The ALF... Villians or Heroes

Oh well...when you put it that way...

The fact is that most Americans depend on cheap chicken and pork. So feeding people, to me, is more important than animal suffering.

wsionynw---why do animals deserve rights? James' argument is that animals suffer, therefore they deserve rights. This is the default position of animal rights groups. The philosophy is based on this book: http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Libera...3980116?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174833649&sr=8-1, near as I can figure.

I pointed out that fetuses have the capacity to feel pain at 8 weeks, and the ability at 27 weeks. If you agree with this position, then you should also agree that abortion is unethical at 8 weeks or 27 weeks, depending on whose research you believe.

I'm not sure it's true that most Americans depend on cheap meat, more that they purchase it to satisfy their tastes. Depend implies that they need this cheap meat to survive, which isn't true. I remember as a young child my parents telling me to eat the meat on my plate as it was the best part of the meal (they offered no reason other than it was the most expensive part of the meal).
I've read Peter Singer's book, you should too. To answer your question I believe animals deserve equal rights and consideration in so much that they have an equal capacity to suffer.
I agree that if proved beyond reasonable doubt that a fetus feels pain at 8weeks or more then it is unethical to abort. I really don't know enough on this subject to comment further.

Of course, you also must agree with the position that if it doesn't feel pain, then there are no basis for granting it rights. Example: someone in a coma.

Someone in a coma might one day wake from that coma, or perhaps have family members that would feel pain if that person were to be killed. I don't think a person in a coma should have more right to life than a chicken in a cage.

I've read Peter Singer's book, you should too. To answer your question I believe animals deserve equal rights and consideration in so much that they have an equal capacity to suffer.

Then show me your support for the right of domesticated and tamed animals to live and reproduce, and make it good.

To answer your question I believe animals deserve equal rights and consideration in so much that they have an equal capacity to suffer.

All animals? Equally? Like rats, mosquitos, killer bees, ..., and I believe that bacteria and viruses are considered "animals", aren't they? Do they all deserve equal rights?

Or are you going to hedge on your stated ideals?

And if you do hedge, judging that some animals should be killed, then you aren't really any different to others, are you? ...just in degree or type of animals, that's all.

Baron Max

Baron:
Well, they're not plants and they are alive, so....?

They aren't plants, so they MUST be animals? No, that's not correct.

There are six kingdoms. Plantae and Animalia are merely two of the six.

Bacteria fall into the Eubacteria and Archaebacteria kingdoms. Viruses don't fall into any of the six, because it's controversial as to whether they qualify as 'alive'.
Even amoeba are considered "single-celled animals"

They belong to the Protista kingdom...

For clarification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_(biology)

wsionynw

In terms of how the animals suffer. It's true that in the end all the animals on both free range farms and factory farms die, but I'm asking you if cheap chicken or pork for greedy humans is worth the millions of animal lives that know nothing but pain and death.

Have you ever spent any time in the wild? that is the lot of wild animals, nothing but pain and death, they live in the wild and die in the wild by fang, claw, starvation, disease, fire, freezing, drought, and only occasionally by natural death, life feeds on life, from the grass growing on the rotting nutrients from dead animals and other plants to the herbivores that feed on the grass to the predators the feed on the herbivores and other predators, even the monkeys kill for food and in protection of their range.

In the factory farms at least the animal is dead before we start to feed on it, in the wild they are consumed before they are dead, I have watched a wolf pack attack a deer, and once they had it down, while it was still alive they ripped open its guts and started to eat the intestines before the deer was unconscious, or dead, they had hamstrung it so it couldn't run, they surrounded it and by weight of numbers dragged it down and then ate a large amount of living flesh before the Deer was dead, the sounds were interesting the bleating of the deer in desperation, and the growls of the wolves as they tore it limb from limb, nature at it finest, blood guts and gore.

I'm not sure it's true that most Americans depend on cheap meat, more that they purchase it to satisfy their tastes. Depend implies that they need this cheap meat to survive, which isn't true. I remember as a young child my parents telling me to eat the meat on my plate as it was the best part of the meal (they offered no reason other than it was the most expensive part of the meal).

You seem to imply that just because Americans get a large part of their calories from meat in their diet, that they are greedy. It is true that many peoples in the world get their calories from other things---i.e. in India there are sects of Hindus who are vegetarians. (My office mate is of this persuasion.) But this is a cultural statement---that we are wrong to have such a diet.

This is a difference of opinion, and it will remain as such. Because we haven't established that animals even deserve rights, we cannot talk about these things.

I can assure you that I will never pay for his book, as I can construct the meat of his arguments by reading things for free on the internet. The crux of his argument is that animals suffer, therefore they deserve rights. Anything that suffers deserves rights.

The question that you and the others have evaded is that fetuses have the capacity to suffer at 7 weeks and the ability to feel pain at 27 weeks. If it is your position that animals deserve rights because they suffer, then you must also accept that a fetus inherintly has some rights as well. I have given several references, all of which I read. If you read them then we will both have the same information. You can debate the validity of these references if you like, however, you will be fighting uphill. The references are Discovery Magazine, NY Times, and a pro choice web site.

I agree that if proved beyond reasonable doubt that a fetus feels pain at 8weeks or more then it is unethical to abort. I really don't know enough on this subject to comment further.

I have two responses. One: I do not know that animals feel pain. I do not know enough on the subject of animal physiology to comment. Two: I could actually go and LOOK UP something on the internet (which you and I are presumably connected to). I would encourage you to do the same, as this issue is critical to your argument. If you believe in animal rights and abortion, my claim is that your philosophy is just as arbitrary and baseless as one who believes in neither animal rights nor abortion.

I believe that suffering should not be the basis for granting rights. Animals cannot be functioning members of society, that is, they are not bound by any moral code, so they cannot be granted the same rights as humans. It is ok for an animal to kill another animal, but not for an animal to kill a human, or a human to kill another human. Because they are not bound by our moral code but by theirs, they do not get the same rights that we do.

Ben, suffering is their excuse for forcing humans to recognize animal rights, under the terms dictated to us by the animal rights activists. There are all sorts of ways to describe what constitutes a right, but private owners who care about their animals are the hard target of animal rights activists. The AR activists are bent on removing the ability of humans who care for animals to care for the animal's rights in a more natural, friendly manner, voluntarily.

I like the Alf too.

alf.gif

BenTheMan:

So apparently people are in the mood of taking everything I say seriously.

You weren't serious? Should we take everything you say as a joke, then, by default, unless you tell us you're serious?

Apologies if I don't have a logical and principled view on every aspect in my life. If spent less time trying to out the crackpots in the Physics forum, or trying to learn Conformal Field Teory, or trying to generate Yukawa couplings for heterotic string models to arbitrary order, then perhaps I could spend my days contemplating the views of animals.

I'm a physicist, too, but I manage to find time to engage with important ethical issues.

James---I will read your article and try to put whatever views I have on firm footing. This is something that, in truth, I had never considered deeply. But I am offended that you dismiss, out of hand, the view that hunting is ok as "immoral" or "unethical".

You haven't yet made an argument for why hunting is moral and ethical. I look forward to your putting your arguments on a firm footing, then.

This is probably exactly correct. I hate protestors in general that I don't agree with.

How do you know you don't agree with animal rights, when by your own words you say you have never considered the issue "deeply"?

...These arguments will not fly with me, because humans have, inherintly, more rights than animals. (Hint to James: I may argue this case based on Scienctific Advancement.)

I look forward to that discussion, too - assuming you'll be able to take time out from your quantum field theory to get around to it.

But there is a significant amount of research that NEEDS to be carried out, and using animals is the only way to do it. Much of the cancer research is done on rats because they are cheap and you can make many exact genetic copies of the same rat---they provide a good control.

Actually, no two rats have the same genes, unless they are clones. And by far the majority of experimental rats are not clones.

Should we protect the rats from being given cancer by researchers? Or what about AIDS research? Should we be worried that rats and bunnies are dying horrible deaths so that people in Africa don't have to?

If you take a stock-standard utilitarian view of ethics, it's a matter of weighing up the pluses and minuses.

In America (I think James is from Europe, because he wrote 'evangelise'), the legal situation is much different.

I'm from Australia.

I am working with a German guy and he was surprised that his coffees come with a warning "Caution: Hot". Or that the buses had this warning on the back "Vehicle makes frequent stops". Aparently there aren't such things in Germany. All of this to say that there exists a significant amount of laws in America to protect stupid people. This means that if someone feeds bleach to their kid, they may be able to sue the bleach company for not putting a warning label on their product.

That's the real reason. The warnings aren't there to protect potential victims of their own stupidity. They are there to protect against litigation. The United States is perhaps the most litigious society on Earth.

So, James. Do you believe in abortion?

Do I believe in it? Well, it undoubtedly exists, so yes, I do believe in it.

But that's not what you're asking, is it? You need to be more specific. Perhaps you're asking whether I think abortion is every justified ethically. In that case, my answer is: yes, abortion can be justified ethically. Perhaps you want to know more: under what circumstances do I think abortion is justifiable? In that case, I suggest you start a new thread on the topic and we can discuss the matter in detail.

Suppose there were no factory farms. I find it hard to believe that Americans could still afford to buy the foods that they are buying. From a social perspective, I think we need farms which mass produce food items.

Meat is very expensive, and takes huge amounts of resources that could be devoted to producing cheaper foods in greater quantities. If meat eating was made illegal, no American would need to starve, and for many their supermarket bills would actually decrease.

If I understand the arguments correctly, James, the Principle of Equal Consideration is that anything which feels pain should be granted the same rights as, say, humans. Is this correct?

Not exactly. Nobody is arguing that animals should have ALL of the rights humans have. What the Principle tells us is to treat like as like. If animals have the same capacity to suffer pain, for example, as humans do, then their rights with respect to being subjected to pain ought to be the same as those of human beings, unless there is an ethically compelling reason not to extend the same rights to them.

So, in terms of pain, you are right. No creature with a capacity equal to human beings to feel pain should be subjected to pain that it would be immoral or illegal to subject a human to.

If you want to look at other rights, we need to compare the relevant capacities there, too. For example, I would not advocate that cows ought to be given the right to vote. The principle of equal consideration would not apply there, since a cow's capacity to vote is obviously questionable.

If this is the case, then you cannot support late term abortions, and past the 28th week of pregnancy (or the 8th week, depending on who you talk to), a fetus must be granted the same rights as you would grant the mother, or a horse, or a mink.

Do you agree?

As a general principle, I do not support late-term abortion on demand - on exactly the basis you suggest here. However, other factors may intervene to make late-term abortion permissible in certain special circumstances.

The fact is that most Americans depend on cheap chicken and pork. So feeding people, to me, is more important than animal suffering.

Americans do not need to eat chicken or pork at all. They don't depend on it - they just like it. It's a choice they make, and other, more ethical, choices are available.

This is a difference of opinion, and it will remain as such. Because we haven't established that animals even deserve rights, we cannot talk about these things.

The default position ought to be that animals deserve rights unless there is a good reason to withhold them. This is the standard applied to all human beings. So far, you haven't given any good reasons for withholding rights, or for putting animals in a separate moral category than human beings.

You've said you'll present arguments, so again I look forward to your analysis on this point.

One: I do not know that animals feel pain. I do not know enough on the subject of animal physiology to comment.

Do you have any pets? A dog, a cat?

If so, you could not make the above statement and keep a straight face. You would have, at some time, tripped over the dog or stood on its tail by accident, or seen it in pain.

Do you live in a city with no animals?

No wonder you have never thought about these things. You've probably led a very sheltered life, and you need to imagine what animals are like. I strongly urge you to go out and experience animals first-hand - not on television, but in the flesh. Visit a farm. Get a friend who has a dog.

If you believe in animal rights and abortion, my claim is that your philosophy is just as arbitrary and baseless as one who believes in neither animal rights nor abortion.

Explain.

I believe that suffering should not be the basis for granting rights.

You would deny anybody a right not to suffer?

Presumably, you would still not allow murder, assault or torture of human beings, at least? If that is the case, I am interested to hear where you think these rights should be grounded.

Animals cannot be functioning members of society, that is, they are not bound by any moral code, so they cannot be granted the same rights as humans.

Are young children or human infants bound by a moral code? They don't know what a moral code is, before a certain age. Is it permissible to hurt them, then? Should we all be able to torture small children with impunity, then, because they have no rights not to suffer, according to you?

It is ok for an animal to kill another animal, but not for an animal to kill a human, or a human to kill another human.

Why is it wrong for a human to kill another human, according to you?

BenTheMan:

Not exactly. Nobody is arguing that animals should have ALL of the rights humans have. What the Principle tells us is to treat like as like. If animals have the same capacity to suffer pain, for example, as humans do, then their rights with respect to being subjected to pain ought to be the same as those of human beings, unless there is an ethically compelling reason not to extend the same rights to them.

You have that right. No one actually argues that animals should have all of the rights that humans have. The allegedly most rabid supporters of animal rights do not support the right of domesticated animals or animals that are kept by humans to live or to reproduce. They are slowly, incrementally putting this lack of support into law. You would not think that animal rights nuts would fight to have a breed or a species exterminated, but they fight to have "exotic" pets exterminated, and they fight hard. Look at PETA's or the HSUS's website.

What about the right to pleasure? What about the right to live on the lands that humans occupy? Animals have the same right to pleasure that humans have, and most of them like a good massage, playtime with friends, toys, and a comfortable place to sleep, so what about enforcing their right to pleasure? They have that capacity. They also have the capacity to take pleasure in having offspring.

Animal rights activists literally claim that many animals cannot have pleasing lives in captivity and that means that they should not live. I've seen several species of animals who were quite happy and pleased with their lives. Even one friend, not necessarily the same species, is enough. Tigers love romping around together, donkeys love just standing next to each other, llamas love having sheep to protect, and bears, and so on.

I wonder how many people who are against the eating of meat because of an animal's right to live have no problem squishing spiders, cockroaches, etc. I have a co-worker like that. She actually gt upset that I wouldn't squish a spider in the office bathroom. (I just scooped it up on a paper towel and took it outside. No need to kill it. It wasn't poisonous to humans and had been living peacefully in a corner.) Apparently, to some people only cute fuzzy animals have a right to live.

I wonder how many people who are against the eating of meat because of an animal's right to live have no problem squishing spiders, cockroaches, etc. I have a co-worker like that. She actually gt upset that I wouldn't squish a spider in the office bathroom. (I just scooped it up on a paper towel and took it outside. No need to kill it. It wasn't poisonous to humans and had been living peacefully in a corner.) Apparently, to some people only cute fuzzy animals have a right to live.

I think that it is hard to establish that a spider suffers when you kill it. Also it has (presumably) lived a pretty good life and killing it quickly wouldn't be a bad thing, per se.

I think I also read on the PETA website that reptiles don't seem to have the same sensations of pain as other animals, so I guess it's ok to kill them as well.

James R:
Three things. One: Apologies if Aussies take being called Brittish as an insult.

Two: You can take everything I say as a joke until proven otherwise. I am not as big a redneck as Baron Max, and perhaps I should be more careful because the online discussion boards are terrible for conveying some sort of expression.

Three: If you are a physicist then you probably remember grad school. Perhaps it was easier for you, but I spend a lot of time thinking about physics. I was raised thinking that things like eating meat and hunting are ok, and have never seriously questioned it. Let me take some time to construct a coherent response. I will not attempt to justify hunting or eating meat untill I can establish that animals don't deserve rights, insofar as any moral stance would keep me from doing these things.

wsionynw

Have you ever spent any time in the wild? that is the lot of wild animals, nothing but pain and death, they live in the wild and die in the wild by fang, claw, starvation, disease, fire, freezing, drought, and only occasionally by natural death, life feeds on life, from the grass growing on the rotting nutrients from dead animals and other plants to the herbivores that feed on the grass to the predators the feed on the herbivores and other predators, even the monkeys kill for food and in protection of their range.

In the factory farms at least the animal is dead before we start to feed on it, in the wild they are consumed before they are dead, I have watched a wolf pack attack a deer, and once they had it down, while it was still alive they ripped open its guts and started to eat the intestines before the deer was unconscious, or dead, they had hamstrung it so it couldn't run, they surrounded it and by weight of numbers dragged it down and then ate a large amount of living flesh before the Deer was dead, the sounds were interesting the bleating of the deer in desperation, and the growls of the wolves as they tore it limb from limb, nature at it finest, blood guts and gore.

You could be killed walking down the street, does that mean you would prefer to spend your days locked in cage?
The deer you mention at least had a fighting chance for survival, which is more than a farm animal has. If the wolves did not hunt and kill the deer then they would end up starving to death. So what's your point????
These kind of simplistic arguments against animal rights are so dated it's almost a bore to read them.

You didn't answer my question Wsionynw ...so I posted it again.

“ Originally Posted by wsionynw
To answer your question I believe animals deserve equal rights and consideration in so much that they have an equal capacity to suffer.”

All animals? Equally? Like rats, mosquitos, killer bees, ..., and I believe that bacteria and viruses are considered "animals", aren't they? Do they all deserve equal rights?

And if you do hedge, judging that some animals should be killed, then you aren't really any different to others, are you? ...just in degree or type of animals, that's all.

Baron Max

Ben, I think you missed my point regarding greedy consumers. The issue is to do with the mass production of meat that we simply do not need (those that profit from it do, but that is a different matter).

I didn't evade your question about abortion, I think I agreed with you?

Perhaps then you should look into the subject, and decide for yourself if animals feel pain (I suspect sarcasm on your part). I don't know that humans feel pain, I've only my own experience of pain to judge what you or others even mean by pain. Shall we go around in circles on this or simply follow the logic that animals do feel pain and suffer?

But animals are functioning members of society, we know this as fact. Our human societies breed them, kill them, hunt them, look after them, observe them, etc. If we depend on animals so much then are we not duty bound to act in their interests as well as our own? I'm really trying hard not to mention slavery here, oh shit I just did! :eek:

What do think the basis for granting rights should be, if not based on the capacity to suffer?

You didn't answer my question Wsionynw ...so I posted it again.

“ Originally Posted by wsionynw
To answer your question I believe animals deserve equal rights and consideration in so much that they have an equal capacity to suffer.”

Baron Max

Sorry Baron, I thought Mountainhare answered for me.
Yes, rats, mosquitos, bees, etc deserve equal consideration, with a view to suffering (this links to conservation and the protection of species). I don't simply feel that fluffy animals deserve rights (for that would make me a fuckwit).

Back