The God Delusion - ongoing review

And the next question is: how do you define a christian?

You can't tell me a good and true christian would go be a bully would you? And wheres this statistic you have?

Sin is any wrongdoing pretty much.

So, it would be a sin to hate homosexuals or Muslims? Is it a sin that churches don't pay taxes?

^^^ clear evidence of lack of Christianity knowledge

One can easily disavow the Flying Spaghetti Monster, without first immersing oneself in books of Pastafarian theology.

Tell me, is the average christian vs the average person going to commit wrongdoings or less?

Prisons are full of Christians.

So, it would be a sin to hate homosexuals or Muslims? Is it a sin that churches don't pay taxes?

One can easily disavow the Flying Spaghetti Monster, without first immersing oneself in books of Pastafarian theology.

Prisons are full of Christians.
Stats please. And do those prisoners get a bible and stop whatever wrongdoing they do? Doesn't seem like they're true and good christians.

It is now apparently also a sin to be 'rich' according to the Catholic Church.

The other “new” mortal sins included taking or dealing drugs and causing poverty or the “excessive accumulation of wealth by a few”, Monsignor Girotti said.
Source

I guess that means the Church itself will be going to hell.

Also added are the following:

The man in charge of examining confessions and indulgences for the Vatican, Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, told the Vatican newspaper that priests should be aware of the “new” sins.

“New sins have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalisation,” Monsignor Girotti said.

“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbour’s wife – but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos.”

No longer the 7 deadly sin's it would seem. I guess no one can accuse them of not keeping up with the times when it comes to 'sin'.:rolleyes:

And the next question is: how do you define a christian?

You can't tell me a good and true christian would go be a bully would you? And wheres this statistic you have?

Of course they would, if they thought they were right. For instance, accosting women going to a reproductive clinic.

Should there even be debate? God exists, atheists have no proof to claim otherwise and the simple proof on my part is that we exist, therefore there was an origin and that origin must've come from somewhere, likely Creation, a Creator.

The origin of the present known universe took place far before life orginated, and even farther before humans came about. If the rise of humans was the result of natural, not supernatural processes, and if the origin of planets was the result of natural processes, and if the formation of galaxies was the result of natural processes, it is also reasonable to conclude the origin of the universe itself was not a supernatural occurrence.

A creator is necessarily a complex thing, since it assumes the creation was for a specific purpose, perhaps the rise of humanity. It is unreasonable to assume a complex thing was the origin, since complexity requires a process to gain that complexity. If there were no universe before a creator made it, there could be no process by which a complex creator could originate.

It makes more sense that the origin of the universe was simple, and nothing is more simple than the proposed singularity from which the universe exploded. The origin of everything cannot come from "somewhere", since it was the beginning of everything.

The origin of the present known universe took place far before life orginated, and even farther before humans came about. If the rise of humans was the result of natural, not supernatural processes, and if the origin of planets was the result of natural processes, and if the formation of galaxies was the result of natural processes, it is also reasonable to conclude the origin of the universe itself was not a supernatural occurrence.

A creator is necessarily a complex thing, since it assumes the creation was for a specific purpose, perhaps the rise of humanity. It is unreasonable to assume a complex thing was the origin, since complexity requires a process to gain that complexity. If there were no universe before a creator made it, there could be no process by which a complex creator could originate.

It makes more sense that the origin of the universe was simple, and nothing is more simple than the proposed singularity from which the universe exploded. The origin of everything cannot come from "somewhere", since it was the beginning of everything.

That sounds like your avater looks.

Hmm so basically because humans evolved from primordial ooze, God must necessarily be also subject to evolution. What is the lowest common denominator for the universe?

Not just humans, but the universe itself went through a process of complexification. If there could be a God, it makes more sense to put it towards the end of the universe, not the beginning.

That they are seemingly not direct observations, (while claiming to be), leaves a bit of a problem. Even second hand stories undergo a great deal of Chinese whispers - it is human nature. You can even see it in the gospels:

l1.jpg

First: could I have an ultimate source for this graph? I need to address some of the underlying assumptions about it, but unfortunately I don't know where it's from. I will proceed on my expectation that the numbers at the base may be used directly for the purposes of argumentation.

Your argument makes the assumption that there was any Chinese whispering at all, or that it was necessarily progressive. I will cast my doubt on the way in which the data are advantageously employed:

First, is recollection after the fact not permitted in so refined and ordered a setting as a court of law? It is, as I recall; so the omission of Mark and Luke in Paul is not proof of anything, frankly. New evidence occurs all the time. This, I might add, is the basis of science itself.

Further: Paul's document is a letter, rather than a history. If the point of his letter is the encouragement (castigation, really) of a particular Christian community, why is it that we expect to see mention of Christ's miraculous deeds therein? Why would that necessarily come up? Frankly, it implies nothing about whether or not such miracles occurred, but deals exclusively with the issue of how great God is, and why the Romans ought not to be so bastardly. And that's about it. Put more directly: are we to make the assumption that the Gospels "after" Paul existed in no form at all prior? What then, precisely, were these Christian communities believing and listening to at the time? I would think that surely there would exist collary evidence of their faith and their faith in the miraculous from correspondance of the period. If I have anything further to contribute directly on this score, I will, although my time is no longer quite so free. :D

But it is unfair to allude without reference to the graph itself. One thing I note, unquivocally, is this: Paul's time point is identified only as "0". I can't say what this means exactly, since I don't have access to the meaning in the plot. The texts that would fall in the "thereafter" don't indicate successive additions to the doctrine of Paul so much as a completely different vein of reporting. They are actually quite distinct, which strongly supports my point above about the distinctly different objects and subjects of their work. I think Paul might be taken off this graph to begin with.

Next, I have to question the order of the points themselves: if the entire process is a series of nearly-Mullerian "Chinese whispers", then why does Luke, which actually would appear to fall in the period 200-300 AD, well after the rightmost part of the graph, not mention points A, B, C, G, H or - I presume - I? A "Chinese whisper" (an offensive term, in fact; I have Chinese cousins) refers to the degradation of a message over time. But it is a bit extreme to consider that whole events should be purged or deleted from the record. Should not events A, B, C, G, H and I co-occur in Luke, although in degraded form? Instead of an earthquake or a rolling stone, should Luke not mention, perhaps, a rolling, shuddering fart that shook or cleared a room? Or how about a building falling over? A stone falling? Or anything aside from complete deletion? Why are the ideas only included and subtracted in toto, instead of being mangled and distorted? This would be quite an odd round of "telephone", if I were to whisper in your ear "The elephant has two dollars" and for you to pass on "The penguin skates by night."

It is quite apparent that Chinese whispers has played a major role here and yet it is considered absolute undeniable reality by, I would assume, the majority of christians.

On the contrary: there is no evidence for whispers of any kind or language whatsoever.

And yet, it needs to be added, these very same people would not offer the same credibility to any other claimed event, (of a similar nature), that suffered from the same.

Possibly, and possibly not. Neither I nor you can say what degree of credulity they might apply to othersuch instances.

If they are observers, sure. There's the problem. However, again it must be stipulated that there are thousands of "observers" of alien abduction that have recounted incredibly similar events. At what stage does one accept these claims? (Note that it would be even worse if these people were merely second hand observers [heard it from their father etc])

I don't know: at stage does one accept these claims? In actual point of fact, is it the business of logic to exclude something even as (to me) ludicrous as alien abduction simply because we don't like the position? There's any number of beliefs even in my profession held on little stronger than an abberrant correlation and a lot of faith.

Then you'd most likely think wrong. Maybe not the little faith christian, but among the more faithful the Noah saga is considered to be a factual, historical event. I believe Adstar is one of those people.

True, many do believe in a literal reading. I disbelieve in it. Perhaps that makes me exceptional.

We know this is a 'copy' of earlier works for a few reasons. Given the dating, we know that the Noah saga is not an original global flood telling. Unless there were several global floods, we know that the Noah story cannot be the source story - in the same manner that we know Anne Rice's 'Interview with the Vampire' is not a source work of vampire mythology. We know 'clearly' that her work was copied from earlier sources. Yes, she certainly adapated, modified, changed and added but it is quite clear to state that the source work is not hers. The same is true of the flood story - unless there was more than one global flood.

This might well impugn the issue of Noah - in which I don't believe per se - but why is it applied to the rest of the topic? If Goldschmidt's "Hopeful Monster" is wrong (which it may well be, or not), do we now reject the entire field of epigenetics?

My apologies, I tend to use "you" in a very loose manner, (i.e not you specifically).

No trouble; no insult taken. I may get back on my review of Dawkins now; the man is truly infuriating. Which he prefers over fair reason, seemingly.

Best,

Geoff

All right, we continue.

Having got over Dawkins' refutation via name-dropping, he moves on to attacking the special status that religion is given by some people. Now, while Dawkins himself - and his atrociously poor actress of a wife - are reprehensible themselves, it is quite all right I think to attack all ideas, including religion. A certain amount of respect is probably polite, but hardly necessary. Now, it is entirely possible to question without respect, but it essentially self-identifies one as an irredeemable ass, or perhaps a skinny waif in a stupid straw British holiday-goers hat on a science fiction show, who admittedly at least had the good graces to step out of her given profession thankfully out of the public eye. Similarly, I never assign overrated cullers and reprinters of other people's material, no matter what Charles Simonyi Chair they may occupy at Oxford, for instance, too much importance, even though their nearly sole claim to public acknowledgement is artless can-kicking rather than serious research.

Fair? Of course it is. Petard. Hoist.

There's some generalized bitching about protesting about religion in courts and so forth - I agree that violence in the name of religion is wrong, naturally, as any person with a connected cortex might also feel. This is like putting down "reading" on a resume - of course you like to read, you fool. All sensible people do, and it's a given.

And this: "I am not in favour of hurting or offending anyone for the sake of it".

Ahem: bollocks. His disclaimers are absurd; the book might have been much more fair-minded, but that's not the position I get, I'm afraid, from his invective.

Best,

Geoff

This leads into his next denial to lead the book: "I shall not attack any particular deity".

Of course. Naturally.

I look forward, therefore, with infinite zeal to his categorical and doctrinally-based denial of Isis, Thor, and Jupiter. Since he is attacking no particular religion, we can only expect that, or a generalized attack on all deific property from the rigourously physical or metaphysical sense. I confidently expect that he will have no need to bring up and specific religious text, or even books within that text, or even, say, monotheism itself.

...two minutes later, we've trashed the last supposition.

Well, I'm sure the others will last.

Geoff

Not just humans, but the universe itself went through a process of complexification. If there could be a God, it makes more sense to put it towards the end of the universe, not the beginning.

It did? Based on what?

Or not. Dawkins moves on to the Trinity.

Well, I am sure to hear his ringing condemnation of the Havamal any moment now. Deny Rig and his wanderings, O' Richard!

Leaving aside the whining about the Catholic Encyclopedia, I remind Richard that we're debating the issue of a being operating on a scale of logic and reality quite possibly very different from our own. But he must be logical and lucid to our flavour! Ah! No, you say? Obscurantist!

Absurd. He seems completely alien to the analogy of the elephant, or the potential for dual nature. Silly.

Geoff

And no, Mary is not a "goddess in all but name". Saints are not "demigods". Ugh.

geoff said:
And no, Mary is not a "goddess in all but name". Saints are not "demigods". Ugh.
That is - to put it mildly - debatable. People pray to them, Geoff - they are immortally present and divine, capable of intercession and action even now.

Three other points: most of your complaints about Dawkins - such as his employment of features and descriptions common to the monotheism of his audience - are explicitly dealt with by Dawkins himself,in the book. His limited and infrequent disrespect (much exaggerated by you) is not (to borrow your metaphor) can-kicking as a matter of style or approach in the course of other venture, but can-kicking in deliberate illustration of what it looks like to kick a particular can amid a riot of can-kickers who have been studiously avoiding that one.

The common overreaction to Dawkins's generally mild and civil approach rather illustrates his point, than opposes it.

And third, you have apparently misread the graph. Paul is not labeled "0" on the time line, but on the miraculous event scale. And the points are in order of the probable establishment of the present content of the writings graphed.

Neither is the illustration one of "Chinese Whispers" - or "telephone", as we used to call it, offending technology everywhere - that's just an analogy. The analogy is not perfect, and breaks down if you use it to anticipate gradual degradation of the information, rather than successive inclusion of legend into different accounts. So don't do that.

It did? Based on what?

Based only on cooling.

Saints are too demi-gods in everything but name. They represent certain aspects of life, like the patron saint of women or craftsmen. It's just like polytheism, and they are in denial about it. They can perform miracles, they are inhumanly perfect...

That is - to put it mildly - debatable. People pray to them, Geoff - they are immortally present and divine, capable of intercession and action even now.

Present and immortal? Well, anyone who's dead and ascended is conceptually immortal. Present isn't such an extremity; no worse than imagining angels of any kind, or at least not more than an issue of degree rather than kind.

Three other points: most of your complaints about Dawkins - such as his employment of features and descriptions common to the monotheism of his audience - are explicitly dealt with by Dawkins himself,in the book. His limited and infrequent disrespect (much exaggerated by you) is not (to borrow your metaphor) can-kicking as a matter of style or approach in the course of other venture, but can-kicking in deliberate illustration of what it looks like to kick a particular can amid a riot of can-kickers who have been studiously avoiding that one.

You can say that they're dealt with in the books but I don't think my version is abridged, or at least not terribly. His disrespect in the audio version - which, I point out, benefits over the written word in that I can hear his tone - is not at all infrequent, and not at all exaggerated by me. Tell me directly: does he spend so much as a single chapter in the written version damning the pecunities of Wotan? Ra? Ares? Anything in the Kalevala? No?

The common overreaction to Dawkins's generally mild and civil approach rather illustrates his point, than opposes it.

Ahem - hardly. His approach is not fair-minded. Even I, the apparently abberant and sub-intelligent theist (according to Dawkins' own definitions), could have treated both theism and atheism with a much, much, much fairer hand.

And third, you have apparently misread the graph. Paul is not labeled "0" on the time line, but on the miraculous event scale. And the points are in order of the probable establishment of the present content of the writings graphed.

About Paul - thankyou. This was precisely my point. His complete omission of any mention of the miracles of the Gospels but - and mind this - his inclusion of the mention of "miracles" illustrates again my point that his tract reflects both a different objective and audience. His divergence from them is not so much as the absicca versus points in the X-Y field (as a difference of degree), but rather of kind altogether - in other words, not to the same ends or audience. The Gospels tell a story, believable or not. Paul's letter to the inimical Romans is a warning and a denunciation, as Bells also pointed out.

In short: it really isn't comparable to the later events, whether you want to describe them as actual events or not, and ought to be removed from the discussion of the "telephone game" analogy.

Neither is the illustration one of "Chinese Whispers" - or "telephone", as we used to call it, offending technology everywhere - that's just an analogy. The analogy is not perfect, and breaks down if you use it to anticipate gradual degradation of the information, rather than successive inclusion of legend into different accounts. So don't do that.

But you should; in fact, you absolutely must.

First, we're describing the purportedly fragmentary persistence of apparently written memes here. It's a bit harder to obtain the scrambled inferential results of "telephone" when the words are written down in front of you. I think the resorts of your argument are limited to faithful (pardon the term) representation or deliberate deception. Both are hard to prove, I would think. The whole point of the "telephone game" is the lower-than-stepwise (it's on a quantitative scale, really) degradation of the message. "Your mother is about to crushed by a piano" doesn't suddenly become "My ice cream has melted on my lap" if there's a written document sitting on the desk of your monastery cell. Call me a heartless reductionist, but if we're going to nitpick anything, then by all means we must nitpick the nitpickery.

As a more general question, has there been such an example of the "telephone" analogy creeping into transmitted history to the extent of wholesale deletion or addition of units, especially on the written medium? I would think not. The resort, again, becomes that of deception or intact transmission. As we're dealing with written documents from events in the "O" series with Paul and proceeding to "A-K" in the Gospels, I would think that later versions would be able to draw exactly on the previous, particularly if the entire lot is being cherry-picked later on at Nicaea. You might argue that the Gospels suffered from "telephone syndrome", and well they might. But oral tradition exists in other cultures all across the world, and we don't have Oxford professors running about trying to make them feel bad about themselves.

In short: the whispering about the whispering is garbled, not the whispering itself. And what about the incorrect positioning of Luke then?

However, I can see that the world hungers for more commentary. You shall have it.

Best,

Geoff

Back