The Dumbing of Civilization

Godless said:
Well if you get off your fat ass and read some books, you may understand what makes us work so hard to "eat" in a skyscraper, you may understand what is that drives us, that the dog does not posses, you may comprehend what difference there is from a mere brute, from a man of reason. And at this point, your silly stupid guestions come from a mere brute.

My point is that if the skyscraper is created just to have a place to eat and have sex why is it not a brutish endeavour?

At the best it just makes us polished animals, but animals nonetheless, if the only difference is that we eat at a table and a dog eats off the floor.

My point is that if the skyscraper is created just to have a place to eat and have sex why is it not a brutish endeavour?

To my knowledge I don't see any animals building complex skycrapers, do you? And it's not a brutish endeavour, it's a accompolishment of epistemology that preceded it, hence why you don't find skycrapers, with elevators, water, and sewer servises in ancient time, it's today the pinicle of human housing.

I've run out of time see ya latters.

Godless said:
To my knowledge I don't see any animals building complex skycrapers, do you? And it's not a brutish endeavour, it's a accompolishment of epistemology that preceded it, hence why you don't find skycrapers, with elevators, water, and sewer servises in ancient time, it's today the pinicle of human housing.

I've run out of time see ya latters.

The point is that it doesn't serve any grander purpose than animal propensities - so in what way is it superior - its not even superior epistemologically because ants don't have to go to university to learn how to build their homes

I agree with Light, we are all animals, no question. Not sure what that has to do with the dumbing of civilization however. Do we behave like animals, as in feeding, fucking, etc.? Absolutely. I would not equate everything we do to our other animal friends. I'm talking brainpower, using the ol' noggin, knowledge and wisdom, logic and reasoning.

We also have a propensity to learn, adapt, explore and explain. If someone could offer proof that every other animal on Earth worships a deity and lives life according to a god's rules then I would humbly admit my ignorance.

Would an ignorant person know the difference between ignorance and " it makes sense". We may appear to be animals but as we grow we are distancing ourselves. I had enough of this thread. Good bye.

Ulam said:
Would an ignorant person know the difference between ignorance and " it makes sense". We may appear to be animals but as we grow we are distancing ourselves. I had enough of this thread. Good bye.

So long.....

The inability to accept man's place as a member of the animal kingdom is actually at the root of the dumbing process. It just snowballs from there.

lightgigantic said:
The point is that it doesn't serve any grander purpose than animal propensities - so in what way is it superior - its not even superior epistemologically because ants don't have to go to university to learn how to build their homes

ok then, well to theists, they build their churches for the grander purpose of worshipping god. Do you believe that religion is what sets us apart from animals, because it does not imply the "brutish" goals of eating or reproducing?

although really, church can be seen as made to fulfill our brutich tendencies. maybe people's real motivation in going to church is to get the little cracker at the end, the "crouton o christ", the "jeesit," "Christ Chex".**Im sorry I couldnt reissits that is from Dane Cook, a hilarious comedian. And also the priests maybe just go to church to molest young boys. who knows, is church any better than the skyscraper?

PsychoticEpisode said:
I agree with Light, we are all animals, no question. Not sure what that has to do with the dumbing of civilization however. Do we behave like animals, as in feeding, fucking, etc.? Absolutely. I would not equate everything we do to our other animal friends. I'm talking brainpower, using the ol' noggin, knowledge and wisdom, logic and reasoning.

We also have a propensity to learn, adapt, explore and explain. If someone could offer proof that every other animal on Earth worships a deity and lives life according to a god's rules then I would humbly admit my ignorance.

Actually animals do live life according to god's rules -mainly because they don't have the opportunity to act contrary to the laws of nature - human beings however have an increased intelligence which gives more opportunities to error (via free will) - the result of error however, is, and this is my point, that human civilisation becomes less efficient than animal society

lightgigantic said:
Actually animals do live life according to god's rules -mainly because they don't have the opportunity to act contrary to the laws of nature - human beings however have an increased intelligence which gives more opportunities to error (via free will) - the result of error however, is, and this is my point, that human civilisation becomes less efficient than animal society

You can't have it both ways. Either we are animals like any other or we are not. We are not special. We are following nature's rules for first intelligence if anything, assuming we are the first on Earth. Who's to say that in another part of the galaxy an intelligence hasn't already gone thru these opportunities to error. Its too early to tell. Human nature is nature, we are behaving as we should. I say we're getting dumber and you say otherwise....one of us is wrong, its a matter of interpretation. That's just the way it is as we suffer thru the peaks and valleys of intelligence evolving.

Its time to stop hiding within religion and come out to get things righted. I'm for pushing the get rid of religion button not the big red one in the oval office.

Last edited:
PsychoticEpisode said:
You can't have it both ways. Either we are animals like any other or we are not. We are not special. We are following nature's rules for first intelligence if anything, assuming we are the first on Earth. Who's to say that in another part of the galaxy an intelligence hasn't already gone thru these opportunities to error. Its too early to tell. Human nature is nature, we are behaving as we should. I say we're getting dumber and you say otherwise....one of us is wrong, its a matter of interpretation. That's just the way it is as we suffer thru the peaks and valleys of intelligence evolving.

Its time to stop hiding within religion and come out to get things righted. I'm for pushing the get rid of religion button not the big red one in the oval office.

We animals that have the opportunity to realise the nature of the consciousness that created the entire manifested world fo our gross senses - in the absence of human civilisation applying themselves to this pursuit (whether being absent in the name of theism or atheism) humans become worse than animals - in otherwords even in terms of eating, sleeping mating and defending animals (that don't have this opportunity) operate out a more efficient paradigm of meeting their bodily requirements. (which kind of indicates where such humans can expect to go in their next life)

Back