The Book of Mormon

Once you get into it, the BOM turns out to be a pretty decent read. If you look at it from the perspective of fantasy-genre, it does have some interesting perspectives from several different and lasting characters. As much as my beliefs have changed over the years, I still do enjoy a good yarn and the BOM has these in abundance.

If you get can get past the redundant language (and yes, the chiasmus in there can be a good treat) and get to some of the juicier parts (Abinadi, Korihor, Brother of Jared, Moroni's last days), man it makes for some good late-night reading.

If you try to take the book's lessons and apply them in a strictly black&white fashion or have a desire to join the church, you will be ultimately disappointed. The kinds of experiences you'll read about in the book have no relative correlation with life in the church. Still, for those like Brutus1964 and Klavon, they obviously mean well; their intention is not to lead you astray (quite the opposite, in their minds!), but you would find church life to be as stagnant as you can imagine.

I've read basically everything Mormon-related. I've read the BOM about 10 times (though I don't read it anymore), the KJV Bible at least twice and D&C countless times. And of course, most of the other publications by their apostles through the years. A lot of it is good stuff and worth checking out, but not checking in.

Like you, I was a convert as well (at the age of 12). The fellowshipping that my ward did at the time was purely phenomenal, basically unsurpassed by any I've witnessed since that time (not to me, but to others I've known).

The disappointment is usually dependent on how much you want to get out of or understand about the church. If you're okay with topical subjects (faith, baptism, repentance, etc.) then you shouldn't expect any problems down the road. If you're a naturally inquisitive person (and being a convert kind of classifies you in this category, for better or worse), and want to delve deeper into the inner workings, you *will* come across things that you will either have to a) put on the back burner and think God will answer those someday, or b) find the answers for those things yourself. As always, the choice is up to you.

You're right, the spiritual aspect of the church or the BoM are decidedly different things than the dogmatic principles and laws governing its members. Listening or participating in a hymn during sacrament meeting is a fantastic way to "commune" with the spirit. Prayer, service, faith, sinning (repentance) are all tenets of the spiritual aspects of church. Trying to relate yourself to the writings of both the BoM and Bible is another great way to internalize the messages and try to make them work in your life.

While it's debateable what kind of education Joseph Smith had at the time he wrote the BoM, he and his entire family were exceptionally well-read, especially since their farm was in close proximity to a library of sorts. Does this mean he made the whole thing up? Of course not. Even for what he knew, it's got its imaginative parts and many would be hard-pressed to duplicate it (even Smith himself couldn't duplicate it when "tested" by Martin Harris' wife).

No, I think your point was that it feels right to you. And if it does and it's not hurting anyone else, why not? Have fun with it. Hopefully it takes you to places you didn't expect.

It is rather amazing how much is NOT known about Mormonism. It is actually very fascinating religion and its history is a huge part of what made the mid-19th century American West.

Unfortunatelly, if you want to learn the history of Mormons, you should not ask Mormons themselves, because they only know the "official" version of it. The best book on Mormon history was for decades No man know my history by Brodie. Of course Mormons will attack the book, for the obvious reasons.

Little known facts of Mormon history:

-- This is one of the most flexibile religions Whenever there was a political problem with the state, God conveniently interrupted and solved the problem:
a/ The location of Zion, they moved it 4 times, going farer to the West.
b/ Discontinuation of the practice of poligamy in the 1890s
c/ Priesthood to blacks in the 1970s.

--The only reason why Utah still has firing squad for capital punishement is the blood atonement, an early Mormon practice.

--After Joseph Smith's death there was no clear law who should inherite the prophethood, thus there were at least 5 different fractions fighting for power. Also see the different sects coming from the original LDS.

--Early Mormons almost caused a civil war at least twice.

--One of the guys who claimed to be the next prophet after Smith's death later crowned himself to be a king and was kniefed to death by one of his followers.

--The practice of poligamy was well alive for decades after the church officially denounced it. Today there are 30-50K orthodox Mormons mostly in the Western states who still practices it. (watch HBO's Big love, it is very good)

--Mormonism borrowed a lot from freemasonry. I don't go into the secret temple rituals, but it is fascinating...

My memories are a bit rasty on the history, but again, you guys should read about it, it is one very unique part of the American history and you don't get this kind of shit anywhere else...

Mormonism has one disadvantage compared to older religions, it is rather new. Thus we have quite a few diaries, newspaper records etc. in existence about the early practices. Not like Christianity, where 1600 years of statereligion successfully supressed all evidences to the contrary...

If you guys like true, modern day crimes, read Mormon murders, or the other book on the same subject, Salamander, they both give you a good look into the politics of the Church leadership...

Oh yes, I am not going to debate Mormon history or religion. Go educate yourself...

Back