The ALF... Villians or Heroes

But animals are functioning members of society, we know this as fact. Our human societies breed them, kill them, hunt them, look after them, observe them, etc. If we depend on animals so much then are we not duty bound to act in their interests as well as our own?

I'm sure you can find this in some 18th centruy literature:

"But slaves are functioning members of society, we know this as fact. Our human societies breed them, kill them, hunt them, look after them, observe them, etc."

In what sense does this make an animal a functioning member of society?

I wonder how many people who are against the eating of meat because of an animal's right to live have no problem squishing spiders, cockroaches, etc. I have a co-worker like that. She actually gt upset that I wouldn't squish a spider in the office bathroom. (I just scooped it up on a paper towel and took it outside. No need to kill it. It wasn't poisonous to humans and had been living peacefully in a corner.) Apparently, to some people only cute fuzzy animals have a right to live.

I know what you mean.

Why Animals don't Deserve Rights
or
Why I Can Hunt, Wear Leather, and Eat Steaks and Sleep at Night.

The philosophy of the "animal liberation movement" is based largely on the book by Peter Singer, aptly named "Animal Liberation". Besides being the animal liberator's manifesto, the book presents the Principle of Equal Consideration, which essentially states that every sentient being is entitled to some basic rights, specifically the right not to be exploited for use by other sentient beings. Sentient, used herein, is generally taken to mean able to feel pain. Never mind that this argument and definitions seem to be constructed ex post facto. Further, if "sentient" is taken to mean that it can feel pleasure instead of pain, the argument that animals deserve rights generally crumbles.

This idea is ostensibly based in utilitarian principles. Utilitarianism is the idea that one should take the interests of all into account when making decisions, and make decisions in such a way that maximizes the total happiness. In terms of animal rights, supposedly, "happiness" means "non-suffering". The first issue that one should realize is that maximizing happiness isn't something that can be done in a quantitative manner, and there exists no calculus for determining when happiness is maximized. For example, does my love of steak outweigh a cow's right to live? If the cow lived a pain free existence, and died a pain free death, then surely one cannot object to the fact that the amount of net happiness is increased if I kill and eat the cow. In this sense, all the utilitarian could say is "At least everybody is happy". One also could imagine extending this argument and justifying things like torture. If I know that a terrorist has information that would save many lives from a very painful death, then presumably the utilitarian will have no problems with me torturing the terrorist. Finally, suppose that there was some medical research that had to be carried out on humans in such a manner that it caused them intense pain and ultimately death. Is it ethical to carry out this research on these humans, in the hope that whatever findings are made will save many future generations from suffering? Agian, the utilitarian answer is yes.

There are, I'm sure, good answers to these issues. I am sure that James will insert a reply here that asserts something along the lines of me missing the point. For example, it may be that the Principle of Equal Consideration is more stringent than the utilitarianism on which it is based. Something like "We must strive to increase the total happiness and guarantee some basic rights". One then has a blank check, of sorts, and can pen in a set of inalienable rights, such as a "right to life for all sentient beings". Then, James may say, "We must increase the happiness so long as that increase doesn't infringe on another's 'right to be' ". This would certainly refute my first example, of a happy cow being killed painlessly to make me happier with a nice ribeye. The challenge, of course, is with the second and third examples. The suffering (or "anti-happiness") caused by not infringing on the terrorist's "right to be" could far outweigh the suffering caused by the impending doom of many innocent, happy people. So adding such a caveat seems, to me at least, not to be consistent with the spirit of the philosophy. One must continue adding footnotes, and each footnote acts against the aim of the original theory---that is, each footnote has the potential to decrease the total happiness in certain situations.

The main argument that I will advance for not granting animals rights is that they are not functioning members of society. Humans are extended a certain set of rights because of their membership in the human race. We are rational beings, largely capable of adhering to a moral code. There is a contract, of sorts, between each member of society and the rest of society. If each party holds up their respective ends of the bargain, then society functions and all is good. When one member of society cannot abide by the contract, they are isolated. Animals, a priori cannot adhere by any moral codes and thus cannot be members of society. Because they are not members of society, they do not necessarily deserve the same basic rights as humans do.

The obvious contention that one will raise is as follows. What about babies and severely retarded people? There are two answers to this. The first one is that the normal human can contribute to society, and there are no grounds for separating humans out simply based on their physical or mental conditions. The average human can certainly contribute to society in a way that the average animal, no matter his specie, never can. If, for example, we found a few chimpanzees who was capable of following our moral codes, and contributing to society, then we should grant all chimpanzees a basic set of rights.

The second rebuttal that I will offer is that babies have the potential to contribute to society, as do severely retarded people. A baby has potential to become a functioning member of society, and all but the most severely retarded can contribute to society in some facitility. Note that one could also make the case (using the Principle of Equal Consideration) that if someone loses the ability to suffer, for example they are trapped in a coma, then they lose their rights. The response to this argument is that "There is a chance that that person will awake from the coma". Of course there is always that possibility. But I submit that if we allow such possibilities, then we must also allow such a possibility for medical advancement which would allow the severely retarded to make some contribution to society.

I certainly don't want to be seen as an advocate of animal cruelty. I have not led a sheltered life, as James thinks. I have a dog named Lefty (see the "Praise your Dog" thread). I have spent my youth fishing in Galveston, and hunting in South Texas. But I see no reason that animals should be granted any specific rights, per se. Because I see no moral basis for granting animals rights, I can take no issue with hunting, or eating meat, or using an animals skin to make boots, even if I wouldn't eat my dog.

Well, the animal rights people don't recognize the right of animals to live when they are living with humans, so granting them any rights is an exercise in futility. They're better off with no rights and humans who take care of them.

It has to be Villain or Hero? Nothing in between? Groups like ALF and ELF are not heroes in my book. They target workers. They spike trees hoping to injure loggers, they are utopian reactionaries with an anti worker agenda that would match corporate America's hatred of working people. ALF & ELF have more in common with the radical anti abortion terror groups like Operation Rescue than anything Left or environmentist. These cults do to true environmentalism what Fred Phelp's church does for Christianity.

wsionynw

1.You could be killed walking down the street, does that mean you would prefer to spend your days locked in cage?
2.The deer you mention at least had a fighting chance for survival, which is more than a farm animal has.
3.If the wolves did not hunt and kill the deer then they would end up starving to death. So what's your point????

1.Yes I could, but I wouldn't have to be worried about being eaten alive, in the woods it is far different, it is eat or be eaten, kill or be killed, we have rules that if you follow them in civilization your chances barring accident means that you live to die in bed.

2. You have never watched a pack in the hunt have you, the chances for that deer were slim to none after the wolf pack had singled it out, there were 6 adults in the pack and 1 deer, yes it had a chance, like a snowball in hell. And as a aside I have never witnessed this in the wild but I have seen nature shows on the subject, But in the canine world when wolves catch another canine, be it a Fox, Coyote, Feral Dog, or Domesticated Dog, in their territory, they run it down, and rip it to shreds, the do not allow poaching of their hunting grounds by any other canines, so tell me which is the more preferable death, one that is over in seconds or being ripped apart alive, and consumed while your brain and pain receptors are still function? This is the fate of most of the animals in the wild, they are food for something else, living food.

3. And if we didn't use a large amount of meat in our diets, there would be more starvation around the world than there already is, what is the difference between us and the wolf as to our right not to starve to death? Today around the world we can't feed all of the people, this is due to a Varity of reasons, but our using heard animals for food is no different than the wolf or any other large predator on the planet, we are not herbivores, we are omnivores, it is as stated in the Darwin Theory of Evolution how we survived and evolved and succeeded as a species, to dominate our environmental nitch in the ecology, so now we are the top predator species on the planet, we have learned to control our prey source of food to make the most efficient use of our time and resources to feed our species, so there is nothing unnatural about what we have done, it is also done in nature, in the insect world.

Can you explain this?

It's all over their websites. They want mandatory spay/neuter and the quickest possible end to human ownership of any animals. They start on "exotic" animals because it's easy to get a dog owner to vote against owning a "dangerous" animal like a bear or a tiger. That is how they divide pet owners and use them against each other.

BenTheMan:

I'm glad to see you're putting some thought and effort into this.

The philosophy of the "animal liberation movement" is based largely on the book by Peter Singer, aptly named "Animal Liberation".

Actually, it goes back quite a bit further than that. Jeremy Bentham was the first to promote a basic idea of animal rights, based on the capacity of animals to suffer. Nevertheless, you are true that the modern revival of animal rights gained a boost from Singer's landmark book.

Besides being the animal liberator's manifesto, the book presents the Principle of Equal Consideration, which essentially states that every sentient being is entitled to some basic rights, specifically the right not to be exploited for use by other sentient beings. Sentient, used herein, is generally taken to mean able to feel pain.

The basic principle is that no sentient being should be allowed to be used merely as the means to an end of another being. The right is a recognition of the autonomy-based interest of an individual. Exactly the same principle underlies the ethical judgment against human slavery.

Never mind that this argument and definitions seem to be constructed ex post facto. Further, if "sentient" is taken to mean that it can feel pleasure instead of pain, the argument that animals deserve rights generally crumbles.

Grabbing the nearest dictionary I have to hand, "sentience" is defined to mean "consciously perceiving". In terms of cruelty to animals, obviously the conscious perception of pain is more relevant than the conscious perception of pleasure. No animal feels pleasure as it is being slaughtered, I'll wager.

This idea is ostensibly based in utilitarian principles. Utilitarianism is the idea that one should take the interests of all into account when making decisions, and make decisions in such a way that maximizes the total happiness.

The net happiness. A balancing of happiness vs. unhappiness is needed.

The first issue that one should realize is that maximizing happiness isn't something that can be done in a quantitative manner, and there exists no calculus for determining when happiness is maximized. For example, does my love of steak outweigh a cow's right to live? If the cow lived a pain free existence, and died a pain free death, then surely one cannot object to the fact that the amount of net happiness is increased if I kill and eat the cow.

Did you wait for the cow to die a natural death, or did you kill it?

Surely, the most fundamental prerequisite of happiness for an individual creature is its continued existence (excepting certain special cases).

Suppose we apply your argument to other human beings. Suppose you love eating human beings, because you just adore the taste. Are you then justified in killing other human beings and cannibalising them? Would it be ok if they lived a pain-free existence, and died a pain-free death? Would net happiness increase as a result?

One also could imagine extending this argument and justifying things like torture. If I know that a terrorist has information that would save many lives from a very painful death, then presumably the utilitarian will have no problems with me torturing the terrorist.

On the most basic utilitarian view, it is always acceptable to kill one in order to save many, where the lives involved are treated as fungibles. This is one of the problems with this most basic forms of utilitarianism.

However, the argument doesn't apply to your love-of-meat argument, since we have to weigh up the value of a life against your mere selfish desire for momentary pleasure. The answer, even on a basic utilitarian basis, is obvious.

I am sure that James will insert a reply here that asserts something along the lines of me missing the point. For example, it may be that the Principle of Equal Consideration is more stringent than the utilitarianism on which it is based.

I'm not sure that the Principle of Equal Consideration is based on utilitarianism. It is based on a recognition of inherent value of the individual as a person, not on their market value as a commodity of value to other people.

The closest comparison I can think of to the animal rights case is the case of human slavery.

Then, James may say, "We must increase the happiness so long as that increase doesn't infringe on another's 'right to be' ".

I think what is needed is that we determine what value a "right to be" has, in the utilitarian calculus.

My problem with your approach is that you place a very high value on a human being's "right to be", while placing little to no value on a non-human animal's "right to be", yet with no apparent justification for the double standard. And that's what Equal Consideration is all about.

The main argument that I will advance for not granting animals rights is that they are not functioning members of society. Humans are extended a certain set of rights because of their membership in the human race. We are rational beings, largely capable of adhering to a moral code. There is a contract, of sorts, between each member of society and the rest of society. If each party holds up their respective ends of the bargain, then society functions and all is good. When one member of society cannot abide by the contract, they are isolated. Animals, a priori cannot adhere by any moral codes and thus cannot be members of society. Because they are not members of society, they do not necessarily deserve the same basic rights as humans do.

The obvious contention that one will raise is as follows. What about babies and severely retarded people?

You're completely correct. That is the obvious rejoinder. You are quite happy to grant all kinds of rights to human beings, regardless of any present capacity they have to "adhere to a moral code". You would support, I assume, a retarded person's right not to be killed so somebody else could eat them. You would support such a right for a six-month old baby, too. Yet neither of these human beings have the capacity to "adhere to a moral code". They can't understand what a moral code is.

So, again, you need to justify your double standard. Why grant the right not to be arbitrarily killed to a six-month old baby, say, yet not grant the same right to a chimpanzee who in fact has a greater capacity to meet your criterion for adhering to a moral code?

There are two answers to this. The first one is that the normal human can contribute to society, and there are no grounds for separating humans out simply based on their physical or mental conditions. The average human can certainly contribute to society in a way that the average animal, no matter his specie, never can. If, for example, we found a few chimpanzees who was capable of following our moral codes, and contributing to society, then we should grant all chimpanzees a basic set of rights.

Why should we judge non-human animals by human standards? Why does an animal have to act the same way that a human acts before it becomes eligible for moral consideration from you? Why don't you have to conform to chimpanzee moral codes instead?

You're just begging the question here. You are saying "I won't recognise any rights for animals unless they prove that they are indistinguishable from human beings". But on what basis ought humans to have special rights in the first place, that only apply to beings with human capacities?

As far as I can see, the only basis is speciesism for its own sake. You start from the position that humans deserve special treatment, then you exclude everything that isn't human simply on the basis that it isn't human.

What characteristics of human beings make them deserving of special treatment? In particular, can you point to ONE or perhaps a few criteria that ALL human beings possess that makes them worthy of moral consideration, and that NO non-human animal possesses, so that you can exclude the animals from your moral framework a priori?

The second rebuttal that I will offer is that babies have the potential to contribute to society, as do severely retarded people. A baby has potential to become a functioning member of society, and all but the most severely retarded can contribute to society in some facitility.

Would it be acceptable to kill severely retarded human beings and eat them, then? I presume your answer would be "no". But why?

Your argument about "potential" also has more serious flaws, which I will examine later if necessary.

I certainly don't want to be seen as an advocate of animal cruelty. I have not led a sheltered life, as James thinks. I have a dog named Lefty (see the "Praise your Dog" thread).

And yet, you claimed above that "Lefty" has no capacity to feel pain.

Do you want to retract that claim now? It's patently silly, isn't it?

I have spent my youth fishing in Galveston, and hunting in South Texas. But I see no reason that animals should be granted any specific rights, per se. Because I see no moral basis for granting animals rights, I can take no issue with hunting, or eating meat, or using an animals skin to make boots, even if I wouldn't eat my dog.

I think you're deluding yourself. You just put your own pleasure in hunting, eating meat, wearing animal-skin boots and the like above any petty moral concerns that might be raised about the animals who need their skins to live, for example. Your joy in shooting an un-armed creature is far more important than any interest that creature might have in continuing to enjoy its life, right?

Why wouldn't you eat your dog, by the way?

James. I don't have time for a full reply, but in defense of Lefty:

And yet, you claimed above that "Lefty" has no capacity to feel pain.

Do you want to retract that claim now? It's patently silly, isn't it?

This was never meant to be taken seriously. If you will read the context in which the comment was made, I was making an example of wsionynw's comment about abortion---he/she said that "I don't know enough so I can't comment further". The point was that it is always easy to end a conversation by saying "Well, I don't know, but I'lll just go on thinking I'm right" rather than getting off of one's ass and trying to find out. I can say "Well, I don't know that animals suffer" and the conversation would be over because I have rejected your main contention by claiming ignorance.

I like the Alf too.

alf.gif
I think A.L.F. wouldn't like that ALF as if I remember correctly he had a habit of trying to eat Cats.

I think A.L.F. wouldn't like that ALF as if I remember correctly he had a habit of trying to eat Cats.

That, of course, is beautiful beautiful irony.

wsionynw

Buffalo, again you seem unable to tell the difference between wild animals living out their natural lives (which can of course end in being eaten) and animals bred by the millions that experience little more than pain and death at the hands of humans.
It's true that in some parts of the world people rely on eating animals for their protein. This does not pardon the mass production of meat in the developed world for the purpose of making a few people very rich and millions of consumers very fat.

What exactly is your objection to reducing the suffering of animals bred for food, leather, fur, etc? Not to mention animals killed by the minority of twisted individuals that get pleasure from killing them for so called sport.

James. I don't have time for a full reply, but in defense of Lefty:
This was never meant to be taken seriously. If you will read the context in which the comment was made, I was making an example of wsionynw's comment about abortion---he/she said that "I don't know enough so I can't comment further". The point was that it is always easy to end a conversation by saying "Well, I don't know, but I'lll just go on thinking I'm right" rather than getting off of one's ass and trying to find out. I can say "Well, I don't know that animals suffer" and the conversation would be over because I have rejected your main contention by claiming ignorance.

On the subject of Lefty, if I was to shoot your dog and then claim that my happiness in killing him outweighed your sadness in his death, what would your moral argument be exactly? After all Lefty is just an animal that contributes nothing to human society (by your own standards), and I could well be the sort of person that gets a kick out of killing dogs.
Perhaps you and Lefty should watch this:
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=china_dog_cat_fur_boards2&Player=qt&speed=_med

wsionynw

Buffalo, again you seem unable to tell the difference between wild animals living out their natural lives (which can of course end in being eaten) and animals bred by the millions that experience little more than pain and death at the hands of humans.
It's true that in some parts of the world people rely on eating animals for their protein. This does not pardon the mass production of meat in the developed world for the purpose of making a few people very rich and millions of consumers very fat.

What exactly is your objection to reducing the suffering of animals bred for food, leather, fur, etc? Not to mention animals killed by the minority of twisted individuals that get pleasure from killing them for so called sport.

You talk about "reducing" the suffering of these animals, but this idea moves right over into forbidding them ever to live.

You talk about "reducing" the suffering of these animals, but this idea moves right over into forbidding them ever to live.

I disagree, why should it?
If you mean that by reducing the reliance on factory farms to provide meat then it will reduce the number of animals bred for the purposes of killing them. This would also reduce the amount of feed required for farming animals, thus making more food available for humans.
And so on...

Although I am a vegetarian, there is still the point that if people didn't eat meat they would just cause a knock on effect somewhere else.

For instance:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/soya-blazes-through-the-amazon

The story is a little old and things have been done to attempt to correct the problem since it was first brought to the limelight, however Soya plantations have had a myriad of effects on the environment. In the link above the concern is of how soya plantations sprang up across rainforest regions (meaning the even faster destruction of an already diminishing rainforest.)

Now you could claim that production of meat in a factory farm environment is morally incorrect but you can also suggest that the deforestation of natural environments bringing about multiple occurances of flora and fauna extinctions alike, is in fact even greater in regards to moral irresponsibility.

Worse still was that the crops weren't all going on Vegetarians/Vegans across the world at that time, but on Meat production "Organic" meat production.
However again this has apparently been rectified: http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1827515,00.html

Food giants boycotted the sale of such produce from such regions.
However the damage has been done and will take many years for the ecology to repair (if it's actually allowed to)

I think what I'm trying to say is how do you weigh Factory Farming against something like Global Extinction? After all whats farmed (i.e. cattle, chickens, pigs) isn't under threat, as their continued existence is necessary to continue a foodchain, rainforest flora and fauna on the other hand doesn't have that luxury.

wsionynw said:
On the subject of Lefty, if I was to shoot your dog and then claim that my happiness in killing him outweighed your sadness in his death, what would your moral argument be exactly? After all Lefty is just an animal that contributes nothing to human society (by your own standards), and I could well be the sort of person that gets a kick out of killing dogs.

Then I would say that I am the type of person who sleeps with a loaded .357 Magnum under my bed, and I better not catch you. Remember I am a redneck, and there are certain things which you don't do to a redneck, if you're not familiar with the culture.

I was not using the "happy cow" argument to justify killing animals. It is a utilitarian viewpoint. I was showing that utilitarianism must be rejected for its lack of a moral guidance, or a lack of a means to implement its ends. Further, the utilitarian "calculus"---the way you can decide what increases happiness and what decreases happiness---is so ill-defined as to make the idea of only limited value. You have completely misunderstood my post.

The first few pargraphs are a rebuttal to James' position that the Principle of Equal Consideration tells one how to apply Utilitatarianism to the question of animal rights. I showed that the Principle is not a natural consequence of Utilitarianism, rather a constraint on it that limits its utility. James has responded, and I have yet to address his points. He disagrees with this.

The idea that I advanced is that animals do not contribute to society, therefore they deserve no "rights" in the sense that humans know "rights". Lefty is my dog, and I will protect him. This means that if some sicko decides to kill him, he better not stick around.

Another way to say this is that animals do not live in a society and cannot be bound by a moral code. For example, it is perfectly acceptable for a bear to kill a rabbit. Bears are known to eat a range of things, including small mammals, fish, berries, etc. The bear doesn't need to eat a rabbit to survive---it could just as well eat fish or berries. The bear, however, offers no protection to the rabbit. And if we passed a law protecting rabbits, bears wouldn't care.

Having rights implies some moral responsibility---one cannot simply be given rights and then disregard society. When humans disregard society, they can be (for example) imprisoned.

Please reread post # 83. If I was not clear about the fact that I was rejecting utilitarianism, then I apologize. I feel that I was quite clear.

I think what I'm trying to say is how do you weigh Factory Farming against something like Global Extinction? After all whats farmed (i.e. cattle, chickens, pigs) isn't under threat, as their continued existence is necessary to continue a foodchain, rainforest flora and fauna on the other hand doesn't have that luxury.

This, of course, is again beautiful irony.

.Having rights implies some moral responsibility---one cannot simply be given rights and then disregard society. When humans disregard society, they can be (for example) imprisoned.

I would agree with that statement. However, just "saying" that animals have rights is not the same thing as society passing laws and regulations concerning those rights.

So.....what, exactly, are the laws concerning the "rights" of animals? Chickens, cattle, horses, pigs, etc., that we eat every day? Without delineating precisely what those "animal rights" are for our society, arguing or discussing this issue is like fighting fog or smoke, ain't it?

And some group like ALF can't just make up a few "rights", and then try to enforce those "rights". Isn't that what we call vigilanteism?

Baron Max

Back