The Flaws of Buddhism

I don't think planning for the future is the same as the kind of disfunctional desire-as-a-way-of-life that Buddhism is concerned with.

Yes, emotional pain can be caused by many factors, but if you know the cause, it's not a mystery, it's not a metaphysical problem. The real mystery is why people with no obvious source such as abuse, starvation, ect., still suffer with ordinary existence.

In fact, for someone like the Buddha, even the more obvious forms of suffering become less problematic. As an example, look at the Buddhist priest and nun that set themselves on fire in Vietnam to protest governmental anti-Buddhist policies. They didn't have to deal with an existential crisis like an ordinary suicide victim, it was a self-less decision, followed by an extreme sensation.

Zephyr said:
And in line with my agreement, have you studied Christianity and Judaism? ;)

As a matter of fact, I grew up in a Catholic private school. So I was heavily indoctrinated from at least age five. I also have been working at the same Jewish nursing home for nearly ten years, and attend both services and holiday meals as well chats by various rabbis willingly and unwillingly for those ten years. I have read both the Bible, and the Torah and am very familiar with both Christian and Jewish tradition. I am not an expert by any means, but blind dogma is blind dogma... you can't really consider it anything else unless you are blind.

Quite. However I have to point out that Catholocism is but one branch of Christianity and that there's a book called the Talmud.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I never made a statement about Christianity or Judaism except that it was based on blind dogma. I did not quote teachings and attempt to school anyone else on their personal beliefs. That is what I was objecting to.

spidergoat said:
Nothing is wrong with desire, to even focus on the word desire is a misconception. The central thing is the division between an idealized world of culture and symbols, and the reality of where and what you are now.

me))))))))))in a way we agree here, but from else i've read we disagree. for example. i am VERY aware of a vast division between 'civilization/culture' and Nature. I.,e culture tends to 'acculturate one away from natrual being. so 'culture and symbols/the image would be the semantic overlay which obscures deeper sense of Nature. rthis is what I am exploring

People are constantly thinking of the future rather than directly experiencing the perfection that is the present moment.

me)))))))tyhis is where we greatly differ. WH 'perfect'. a i said forist post in this tread-which noone responded to--do you now see th premise in Buddhist teaching (from the passagtes presnted to this thread of Busddhist teaching) which premises a 'perfection' which canbe attained. as rthen i again say. tis is dualistic premise of 'perfect' vs 'imperfection'!

When you have this image of what things could be, what food you could eat, what sex you could be having, you are a divided creature, and this devide is experienced as suffering.

me))))))))how so. i i am hungryi of coyrse want to eat. if horny i desire o have sex. wat is wrong wit this CEPT some dogma SAYSit's wrong...?? as soon as one is gilted ABOUT these natrual intincts is where trouble begins. ANDhow can one say to the POOR prson one mustn't desire to eat? who is claiming this philosophy??

We get in the habit of living in a dream world of desire, and so we are never really here. People are seldom aware that they can experience all the pleasure the world has to offer without any desire whatsoever.

me))))))have you 'escaped desire'?

In fact, if you are constantly desiring, you will never really experience the object of your desire once you get it.
i repeat then spidergoat. have you achieved what you state?

I have acheived nothing. Why would you want to know? So you can judge the value of my statements as a potential follower? So you can figure out if I'm a fake and a hypocrite? My own state is of no value to you. Your state is the only one you have to work with. When Buddhists talk about desire, they don't mean that it's wrong, only that it is at the center of a distinctly human disease, take this information or leave it. When you indulge in all your desires and are still left wanting, then what?

spidergoat said:
I have acheived nothing.

me))meaning you still desire?

Why would you want to know?

me)because if someone is peaching somethng. ad/or repeating a dogma,then ofcourse i wanna know if its wrked for them.

So you can judge the value of my statements as a potential follower? So you can figure out if I'm a fake and a hypocrite?

me)of course. otherwise its the blind leadin the blind init??

My own state is of no value to you. Your state is the only one you have to work with.

me))oh puleeeze. dont give me that hogwosh. we are examining 'flaws in Buddhism'. i dont want to beCOME a Buddhist. get that very clear.
You obviously re defending it. so tisis why i am asking ifits worked for you. in this case NOT-desiring?

When Buddhists talk about desire, they don't mean that it's wrong, only that it is at the center of a distinctly human disease, take this information or leave it.

me)))errrrm well it seems all muddled to me. what is being said here? that it now is alright to desire? so we are back to being natrual agin? tough before your teaching/interpretation was to end attachment to desire?

When you indulge in all your desires and are still left wanting, then what?

more desires? indulge in all desures means what exactly? fukin and eatin and litnin to music and getting a massage and etc? what? what you man 'left wanting'?
say i have a good good sex session. there is a beginning a climax and then an end isn't there? now at that moment of end iam satiated aren't i. then maybe later i get horny agin and want sex. this is natrual isn't it? why guilt people about this?
if hungry i wannaeat. so i look for food. what is wrong with this? sorry. non comprendi

Kotoko said:
There is no ad hominem in my post. What you meant to say is that you have no response, so you will not respond. Lets call a spade a spade.

Let's begin again.

I was rather busy yesterday, and still won't be addressing your criticisms, projections, or assumptions of me; they don't matter.

Let's use that spade to bury the hatchet.

(1) Awareness of moral relativism is the basis that one can say the following: "There is no ultimate truth, there is only truth that we believe." My point that this is overlooked in the first Truth (and in all 4NT) seems to be well received, if only understood differently.

(2) Two possibilities, two paradoxes presented: it is not established from (1) what causes suffering, so it is asserted that this cause is attachment. If life is suffering and suffering is (caused by) attchment; life is really attachment- just eliminate suffering, and nurture your desires. Otherwise, it is either incoherent that suffering is desire, or more aptly, that one causes the other-- is a non sequitur.

(3) This is incoherent because the first paradox of (2) is unresolved, and as I pointed out before, there are other ends to suffering (lncluding death), and still provides no logical reason to discard one's desires.

(4) This is just more of the same ideology; there are stark parallels to the Hegelian dialectic, only with an extra step between antithesis and synthesis.

Be well, hun. Thanks for your posts.

Mythbuster said:
One way of looking at buddhism is thus:
Problem: Suffering.
Reason: Wanting it all to go your way (desire/thirst)
Solution1: Ditch desire.
Problem2: Now you desire to ditch desire, and when that dosen't happen...more suffering.
Solution2: Stop trying to desire, but also stop trying to not desire.
Problem3: Same as problem 2.
Solution3: Enlightenment (which transcends the whole mess by transcending duality).

Oversimplified I admit but hey...

Yeah, I was contemplating that from Reggie's site. I see we have alot in common here at SciFor. =)

What do you think of the analogy to the Hegelian Dialectic?

Thesis --> Antithesis --> Synthesis

qwerty mob said:
Yeah, I was contemplating that from Reggie's site. I see we have alot in common here at SciFor. =)

What do you think of the analogy to the Hegelian Dialectic?

Thesis --> Antithesis --> Synthesis

The positive aspect of buddhism is it tries to give you a formula whereby desires do not control you, rather you control your desires. This encourages you to be centered, the thirdeye. By being centered you can be detached(to some degree) and increase awareness of self and your environment. This can free you from illusions that possibly hinder or are hurtful by enabling clearer sight/insight. The quest and embracing of truth, the truth shall set you free etc. The more you become aware, the more you realize you are not your desires, projections, your job, your lies or other's lies etc. You are a divine being connected to the divine source. You are perfect at your core, release your lies and other's lies thereby realizing the true foundation for your existence. All else can serve as distortions if not in their proper place.

Last edited:
In my view, iam, it's rather illogical to draw one's ethics from (or by) curtailing self fulfillment because these attachments already have actual, logical and natural limits; exploring them usually harms no one, and the imaginary possibilities expand our cognitive repertoire and so define our identities and characters.

I agree and understand. But some illusions/lies that are absorbed are detrimental. It is important to have some degree of detachment to see through these and an awareness of our inner processes

iam said:
But some illusions/lies that are absorbed are detrimental. It is important to have some degree of detachment to see through these and an awareness of our inner processes

M*W: I agree with you. All illusions/lies created by man-made religions (and All of them are man-made religions) are detrimental to the believers. Many of those believers have no degree of detachment, and therefore, they cannot see the truth. I believe it's that they don't want to see the truth, so they refuse to 'detach', in fact, they go to extremes to avoid any kind of 'detachment', and all that does is makes their churches get richer.

Those folks who fear even a slight degree of detachment are easily brainwashed, so there's no reasoning with them. I don't understand why these will-less (witless) people come to forums like this. Is it because they are searching for that elusive detachment to save themselves from the illusions and lies they believe, or is it because they wish to draw the rest of us into their lies and illusions? I believe it's the latter.

Fear is perhaps the greatest illusion of all, no?

*puts on horns and grabs pitchfork*

Just want to point out that some of these illusions/lies transcend religions, M*W. Many come form ordinary experience, and religions perhaps exploit them; death for example. Your take?

*takes off horns*

Oh... okay...

*puts down pitchfork*

;)

duendy said:
more desires? indulge in all desures means what exactly? fukin and eatin and litnin to music and getting a massage and etc? what? what you man 'left wanting'?
say i have a good good sex session. there is a beginning a climax and then an end isn't there? now at that moment of end iam satiated aren't i. then maybe later i get horny agin and want sex. this is natrual isn't it? why guilt people about this?
if hungry i wannaeat. so i look for food. what is wrong with this? sorry. non comprendi
There's no guilt involved. Buddhism is only for people interested in what it has to offer. There is nothing inherently wrong with being hungry and eating or having sex. Buddhism is actually similar to that. People get hungry for insight into the nature of consciousness and it paves the way for a shift into what may be a more primeval state or a more advanced one, I don't know. This did happen to me, but I don't understand how.

take Tibetan Buddhism. their belief that women have to be born men to become 'buddhas'? you dont think THAT dogma guilts women for being female?

This belief is not central to Buddhism, and is probably more the result of local traditions.

I guess The Buddha says it best:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense" - The Buddha

spidergoat said:
This belief is not central to Buddhism, and is probably more the result of local traditions.
hmmmm, so what is this 'Buddhism' you refer to then? i am sure Tibetan Buddhists would see their Buddhism--the males anyhow--central. so what do you mean? I their a 'central Buddhism' which is THE truth then?....which is it?....why do you assume 'local trditions' are to blame? and why is Buddhism not part of A tradition??

Back