The God Denying Method

Even though it's not my argument, here is evidence between intelligence and religious propensity:

http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence & religion.htm

See also Nyborg (2008), which shows a positive correlation between conservative religiosity and cognitive function. Basically, the study results demonstrate that the more intelligent one is, the less likely they are to be religious. The more conservatively religious someone is, the less intelligent they're likely to be.

This study was based on the results of existing test scores used by the Department of Defense (the ASVAB test that many adolescents take every year in high school) and use to place potential service members in jobs and specialties to which they are cognitively suited. It also used the CAT. The data were independently arrived at via the National Longitudinal Study of Youth (NLSY97).

That's not to say that all religious people are of low intelligence, by the way. There were a couple of liberal religious groups that scored slightly better than atheists, but, by and large, fundamentalist and conservative religionists scored significantly lower that atheists and liberal adherents.
Nyborg, Helmuth (2008). The intelligence-religiosity nexus: a representative study of white adolescent Americans. Intelligence, 37(1), 81-93.

Such unexpected indignation from you JDawg...let me explain then. Without a hint of uncertainty, you claimed that the origin of religion was to explain what was unknown. That is an unwarranted reduction of religion, which has many aspects you neglected to consider in your original writing off of religion as explanatory in essence (hence, more complex).While religion has been used to explain what was unknown, it is also used to create order in society and it is also used as comfort and divine justice in a dangerous and uncertain world. The explanatory aspect would be a by-product of another use. I am not arguing from ignorance, but of understood unknowing, in other words, i understand that it cannot be known how it originated empirically or otherwise, whereas you claimed to know the case and that was that...

How is it an unwarranted reduction? I should be obvious to the observer by reading the religious texts that the need for religion arose from an ignorance of the world around us. This is why some religions worship the sun, why others offer sacrifices to their gods for a beneficial rain, and why some, to this very day, blame famines and floods and earthquakes on the behaviors of man.

Clearly, the idea of a divine force rose from man not understanding what caused the world around it to function. Imagine not knowing the mechanics of an earthquake. Now imagine that you are who you are--a rational, reasoning being that is capable of asking questions. When you put the two together, you have the need for a divine force.

Yes, religion also serves as a mean of governance. But it in no way is required for societal order, nor is it even remotely effective as such. If it were, there would be no need for a prison system. And yet...

You accuse me of devaluing religion, yet all you've done is give it greater value than even the most liberal religious scholar would.

Theocratic-->Theocracy, rule by the religious, in order to offset natural inability to control the subjects of a land effectively, its possible leaders appealed to an abstract notion of authority of whom they had exclusive contact with and who gave them the divine mandate to corporeally punish those who disobeyed and would punish them horribly in the next life...

That's just not true. There is no natural inability to control the subjects of a land. As a matter of fact, I would contend that theocracies are inherently less effective at controlling the people of a nation. They often resort to violence as a deterrent and a means of crowd control far more often than secular or non-theocratic society does.

So I am told the origin of religion is obvious...obviously not, I am contesting your consideration of the different aspects of religion...Furthermore, you first talk about extraordinary phenomenon like global flooding and multiple suns (stuff that is absolutely not mundane) and then say that religion turns what is mundane into a testament to the mystical power of God. Having naturally impossible accounts of natural events in the Bible undermines the assertion that religion was explanatory in nature because only that which can actually happen naturally can be potentially explained, instead religion states what could not possibly happen and attributes it to god.

See, this is again what I mean. You read these accounts as if they actually happened, instead of reading them as accounts by people who didn't know any better. There was no such global flood. There weren't really multiple or dancing suns. But, to the local observer who does not know anything more than the immediate area around him, a flood that leaves them all up to their necks in water for as far as the eye can see sure might seem like a global flood, wouldn't it?

And this is why all studies point to a correlation between intelligence and religiosity. You read these texts as a person of faith, and therefore not willing (or able, perhaps?) to read them objectively. You won't read them critically. Even if it's intentional, you shut down you reasoning mind in favor of your comforting faith, and that makes you a less-intelligent person.

When I asked the question, I did not already have a predicted answer so I'm pleased you did tell me about the study. However, IQ does not equal intelligence. The citation is weakened by that distinction alone. I say this in no condescending way, but have you ever taken a real IQ test? It singles out a specific mental faculty. Intelligence is holistic. Hey Binet, what do you think? "The scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured." You dont say...

Like I said, it isn't perfect, and it does not pretend to pinpoint exact numbers, or even the exact correlation, but the evidence is strong enough that it is very certain that there is a connection between intelligence and religiosity. Plus, this is backed up by numerous polls and surveys.

I have a reason as to why I spoke with you as well, I was specifically interested in theists responses to examples of seeming contractions of what is collectively inerrant truths. You, if you were right, might deter them from speaking up at all. This talk about chiming and stepping in: this is a public forum, on top of that, this is a thread I started, everyone is supposed to chime in. You are more than welcome to your private conversations, however don't hold it against us we have something to say about your posts made on a site specifically facilitating intelligent dialogue.

Well, I am right, and if the realization of their own ignorance gives them pause before they spout off some uninformed, dogmatic drivel that they themselves don't even comprehend, then great! That's a good thing, Sin! You should be aiming for quality of argument, not quantity. You should be aiming to enlighten, not to turn a blind eye to ignorance.

How is it an unwarranted reduction? I should be obvious to the observer by reading the religious texts that the need for religion arose from an ignorance of the world around us. This is why some religions worship the sun, why others offer sacrifices to their gods for a beneficial rain, and why some, to this very day, blame famines and floods and earthquakes on the behaviors of man.
While its true that we see these things in religion, it is also true that there are many hypotheses held by anthropologists, sociologists and psychologists for the evolution of religion. Filling voids in human knowledge and intellect is but a single one of these. It may be that this hypothesis is the correct one. Or it may be that explanations of the world and mysteries unintended by-products of the real cause of religious thought. A spandrel so to speak.

The thing that many people miss about religious explanations and mysteries, is that the person who holds special knowledge of the universe and claims to have either an understanding of mystery or access to divine understanding, is one whom others will willingly defer to. While we can see this in modern religions (Billy Graham, Bin Laden, various Ayatollahs, the Pope, etc.), I'm talking more about ancient religious practices and thoughts. The best material evidence shows us that priests held as much power and status as kings in Mesopotamia and we can infer that in early band-level societies much the same was probably true ("infer" because we are left strictly with non-written material goods prior to about 5000-6000 BCE).

Therefore, there is something to the notion that the origins of religion is far more complex "than to attribute it as an attempt to explain the mysterious environment." This was a very likely component, but it probably took some very charismatic shaman or priestly leaders to organize adherents to the right kind of piety. Political and theocratic power may very well have been a primary motivator in developing the meme of religion.

But there's also a lot to be said about certain neurological propensities that exist in the human brain which permit such memes to take hold.

JDawg, I have not accused you of devaluing religion, just not considering all the uses of it (and thank you SkinWalker for backing me up on that). You may have missed that I'm interested in disproving the various gods of the world, not increasing their worth, its astounding how you've misinterpreted my intentions this much. I absolutely do not take the stories of the sun stopping for a day or the global flood as fact personally, but I will for the sake of debate with someone who believe it does have bearing on their religious belief-its a preferable launching point from which you might reveal to them their unknowing..."You should be aiming to enlighten, not to turn a blind eye to ignorance." :) Oh yeah?! Im quite fond of you practically quoting my advice, but not so much of the insinuation of my turning a blind eye to ignorance. I specifically said in an earlier post "demonstrate how what they believe is perniciously irrational and misleading." Ignorance is a disease that should be cured wherever diagnosed...Again, how you misinterpret my intentions is beyond amazing. I must tell you, you are mistaken about any theist coming to this epiphany that they are intellectually inferior and subsequently developing some unexpected equanimity, what you would do is breed resentment and argument that sidetracks what I was hoping to accomplish in this thread. Even if that were the case, that a theist would hold his tongue at the sight of the studies, it does nothing to correct their belief, they will hold it in silence. Let them speak and if you feel their arguments weak, demonstrate why please. If you cannot 'enlighten' them, then the same silence would be appreciated from you.

While its true that we see these things in religion, it is also true that there are many hypotheses held by anthropologists, sociologists and psychologists for the evolution of religion. Filling voids in human knowledge and intellect is but a single one of these. It may be that this hypothesis is the correct one. Or it may be that explanations of the world and mysteries unintended by-products of the real cause of religious thought. A spandrel so to speak.

The thing that many people miss about religious explanations and mysteries, is that the person who holds special knowledge of the universe and claims to have either an understanding of mystery or access to divine understanding, is one whom others will willingly defer to. While we can see this in modern religions (Billy Graham, Bin Laden, various Ayatollahs, the Pope, etc.), I'm talking more about ancient religious practices and thoughts. The best material evidence shows us that priests held as much power and status as kings in Mesopotamia and we can infer that in early band-level societies much the same was probably true ("infer" because we are left strictly with non-written material goods prior to about 5000-6000 BCE).

Therefore, there is something to the notion that the origins of religion is far more complex "than to attribute it as an attempt to explain the mysterious environment." This was a very likely component, but it probably took some very charismatic shaman or priestly leaders to organize adherents to the right kind of piety. Political and theocratic power may very well have been a primary motivator in developing the meme of religion.

But there's also a lot to be said about certain neurological propensities that exist in the human brain which permit such memes to take hold.

I really don't see it. It's clear to me that the main purpose religion serves is the answering of question. The texts all begin with creation stories, and virtually all of them offer at least an answer as to what happens after we die. That's what so many of them are based on that it should be evident that the entire idea of a higher power, or spiritual realm, was meant to answer questions.

JDawg, I have not accused you of devaluing religion, just not considering all the uses of it (and thank you SkinWalker for backing me up on that). You may have missed that I'm interested in disproving the various gods of the world, not increasing their worth, its astounding how you've misinterpreted my intentions this much. I absolutely do not take the stories of the sun stopping for a day or the global flood as fact personally, but I will for the sake of debate with someone who believe it does have bearing on their religious belief-its a preferable launching point from which you might reveal to them their unknowing..."You should be aiming to enlighten, not to turn a blind eye to ignorance." :) Oh yeah?! Im quite fond of you practically quoting my advice, but not so much of the insinuation of my turning a blind eye to ignorance. I specifically said in an earlier post "demonstrate how what they believe is perniciously irrational and misleading." Ignorance is a disease that should be cured wherever diagnosed...Again, how you misinterpret my intentions is beyond amazing. I must tell you, you are mistaken about any theist coming to this epiphany that they are intellectually inferior and subsequently developing some unexpected equanimity, what you would do is breed resentment and argument that sidetracks what I was hoping to accomplish in this thread. Even if that were the case, that a theist would hold his tongue at the sight of the studies, it does nothing to correct their belief, they will hold it in silence. Let them speak and if you feel their arguments weak, demonstrate why please. If you cannot 'enlighten' them, then the same silence would be appreciated from you.

I've already demonstrated why certain arguments are weak. I've done so in this very thread. As have others.

I'm not going to have a back-and-forth with you if you have no intention of arguing the topic of this thread, or the matter at hand. Your entire post here is either a personal attack, or off-topic, or both in some places.

So far it is I who have demonstrated the link between intelligence (or lack thereof) and religiosity. You, on the other hand, have demonstrated nothing. I've countered your points, and your response is...this...whatever this might be, I'm not sure, but it certainly isn't an argument.

So please, if you want to continue, argue your point. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Sin,

Jan dear, you'll have to explain in what manner you are a theist and what you mean by 'actual God' because it sounds to me that you do indeed defend an abstract deity or one of universalist flavour.

Okay, let's get back to basics.
I have no reason to believe the person referred to as "God" in any of the main scriptures, is anything but the same person.
There can only be one Supreme Being.
It would be silly to think anything else.

If thats the case, my powers are too slight for the task of tackling what is undefined.

God is basically defined as "the supreme being.
What is so hard in tacking that?

However, like SkinWalker had similarly pointed out, any god that has apparent bearing on the world exists within religion and we therefore may actually be able to deny existence to them upon scrutiny of their own actions for inconsistency or otherwise, falsehoods.

The religion isn't God.

You've said the nature of god can be found in all religious texts while saying, while simultaneously denying that humans understand the meaning of existence, which, without this prerequisite, no reliable nature can truly be drawn from.

I said;..."you can learn about the nature of God in any scripture...".
Where did I deny human understanding of the meaning of existence? :shrug:

Everywhere, God says "I am ____" and "I do ____", all indicating that he exists to retain a certain personality trait or to do a certain action. So I don't think it's a materialist concept at all, its a necessary premise to even be having a conversation about this.

God has a nature, you may or may not believe he exists, that is immaterial.
If you want to discuss God, great, but understand that He has a nature which is defined and explained so that humans can understand.
If when you are denying God, you deny that aspect about Him, then you are no longer denying God. Does that make sense?
To ask for scientific proof of evidence, that God exists, and then to conclude
that God does not exist on account of lack of evidence, is a delusion.

The problem lies in distinguishing impostors from what God may 'actually be like'. We are able to do this by cross-referencing alleged truths with each other (verses) and seeing how they do or do not support a consistent image of God.

If you take on board the actual supremity of God, in your summation, then you will see why that kind of reasoning is non-sensical.

I am more than prepared to accept that it was the action of a loving God, I expect it. By his own proclamation, He is love, but from love springs violent bear massacre of youths...?

Are you in a position to know what the intention of this gang were?
Do you know what the consequences of their actions would have been?
Do you know whether or not, the attack by bears wasn't signigicant?
Do you know whether or not them being attacked, or killed, by God,
wasn't their actual salvation?
If you do not include God's nature, then what do you actually know?

There is no reason to believe he brought them back to life, even then, the question would change to how God may go through tantrums that still violate his self-ascribed nature. Rectification after the fact does not change the fact.

My point was, Elisha, through the power of God, brought an infant back to life.

jan.

Hello, Jan
God is basically defined as "the supreme being.
What is so hard in tacking that?
This can simply refuted; A supreme being, who has a given nature(Like you said), must act with in coherence of that nature. He is no longer supreme, he acts within the boundaries of "himself". A supreme entity can not be defined, if anything no such thing exists.

The religion isn't God.
But it is his nature? He is governed by it, if anything I believe the religion is supreme over God. Think which has had more influence?

<3, Sardaukar

Yo yo yo, JDawg
I really don't see it. It's clear to me that the main purpose religion serves is the answering of question. The texts all begin with creation stories, and virtually all of them offer at least an answer as to what happens after we die. That's what so many of them are based on that it should be evident that the entire idea of a higher power, or spiritual realm, was meant to answer questions.
If an accumulation of Scientist attempt to answer a question, does it become a religion? No, a religion is manifestation of different philosophies/moral principle governing how man should spend his life. It's answers but solely assure that the moral edifices religion provides, are with not out reason.

Yes, religion aims to solve life's mysteries (I think poorly). Such questions may have took part in the compilation of religion as a whole, but to conclude that religion was spawned simply from postulate thinking? You're daft to do so.

<3, Sardaukar

I see the clarity you have with regard to written texts, but one of the periods of religion and cult that I study primarily exists prior to the technology of writing. Consider that material evidence of religion goes back perhaps as far as 45,000 years (depending upon whether you consider the "flower burial" of H. neanderthalensis at Shanidar evidence of ritual and/or religion). Clear evidence of established cult practices existed 10,000 years ago in Göbekli Tepe and 9,000 years ago in the Levant with the Natufian culture at modern Jericho.

This is easily 5,000 years of religion prior to writing. Clearly people need to be prone to superstition and irrational thought (even atheists have irrational fears and beliefs that are outside of religious), but the question remains: did superstition and a need to explain the universe give rise to Religion; or did Religion derived from political hegemony make providing explanation in exchange for deference of the people convenient.

If the latter is the case, then we would expect to see clear signs of ancestor worship evolving into a more organized form of ritualistic cult adherence, perhaps projecting long-venerated ancestors into deities. The archaeological record of the Levant reveals just this, so I'm in the camp that Religion (big "R") is the result of charismatic leaders exploiting innate tendencies of people to believe and accept the supernatural to create a system in which the many directly benefit the few while perceiving an indirect benefit to the many. In other words, a priestly class reaps immediate reward in status and wealth while the adherents perceive a reward of knowledge, community, and social standing and solidarity within a group. This perception can either be actualized or imagined.

I'd recommend reading and article by Steven Pinker, titled The Evolutionary Psychology of Religion, found in Where God and Science Meet: How Brain and Evolutionary Studies Alter Our Understanding of Religion, Vol. 1 (Patrick McNamara, ed. 2006).

See also Nyborg (2008), which shows a positive correlation between conservative religiosity and cognitive function. Basically, the study results demonstrate that the more intelligent one is, the less likely they are to be religious. The more conservatively religious someone is, the less intelligent they're likely to be.

This study was based on the results of existing test scores used by the Department of Defense (the ASVAB test that many adolescents take every year in high school) and use to place potential service members in jobs and specialties to which they are cognitively suited. It also used the CAT. The data were independently arrived at via the National Longitudinal Study of Youth (NLSY97).

That's not to say that all religious people are of low intelligence, by the way. There were a couple of liberal religious groups that scored slightly better than atheists, but, by and large, fundamentalist and conservative religionists scored significantly lower that atheists and liberal adherents.
Nyborg, Helmuth (2008). The intelligence-religiosity nexus: a representative study of white adolescent Americans. Intelligence, 37(1), 81-93.

That's really interesting. It implies that the conservative/fundamentalist mindset is an effect of lower intelligence.

Nyborg makes it clear in the study that he isn't trying to speak to causality, rather he's only showing the correlation. It could very well be that a fundamentalist/conservative lifestyle interferes with intelligence :)

Yo yo yo, JDawgIf an accumulation of Scientist attempt to answer a question, does it become a religion? No, a religion is manifestation of different philosophies/moral principle governing how man should spend his life. It's answers but solely assure that the moral edifices religion provides, are with not out reason.

Woah, ease up a bit. First, some will tell you that religion was man's first attempt at philosophy, so consider that before you try to contrast them. Second, I am not saying that complex ideologies such as Christianity spawned simply from the earth shaking and people not knowing what caused it. What I'm saying is that long before any of that, the premise of religion--the reason man invented a god or gods and began to believe in the supernatural and spiritual--was the fact that they were trying to explain the world around them. I'm sure leading moralists pooled their efforts and decided to use religion to their advantage later on, but I don't see that being as how it started. Not at all.

Yes, religion aims to solve life's mysteries (I think poorly). Such questions may have took part in the compilation of religion as a whole, but to conclude that religion was spawned simply from postulate thinking? You're daft to do so.

Again, stop looking at it from a Judeo-Christian point of view, and consider what the first religions looked like before you call me daft.

Skinwalker said:
I see the clarity you have with regard to written texts, but one of the periods of religion and cult that I study primarily exists prior to the technology of writing. Consider that material evidence of religion goes back perhaps as far as 45,000 years (depending upon whether you consider the "flower burial" of H. neanderthalensis at Shanidar evidence of ritual and/or religion). Clear evidence of established cult practices existed 10,000 years ago in Göbekli Tepe and 9,000 years ago in the Levant with the Natufian culture at modern Jericho.

This is easily 5,000 years of religion prior to writing. Clearly people need to be prone to superstition and irrational thought (even atheists have irrational fears and beliefs that are outside of religious), but the question remains: did superstition and a need to explain the universe give rise to Religion; or did Religion derived from political hegemony make providing explanation in exchange for deference of the people convenient.

If the latter is the case, then we would expect to see clear signs of ancestor worship evolving into a more organized form of ritualistic cult adherence, perhaps projecting long-venerated ancestors into deities. The archaeological record of the Levant reveals just this, so I'm in the camp that Religion (big "R") is the result of charismatic leaders exploiting innate tendencies of people to believe and accept the supernatural to create a system in which the many directly benefit the few while perceiving an indirect benefit to the many. In other words, a priestly class reaps immediate reward in status and wealth while the adherents perceive a reward of knowledge, community, and social standing and solidarity within a group. This perception can either be actualized or imagined.

I'd recommend reading and article by Steven Pinker, titled The Evolutionary Psychology of Religion, found in Where God and Science Meet: How Brain and Evolutionary Studies Alter Our Understanding of Religion, Vol. 1 (Patrick McNamara, ed. 2006).

Interesting. Perhaps I'm being misunderstood, then? I do not mean "religion" as in Christianity and Judaism and Islam. I don't mean it as in Buddhism. I mean it in it's most primitive sense, the kind of religion that arose in along with language--and perhaps before, however unlikely that is--and before it evolved into its current state of serving as primarily a moral guideline.

I understand there is a case for both (or more) sides of the argument. I understand that we have observed chimps and bonobos having to change their personal behaviors in order to make group living work, which could indicate an evolutionary step toward morality. I understand that some believe morality was the driving force behind the creation of religion. But I also understand that in order for man to make tools, he had to have some causal understanding, and if so, was able to ask the question "How am I here?" He was able to wonder about big things like why the earth shakes sometimes and why it doesn't rain for weeks and weeks, and then why when it does rain, it sometimes rains so much that we're up to our knees in it. Why the big loud booms? What are those dots of light in the sky? To me, that is where it all started.

Woah, ease up a bit. First, some will tell you that religion was man's first attempt at philosophy, so consider that before you try to contrast them.

Religion and philosophy share many similarites, a few sublte differences though. I also do not recall contrasting them.
Second, I am not saying that complex ideologies such as Christianity spawned simply from the earth shaking and people not knowing what caused it. What I'm saying is that long before any of that, the premise of religion--the reason man invented a god or gods and began to believe in the supernatural and spiritual--was the fact that they were trying to explain the world around them. I'm sure leading moralists pooled their efforts and decided to use religion to their advantage later on, but I don't see that being as how it started. Not at all.
There is no definite proof on the origin of religion or God, your guess is as good as mine.

Again, stop looking at it from a Judeo-Christian point of view, and consider what the first religions looked like before you call me daft.
I'm sure that out earliest discoveries of any form of primitive religion are not the earliest or even the first. Excuse my excessively indignant name calling.

My last post wasn't an argument nor was it an attack on you- despite your needless 'ignorant' and 'lazy' accusations/attacks on me. On the contrary I saw your studies as an attack on the people I was interested in speaking with and I wanted to make sure you weren't being simply malevolent with your charges of lesser intelligence, so if I were attacking you I would betray my own intentions of trying to facilitate dialogue. What I was doing was clarifying, just as I am now, so you may understand where I am coming from. I was under the impression the debate was over, that religion is not only explanatory in nature...all that remained was to address more silly accusations about who you think I am. This whole interchange with you was lame.

My last post wasn't an argument nor was it an attack on you- despite your needless 'ignorant' and 'lazy' accusations/attacks on me. On the contrary I saw your studies as an attack on the people I was interested in speaking with and I wanted to make sure you weren't being simply malevolent with your charges of lesser intelligence, so if I were attacking you I would betray my own intentions of trying to facilitate dialogue. What I was doing was clarifying, just as I am now, so you may understand where I am coming from. I was under the impression the debate was over, that religion is not only explanatory in nature...all that remained was to address more silly accusations about who you think I am. This whole interchange with you was lame.

And once again, your post has zero substance, and is full of personal attacks. Mild and, for the most part, poorly-conceived as they are, they're still insults.

Anyway, I don't know what would give you the idea that debate was over, nor that your particular position was somehow reinforced. If you want to agree to disagree on the matter, that's fine by me, but let's try to avoid the intellectual dishonesty by claiming victory where there is none. Nothing said by any party thusfar has shown your side of the argument to be the stronger one.

Anyway, if you decide to post more insults without even the slightest attempt to address the topic, I'll report your post.

JDawg, are you reading the same posts and thread the rest of us are? You're clearly seeing something that I'm missing.

JDawg, are you reading the same posts and thread the rest of us are? You're clearly seeing something that I'm missing.

I would ask you the same question. He's made two off-topic posts that were directed at me rather than my argument. And why am I having this discussion with you?

Sardaukar,

Hello, Jan
This can simply refuted; A supreme being, who has a given nature(Like you said), must act with in coherence of that nature.

a) i said nothing about a given nature.
b) you haven't enquired about the nature, so how can you
be sure of what you're talking about.

A supreme entity can not be defined, if anything no such thing exists.

How do you know a supreme being does not exist?
Bare in mind what answer you give will reveal exactly what you deny.

But it is his nature?

Can you explain what the nature is?

He is governed by it, if anything I believe the religion is supreme over God. Think which has had more influence?

So basically you deny God on the basis of "God does not exist", and the
reason for that conclusion is... ?

jan.

Back