The Flaws of Buddhism

VitalOne said:
I guess The Buddha says it best:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense" - The Buddha
Hey VitalOne, woulda been god if you could have quoted thew whole of that prticular passage. for me it is theonly one that makes sense and shoul be the departure for any true explorer, AWAY from established dogma.

duendy said:
take Tibetan Buddhism. their belief that women have to be born men to become 'buddhas'? you dont think THAT dogma guilts women for being female?

maybe it means you have to become androgyne in your mind/spirit.

if you don't think something is true, why believe in it? All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.. Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system. there are no different religions if you understand the roots of life. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.

truth is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that.

etc

Last edited:
duendy said:
hmmmm, so what is this 'Buddhism' you refer to then? i am sure Tibetan Buddhists would see their Buddhism--the males anyhow--central. so what do you mean? I their a 'central Buddhism' which is THE truth then?....which is it?....why do you assume 'local trditions' are to blame? and why is Buddhism not part of A tradition??
There is a core set of teachings that describe Buddhism. On top of this are local traditions that create the different forms, such as Tibetan and all the rest. Buddhism itself isn't the truth, I don't think it ever claimed to be. The truth cannot be captured with any religious dogma. Buddhism is not a lie, it's just a technique that enables people to realize a kind of truth for themselves.

There is plenty of room in Buddhism for adaptation to emerging cultural norms. I'm sure in America, there is nothing sexist about Buddhist teachings. I happen to know of several female Buddhist teachers.

Back