Superstition entitles people to "special rights"?

Back on topic, using religion to cop out of requirements others have to follow is a hideous abuse, especially in a country that specifies 'separation of church and state'.

I'd say that allowing christians to cop out was actually unconstitutional.

This and that

Lepustimidus said:

Since apparently you missed it, I quote what I said in an earlier post:
"An individual can't choose to change their beliefs, believing is an automatic process that depends on both external (social and environmental) and internal (genetic) stimuli.

That proposition is straight out of the back end of a bull.

No. What atheists are indicative of is that people's beliefs can change over time. Try again.

It would appear that you are proposing that people have no choice in their changing beliefs.

Are Christians genetically predisposed against logic? Such a condition would seem to reinforce the notion that religion is, in and of itself, a mental illness. Excusing Republicans because they just can't help themselves is untenable.

Strawman. I think you need to work on your literary comprehension. Perhaps if you spent less time writing cack, and more time actually reading your adversary's posts, you might actually post something of relevance.

Perhaps if you had the intelligence and courage to actually stand up for your ludicrous assertions, you would also be smart enough to propose smarter hypotheses.

Here, I'll even give you a hint: The level at which genetics affects a person's belief is rather quite obscure. It is even more subtle than the difference between the classic left- and right-brain profiles. If one's genetics prevent them from accepting or dealing with logical conclusions, this is generally considered a disorder. Under what conditions should it not?

Furthermore, to apply your proposition to the situation at hand, it would include the notion that genetics play a role in convincing someone to accept an untrue proposition regardless of the logic. Consider a couple of statements from earlier in this topic:

• "It is theologically difficult to justify the assertion that a digital photograph is somehow the mark of the beast." (Tiassa, topic post)

• "I am a little unclear as to how a digital photograph of yourself for DMV purposes of record keeping correlates with the 'mark of the beast.'" (Nonsense, #3)​

As I noted (#18), we cannot expect anyone involved with this West Virginia group to connect the dots. Let us consider, theoretically, the origin of the bizarre theological argument: At some point, someone somewhere had to decide that they believed a biblical argument that is not found in the Bible.

I also mentioned (#34) the counterpoint of microchips in the wrist that could act as identification, credit card, &c. This at least has the theological justification that one of the places we might find the Mark of the Beast is on the wrist (Rev. 13.16). The proposition of an archived digital photograph as the Mark of the Beast has no such justification.

Social conditioning, the other factor you mentioned, is the primary agent for enforcing beliefs, especially those that are baseless. So what we have is a proposition that someone "mistakenly" inserted into the belief set. Even if we foolishly pretend that this "mistake" was, in fact, entirely innocent, what of those who believed it without ever bothering to check? This outcome, too, is a product of social conditioning. The level at which genetics affects such outcomes is so fundamental that it justifies sociopaths and pedophiles, thus making society's efforts against their acts arrogant and arbitrary. And, while, indeed, society's outlook on sociopathy and pedophilia demand fundamental reconsideration, it is still a tremendous and foolhardy leap to such libertarianism as to justify such acts and their effects.

Your "strawman" dodge dodges what I have already noted. The facts of many of our atheists at Sciforums, my father's transformation, and even my own evolution through myth—there are at least as many examples as there are people on the Earth today—present a prima facie argument that people do, indeed, choose their beliefs. Your cheap attempt to duck the obligations of your ridiculous argument ("An individual can't choose to change their beliefs") requires at the very least better definition, but such as it is right now also demands some assertion of evidence.

Until you can manage that, sir, it would be best to take your attitude problem and cram it.

• • •​

Asguard said:

nither of us are suggesting that genetics are involved, though to an exstent they probably are.

I beg to disagree with the first part of that. Please refer to Lepus' repeated assertion quoted at the outset of this post.

Of the second, I have no doubt. Genetics affects, at some level, everything about a person. The question is one of function or application. As an example, one might choose to attend a counselor (who can have almost any degree, although 'round here many of them are MSWs). One might also choose to attend a psychologist (PhD or PsyD). Whatever troubles the individual, however, might also require a psychiatrist (MD), and in dire cases demand the inclusion of a neurologist (MD). I would propose that the effect of genetics on our beliefs would enter the process most clearly at the level of the neurologist, who might be called upon to repair a congenital disorder of brain structure, although I am given to understand that these are, compared the breadth of a neurologist's practice, considerably rare.

The problem I have with Lepus' assertion of genetic influence is that the genetic effect manifests at such a level that belief would be among a broad set of symptoms, and, all things considered, of low priority.

I have witnessed in the last couple years a brain incapable of certain logical functions, driven by obscure and arbitrary beliefs. This was not genetic, but rather an effect of brain damage acquired courtesy of a windshield and brick wall. Perhaps a psychologist or psychiatrist could unravel the workings of his mind and find a way to communicate certain points and issues, but the dysfunction was, truly a dysfunction (as opposed to a mere deviance from the statistical norm).

Thus, I am of the inclination that at the point any genetic influence on belief manifests itself so strongly that belief is automatic and one is incapable of choosing to change their beliefs, we are dealing with a dysfunction. This proposition is, in concept at least, fairly easy to overcome through argument: simply disarm the prima facie argument that people are routinely observed to adjust, update, or otherwise change their beliefs, by presenting a similarly observable argument that they are incapable of doing so.

Even traumatic social conditioning will be the more applicable explanation for such inflexibility, which rigidity I understand to be statistically marginal.

• • •​

Phlogistician said:

Back on topic, using religion to cop out of requirements others have to follow is a hideous abuse, especially in a country that specifies 'separation of church and state'.

I'd say that allowing christians to cop out was actually unconstitutional

It seems important to me to consider the theological justification. If there is a legitimate theological consideration, we have a mess on our hands insofar as we must finally decide how much we should hold society back in order to accommodate myths and faery tales. This is an argument that we in the States have—not always skillfully—avoided engaging.

But in this case, the theological argument is excrement. It's a pathetic excuse, a brittle straw to grasp at.

So, yes, accommodating these paranoiacs is, indeed, a demonstration of religious favoritism. Of course, since some form of Christianity is the prevailing outlook in the United States, we cannot expect Constitutional enforcement.

In simplistic terms, it is something akin to peer pressure: nobody wants to be the one to say, "No".

Last edited:
I am a little unclear as to how a digital photograph of yourself for DMV purposes of record keeping correlates with the "mark of the beast."

Could it be that a digital photo is comprised of a mathematical code although in pixels, such as any computer code or file, like 1’s and 0’s and maybe they feel this is part of the number of the beast in its infancy?? Just a thought …….

Tiassa:
That proposition is straight out of the back end of a bull.

How is it any less valid than your baseless assertion that people choose their beliefs?

The rest of your post is crap. Please, back up your claim that people can choose their beliefs in a concise and relevant manner, without your usual string of insults and irrelevancies.

Drunk on your own whine?

Lepustimidus said:

How is it any less valid than your baseless assertion that people choose their beliefs?

While the empirical is not infallible, I would hardly think that what you can witness with your own eyes, hear with your own ears, is so insubstantial.

[sup]2[/sup]prima facie

1 : true, valid, or sufficient at first impression : apparent <the theory…gives a prima facie solution — R. J. Butler>
2 : self-evident

(Merriam-Webster)

• • •​

Prima facie is a Latin expression meaning "on its first appearance", or "by first instance". It is used in modern legal English to signify that on first examination, a matter appears to be self-evident from the facts ....

.... In most legal proceedings, one of the parties has the burden of proof, which requires that party to present prima facie evidence of all facts essential to its case. If that party fails to present prima facie evidence on any required element of its case, its claim may be dismissed without any response by the opposing party.

(Wikipedia)

The word you have chosen—baseless—is unsuitable for the occasion.

As I have explained and repeated, and as you have refused to address seriously, people have every appearance of choice in their beliefs. You have not only failed to explain how they do not have any say in their beliefs, but have fled the question, choosing instead to respond with bitter insults.

I have invited you to make various explanations of your perspective, and you have refused. Thus, to reiterate:

The facts of many of our atheists at Sciforums, my father's transformation, and even my own evolution through myth—there are at least as many examples as there are people on the Earth today—present a prima facie argument that people do, indeed, choose their beliefs.​

If you have an argument to make that is any more substantial than adversarial bitterness, please do us the courtesy of presenting it.

In the meantime—

The rest of your post is crap. Please, back up your claim that people can choose their beliefs in a concise and relevant manner, without your usual string of insults and irrelevancies.

—give it a rest. If a reasonable and coherent argument is beyond your capabilities, so be it. To the other, though, if you wish to be taken at all seriously, it would behoove you to demonstrate that you are capable of conducting yourself in a manner worthy of that regard.

Notes:

"prima facie." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Viewed August 12, 2008. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prima facie

"Prima facie". Wikipedia. Updated August 1, 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_facie

So you refuse to provide valid evidence to support your assertion that people choose their beliefs, Tiassa? Very well, we are done here. One cannot wring blood from a stone, I guess.

So you refuse to provide valid evidence to support your assertion that people choose their beliefs, Tiassa? Very well, we are done here. One cannot wring blood from a stone, I guess.

It's so obvious to anyone rational Tiassa need not back up that claim.

As people would not independantly arrive at modern Christianity unless they chose to believe what they are told about it, Tiassa's point is proven.

People leave one religion, sometimes adopt another. People convert to get married. These are all choices.

phlogistician not nessaraly. Take something slightly different, who we chose to marry. Where did your preference for the kind of person you like come from?

yes but if the whole world was ONLY populated by people like your first husband then the chances are you would prefer someone like your first husband. Its all about social interactions.

Haven't you just stacked the deck by making everyone identical?

I learned what kind of guy to like from trial and error

orleander of course i staked the deck, i removed the enviromental variable. The point im trying to make is that things arnt as symple as people like to make out. I had to admit i used to think they were, my cousin was in a very abusive relationship to the point her parents took her son to get him out of there and i blamed her for it. I thought that she CHOSE to remain with guys like that.

im not so sure any more, between 2 of the subjects im currently doing im not so sure anymore that any of us have much choice in any of our actions or even our own belifes. I mean if we look statisically at people who are likly to go to uni as an example, even with defered HECS so that there are few direct expences (only really materials and texts) the distribution is squed WAY towards the higher socioeconomic groups. This is about more than just raw tallent because if you test children in primary school there is little difference in raw tallents. It has to do with the judgements of family, friends ect about the value of uni and a whole heep of other things which put pressure downwards to keep them out of further education even though the goverment WANTS these people in uni's.

My health psycology lecture actually wants the psych removed from biopsychoscocial because she doesnt belive anything comes from our minds, everything either comes from our biology or our social enviroment. Im not sure i compleatly agree but its really hard to argue against thats for sure

phlogistician not nessaraly. Take something slightly different, who we chose to marry. Where did your preference for the kind of person you like come from?

Crappy argument. I don't have a preference. I have dated a variety of girls, before settling down. I experimented. Some people settle with the first person they hook up with, 'love at first sight' though eh?

It's all about choices, and compatability.

Don't try and tell me people don't have a choice to believe in religions. OK, some are indoctrinated, some fearful of being rejected by their community if they reject the prevailing religion, but deep down, they must all know it's horse shit, and they choose to go along with it for self serving reasons.

Not to put too fine a point on it

Asguard, I believe you have presented an excellent example wherein we might consider the magnitudes of diverse influences. To begin with the basic proposition, and from there work through the points subsequently developed:

Asguard said:

Take something slightly different, who we chose to marry. Where did your preference for the kind of person you like come from?

There are, after all, genetic influences in who we choose to marry. We might start with the proposition of the homosexual: Is this behavior genetically preordained? The answer is a qualified "no". Is this behavior pure choice? The answer, again, is a qualified no.

To the first, we might argue—and with certain wisdom—that genetics will inevitably affect one's sexual expressions. True, there is no "gay gene", but as with different disorders of the mind, there is, at some obscure level, a genetic influence.

But there is also circumstance, and in this case, I do not refer to the circumstances of social conditioning. We might consider the phenomenon of the XY female; that is, genetically, it would seem a person is male, but for reasons persuasively but not entirely comprehended by science, develops as a female.

One of the suspect points in the transformation of an XY human occurs in utero. The default—if you will—condition of a growing embryo and fetus is as female. On certain occasions during gestation, the organism is visited by hormonal combinations which initiate, facilitate, and complete the transformation from the default into the male creature. The strongest theories of XY females hold that some deviation or lack about the hormonal inundations stunts the divergence; the person is born and develops as a female, despite the basic XY genetic combination.

While we have not any final conclusion before us, the preponderance of evidence suggests—ever more clearly as time passes and new research draws new conclusions—that combinations of genetics and circumstance create notable effects on sexuality. Indeed, we might counterpoint by invoking a relatively mild form of eugenics: homosexuality, insofar as one sees the need for a "cure", might well be addressed by reducing motherhood to artificial regulation. If we might artificially guarantee the occurrence of certain circumstances, such as hormonal conditions in utero, and the timing and magnitude thereof, it seems theoretically possible to breed naught but heterosexuals. We should not be surprised to witness the advent of such technology and the accompaniment bioethical debates within our lifetimes.

Thus, we might consider an inborn disposition toward sexual expression, but that alone is insufficient for our purposes. Indeed, unshaped influences remain mere hints, whispered suggestions, to be regarded as one sees fit. But how does one determine the fitness of outcomes? Certainly, we might look to social conditioning. Many have chosen the heterosexual inclinations of their social conditioning only to find it unbearable, and thus turn their backs on marriages, introducing all manner of confusion among people, in order to find greater comfort and, we might hope, better efficiency in life and society.

But how does this pertain to the selection of mates? In this question, we approach the more vital considerations your example invokes.

... if the whole world was ONLY populated by people like your first husband then the chances are you would prefer someone like your first husband. Its all about social interactions.

You have struck precisely at the heart of the matter. Perhaps genetics might in some obscure fashion incline someone toward a mate of similar proportion and appearance. While, for instance, neither you nor I might find anything objectionable about the mixing of skin pigments in mate selection, and while we might find fault with those who stubbornly object to those who would partake of such mixing, is there really any fault to be found in the simple fact of two pale-skinned mates, or two dark-skinned mates? Certainly not; objections come later, when such resolutions are justified by spurious excuses for logic.

Likewise, it is entirely possible that one prefers a mate who is more or less physically fit. In some cases, people are known to prefer various degrees of plumpness or rotundity. This might entirely be related to aesthetics and social conditioning, but we have no proper means to exclude entirely the possibility of genetic disposition. Nor can we claim definitively that there is not something about circumstances in utero that seemingly influence one's desire regarding the gender of one's mate that also affects the preferred aesthetics.

Nonetheless, there are among the billions of human beings, many examples of diverse aesthetics. If, for instance, a woman prefers the roundish teddy-bear over the muscular warrior or elfish lean, how does she go about selecting among the bears? Circumstance bears much influence: What selection is available to consider in the local environment? Indeed, it was in my day statistically rare that young lovers should extend their search beyond their school, and while my own school drew from a large area, I cannot recall anyone who attended in Tacoma, Washington, seeking out in those days a mate from Boise, Idaho.

Still, though, within a city even of Tacoma's size, there might be plenty of available teddy-bears to choose from. Why this, and not the next? Perhaps it has to do with prior experience; maybe it has to do with expectation. But both prior experiences and expectations of the future are deeply influenced by social conditioning.

In the end, choice itself is derived from these sorts of factors, and to some this may seem no choice at all, but rather an inevitable end determined by yet another valence of circumstance. Nonetheless, I dislike predestination in theology, so why should I presume it in science until such time as diverse disciplines agree to present the argument? Indeed, it is possible that, from the Big Bang, everything that occurs is mathematically predetermined. Yet, so broadly applied, that determinism does not intrude on our function; we must still make choices, although if, in fact, we choose to not decide at all, and thus sit around waiting for the next sign from God or Universe until such time as we are all dead and the species extinct, that, too, would be right for having been determined in advance. As we can read these signs and suggestions with comparatively better clarity than observing the stars for omens—lest, of course, that omen be the sudden detonation of our nearest star, for instance—it seems to me that until such time as we might identify and calculate all the factors that pertain to our universally predetermined reality, we ought to continue to behave in such a manner as presumes a generally free will.

Or, to be simpler, we might say that to point to the influence of genetics, circumstance, and social conditioning in order to establish the notion of choice as a fallacy is useless until such time as we understand enough to make it useful.

If some still require an even simpler summary, it is this: If you decide to not go to work tomorrow, or to not attend classes, that may well be predetermined from the moment of the Big Bang, or even before. But this fact would be insufficient to demand sympathy from bosses or professors, and that lack of sympathy, too, would be predetermined. Thus, one should not be surprised, nor protest the injustice of, being fired from one's job or failing the midterm exam. Certainly, one might lament, and that, too, would be predetermined, but in the end it all adds up the same.

Thus, what compels the choice of our fictitious example? How should she choose among her preferred mates? Aesthetics might incline her toward a hairy chest and back, or a bald man with a mustache. Indeed, the circumstances of social conditioning might well incline her toward a man who asserts his machismo as opposed to a more reserved character more harmoniously associated with what we commonly refer to as "his feminine side".

And still, there are choices aplenty in a place like Tacoma. Should we pretend that the choice is, in fact, out of her hands, that the outcome was writ before the question conceived?

Certainly, we might, but it is no way to live. As it seems we agree, there comes a nexus of circumstance at which one makes what we call a choice. By the time we have accounted for the influence of circumstance—including social conditioning—what degree of influence should we assert on behalf of genetics? I would propose that this influence is relatively small.

Which leads to your consideration of health psychology:

My health psycology lecture actually wants the psych removed from biopsychoscocial because she doesnt belive anything comes from our minds, everything either comes from our biology or our social enviroment. Im not sure i compleatly agree but its really hard to argue against thats for sure

I would suggest that the solution lies somewhere in between two absolutes, albeit closer to the argument against the removal of psych from the biopsychosocial. Even if, as I have long theorized, the brain is not a generative organ but, rather, a filter, what comes from our minds is the result of this filtration. Genetics might analogously be compared to a blank circuitboard, which provides diverse paths for the flow and regulation of information. Circumstance provides the software that determines how these paths and gates are used, how the information flows and is regulated. Still, though, as the user—e.g., the self—controls to some degree the input of data, it is this data that determines the produce of the mind. In other words, the user, by putting in data, compels the program—e.g. the mind—to put out certain results. Among these results are recognitions and realizations, abstract ideas, and, if we might overlook some others for the sake of brevity, also our choices.

Thus, if we look at a problem from a biosocial perspective, we will, eventually, encounter the psychological. And in this, I would propose a possible answer for the question of removing the psychological aspect from biopsychosocial considerations.

Also, and perhaps more directly, in considering the matter of how choices are determined, we might turn back to our neighbor's proposal regarding the automation of belief and respond that, at such a point that the automation might occur, the proposition is so broad as to have no relevant functional value. That is, only by immersing the concept of choice in an obfuscating solution of generality such that the word no longer has any useful meaning can we agree that people do not choose their beliefs.

We might consider the testimony of our friend Phlogistician

Phlogistician said:

I have dated a variety of girls, before settling down. I experimented. Some people settle with the first person they hook up with, 'love at first sight' though eh?

It's all about choices, and compatability.

—which, by the variety of potential mates experimented with, suggests the breadth of any possible genetic inclination. Certainly, there are some kinds and forms of people who did not make the list, but it is perhaps more significant to note that various attributes—which we may infer in some cases to be disparate or even opposing—did, in fact, receive sincere consideration.

Likewise, in turning back to choosing beliefs in general, we might consider that, while some may be, by genetics—e.g. brain structure, such as the nature and function of the alleged "God module"—in such a manner that some are more inclined to accept, analyze, and even believe in myth as reality, there is a staggering diversity of religious models and assertions to consider.

I would thus propose that, while some have greater need of religious belief than others, and while this need may be subject to certain degrees of genetic influence, the outcome pertaining to which religious myth one believes, and the nature of its specifics, is subject to various considerations that—as the prima facie argument suggests—despite social conditioning is subject to the immediate influence of an individual's will.

Not to put too fine a point on it, of course.

My thanks, of course, to both of you for providing such an excellent circumstance to consider.

i agree with you, i will add one thing. what if there was no christanity to chose? Now this is just a thought experment because we cant take a child we know will become strongly christan, reset the universe and alter it so the child grows up never having been exposed to christianity.

The same with an athiast, if we took them as a child and dumped them in a world where EVERY influance they get is from theology then its doubtful they would ever grow up refuting the existance of a god.

One last thought which just struck me right then, i wonder if its the diversity of beliefs which caused athisium. Ie if we had everyone in the world beliving in only one singular religion then its possable athisium would never florish because there would be no reason for our extelligence (the social) to question god.

Asguard,—which, by the variety of potential mates experimented with, suggests the breadth of any possible genetic inclination.

Indeed, from a 5'2 redhead, to a 6' goth, to my life partner, a 5'8" blonde, all with different interests and personalities too.

Whether I have a slight disposition towards a type? Maybe, and maybe some people have a predisposition to need religion, but I would venture, apart from the obvious choice of the prevailing religion in their area, and repression to believe in such, people are free to choose their religion, in the same way we are free to choose our partners, in a free society.

The only limiting factor is of course, a prevailing, intolerant religious climate stifling interest in competing religions. However, if equal consideration were given to all religions, people would be free to choose. I guess anyone who disagrees with this position cannot imagine life outside of their religious programming. Shows what a good indoctrination they received!

Back