The Age of the Universe

Dancing Jenyar

Originally posted by heart
----------
LOL Yeah, he either dances like crazy or becomes quiet..just an observation
----------
(He's been busy choreographing tribal dances for the Bantu and Kafir in Jesus' name.)

Medicine woman

The sumerians were the first civilization to invent writing called cuneiform they were masters at astronomy, math, and other systems we still use today. but yes there are many other civilizations at that time Akkadian, Elamite, and Ugaritic.

36000 Year old Skull found!!

Just saw on CNN headline news that they have found a Human Jaw bone and parts of Skull 36000 years old....wow...that sure puts the Xian belief of 6000 year old earth in quandary

Re: 36000 Year old Skull found!!

Originally posted by Guru
----------
Just saw on CNN headline news that they have found a Human Jaw bone and parts of Skull 36000 years old....wow...that sure puts the Xian belief of 6000 year old earth in quandary
----------
(Oh, but I'm sure you already know what they'll say:
A) It's a fake.
B) Carbon-dating is in error.
C) It's another trick by Satan.
D) Jesus saved it, too.)

the bible was a science to explain everything people didn't inderstand way back when. now because we understand things it seems stupid, not spiritually inspired at all. if it was, its explanation of things are not inspired by the all knowledgable god you believe in.
The Bible certainly reflects the scientific beliefs of the day, but it was by no means a scientific endeavor. If it was, then there would be no miracles, but rather explanations for them. Instead, it relies on the integrity of the sources to present them not as explained phenomena, but as unexplained (yet real and significant) ones.

f anyone here is ignoring the words, it's you. You refuse to believe that 6 days means 6 days. You refuse to believe that a day in Genesis was the same as it is now, when there is nothing that says it wasn't. These are ideas that you've made up in your head based on the words that don't quite fit into your logical brain (Though I think you should get a refund on that thing). And just to be clear, I'm not arguing the Bible's validity here, I'm just saying that if it says six days, it means six days. Based on the WORDS of the text, I see no reason to believe otherwise.
It definitely meant: six days. But was it? Are "days" even important in the account other than signifying a passage of time? How long was the seventh day? The intention and the message is exactly what it was supposed to be. Whether the science was, is another question - one that science is busy trying to answer. The Bible does not provide an answer, it provides a perspective. Most other religions of the day worshipped the sun, moon or stars as gods - the Bible doesn't even name them as such. It makes the point that even light comes from God first, the sun second. It gives us a perspective on "light" and "darkness" that the concepts of "day" and "night" are only images of.

If you look at a mirror, who do you see?

Re: Re: 36000 Year old Skull found!!

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
Originally posted by Guru
----------
----------
(Oh, but I'm sure you already know what they'll say:
A) It's a fake.
B) Carbon-dating is in error.
C) It's another trick by Satan.
D) Jesus saved it, too.)
and E) it was half-human.

Re: Dancing Jenyar

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
He's been busy choreographing tribal dances for the Bantu and Kafir in Jesus' name.
Yes, and my third wife was recently killed by a leopard outside my hut, so I have been consulting the Sangoma about the cleansing ceremony :rolleyes:

That's like me assuming you are a native American living in a reserve.

Re: Re: Dancing Jenyar

Originally posted by Jenyar
Yes, and my third wife was recently killed by a leopard outside my hut, so I have been consulting the Sangoma about the cleansing ceremony :rolleyes:

That's like me assuming you are a native American living in a reserve.
----------
Jenyar, if you assumed that I am a Native American, you would be partially correct as I have Cherokee on both sides of my family and, certainly, no offense is taken. To assume that I am living on a reservation, that is a wonderful thought. How much I would like to be there instead of this smoggy, extremely hot and humid, brick oven city of 4 million people, most of whom are illegal aliens and don't speak English.

The Bible certainly reflects the scientific beliefs of the day, but it was by no means a scientific endeavor. If it was, then there would be no miracles, but rather explanations for them. Instead, it relies on the integrity of the sources to present them not as explained phenomena, but as unexplained (yet real and significant) ones.

I can see that, but I'm sorry, Jenyar, I don't trust a document that has been translated and re-translated and re-re-translated and passed through the Dark Ages and open to dramatic editing by many, many, many people to be an accurate description of anything. I would not doubt that some of what is written is true; it isn't a stretch that many stories are actual accounts of what happened back then. BUT...there isn't any reason to disregard the notion that some-if not a great portion-of the Bible is completely fabricated.

It definitely meant: six days. But was it? Are "days" even important in the account other than signifying a passage of time?

Who knows? But to simply assume that they aren't, I believe, is a bit beyond your limits as a believer. After all, they are very specific about those days, describing each day as it passes, so I see no reason to believe itdoesn't have some importance beyond just the passage of time.

Whether the science was, is another question - one that science is busy trying to answer. The Bible does not provide an answer, it provides a perspective.

Yeah, but is it the perspective of a person or people who knew how their enviroment worked? I highly doubt it.

It makes the point that even light comes from God first, the sun second. It gives us a perspective on "light" and "darkness" that the concepts of "day" and "night" are only images of.

Darkness is the absence of light, Jenyar. You know, an argument with you or any other theist is pointless, because you will throw out the science of anything in order to get your point across. That is just rediculous. Day and Night are images of light and darkness? Give up on the attempts at poetic insertion, because it isn't working. It's the sign of a man who has truly nothing to say, and wants to mask it with pretty words. Just make your arguemnt and leave the prose to someone who's good at it.

JD

Originally posted by JDawg
I can see that, but I'm sorry, Jenyar, I don't trust a document that has been translated and re-translated and re-re-translated and passed through the Dark Ages and open to dramatic editing by many, many, many people to be an accurate description of anything. I would not doubt that some of what is written is true; it isn't a stretch that many stories are actual accounts of what happened back then. BUT...there isn't any reason to disregard the notion that some-if not a great portion-of the Bible is completely fabricated.
It has only been translated once, some parts perhaps twice, in order to give you an English version. Certainly no translation after 1800 has "passed through the Dark Ages". There are about 25 000 versions of the New Testament to compare with one another, and the Old Testament has been sacred since the time of Moses. Instead of going into the topic again at length, I'll refer you to a few relevant sites:
Objections about the accuracy of the Bible
Illustration of text manuscript and variant tree readings
Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability

They probably won't convince you, but I hope they at least provide enough information for you to adjust your views accordingly.
Who knows? But to simply assume that they aren't, I believe, is a bit beyond your limits as a believer. After all, they are very specific about those days, describing each day as it passes, so I see no reason to believe itdoesn't have some importance beyond just the passage of time.
It's not really. Because we are now quite certain they were written out of a human perspective, we can hope to at least achieve the understanding the author had in mind when delivering it. And we don't have to use just Genesis - the rest of the Bible expounds on it and provides enough information to lead to further interpretations. We know at least the importance of keeping the seventh day as a day of rest, as well as the understanding about holiness which followed from that. Genesis was much more than a creation of the world, it really describes the creation of a faith based on a the worldview it describes. Where other cultures would worship the sun or stars as gods, those who believed the Bible were excluded that possibility because Genesis clearly states that they are just created along with everything else. The whole creation account esablishes God as the creator, and shows Him establishing proper times and places for everything.

Genesis is constantly aware of its moral implications. The evolutionary teaching about the suspected origin of life doesn't.

Yeah, but is it the perspective of a person or people who knew how their enviroment worked? I highly doubt it.
Most natural laws are evident without knowing where they come from or how they work. But what if their conclusions from the evidence were different than ours? Surely they were just as valid. It is a mistake to assume that they had to come to the conclusion of "god" because they knew less than we do. Believers today have just as much reason to believe God created the earth as anybody before them. And people then had just as much reason not to believe as you have today.

Darkness is the absence of light, Jenyar. You know, an argument with you or any other theist is pointless, because you will throw out the science of anything in order to get your point across. That is just rediculous. Day and Night are images of light and darkness? Give up on the attempts at poetic insertion, because it isn't working. It's the sign of a man who has truly nothing to say, and wants to mask it with pretty words. Just make your arguemnt and leave the prose to someone who's good at it.
The point I want to get across is the same one Genesis brings across. That God is the "author" of light - in a natural and spiritual sense - not the sun. "God called the light 'day', and the darkness 'night' ". This was the same light He separated from darkness (haven't you wondered what that means?) even before there was a sun to "shine" it. By what light was God's work visible before there were any stars to illuminate it? If everything was "dark", where did the light come from that God could separate it?

Some realities are best expressed in poetic language, simply because facts don't do justice to the process. Besides reason, the imagination is our best tool for understanding. If all facts were self-explanatory, there would not have been science in the first place. In order to understand something you have to be able to imagine its principles first.

I'm not throwing science out - I'm pointing out its limitations when describing something that cannot be repeated or observed.

The point I want to get across is the same one Genesis brings across. That God is the "author" of light - in a natural and spiritual sense - not the sun. "God called the light 'day', and the darkness 'night' ". This was the same light He separated from darkness (haven't you wondered what that means?) even before there was a sun to "shine" it. By what light was God's work visible before there were any stars to illuminate it? If everything was "dark", where did the light come from that God could separate it?
lol, this is beautiful. god is the "author" of light. not the sun. or any other star that emits light and heat because of the huge chemical reactions that expend massive amounts of energy into the universe- of course it's not.

"This was the same light He separated from darkness (haven't you wondered what that means?)" you do realise that there is nothing to separate? it's just your romantic view of the universe. darknesses has been given a meaning by humans when it is nothing much more than the absence of light. think what you may think, but all your observations are from the human perspective, with the human consistency of assigning human values and traits to things that aren't anymore animate than the proton and neutron that make up an atoms nucleus. that is one reason i don't think you can take christianity seriously, everything is relative to us, never is the universe described in ways other than its relevance to us. wake up to the idea that nothing in essence has relevance or meaning. or the idea that the universe isn't relevant to us and see how your arguement is all based on human assumption. you've said i can't see anything significant beyond what is, yet you display human bias against everything time and time again, drawing conclusions that are always about humans. it's not about us. are you so arogant you can't see this?

All right, let me first apologize for the pompus attitude I exuded in my last post towards you, Jenyar, because there really wasn't a need for it. We're both coming from different sides of this discussion, and sometimes I forget that my view (although I believe it to be the correct one) isn't always the one everyone else has.

I will skip over the integrity of the New Testament argument for this post, just so I can sit down and read them before I try to discuss them. So let's skip ahead:

It's not really. Because we are now quite certain they were written out of a human perspective, we can hope to at least achieve the understanding the author had in mind when delivering it.

Genesis reads like a blow-by-blow of how Earth and everything around it was created; on the contrary to what you would call a "Human Perspective." The perspective is from that of a fly-on-the-wall during the creation. Now, if you tell me that the author had a specific idea in mind while writing it that was OTHER than simply relaying this information to paper, then it seems like the author was writing what he thought happened, as opposed to what did happen.

Another good question is, where the hell did this author learn of the creation? Is there ever a time in the Bible where we find out when or how God told him?

Genesis was much more than a creation of the world, it really describes the creation of a faith based on a the worldview it describes

That statment is cloudy, because at this point I can't tell if you are saying that Genesis is literal or figurative. And if it is figurative, does that not throw the whole idea of Creation into question?

Where other cultures would worship the sun or stars as gods, those who believed the Bible were excluded that possibility because Genesis clearly states that they are just created along with everything else.

Again, I ask why you come to that conclusion based on the words, but won't conclude that six days actually means six days. After all, it never actually says "These are just stars," or "these planets are just here for show."

The whole creation account esablishes God as the creator, and shows Him establishing proper times and places for everything.

So, again, is it literal? Did it really happen, or is it just a way for the author to spread his ideal of God and the religion?

Genesis is constantly aware of its moral implications. The evolutionary teaching about the suspected origin of life doesn't.

See, this is my problem with theists. You guys are constantly throwing this whole idea of morality into my face. Why does everything have to hold a moral value? Fact itself is morally ambiguous, for there is no "fact" that murder is wrong, nor is there a "fact" that rape is wrong. It seems like you will ignore the evidence for something other than the Bible's account of the world based on it's lack of a moral code! Just because evolution doesn't have some sort of lesson to teach, it's not true? That is, as atheroy put it, a romantic notion.

Most natural laws are evident without knowing where they come from or how they work.

Are they? So when you first saw lightning, you knew what it was a natural occurance? You mean to tell me that a tribe of as-yet-discovered Africans has any idea what lightning is? Is it not plausible to imagine they would see lightning as a punishment from their god? Why not? They have no clue what it is, nor do they have any reasonable means to explain it, so who is to say what they would see it as? Your statement is just rediculous.

But what if their conclusions from the evidence were different than ours? Surely they were just as valid.

How so? If I see lightning and tell you why it happens and where it comes from, it's valid. If you tell me that it's because God is mad at me, it's not valid.

It is a mistake to assume that they had to come to the conclusion of "god" because they knew less than we do.

Why is that? Have you ever seen ball lightning? You would have no clue what the hell it was, aside from saying to yourself "It had to be ball lightning," based on the knowledge bestowed upon you by your local meteorologist. People who didn't know of lightning, or why it came, would have had no limits to their conclusions.

Look at what happens today, for example. People see something strange in the sky, and what do they say? UFO! Today's UFOs are yesterday's Gods. It's the same idea. How is it different? And guess what? There are UFO-based religions! Doesn't that fit the mold?

Believers today have just as much reason to believe God created the earth as anybody before them. And people then had just as much reason not to believe as you have today.

But that is just conjecture, Jenyar. Why don't I believe? If I have just as much reason to believe as they did, or as you do, why don't I? I would love to know the truth, one way or the other, but the fact is, there isn't any reason to believe: There is no evidence. Back then, I would imagine they had more reason to believe, because they had little to explain what the hell was going on around them. Some must have said that a "god" was responsible.

That God is the "author" of light - in a natural and spiritual sense - not the sun. "God called the light 'day', and the darkness 'night' ". This was the same light He separated from darkness (haven't you wondered what that means?) even before there was a sun to "shine" it. By what light was God's work visible before there were any stars to illuminate it? If everything was "dark", where did the light come from that God could separate it?

Um, but that's assuming God created it...and that isn't backed by anything factual. So those questions aren't valid. You're getting into sermon here, Jenyar, and it isn't convincing at all.

Some realities are best expressed in poetic language, simply because facts don't do justice to the process.

Let me show you how right you are:

"I saw this girl, and she was so beautiful...her eyes shone into my heart, and she spoke to me with her own. Love took over my soul, and I gathered the nerve to ask her to be mine. When she said yes, my heart fluttered like a dove, and soon she shared my feelings. We made beautiful love, and many months later, God bestowed upon us a miraculous gift; a son."

Compared to:

"I saw this girl, and I caught a whiff of her ferimones, and a chemical reaction occured in my brain. This caused an emotion, which basically keeps a man interested enough and brave enough to initiate a conversation with a woman. From there, her brain started having these chemical reactions, which resulted in the same emotion. We mated, and 9 months later, she gave birth."

One is a poetic way of telling the story, and the other is the factual account of what happened. Do you see how the poetic way of describing the events clouds the truth? What is a mechanism to keep humankind from dying out, becomes a spiritual dance between two interlocked souls. See the difference?

Besides reason, the imagination is our best tool for understanding. If all facts were self-explanatory, there would not have been science in the first place. In order to understand something you have to be able to imagine its principles first.

But you're twisting the actual definition of imagination. In order to understand something, you have to imagine it's principals, yes. But that doesn't mean just throwing wild ideas into the air; it means taking count of what you have to this point, and trying to tie them into what works based on that. You can't say "I imagine a world with flying grey elephants who pooped rocks....and that's where mountains come from." It doesn't work like that.

I'm not throwing science out - I'm pointing out its limitations when describing something that cannot be repeated or observed.

It's only limitation is that you cannot witness the event yourself. But, through evidences discovered from the event, you can form theories that may very well tell the story of the event. That is how science works. Unfortunately, you throw it out because it does not match what you have been told "really happened."

JD

Last edited:
Life began from a tiny cell - I am not good at all at explaining scientific stuffs - and evolved into whatever we are able to see now. Evovlution, I believe, cannot be denied. It is difficult to prove it especialy the turn from man-apes to man.
That the universe is a little bit more than 6000 years old according to The Bible, this cannot be denied too.
Now what are you trying to prove? God does not exist? He was lying? He did not have our to-day`s data?
What happened if God told all the things many years ago?
What happened if we were not faced with questions?
I have solved this problem for me like this. I tell myself, the prophets were human beings. They were not perfect, but they were quite different from their environment. I think their mission was to lead people to salvation. They talked about their version of seeing the universe.
They were born in very bad times, old times. People were almost ignorant. They did not ask real and first rate questions.
We have no access to the prophets to ask them these questions.
Perhaps this confusion is a good response for waiting for The Second Coming.
God bless you all and your questions. Cheers

Life began from a tiny cell - I am not good at all at explaining scientific stuffs - and evolved into whatever we are able to see now. Evovlution, I believe, cannot be denied. It is difficult to prove it especialy the turn from man-apes to man.
That the universe is a little bit more than 6000 years old according to The Bible, this cannot be denied too.
i'm sorry, but you forget the time it takes for evolution to occur, the universe to form, dinosaurs, etc.- there is no way in hell the universe is six thousand years old. we wouldn't be able to see most of the stars we see now as their collective light wouldn't have reached us yet. SO many other things to say but what i've said pretty much sums it up for me.

I rarely participate in these types of discussions since frankly the most ardent Bible thumpers brains seem to have turned into mush.

They spew out the most ridiculus arguements and virtually everything they say actually demeans any true God that might exist (and in my view none does).

But I was interested to note the following posts:

Yes, but the vatican is has documents, artifacts, artwork, etc. that should be the property of man as a species, locked away in their vaults. The vatican will gladly show you old versions of the Bible, but only the ones they want us to see. New books are found and if they cannot be locked away the vatican calls them heresy.

So I agree, the Bible has been scrutized by countless people over the centuries, but I still hold firm in my belief that the vatican will only show what it wants people to believe.

- KitNyx

The Bible says what it intends to say, and the fact that 66 books can be seen as one means there is some kind of consistency intended.

What a lot of hypocritical crap.

The Bible is the most inconsistant and incomplete document ever compiled.

Ever wonder why you have Jesus being born by miraculus conception and you never hear of him again until he is Gods son going around trying to impress people?

Well its called the "Lost Books of the Bible" and I have a copy in my archives. Funny thing it is a text taught in theology. It is also clearly marked "Not for Public Desimination or Sale".

It is several books removed from the original compilation of books forming the current Bible and tells of Jesus's childhood and youth.

He killed several playmates because they pissed him off and he killed a teacher because the teacher attempted to discipline him for back talking him and being a general smart mouth.

He, according to these books, possessed extreme powers and misused them.

I don't buy into them either but they clearly didn't fit the churches need for recruiting followers and claiming Jesus as being so loving, kind and considerate. So they have been left out of the Bible.

"Thou shalt not kill"???? Would have been a complete hypocracy
had they included these Books.

Knowing to believe only half of
what you hear is a sign of
intelligence. Knowing which
half to believe will make you a
genius.

Hey MISS,

How can this not be denied? Please, show some proof. I know atheroy (as he always does, and always does so well:D ) has already refuted your claim, but I'd like to hear your side of it.

MacM,

They spew out the most ridiculus arguements and virtually everything they say actually demeans any true God that might exist (and in my view none does).

I agree with that, but I don't think anyone is in any position to say that no god exists. Saying that one doesn't is just as bad as saying one does, because neither argument is backed with evidence. We can decide for ourselves, based on inconsistancies within religious texts, if the stories based on those gods are true or not, but that's as far as our argument can go. The only answer to the question "Is there a God," is "I don't know."

It is several books removed from the original compilation of books forming the current Bible and tells of Jesus's childhood and youth.

He killed several playmates because they pissed him off and he killed a teacher because the teacher attempted to discipline him for back talking him and being a general smart mouth.

This is very interesting, MacM. I know the books are for private use, but is there any way you could post some passages from them? I've never heard about any of this.

And another question would be, does the text actually say that Jesus "misused" the powers? Was there a lesson to be learned from it, or did the texts simply tell the story of the abuse without apologizing for it?

JD

Originally posted by JDawg
All right, let me first apologize for the pompus attitude I exuded in my last post towards you, Jenyar, because there really wasn't a need for it. We're both coming from different sides of this discussion, and sometimes I forget that my view (although I believe it to be the correct one) isn't always the one everyone else has.
No problem.

Genesis reads like a blow-by-blow of how Earth and everything around it was created; on the contrary to what you would call a "Human Perspective." The perspective is from that of a fly-on-the-wall during the creation. Now, if you tell me that the author had a specific idea in mind while writing it that was OTHER than simply relaying this information to paper, then it seems like the author was writing what he thought happened, as opposed to what did happen.
Stephen Hawking calls it the anthropic principle in The universe in a nutshell. We can only understand things greater than us by bringing it into a perspective we can already grasp. That is why allegory and parables are so useful.

Another good question is, where the hell did this author learn of the creation? Is there ever a time in the Bible where we find out when or how God told him?
Well, it definitely wasn't scientific observation. Just like we don't know where the Aztecs got their accurate astrological information.

That statment is cloudy, because at this point I can't tell if you are saying that Genesis is literal or figurative. And if it is figurative, does that not throw the whole idea of Creation into question?
You have to ask the question: what was Genesis meant to convey? It certainly wasn't going to gain credibility by making something up that couldn't be confirmed, so we must conclude it wasn't meant to convey "scientific" information even by primitive standards. Yet it is far more conservative theologically speaking than other creation accounts, where gods were fighting mythical creatures and created only amidst great odds and controversy.

I think it was intended to be both literal and figurative, as a prophesy would be. It isn't exclusively either, but literal as far as its importance and God's involvement was concerned, while also loaded with figurative possibilities - i.e: meaning.

Again, I ask why you come to that conclusion based on the words, but won't conclude that six days actually means six days. After all, it never actually says "These are just stars," or "these planets are just here for show."
Compare the Egyptian creation with Genesis. There are similarities, but the differences are enlightening:
Not surprisingly, the sun was also among the most important elements in the Egyptians lives and therefore had an important role as a creator god. His names and attributes varied greatly. As the rising sun his name was Khepri, the great scarab beetle, or Ra-Harakhte who was seen as a winged solar-disk or as the youthful sun of the eastern horizon. As the sun climbed toward mid-day it was called Ra, great and strong. When the sun set in the west it was known as Atum the old man, or Horus on the horizon. As a solar-disk he was known as Aten. The sun was also said to be an egg laid daily by Geb, the 'Great Cackler' when he took the form of a goose.

. . . . .To the Egyptians the moon was any one of a number of gods. As an attribute of the god Horus the moon represented his left eye while his right was the sun. Seth was a lunar god, in his struggles with the solar god Horus, Seth is seen as a god of darkness doing constant battle with the god of light. We often find the ibis-headed god Thoth wearing a lunar creseant on his head.
- from Egyptian Creation mythology
14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.

So, again, is it literal? Did it really happen, or is it just a way for the author to spread his ideal of God and the religion?
In a certain sense, of course it can be seen as "propaganda" for the God of the Israelites. But where other accounts certainly try to explain why and how everything was created - at times going into great detail about who devoured whom and who gave birth to what - Genesis makes no such claims. Compared to other religions it is "factual", but it doesn't try to explain itself. Literally, it says God really created the universe as we know it in six days - but immediately we are made aware that the time and "days" would have been just arbitrary abstractions unless God ordered them as He did. What is day and night really, but what we call the separation between light and darkness?

See, this is my problem with theists. You guys are constantly throwing this whole idea of morality into my face. Why does everything have to hold a moral value? Fact itself is morally ambiguous, for there is no "fact" that murder is wrong, nor is there a "fact" that rape is wrong. It seems like you will ignore the evidence for something other than the Bible's account of the world based on it's lack of a moral code! Just because evolution doesn't have some sort of lesson to teach, it's not true? That is, as atheroy put it, a romantic notion.
Exactly because fact itself is morally ambiguous. I don't ignore the evidence of anything - my point is that the Bible pays only a passing homeage to "facts". They are dead entities, they make no difference to your life either way but in their interpretation and application.

I am frequently accused of being overly "emotional" when emotion is irrelevant in the discussion. But people forget that I am not proposing an alternative to science, and neither is the Bible. It proposes a way of looking at and doing things that fits our existence in a creation that God intended. It fosters an outlook on life that will remain true, valid and relevant no matter how our own perspectives change. An outlook that includes God in the whole spectrum of human experience - not just the empirical one.

Consider this whole debate we are having about whether Genesis is literal or not. Your position (and correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but this is how I understand it) is that the credibility of the Bible is compromised by its apparent inability to justify its alleged supernatural source (and therefore authority) by including miraculous facts, that can only now be confirmed. If the Bible said for example "in the beginning God created a solar year, and the universe was created over 45 billion of these 'years' " once this could be confirmed, you would believe the rest of the Bible. I'm saying you would believe it even less, because it just wouldn't make sense. If facts were so important, why would God emphasize relationships and other unscientific approaches towards life? And if the earth's orbit had changed within the period of creation, how accurate would Genesis still be? Wouldn't the chronological "inaccuracy" before or after such a change compromise the message?

But I know that Genesis is the least of your objections. No amount of "factual" information will get you to believe in the God who could create facts. In the end such information would still be relative to us, who are only indirectly relative God.

Are they? So when you first saw lightning, you knew what it was a natural occurance? You mean to tell me that a tribe of as-yet-discovered Africans has any idea what lightning is? Is it not plausible to imagine they would see lightning as a punishment from their god? Why not? They have no clue what it is, nor do they have any reasonable means to explain it, so who is to say what they would see it as? Your statement is just rediculous.
I hope atheroy read this as well. You admit that what is "natural" is limited to how much you can explain - or at least you think it is true for primitive cultures, as we ourselves undoubtedly were long ago. Therefore they would necessarily conclude that anything they cannot explain is "supernatural". Yet you seem to think that we are somehow exempt from such ignorance. What you describe is empirically observed nature - which is as factual as we can get, yet we have to theorize quarks and dark matter and Planck lengths because it isn't powerful enough to even describe what we see. How much less what we don't see.

How so? If I see lightning and tell you why it happens and where it comes from, it's valid. If you tell me that it's because God is mad at me, it's not valid.
I agree that that it won't be valid, yet that is how many people still think about God. The book of Job is a specific refutation of such thinking. But it comes down to conceptualizing God to the point where his presence is either only natural, or only supernatural. Such a concept leaves no room for free will (another discussion), or for God's will (which might not "control" or "intercede" in ways we can automatically discern).

Why is that? Have you ever seen ball lightning? You would have no clue what the hell it was, aside from saying to yourself "It had to be ball lightning," based on the knowledge bestowed upon you by your local meteorologist. People who didn't know of lightning, or why it came, would have had no limits to their conclusions.
Like St. Elmo's fire? Will o' wisps? People don't have to attribute these things to God, you know. The paradigm comes first, then the explanation. In a superstitious culture, these things would be called ghosts or omens, in a more scientific culture, they would be phenomena begging for study, in a spiritualistic culture, they could be gods or signs from gods. They are just different ways of approaching the unknown. The Israelites didn't deify the "pillar of fire" that lead them through the desert, did they, although I'm sure it was as unexplainable to them as it would be to us. They already had a God. And studying or explaining it naturalistically would not change that fact or the fact that it was "leading" them. Are you beginning to see what Genesis managed to achieve? Nothing in its creation could replace the God of creation.

Look at what happens today, for example. People see something strange in the sky, and what do they say? UFO! Today's UFOs are yesterday's Gods. It's the same idea. How is it different? And guess what? There are UFO-based religions! Doesn't that fit the mold?
That is why there is a saying that "science is a graveyard for dead religions and superstitions". But would a UFO replace the God of the Bible? How long did the creation of the same universe take on a planet that had 64 hour days? My guess is: six literal days.

God is not the result of the unexplained. He is the God of the unexplained, just as He is the God of the explained.

But that is just conjecture, Jenyar. Why don't I believe? If I have just as much reason to believe as they did, or as you do, why don't I? I would love to know the truth, one way or the other, but the fact is, there isn't any reason to believe: There is no evidence. Back then, I would imagine they had more reason to believe, because they had little to explain what the hell was going on around them. Some must have said that a "god" was responsible.
You would love to see the evidence, but you don't believe the evidence. You say you would love to know the truth, but would you believe the truth? Maybe you are looking for reasons to believe in a scientific god - a natural supernatural god - but such a god doesn't exist. Science can be an opium: it creates an artificial space within which everything makes sense, where everything is explained. It gradually expands its borders, and that creates the hope that eventually everything will be explained - indeed, that everything is ultimately explainable.

But it is still a bubble, similar to the bubble you think I'm in. Although my experience is that living things behave differently than facts. They are just as unpredictable, inconsistent, controversial, emotional, irrational, unreasonable, imaginative, stupid, and contradictory as they are otherwise. Since I believe in a living God and not another natural object, I can see no reason why science should apply but not experience - why myth, imagination and art should not be able to describe truth as validly and accurately as equations and samples. It's a scary thought, but we have no reason to expect reality to behave as we'd like it to.

Um, but that's assuming God created it...and that isn't backed by anything factual. So those questions aren't valid. You're getting into sermon here, Jenyar, and it isn't convincing at all.
There is nothing more factual than the universe itself. That you can't measure and reproduce it is a problem with science, not with God.

Let me show you how right you are:

"I saw this girl, and she was so beautiful...her eyes shone into my heart, and she spoke to me with her own. Love took over my soul, and I gathered the nerve to ask her to be mine. When she said yes, my heart fluttered like a dove, and soon she shared my feelings. We made beautiful love, and many months later, God bestowed upon us a miraculous gift; a son."

Compared to:

"I saw this girl, and I caught a whiff of her ferimones, and a chemical reaction occured in my brain. This caused an emotion, which basically keeps a man interested enough and brave enough to initiate a conversation with a woman. From there, her brain started having these chemical reactions, which resulted in the same emotion. We mated, and 9 months later, she gave birth."

One is a poetic way of telling the story, and the other is the factual account of what happened. Do you see how the poetic way of describing the events clouds the truth? What is a mechanism to keep humankind from dying out, becomes a spiritual dance between two interlocked souls. See the difference?
Depends on what truth you are illustrating. Will the second example portray accurately to your son how you fell in love with your wife? Will it create the expectation that he can expect the same kind of love, or will he wonder for the rest of his life whether his feromones will always send the right message to your brain? Will he live in fear of the day that his father's brain suddenly stops being incited towards love for him? But if you truly believed what you said in the first example, being called a "miraculous gift" would certainly leave no room for your son to doubt that he is more than the result of mating brought on by a sequence of events that are no more significant in your eyes than a pair of spiders doing the same thing.

Now which of our examples above illustrates "the truth" more accurately?

But you're twisting the actual definition of imagination. In order to understand something, you have to imagine it's principals, yes. But that doesn't mean just throwing wild ideas into the air; it means taking count of what you have to this point, and trying to tie them into what works based on that. You can't say "I imagine a world with flying grey elephants who pooped rocks....and that's where mountains come from." It doesn't work like that.
Of course not. But sometimes you have to imagine things like flying grey elephants so that you can understand concepts that would otherwise be "unimaginable". A good example is a person who has to remember very long number sequences: "flying grey elephants" could be a 100% sufficient and accurate way of putting the number 1876302981614876140876 into words, while "it pooped rocks" could emphasize a certain conclusion from such a set from other possibilities. I'm not making this up - I know someone who uses exactly this technique. "Flying grey elephants who pooped rocks" would be nonsense to you until it was deciphered, not as wild ideas thrown into the air - but according to the specific meaning it carries.

The moment "facts" enter the mind, they become more than they appear in a laboratory. We attribute meaning, significance, relevance, and all kinds of qualifyers than turn data into information. While God exists separately from us, He does not "become alive" to us until we live in a relationship with Him - and such a relationship depends as much on His reality as on your willingness to accept it for whatever it might be.

I can only tell you that science is a long way off from finding God, but that isn't a valid reason for not believing in Him. He exist as a living reality, not as a fossil of superstition.

It's only limitation is that you cannot witness the event yourself. But, through evidences discovered from the event, you can form theories that may very well tell the story of the event. That is how science works. Unfortunately, you throw it out because it does not match what you have been told "really happened."
The difficulty with "what happened"(A), "what could have happened"(B), and what you believe "really happened"(C) exists only from certain perspectives.

The Library of Alexandria either existed or it didn't. You can't verify its destruction, but you know it doesn't exist today. The only reason why we think it existed is because we believe the sources that mention it. We can't conclusively prove C, although we know A was that it was destroyed. Based on A we can isolate a few possibilities of B, but we can never repeat C in order to prove any of them. But if you don't believe the evidence, it will never be able to exist for you. That's how history works.

The biggest problem is that people expect evidence from the Bible to appear "different" than any other evidence presented out of history. The only repeatable evidence is in the kind of life you lead - experiential evidence is the only evidence you would believe anyway. Based on that you can judge whether the authors of the Bible were frauds or not. Otherwise you just assume they were liars.

JDawg,

MacM,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with that, but I don't think anyone is in any position to say that no god exists. Saying that one doesn't is just as bad as saying one does, because neither argument is backed with evidence.

I agree. But I also give extraordinary odds in favor of "No God".

quote:

This is very interesting, MacM. I know the books are for private use, but is there any way you could post some passages from them? I've never heard about any of this.

ANS: Be glad to post some passages. It may take me a day or two to dig out the books since I have moved and it isn't currently on the book shelves.

And another question would be, does the text actually say that Jesus "misused" the powers? Was there a lesson to be learned from it, or did the texts simply tell the story of the abuse without apologizing for it?

ANS: No. That was my interpretation. It merely tells the stories.

genius.

Stephen Hawking calls it the anthropic principle in The universe in a nutshell. We can only understand things greater than us by bringing it into a perspective we can already grasp. That is why allegory and parables are so useful.

OK, I can see that in a typical sense, but we're talking about God here. I can't see how God would describe things to these people in a way that would just become cloudy and confusing to the people of our time. A god, as he is described in your religious texts, would know of the confusion that would follow, wouldn't he?

Well, it definitely wasn't scientific observation

Obviously, because the descriptions are wrong.

Just like we don't know where the Aztecs got their accurate astrological information.

The difference is that the Aztecs information is accurate.

You have to ask the question: what was Genesis meant to convey? It certainly wasn't going to gain credibility by making something up that couldn't be confirmed

You're almost there, Jenyar. By making up something that could not be confirmed, what you're doing is creating a loophole; you're creating an alleged reality to which there is no alternative. "God didn't create the world!" "Oh? So I suppose you have it on authority as to just how the world was created?" You see the lack of an argument there was back then? Today, we can see right through it because we know how things work and how they are formed; the people back then didn't.

Yet it is far more conservative theologically speaking than other creation accounts, where gods were fighting mythical creatures and created only amidst great odds and controversy.

The Sumerian account is simply that our God's father created the universe. Simple. That does not make it any more true.

It isn't exclusively either, but literal as far as its importance and God's involvement was concerned, while also loaded with figurative possibilities - i.e: meaning.

Yeah, it's "Loaded" alright...But seriously, I need to know exactly what is figurative about it. And what about God's involvment was literal?

Compare the Egyptian creation with Genesis. There are similarities, but the differences are enlightening:

The differences are that Genesis attributes the creation of everything to a singular god; while the Egyptian account gives god status to many of the so-called "creations" themselves.

The similarity is this: Both had a great interest in the skies, but neither had a great understanding of them. Neither tells us what exactly a star is, nor do they tell us what exactly the purpose of one would be. They both falsely attribute the moon as a "Light" when in fact it simply reflects the light from the sun. It's the dodging of questions, and the wrong answers to the questions that stand out to me.

In a certain sense, of course it can be seen as "propaganda" for the God of the Israelites

There you have it!

Compared to other religions it is "factual", but it doesn't try to explain itself.

Other members of this forum might rip you apart for calling Genesis "Factual," but luckily for you, I understand what you mean! :)

Literally, it says God really created the universe as we know it in six days - but immediately we are made aware that the time and "days" would have been just arbitrary abstractions unless God ordered them as He did

But with that information--the information of what exactly a day is--how can you then question if the amount of time it took to create the universe? You just said it: "God ordered them as He did," so how is there any question? It has been laid out for you in plain english...(or Arabic...)...God created day and night, and then he said "It took six days." You have to realize that if he made a day, then set the Earth in rotation around the sun to be an indicator of the length of days, then you have to realize he said "Six Days" for a reason. If for no other reason than for you to know just...how...long...it...took!

(Disclaimer: I don't believe in any of this, but in order to speak with a theist, one must argue within a theists' realm! :D )

What is day and night really, but what we call the separation between light and darkness?

So then there is no reason for it? Or importance?

Exactly because fact itself is morally ambiguous. I don't ignore the evidence of anything - my point is that the Bible pays only a passing homeage to "facts". They are dead entities, they make no difference to your life either way but in their interpretation and application

Let me set you straight on this, Jenyar...when you discover a fact, you know one thing more than you did a minute ago. You have learned, and are inspired to learn more. Facts beget education and enlightenment. At the same time, they are the product of education, because you don't know something is a fact until you have proven it as such. So it matters very much in our lives. If we did not know facts, we would not know, quite simply. And that is the downfall of religion, that the suposed "facts" are all already laid out for you. There is no reason to question, nor any reason to search for answers. That equals ignorance.

I am frequently accused of being overly "emotional" when emotion is irrelevant in the discussion. But people forget that I am not proposing an alternative to science,

We all know that. And we know that because science--being the study of the material world--knows what you claim to be truth is no alternative. It isn't true, doesn't exist, doesn't happen. Simple.

You constantly talk as if science is this great entity, like it's some sort of being that is rival to your god. But it's not. It's simply the means of searching, gathering, and identifying truths.

It proposes a way of looking at and doing things that fits our existence in a creation that God intended. It fosters an outlook on life that will remain true, valid and relevant no matter how our own perspectives change. An outlook that includes God in the whole spectrum of human experience - not just the empirical one

You are exactly right. But none of that means it is a true account. What it means is that it takes the fact that YES, we are here; YES, we are intelligent; YES, we do wonder and are curious; and it fits those facts into this...for lack of a better word, fantasy...that we were created rather than formed via natural process. And that our lives have more romantic, storybook meanings other than what our true, natural meaning really is. See, without this book, and others like it, Man's outlook on life might have been quite different. Maybe we would accept murder as a means of revenge under the right circumstances...and we DO, really, for the most part. It's just the laws set which are based on the "holy" laws which do not tolerate those things. Maybe we would accept theft, if it was from the rich who suppressed the poor with thier great political power...and we DO, for the most part! But again, the laws, based on the "holy" laws, do not.

Consider this whole debate we are having about whether Genesis is literal or not. Your position (and correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but this is how I understand it) is that the credibility of the Bible is compromised by its apparent inability to justify its alleged supernatural source (and therefore authority) by including miraculous facts, that can only now be confirmed.

Yes, you're right. But, there are no "miraculous facts" in the Bible. And none have been confirmed.

If the Bible said for example "in the beginning God created a solar year, and the universe was created over 45 billion of these 'years' " once this could be confirmed, you would believe the rest of the Bible.

If you could show me that that exact passage was written exactly when it was purported to be, and man had no way of knowing such things back then, then yes, I would be more inclined to believe the book.

If facts were so important, why would God emphasize relationships and other unscientific approaches towards life?

Here's the logic behind my disbelief: The reason the Bible stays away from universal facts is simply because the authors did not know them. Any god who seriously was trying to get his people to believe him and realize that he existed and his power was real and greater than anything they had ever seen would certainly show something more. Tell the people what is going on, and what exactly everything is around them. Leave a mark that is relevant and believable to everyone who will every read the texts. Leave a simple fact that is unkowable but strikes a chord of interest and excitement in the hearts of men for millions of years. Do something to prove yourself.

But the god in this Bible does none of that. Sure, in his stories, he does some incredible things, but nothing that withstands the test of time. Nothing that could be seen, heard, smelled or tasted by men today. He speaks no incredible facts, or gives such incredible insight that only a god could have spoken the words.

Simply put, relationships and other "unscientific" aspects of life are much easier to tackle. Giving specific functions and origins of things is not...it was impossible for man back then. And how funny...no facts or functions or origins are written.

And if the earth's orbit had changed within the period of creation, how accurate would Genesis still be? Wouldn't the chronological "inaccuracy" before or after such a change compromise the message?

So you mean that God had his words written, then something about his creation experienced an unforseen change? According to the attributes of your god, and the attributes of creation itself, such a thing is impossible. God would have forseen the change in the orbit, and either A) made sure the orbit didn't change, or B) made sure we knew exactly the difference between an ancient day and a modern day.

But I know that Genesis is the least of your objections. No amount of "factual" information will get you to believe in the God who could create facts. In the end such information would still be relative to us, who are only indirectly relative God.

Genesis is one of my greatest objections, actually. It's the most transparent of the Bible passages.

And how dare you say that no amount of evidence could make me believe in your god? Truth is, there IS NO EVIDENCE. You have levied none, so how are you to say that none could sway me?

If this god could create facts, as you say he can, why does he not know of them? He states none in the Bible...

I hope atheroy read this as well. You admit that what is "natural" is limited to how much you can explain - or at least you think it is true for primitive cultures, as we ourselves undoubtedly were long ago.

Wrong. What you know as natural is limited to what you know.

Therefore they would necessarily conclude that anything they cannot explain is "supernatural".

Wrong again! Supernatural is:

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.

2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.

3. Of or relating to a deity.

4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
5. Of or relating to the miraculous.

6. Not of the material world.

So, suffice to say, just because we can't explain something, doesn't make it supernatural.

What you describe is empirically observed nature - which is as factual as we can get, yet we have to theorize quarks and dark matter and Planck lengths because it isn't powerful enough to even describe what we see. How much less what we don't see.

But now you're likening your god to a quark! How quickly a theist forgets that we're dealing with the most powerful entity in or outside of the unvierse! This god that you claim to be "like a quark" in it's invisibility was VERY visible in the Bible. He created man, walked and spoke with them, sent messangers in the form of angels, warned against evil in the form of deamons, and sent a living, breathing son to die for the sins of humanity. This god is very unlike a quark in the sense that he is supposed to be the almighty, the one who created everything. He should be very visible, at least in the sense that we all KNOW he exists. And yet...we don't.

People don't have to attribute these things to God, you know. The paradigm comes first, then the explanation. In a superstitious culture, these things would be called ghosts or omens, in a more scientific culture, they would be phenomena begging for study, in a spiritualistic culture, they could be gods or signs from gods. They are just different ways of approaching the unknown.

Exactly, which is why the Bible is not the only version of what God is. Which is why some religions include many gods, and some include only one. This is proof against the stories of your Bible, or any religious text for that matter. If your god is as he is proclaimed to be in the Bible, everyone would know it.

The Israelites didn't deify the "pillar of fire" that lead them through the desert, did they, although I'm sure it was as unexplainable to them as it would be to us. They already had a God. And studying or explaining it naturalistically would not change that fact or the fact that it was "leading" them.

Right now, you're trying to use a biblical story to prove your point, and that is BS. A pillar of fire? How do you know that story isn't just a complete and total fabrication?

Are you beginning to see what Genesis managed to achieve? Nothing in its creation could replace the God of creation.

Exactly. For an uninformed person or people, your religion is a fool-proof trap. There is no way around it, simply because they did not have the information available to refute it.

That is why there is a saying that "science is a graveyard for dead religions and superstitions". But would a UFO replace the God of the Bible? How long did the creation of the same universe take on a planet that had 64 hour days? My guess is: six literal days.

I'm sorry, but I really can't decipher what you're saying here.

You would love to see the evidence, but you don't believe the evidence. You say you would love to know the truth, but would you believe the truth?

There is no evidence, first of all. Secondly, YES I WOULD BELIEVE THE TRUTH.

Science can be an opium: it creates an artificial space within which everything makes sense, where everything is explained. It gradually expands its borders, and that creates the hope that eventually everything will be explained - indeed, that everything is ultimately explainable.

It's not an opium; an opium would be theism. And you're wrong about the artificial space, because as far as we know, everything can be explained, eventually. If it is material--which is observable--then we can explain it, eventually. That is just enlightenment, man. You live, you learn, and the cycle continues. It's the perk to being an intelligent species, becuase not only do you procreate, but you get to discover and experience the thrill of it.

But it is still a bubble, similar to the bubble you think I'm in.

Wrong. The bubble you live in is one that prevents you from searching and failing, from thinking for yourself and falling on your face, from making decisions and living with the real consequences. You notice how all the punishments in the Bible for one's misgivings are in ways which can be explained away as natural phenomina? Everything has a consequence, but most rewards and consequences are in the afterlife, so they cannot be proven? Notice that?

Everything is laid out before you with religion. There is no learning or searching or questioning or alternative. People in the Bible were condemned by God himself for asking questions that posed an alternative to HIM. How is that for a bubble?

Although my experience is that living things behave differently than facts. They are just as unpredictable, inconsistent, controversial, emotional, irrational, unreasonable, imaginative, stupid, and contradictory as they are otherwise.

You have to elaborate, because I'd LOVE to hear of one living thing that behaves differently than the facts say it does.

why myth, imagination and art should not be able to describe truth as validly and accurately as equations and samples. It's a scary thought, but we have no reason to expect reality to behave as we'd like it to.

Because myth is the twisting and expanding of a basic truth. Jesus is a good example of this, most likely. Art is an interpretation of what might or might not be truth, and is always describing the feelings of the artist because of the events, rather than the events themselves. And imagination is the combination of many things, factual and non-factual. Hence, none of that can be valid in the description of truth, because the only way to know what the truth is is to have the truth itself described to us.

Depends on what truth you are illustrating. Will the second example portray accurately to your son how you fell in love with your wife? Will it create the expectation that he can expect the same kind of love, or will he wonder for the rest of his life whether his feromones will always send the right message to your brain? Will he live in fear of the day that his father's brain suddenly stops being incited towards love for him? But if you truly believed what you said in the first example, being called a "miraculous gift" would certainly leave no room for your son to doubt that he is more than the result of mating brought on by a sequence of events that are no more significant in your eyes than a pair of spiders doing the same thing.

Again with the emotinalism! Jenyar, the fact is our purpose is to procreate and spread our seed, advance our species. The way to achive this is through attraction and love, but those are simply reactions to chemical interactions in the brain. There is no other truth it be explained; it simply is what it is.

And by the way...your fear of reality is sad.

Now which of our examples above illustrates "the truth" more accurately?

The second one, because that's what ACTUALLY happened.

I can only tell you that science is a long way off from finding God, but that isn't a valid reason for not believing in Him. He exist as a living reality, not as a fossil of superstition.

If science is a long way off, then you cannot possibly know of him. You are material, and henceforth cannot interact or observe any other realm. Therefore, you cannot know God.

The biggest problem is that people expect evidence from the Bible to appear "different" than any other evidence presented out of history. The only repeatable evidence is in the kind of life you lead - experiential evidence is the only evidence you would believe anyway. Based on that you can judge whether the authors of the Bible were frauds or not. Otherwise you just assume they were liars.

See, that's the problem. The god described in that book does not ever make himself as known to us as he did to them. He never comes down and says "Hey, what's up?" to us like he did to them. He is a very apparent god to those people, yet he is not to us today.

And again, there is no real solid proof in that book of your god's validity. He never drops on us "You will discover this thing called nuclear energy." Nor does he ever tell us what the moon really is. So you're left to judge the character of the authors, which is something none of us can honestly do, and that of course means the Bible is a puzzle we cannot solve as of yet.

JD

JD,

Excellent responses.

You constantly talk as if science is this great entity, like it's some sort of being that is rival to your god. But it's not. It's simply the means of searching, gathering, and identifying truths.

AND: The fact is that science does rival God and that is why theist tend to reject science.

Further the claim of creation in 6 days is falsifiable today by knowing, as we now do, that the universe is not only expanding but has an accelerating expansion.

That is to say the creation is still taking place, so any God creating it has taken 15 Billion years or so and isn't done yet.

Hence the Bible is clearly a fake document or a document clearly containing fake claims and we must assume from that if the claim of devine inspiration were fact that their God is a deliberate liar.

genius.

Back