythology?

davewhite04 said:
I would like to hear an example of an idea of the impossible that came from the idea of monotheism. Strange and bizarre ideas are found throughout history, their source can be diverse. I'll wager the use of hallucinogenic sacrements gave birth to many an impossible thought.
davewhite04 said:
It was indeed an effective ideology. I doubt it was even one person that started it. I think religions evolve over time to suit the culture they come from.

davewhite04 said:
I don't consider all ancient people to be backwards. If you are referring to Judaism, Christianity and Islam- they did not occur at the same time.

Back