The Book of Mormon

Brutus,

The style of writing is called Chiasimus and is present in many ancient Hebrew and Greek documents. It is a poetic style where you end a sentence by repeating the beginning only in opposite order. The Old Testament contains many examples of it. Such as Genesis 9:6: "Whoever sheds The blood of Man, By Man shall His blood be shed."

A good article about Chiasmus in the book of Mormon read Jeff Lindsay's article about it.
That's pretty neat. And I can see chiasmus in the passages that are given at that site. However, the parts of the BoM I have in mind don't read like chiasmi. Chiasmus, it appears, isn't redundant because it doesn't state the exact same idea more than once. For example, Gen. 9:6 shows reciprocation and thus states two separate ideas; the latter half of 1 Ne. 9:2 just says they're the plates of Nephi more than once, and not even in reverse order. It just looks like needless repetition to me.

I'm sorry that I'm being too nit-picky since it's only two verses that I've found so far, but I was just curious about it.

Either way it is evidence of the Book of Mormon having been a translation of an ancient document rather just made up out of whole cloth.
Not necessarily. If chiasmus can be originally produced by Nephi, it could be originally produced by Mr. Smith.

Brutus1964 said:
Spidergoat

Faith may not make you physically see the plates but it would lead you to a knowledge of their truthfullness. Faith is like a seed. It must be planted and taken care of. It takes time to build faith into absolute knowledge. Sometimes it can take a lifetime. Faith as small as a mustard seed will go along way. Jesus said it is enough to command a mountain to move.

But *you* are so much better off than the rest of us, right?!
Because you *already* know what is true, while we don't, right?

I meant if I had faith, would I be allowed to see them? Are the elders allowed to see them? Relics are often treasured in religion and shown off, why aren't these?

Come on, Brutus, there are no plates and you know it.

The plates were taken back by the angel Moroni after Joseph Smith finished translating them. Three witnesses were able to touch the plates and 10 witnesses were able to view them. Their testimonies are printed in every copy of the BOM. None denied what they had seen even after some had left the church.

They plates were not meant to be "shown off". They were meant to be translated into what is now the Book of Mormon.

Ich habe heute ein deutsches Buch Mormon in der Post bekommen. I got a German Book of Mormon in the mail today. I ordered it from Amazon.com. It was so cheap too; in fact, the shipping and handling was over three times the price of the book itself. :bugeye:

It seems to be pretty much like the English BoM. It seems to be a direct translation, which is helpful for me as a learner of German. Consequently, the apparent repetitiveness has carried over into the German translation; for example, "Und es begab sich" for every "And it came to pass".

Trilairian, I've seen mention of that evidence that the BoM is a fake. It's fascinating. You'd think that evidence would make people wake up, but I guess most are too faithful to their religion to do that.

we dont get morons here in england, (haha i just noticed the typo but im going to keep it),

i have seen the episode of south park where they diss mormons, and if that south park episode is correct then thats funny shit,

so whats the deal is the southpark episode right witht he details, if so are they any mormons here?

peace.

EmptyForceOfChi said:
i have seen the episode of south park where they diss mormons, and if that south park episode is correct then thats funny shit,

so whats the deal is the southpark episode right witht he details, if so are they any mormons here?
From what I've been told by a couple friends (one of whom grew up Mormon), and from what I know so far, the creators of South Park weren't far off.

[QUTOE=Athelwulf]From what I've been told by a couple friends (one of whom grew up Mormon), and from what I know so far, the creators of South Park weren't far off.[/QUOTE]
Well, if your friend grew up Mormon, that implies they aren't anymore. This means they switched religions, or they became atheist. So that means they must have some sort of animosity toward mormonisn. Saying that South Park was pretty accurate is their way of affirming their views. You should take your information from an unbiased source.

In my experience, Mormons are very admirable people. Hard workers, patriotic, polite, helpful. It almost makes me want to convert. But that whole story with the plates just seems fishy.

By the way Sciforum's Mormons, how accurate was that South Park episode? It was in keeping with what little I knew about Mormons. By the way, Mormons have also been mentioned in South Park in other episodes as the only ones allowed into heaven.

I'm not a Mormon, but I've read up on it, and the South Park episode was completely accurate. It was actually mocking in how truthful it was.

Roman said:
I'm not a Mormon, but I've read up on it, and the South Park episode was completely accurate. It was actually mocking in how truthful it was.

I have had no exposure to this religion prior to the south park episode, and I was not surprised how ridiculous the origins appear (hence the disclaimer on the show "This is what Mormons actually believe". On a slightly related note, have a look at the south park scientology episode, the beliefs therein are even more fanciful.

Personally, I think religions are political tools of crowd control. Mormonism was probably invented as a bolster to traditional biblical "revelations". That is - having a different origin written in that BoM with similar results as christianity strengthens the christian belief system as a whole.

Back