Texas mother kills children for God

A ram in your thicket

I just want to point something out for the sake of the discussion; I've mentioned Isaac; Jenyar's discussed Abraham with Vienna. The thing is that if we examine Genesis 22.1-18, we see a precedent for killing one's children.

Now ... I am familiar with the theological argument otherwise. That's all well and fine.

But this woman's crazy.
When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. Then Abraham put forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven, and said, "Abraham, Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I." He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me." (Genesis 22.9-12, RSV°)
We cannot say that Abraham "fooled" God, pulled the wool over His almighty three eyes.°

Rather, God knew that if He did not intervene, Abraham would indeed slay Isaac on His say-so.

I'm most familiar with a parallel drawn between this story and the "sacrifice" of God's Only Begotten Son. But if this doesn't click, due to mental illness? If a person--in this case, a mother--feels unredeemable by the standard processes?

I just feel we need to have this one on the table in crystal-clear terms: Without God's intervention, Abraham would have slain his own Son.

Digression:

• For a most interesting perspective on this story, and to see what children are taught, I ran across a PDF download of a Bible study guide: http://www.calvarychapel.com/children/site/pdf/Old/Curr020.pdf
Fill in the blank (p. 5)

... 8. "But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' And He said, 'Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for I know that you __________ __________, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." (Genesis 22.11-12)

Crossword (p. 7)

... 6 Down. "But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here I am.' And He said, 'Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for I know that you __________ God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me." (Genesis 22.11-12)
Something about fear goes here. Something about fearing God so greatly that you would kill your own child.

I've heard the classic commentaries, and they don't suffice. What else can our Sciforums Christians tell us about this story that would enlighten the skeptical, and even accusing perspective?

Notes:

° The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version - See http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html
° His almighty three eyes - See The Simpsons, #DABF08.

Last edited:
I'm most familiar with a parallel drawn between this story and the "sacrifice" of God's Only Begotten Son. But if this doesn't click, due to mental illness? If a person--in this case, a mother--feels unredeemable by the standard processes?
Then she shouldn't be doing anything that supposedly comes from God, because the moral of the story is that redemption comes from God.

I just feel we need to have this one on the table in crystal-clear terms: Without God's intervention, Abraham would have slain his own Son.
Maybe it will make it even more clear if I point out it's application: without God's intervention, so would we. Not out of faith, which leads to rescue and redemption, but because of lack of faith. It's the lack of faith that leads to death. I've already pointed out that this women's interpretation of signs and omens was nothing less than superstition, i.e. lack of faith. People are raising their children without knowledge of the crucial (no need to excuse the pun) message of redeeming love; without faith in God - in fact they are actively discouraging it. That's putting faith in the knife rather than God - what, other than the Word of God, will stop an arm that sincerely believes it's doing the right thing? Any other authority, whether it's a law, your own reasoning or conviction, would have gone through with it, as mind-boggling as it sounds. Because that's exactly what the world is doing.

Last edited:
What God told Abraham before he went to sacrifice his son:
"See, by my Word I will put a Law over the heads of your descendants - a double-edged sword - which you must take up only if you are faithful, because only by faith can it be laid down again. For it is both the means of their death and their redemption. It will reveal the power of my judgment and the extent of my mercy; perfect submission to it means laying down your life, and by the same Word I will show the world this great truth: I will provide, and you will take it up again."

Last edited:
People are raising their children without knowledge of the crucial (no need to excuse the pun) message of redeeming love; without faith in God - in fact they are actively discouraging it. That's putting faith in the knife rather than God
I'm cutting this one oddly ... just because. What strikes me, I hope, is simple to express.

• I agree that without a message of love, they are putting the knife in, and the difference of God-related metaphors aside, it's purely a matter of faith. I intend to raise my daughter to respect other people, daresay love them as she loves herself. And here I won't bother with the digression of What if one doesn't love oneself? until we really need to, and I don't think it's vital to this particular portion of the discussion. But who are we to say we're right about that? P.J. O'Rourke once expressed, and here I'm paraphrasing, that some parents might find it best to toilet train their children by simply letting them run around without a diaper and shit all over everything, thus preparing them for a successful career in business. (The original quote involved a successful career as a talk-show host.) It may be true that by teaching my daughter social compassion I'm handicapping her future performance in the "real world."
- what, other than the Word of God, will stop an arm that sincerely believes it's doing the right thing?
Depends, I think, on how broadly we intend to define God. Obviously, limiting the "Word of God" to the Bible would constitute a cultural arrogance, as other cultures speak against murder.

I could digress here about the symbolism of the cinematic first scenes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. And mutter some about how "murder" entered humanity at some point; the recognition of deliberate will in killing. I could spend a few words on the unnatural conditions under which rats will murder seemingly arbitrarily. And I could spend an awful lot of words tying in primate studies in which they did all sorts of "vaguely cruel" things to chimpanzees, like herd them into the space of a freight elevator; they do the same thing humans do--draw up close to themselves and stay quiet. And in doing so, I could try to paint an impressionistic literary picture of the notion that murder is so unnatural that something else has to be wrong first. It is not sarcasm that moves me to discuss what I could do but won't, but rather recognition that people are bitching about the length of my posts, an acknowledgment that I'm not up to it, and also a hope to allude to the factors that come to mind in response to the issue of what other than the Word of God.

There is a metaphysical point at which I would agree with you that only the Word of God stops people from murder, but I sincerely doubt that we would agree on what God is or what constitutes Its Word. (Nor should that be construed to nitpick the Bible specifically.)

But I'm one of those that combines fear, greed, and sympathy (the latter two being complex forms of the simple former) and can have enough reasons not to kill someone unless I absolutely have to in order to preserve my life.

(For instance, one of the reasons I'm a pacifist is that I've seen myself fight before. Someone's going to get killed the way I go about it. That's just not a good thing for anyone. Period.)
Any other authority, whether it's a law, your own reasoning or conviction, would have gone through with it, as mind-boggling as it sounds. Because that's exactly what the world is doing
Well, not exactly, else the gutters would be thickly red. But I get your drift. I think you're being a little esoteric, and while I generally appreciate that--especially in Christianity, as my prejudices beg--what becomes the practical effect of that belief?

Truly, by Christian standards, we are all sinners, for the last can't wait to be first, and the first certainly don't want to be last.

My lucky strike in the world is the odd fact that I've managed to keep myself worth very little in the labor market. My partner is worth more, so I get the "good job." But one of the reasons I had quit my job--the primary reason, in fact--was that I was sick of being a paid fraud. Sure, it might have been the callous inefficiency of the company--I'm on my way out the door in the end and now I find that my entire backlog and nearly half of my current stuff is supposed to be going through another office, another desk, another person? Maybe we would have gotten along better if I'd been told seven months before, when I took the position. But by the time it came to that, my walking out the door had nothing to do with the callous inefficiency, and everything to do with the idea that in addition to breaking state and federal laws routinely, in addition to lying on a daily basis, and in addition to not being allowed by law or company policy to beat the holy living shit out of the moron who single-handedly shattered a staff that worked reasonably well together and thereby sank the department into a ridiculous mire ... you wake up in the morning and you lie to people.

That's no way to live.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the folks who have God lording over them. I'm convinced it's why a number of my friends are godless.

But will I, in the end, let my daughter starve on such a point of honor? No. Of course if I decide to whore myself for money, I'll just do it for real. I mean, think about this ... I ... that's right, me, Tiassa, won't sell drugs to pull it off. (Which is apparently a point of contention 'twixt my partner and me, but you just don't make a whole lot of money dealing pot, definitely not enough for the people and behavior you have to put up with, and certainly not enough to justify the risks of what happens if the Law finds out; and I'll literally get down and suck people off for twenties on the streetcorner before I deal coke or speed or smack.)

(Just to give closure to the consideration, going to work later this year in order to afford child care and my partner's substance habits, thereby creating a situation we did not wish to create, with both of us working, is quickly becoming the preferable--read "less-damaging"--option.)

However ... what of those folks who have God lording over them? Even they adapt. Most of them better than I.

When it's just my sanity, I'll stand purely on abstract principle if I so desire. But how the hell could I justify that in court?
What God told Abraham before he went to sacrifice his son:
There is a point at which I wouldn't argue against that.

But frankly, humanity's not smart enough right now to figure that out.

And that's where it gets difficult. With Christianity, I could easily go Jerusalem-megalomaniac and burn myself out in well under three years. But through nobody's fault but my own, there are other people I would end up dragging down with me into the hope of eternal life.

. . . . perfect submission to it means laying down your life
And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. (Matthew 19.29, RSV)
Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life." (Mark 10.29, RSV)
And he said to them, "Truly, I say to you, there is no man who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive manifold more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life." (Luke 18.29-30)

Now, I'm not going to give you the usual crap you can get from a two-penny skeptic. Rather, I think it's a great idyll, but ... you're kidding me. Compared to practical demand?!

Life is. It's a little like raising productive citizens from the outset: You must teach a child to read and do basic math before you can teach a young adult to read a technical manual and perform complex calculations.

I said before that I don't think humanity is smart enough to figure out something that seems rather apparent in its own way to you or I. Part of the problem seems to be reacquainting humanity with the ideas underlying the literary manifestation--e.g. The Bible. Right now it could be reasonably argued that to carry out such a mission, from my position, with my chosen obligations, could cause cruelty.

To reach into an obscure comparison: There is an odd stigma that comes with rape. The dramatic way to phrase it is the idea of a young woman apologizing that she wasn't a virgin for your first time together. That kind of pressure is ... ridiculous. She doesn't need to live with it. But it is values within the culture around the rape survivor which can highlight those ideas and aggravate their station in one's conscience.

Likewise, if my daughter becomes the human being I would hope, she would certainly have a grounding in the values that would justify a life of service which requires such a dedication that focuses away from the family. But I can't guarantee that. And without those values in place, such a devotion can constitute a cruelty to those who give up a certain portion of their expected experiences--e.g. my daughter.

What are my responsibilities to my child? To educate her? Certainly. To socialize, civilize, standardize, or otherwise cause her conformity to common standards? A much more difficult question. She would certainly be statistically deviant to be accustomed to the forfeiture of family bonds in the name of greater humanity, God, or whatever flag I wave at that time.

And I have the luxury of going about it under the impression that I have no worries about heaven and hell; these are human issues to me, for this world. God can judge me or evaporate into nonexistence. There are more immediate concerns. I'm not answering to God in the same way Christians do.

In an effort to bring this around, I would hope to at least suggest, if not demonstrate reasonably:

(1) These questions aren't exactly simple--much less if you happen to be psychologically unsettled.
(2) The standards of faith present realistic challenges in meeting unrealistic expectations; this burden can itself become a neurosis, or even a psychosis.

There are no easy answers. And while it is worth reiterating here that insane or not, Deanna Laney acted within certain parameters that happened to be determined by religious faith.

One of the big challenges for me is answering directly Jan's issue about the tie between religion and the crime. Ten years ago I actually would have taken pleasure in raising the heavy-metal suicides as an argumentative issue: if something so inconsequential can be alleged to have such dire effects, what of something so vital as to tread on the soul, on the essence of the living experience? And somewhere in there does the obscure connection lie.

For me, Christianity is largely extraneous horsepucky. The whole of what it "should be," as I've mentioned somewhere around this board recently, is summed up in two passages from Matthew (Chs. 5 & 25).

So I do think that Christians have certain obligations to examine their faith. In my early days at Exosci/Sciforums, I was much more adamant about this, but Christians have been having less and less of a substantial effect on my life, and have undertaken a macabre public drama ranging from televangelistic abuse of Islam, lesbians, and freethinkers to God telling George Bush to bomb Iraq. It's not the ballot box; the climate has changed--the teeth of the Christian political mechanism can still gnash, but they've lost the sharp points. I am fortunate enough to live in a time when one of the world's most significant influences becomes archaic and falls into retreat; it's a fascinating process. (And if the US goes down the crapper, then I get two palaces breaking down; more than most in human history have witnessed. What an odd time to be alive!)

But if, in reassessing those obligations, I can connect them to Deanna Laney's illness, then I will finally have justified this topic to my own satisfaction.

The Bible, Revised Standard Version: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html

(1) These questions aren't exactly simple--much less if you happen to be psychologically unsettled.
(2) The standards of faith present realistic challenges in meeting unrealistic expectations; this burden can itself become a neurosis, or even a psychosis.
I can hardly provide a satisfactory response... you certainly have the gift of making an Odyssey out of every post. And in that respect I can presume to sympathize with your view: life is. In the end the large and small questions all fuse into that mind-boggling simple assertion. But while you cannot see a way to fit the Christian faith into that statement (maybe it's irreparably irreconcilable with certain lifestyle choices you have already arranged into permanent fixtures), I can see no other way. The rest of the sentence "life is..." vaguely represents what I bundle under "faith". (And the phrase "the righteous will live by faith" only just ocurred to me.)

You want practical application. Fair enough. At least admit that if God exists you'll be answering to Him whether you like it or not. Although admitting His existence isn't quite as repugnant as you make it out to be. It would entail admitting defeat of the resolve you've built up until now (and God knows that Christians contributed their part in your aversion), but it wouldn't put a "lordship" over your life that isn't already there. The "burden" of faith is a light one, and I think your character would survive the temptation to become neurotic about it. Much in the same way you have to resist become neurotic about your daughter's upbringing (which I imagine can be a challenge). Somehow "live and let live" doesn't quite apply to one's children, does it? - it feels too much like neglect. Well, you're neglecting your faith - and I'm bright enough to be able to see you still have the core of it, perhaps the parts that survived such an onslaught as you've endured. But take my word for it, if you have survived so did your faith.

You're already obedient to love, as you understand it. Your obligation to your daughter is the same as towards God. Neglect amounts to cruelty, not love. Love demands action, concern, application. It demands the devotion only a father can give. The core of that devotion, tiassa, is life. And that life - your life - is the core of faith (where else would "good works" fit in?)

Tying the religion to the crime might complete your world-picture, but it's the last piece of a picture you've painted yourself. That missing link will look the same in every culture, society and person you come across. It's what the Bible calls sin. In a society where the separation between sin and death is only academic, it's easy not to believe in heaven and hell. But think for a moment that before Christ there was no distinction either - death was the judgment. The world might not be smart enough, but's it's alive enough to understand.

Last edited:
Tying the religion to the crime might complete your world-picture, but it's the last piece of a picture you've painted yourself.
This is an occasion of my grand theory of Original Sin, and how greatly it has ******** human society.

It's hardly the last picture. If you would think that I could "complete" my world-picture, you haven't been paying attention to my posts. Interesting, how you've sought a negative interpretation that is quite simple yet inconsistent with my general outlook.

It's an opportunity to understand a little more about the human condition. To me, these religions aren't "Truth" insofar as the Bible, such as the present case has it, does not contain a literally-expressed, simple truth. It's myth, allegory, reflections on culture and history. But no, I don't believe that God reached down in any one of these holy books and revealed any perfect truths.

And to me, there is an irrevocable connection between the choices we make--to believe in this, that, or the other--and the consequences we find at the end of that road. In the end, I would expect any detailed examination of the relationship between faith, religion, or "Christianity" and action to come full circle--the vague distance some of us, and specific distance others tried to put between the one and the other is a common breakwater against a certain argumentative tide pulled to and fro by ignorance and apathy.

But ... as an analogy: My brother was a Republican for years. It was part of his initial identity politic that may have been chosen for the wrong reasons. In the end, his friends kept attributing to him ideas he did not hold; he finally looked closely at the GOP and decided that it was true that he did not hold with them. But in the years between 1980 and 1992 especially, he believed. He picked the side that was going to win, the side that I had not chosen. That's how he ended up on the "winning side" for twelve years, not through any sense of his innate genius. When he finally put that genius to work on the issue, certain things became quickly apparent to him. Of course he never told us what they were. He just started disavowing prior opinions when the discussions came up during election season or whatnot.

The point being is that I know--or, in other words, have faith--that we're correct, at the outset, that there is a clear separation between the religion and the acts of the faithful, but there is also a conceptual connection. If we drag ourselves honestly through the mill, it should be no problem to make such a simple point clear to the people seeking any excuse to bash religion and/or Christianity. Er ... at least it doesn't seem it should be a problem.

So that in the end we can know something and know why, instead of simply insist that we're right because it feels better that way.
The world might not be smart enough, but's it's alive enough to understand.
Alive enough to understand? Or to bite the hand that feeds it in response to irrational fear?

Or, as many of our parents reminded us of snakes, &c. - It is more afraid of you than you are of it.

(And that's when the serpent bites.)

My apologies for the oversimplification. It was unwarranted. I was responding to what I perceived as your oversimplification of the causal connection between religion and violence. It seemed an odd statement coming from you.
And to me, there is an irrevocable connection between the choices we make--to believe in this, that, or the other--and the consequences we find at the end of that road. In the end, I would expect any detailed examination of the relationship between faith, religion, or "Christianity" and action to come full circle--the vague distance some of us, and specific distance others tried to put between the one and the other is a common breakwater against a certain argumentative tide pulled to and fro by ignorance and apathy.
I agree, but we expect to come to different conclusions. There's a parable on such a causal fallacy that also comments on the real connection between sin and death. You probably know it:
4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them -- do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'
" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "
(Luke 13)​
cf. Matthew 7:19-20 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

You recognize the fruit - you're even able to attribute it to the original sin. But I'm still not sure why you think the connection should be between religion and violence. Maybe religion just brings the hypocrisy to the fore, as it was supposed to do. Speaking for myself: since I started publically testifying to my faith and its precepts, I've had to do a lot of introspection about whether I practice what I preach. It lead me to a similar conclusion as it led Paul in Romans 7, and I'm pretty certain it will lead anybody willing to honestly "drag themselves through the mill" to the same conclusion. The struggle isn't between the fear and freedom, it's between our desire to follow the serpent and our desire to follow God. Perfect love casts out all fear.

So that in the end we can know something and know why, instead of simply insist that we're right because it feels better that way.
So true... but as Morpheus would say: there's a difference knowing the path and walking it. We're never justified to insist we're right, but we're completely justified to walking the right path.

You said "It may be true that by teaching my daughter social compassion I'm handicapping her future performance in the "real world." Social compassion hardly sets you up for the high life in a competitive world of surivival of the fittest. But it's "right". We're back at Romans 7, and the connection Jesus made: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33, cf. 12:25). By raising your daughter to be loving, compassionate, fair, unselfish, you are teaching her to bite the hand that feeds her without fear. You're telling her that a moral life is better than a successful one. You're teaching her Matt.5, and by doing so you are confirming Christ's message.

The way many people approach religion - especially Christianity - just creates this void in me that I want to fill: "Alright, then I'll be the Christian". I already know what the problem is, and I know fixing it doesn't come by being right, but by doing right. However foolish the world might think I am.

Back