The God of Science

I've shown that randomness is an unscientific assumption and thus should be kept out. There is nothing to "in which to work" when the very idea is unscientific.

You have shown no such thing. As a matter of fact I have shown the opposite. Randomness exists and science observes it.

The point of the thread was to show that "randomness" doesn't work with the scientific method to start with. It is not I who put "random mutations" in science, it is the scientists. The question was to "justify" this, and quite frankly no one has been able to do that using the scientific method and the knowledge that a hypothesis must be "testable".And your remarks about observations have already been answered previously.

Bullshit, you haven't even recognized my examples as factual observations that are un-predictable. Tests prove repeatedly random events are un-predictable and uncontrollable. My examples are the tests you say aren't possible.

my only question is to justify that randomness can be used as a scientific explanation. I claim it can't because the idea can't be tested- which yields the idea unscientific (which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist).

My example of spontaneous decay of a radioactive atom is agreed by most physicists as truly random. You present nonsense instead.

If God was created by humans to explain the unknowns and science created randomness to explain the unknowns that just means Science has a God which is called randomness. I can't understand why you can't follow this.

That is only your opinion and not scientific findings, I follow this.

The science that teaches you anything about "randomness". I'm simply ridding science of a unscientific assumption. I'm only trying to purify science not attack it.

You're not purifying science. Science's methodology and peer review keeps it pure and not you.

You have shown no such thing. As a matter of fact I have shown the opposite. Randomness exists and science observes it.

The assertion that "randomness" exists is purely unscientific. Randomness can't be proven to exist or not to exist.

Bullshit, you haven't even recognized my examples as factual observations that are un-predictable. Tests prove repeatedly random events are un-predictable and uncontrollable. My examples are the tests you say aren't possible.

First of all, all your examples were replied to by asking you if the conclusion that was said to be "random" was because there was something that proved it was random or because of the fact that there was something "unknown". You didn't reply to that. You will realize it has to do with the amount of information and thus randomness is shown to be a concept that is made up to explain what can not be explained. The quote you used is testament for that. "ANYTHING that can't be predicted is judged to be random". You didn't answer this either.

My example of spontaneous decay of a radioactive atom is agreed by most physicists as truly random. You present nonsense instead.

The example was replied to. My response was not "nonsense", can you please provide me with proof that the only explanation for their observation is nothing else but random- and not forgetting the fact that "random" is "ANTYHING that can't be predicted"- everything alludes to the fact that randomness is simply a word used to describe events that we can not predict due to the lack of information- this doesn't proof the "existence" of randomness- this is called an "argument from silence".

That is only your opinion and not scientific findings, I follow this.

I have repeatedly asked for your scientific evidence that can justify randomness as an explanation. All of your explanations were asserted randomness- not observed randomness. Re-read my replies to you and if you can try responding to them 1 by 1. I say again, which agrees with the quote you used, randomness is everything that we can't predict due to the lack of knowledge- this is a concept to explain the "unknown" not that it actually exists (it could, but we have no way of knowing this)- thus it is unscientific.

You're not purifying science. Science's methodology and peer review keeps it pure and not you.

Yes and I am showing that science's methodology demands that a hypothesis be testable- randomness is a untestable hypothesis- and again it is simply a concept to explain the unknown- which by definition can't be scientific because if it is "unknown" then what are you asserting?

Science's methodology eliminates randomness as an explanation. Also be reminded that it is the people who use the methodology that advance science- scientific methodology without people who use it is worthless. I am trying to show that scientists made a mistake, and I have used the rules of the scientific methodology to show that.

Read the quote that you quoted, it is proof of my argument. Random is a concept that entails everything that is unknown- since it is unknown we can not make accurate predictions- but to call that as some type of formal existence as "randomness" is a unscientific assumption and a baseless assertion since it is based upon something which is "unknown"- Again if something is "unknown" you have nothing to assert! Because it IS unknown!.

Peace be unto you ;)

Last edited:
As my final reply to you so that you have a response,
Phenomena that we cannot predict must be judged random, I refute your responses.

Randomness doesn't represent intelligence or a God.

As my final reply to you so that you have a response,
Phenomena that we cannot predict must be judged random, I refute your responses.

Thank you for affirming my point.:thumbsup:

Randomness doesn't represent intelligence or a God.

But it does represent that it was created for the same purpose as atheists blame religions for the creation of God- to explain the unknown- so essentially they are both for the same reason.

Peace be unto you :cool: and :wave:

Last edited:
Typical, take my posts out of context and then pretend your point has been proven.

Or equally possible is that you don't understand the quote that you used. :confused:

Peace be unto you ;) :)wave: now?)

[R]andomness ... is going to be a concept which is relative to our body of knowledge, which will somehow reflect what we know and what we don't know. Henry E. Kyburg, Jr ([1974], p. 217)

This also shows that randomness basically explains "what we don't know" - in other words "unknown"

Phenomena that we cannot predict must be judged random. Patrick Suppes ([1984], p. 32)

With this context the following quote (which you used) makes perfect sense and is quite accurate.

As such- randomness is simply a concept to show what we can't explain- because of something being outside "our body of knowledge"- thus only thing we can know about randomness is on a conceptual basis that can't be used as an explanation as randomness is a confession that something is outside our knowledge- to use our lack of knowledge to justify the existence of "truly random" is an assertion and unscientific at best- To avoid confusion it should be clearly stated that it as "unknown" rather than saying random, because as shown in this thread it is clearly a misunderstood concept. Randomness as an actual existence could be true but there is no way to show that, therefore Randomness (understood as "truly random") in itself is an untested, untestable, and therefore an unscientific explanation.

Peace be unto you :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Randomness doesn't represent intelligence. Randomness doesn't have thinking skills or cognitive abilities. To say science has a God which is called randomness is fallacy and has no scientific findings to substantiate that hypothesis. Science defines randomness quite differently than 786 does.

Randomness doesn't represent intelligence. Randomness doesn't have thinking skills or cognitive abilities. To say science has a God which is called randomness is fallacy and has no scientific findings to substantiate that hypothesis. Science defines randomness quite differently than you do.

Did it ever appear to you that I already addressed this in the OP? I am only using the word "god" in a conceptual manner.

God is untestable, Random is untestable
God was created by humans (so the atheists say) to explain the "unknown", Randomness ("true randomness") was created by humans to explain the "unknown"

In this regard they are the same- only the specifics of them are different. If one were to assert that God was initially created as an explanation for the unknown then it can be said that Science has a God!

Peace be unto you ;)

Last edited:
And let me quote "Cris" who said this- found it on his visitor message :)

Deliberately teaching untruths or teaching things that are not known to be true but are portrayed as truth, does a disservice to everyone, and isn't education but indoctrination and dishonesty"

Randomness needs to go in order for science to remain science :cool:

Peace be unto you ;)

Last edited:
Hi 786. I'll continue the debate from here.

Why must randomness go in order for science to remain science? Do you realize that randomness occurs in virtually all biological experimentation, and in every system? The very foundation of all biostatistics expressly includes randomness.

Hi 786. I'll continue the debate from here.

Why must randomness go in order for science to remain science?

Science requires that a hypothesis be testable- Randomness basically tries to explain the "unknowns"- but because they are unknown there is nothing you can test about it, that is why it IS unknown- an assertion that this "unknown" is random is baseless.

Do you realize that randomness occurs in virtually all biological experimentation, and in every system?

Either you have not read my responses or you simply want me to repeat myself. Anyways please go on to show this "randomness", I strongly encourage you to read my responses on the last 2-3 pages, because I have a feeling I'm going to be repeating myself.

The very foundation of all biostatistics expressly includes randomness

Perhaps the foundation is unscientific and I would like to change that, as I said by removing randomness from science.

My argument is NOT that randomness doesn't exist.
My argument is that you can't not say random exists or does not exist (like God) because this is untestable. Randomness as a concept is only used to explain the unknown- but to use this and say that the "unknown" is random is a baseless claim without any proof, observable or otherwise- thus it renders the argument unscientific by the Scientific method.

Peace be unto you ;)

Science requires that a hypothesis be testable- Randomness basically tries to explain the "unknowns"- but because they are unknown there is nothing you can test about it, that is why it IS unknown- an assertion that this "unknown" is random is baseless.

Actually, not at all. Random variance is indeed random with respect to the variables being tested, unless one can detect skew or deviations from normal kurtosis in the residuals of the model. Randomness is not trying to explain the unknowns. Rather, it describes them. You could get better model fits with different proportions of variance by adding, dropping or altering the configuration of model terms or the original data, of course. But you can indeed test the distribution of randomness around any given mean.

Either you have not read my responses or you simply want me to repeat myself. Anyways please go on to show this "randomness", I strongly encourage you to read my responses on the last 2-3 pages, because I have a feeling I'm going to be repeating myself.

I have not read your responses. It is not necessary to do so, since we have embarked on a different approach to the resolution of this issue.

Perhaps the foundation is unscientific and I would like to change that, as I said by removing randomness from science.

This does not make sense. Randomness - residual variance, essentially - exists in every ANOVA, every linear model, every REML analysis and every gene mapping project and expression analysis. How will you "remove" randomness? What kind of randomness? Residual variance? I hate to tell you this, but it's impossible. Even a simple contingency table is not going to conform to expectation except in the rarest cases.

My argument is NOT that randomness doesn't exist.
My argument is that you can't not say random exists or does not exist (like God) because this is untestable. Randomness as a concept is only used to explain the unknown- but to use this and say that the "unknown" is random is a baseless claim without any proof, observable or otherwise- thus it renders the argument unscientific by the Scientific method.

Not exactly, no, for several reasons.

First, you cannot by definition ascribe any other cause to randomness without testing. The simplest answers are: i) that the variance has no cause but random error. This is not in any sense a "non-concept", unless you can identify and test some other reason for the random variance. ii) that the variance has some other natural cause which can be tested. Those other causes are open to testing, so long as they can be identified. This is frequently difficult in a natural setting, which is why I use established laboratory settings and known strains and populations. But - by utter fact - randomness does exist. Without randomness, there can be no probability, and no probability theory. Even the simplest coin toss is - by definition - primarily random. So, without randomness, there is no science, period.

Peace be unto you ;)

And to you. ;)

786:

That's true. Statistics requires a series or collection of events or observations that can then be analysed for patterns of randomness. Or, to look at it another way, statistics tells us what properties to expect from a number random events taken as a set.

That is an assumption that they (data-points, event) are random to begin with. This is also an assumption that something being a controlled event couldn't give the same results- which it can or at least the possibility exists. To simply assert that we can make a probability curve isn't proof enough for randomness. You can't say the probability curve associates with something "random" when in fact it can be a controlled event that can give the same result. So the assumption is premature.

There's no assumption of randomness at the beginning. As I said, we can do statistical tests for randomness.

And yes, it is possible to "fake" randomness if you're very careful. Human beings generally aren't very good at it.

That can be an effect of psuedorandomness, which can be created on a algorithm basis and thus not completely random. Also that doesn't negate the fact that the result could also match a controlled event. Both cases are unprovable or testable thus the assumption is unscientific.

Occam's razor dictates that we work with the simplest possible set of assumptions. If something passes all statistical tests of randomness, then the default position is to assume it is random unless there is actual evidence to the contrary. Postulating that God, for example, is controlling the events in such a way that they LOOK totally random, is a much more complicated set of assumptions that simply assuming that the events are actually random. In other words, God is an unnecessary hypothesis in this situation. And that is the scientific approach.

As you have said that statistics looks at sets of data and gives a verdict of random (if it fits) to everything that entails the dataset- This is also a false assumption. It is possible also that everything was controlled to appear like "random"- but it is possible that a select few mutations were specifically caused with absolute control.

Yes, it is possible. But also not helpful from a scientific point of view. Since there's no way to prove that "God did it" in causing those few mutations, and because the mutations are consistent with the assumption of randomness, God is once again an unnecessary hypothesis.

As an explanation for evolution, what creationists need is to show that it couldn't have happened without God intervening. Asserting that God did it but in such a way that his actions are indistinguishable from randomness is no proof of God. It's just introducing an extra unnecessary assumption, and a very complex one at that.

Agreed, but again as you point out the only reason we call [a coin toss] random is because we can't predict it with the information we currently have. Nothing is to say that we can't with more info? So again the conclusion of randomness is based upon the "unknown" factor which is an untestable assumption.

All you're saying here is that the definition of randomness can depend on our state of knowledge of the system. I agree with you.

Suppose you have a hat with numbers on pieces of paper and you draw them with your eyes closed- statistics would have us believe this is random. Suppose you do that same experiment with your eyes opened and the person looking at it- this would allow the person to draw what he wants- this would be non-random.

Having the same experiment with different conditions changes a supposedly "random" experiment into a "non-random" one.

Yes. Although in your example you might ask "For whom is this a random draw?" For the person looking at what he is drawing and selecting the pieces of paper deliberately according to some plan, it is clearly not random. But for a spectator who doesn't know what the person is looking for when drawing the numbers, the draw could still very well be random for all intents and purposes. The difference is in the information available to the people - a point you made earlier.

The only reason quantum effect is not predictable even in principle is because in principle they can't have enough information to predict it. This basically follows from the Uncertainty Principle- which basically says we're limited to what we can know. Since we can't know everything "principally" anything outside would be "principally" unpredictable- this is not proof of randomness. And again this only shows that you are saying something is "random" due to the"unknown" factor. Nothing more.

In the quantum case, there are actually proofs that there cannot be any "unknown factors" that actually determine the outcome in advance. If you're interested, look up Bell's inequalities and "hidden variable theories".

Would you mind telling me properties of "random" that do not depend on the factor that something is "unknown" about the system? If something is unknown- that is the end of story- to assert it is random is unscientific at best.

Not at all. Randomness is a defined quality. We can define randomness precisely and simply, which is exactly what statistics is all about. The simply define a random series of events as a series of events that displays a certain set of statistical properties. And yes, this depends on something being unknown. For example, in the coin toss example we say the coin toss is random because we cannot know as a matter of fact in advance whether a coin will land heads or tails.

Just as Atheists accuse religions that Humans developed the idea of God to explain the "unknowns" of their time, so I claim that scientists have come up with a concept to explain their "unknowns"- if the former can't be considered an explanation then the latter can not be either.

But there are plenty of things that are unknown that cannot be explained by postulating randomness. Randomness, paradoxically, shows certain statistical patterns when you consider large enough data sets. Things that are not random but are still unknown can be clearly categorised as "unknown but definitely not random".

So, randomness is not a catch-all explanation in the same way that "God did it" is. God can be used to explain literally anything and everything. Randomness cannot. You can prove that something is non-random. You can't prove that God didn't do something. That's why randomness is scientific and God isn't. Randomness is falsifiable. God is not.

I'll respond to both of you on the weekend. I ended up skipping my classes today because of all the discussion- I think I made more than 60 posts today :rolleyes:

So excuse me for the delay, I can't screw up my exams for this ;)

Peace be unto you ;)

Maybe you should take one, then you will understand what scientists mean when they talk about randomness. You will find it is very different to what you currently seem to think.

Maybe you should take one, then you will understand what scientists mean when they talk about randomness. You will find it is very different to what you currently seem to think.

I have taken stats before, I was simply talking about the current classes which are not math related, they're now more focused on the biology/physiology part now. Before it was some math and also evolution systematic type stuff but I'm over with that last year.

Anyways I want to give a thorough response so that is why I want to hold off until I have enough time to actually sit down and give a good response- at the same time I don't want to be skipping classes by being too much into this discussion. So a little time off is a good thing hopefully.

I'll still be checking and replying to posts that don't require too much time.

Peace be unto you ;)

Back