The Holy Land is a Killing Field

Something along the lines of "This land is my land" literally, "The soil of my nation".

Anyone who has not been nationless or had a history of occupation cannot comprehend it.

Possibly a black man or a native American would understand better.

Anyone who has not had the culture of landlessness will not understand why in The Kite Runner, the atheist Afghani empties his snuff box and puts in it some mud from the land before leaving it at the onset of the Russian invasion. Or why children from refugee camps in Lebanon are happy to receive bits of Palestinian earth in envelopes from their relatives in Ramallah.

It takes losing the right to live where you belong to understand what it means.

It takes losing the right to live where you belong to understand what it means.

And how was this right obtained? I'm not trying to single out you or the Muslims here, the Jews & Xians probably feel they have every right to the holy land also.

I have no interest in the holy land myself. For Muslims its all the same though some are attached to Mecca. I doubt the Palestinians are fighting for holy land, they are fighting for their homeland. The Jews have summer camps where they drill children with Israeli flags and Hebrew songs and Zionist fervour, and I see Americans, Russians and Europeans moving to Israel to make aliyah, so I suppose that is the holy part.

The Christians, like the Muslims, probably just come to visit it as an site of their religion.

A birthright? Ancestral? Right of passage?

Terms that have more meaning than they deserve perhaps? You or I can't help where we were born.

Thats birthright. But being in a foreign country, with no passport and no embassy, no identity even, is what it means to be without that birthright.

Thats birthright. But being in a foreign country, with no passport and no embassy, no identity even, is what it means to be without that birthright.

I'll bite...who are you referring to? Never mind. The Pals. If given a choice of living as normal a peaceful life you can attain or fighting your whole life for something that preceded your arrival, what is the most logical choice?

My mother was born here, her father in Ireland, does that make me Irish? No, I'm an assimilated Canadian.... G'nite SAM

I'll bite...who are you referring to? Never mind. The Pals. If given a choice of living as normal a peaceful life you can attain or fighting your whole life for something that preceded your arrival, what is the most logical choice?

My mother was born here, her father in Ireland, does that make me Irish? No, I'm an assimilated Canadian.... G'nite SAM

You're in a foreign country, without a passport and an embassy or an identity. How do you assimilate?

You're in a foreign country, without a passport and an embassy or an identity. How do you assimilate?

Mexicans do it in the USA all the time. In fact, it's estimated that some 12 million illegal Mexicans are living in the US ...buying cars, homes, living well and happy.

And, SAM, that's only talking about Mexicans ....there are others in this country doing the same from practically all nations on Earth!

Baron Max

(Palestinians I assume).

Your place of birth is not a foreign country. Who convinces a child that their country of birth is foreign? Why it's people who were in the same situation when they were born.

You assimilate when your parents decide that you are a citizen of the country of your birth. Hopefully they make that decision before the child is born. When they don't, the child more or less becomes a revolutionary. That's the Pals problem in a nutshell.

Mexicans do it in the USA all the time. In fact, it's estimated that some 12 million illegal Mexicans are living in the US ...buying cars, homes, living well and happy.
And, SAM, that's only talking about Mexicans ....there are others in this country doing the same from practically all nations on Earth!

Baron Max

The vast majority of Mexicans illegally in the USA do not assimilate. Most people from other countries illegally in the USA do not assimilate.

Back