Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I have no idea what will happen

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
Study into near-death experiences
Doctors at 25 UK and US hospitals will study 1,500 survivors to see if people with no heartbeat or brain activity can have "out of body" experiences. Some people report seeing a tunnel or bright light, others recall looking down from the ceiling at medical staff. The study, due to take three years and co-ordinated by Southampton University, will include placing on shelves images that could only be seen from above.

This is a mystery that we can now subject to scientific study. To test this, the researchers have set up special shelving in resuscitation areas. The shelves hold pictures - but they're visible only from the ceiling. Dr Sam Parnia, who is heading the study, said: "If you can demonstrate that consciousness continues after the brain switches off, it allows for the possibility that the consciousness is a separate entity.

Who wants to bet no one sees any of the pictures?

Michael

It'll be interesting to see if they apply strict controls to this test - or if there will be any leaking of information regarding what the pictures are.

I can imagine there might be some financial rewards (selling your story, for example) for being the first person to correctly name the pictures etc.

Furthermore, will the pictures be beyond guesswork?

"Ooh, I saw a dog."
"And a tree?"
"A house?"

"This is a mystery that we can now subject to scientific study" - hmmm - I'm not convinced from the article above on the standard of science that can be achieved, but look forward to the details of the experiment when published.

How would that prove anything, if you are looking down at yourself you probably aren't focusing much on the scenery around your own body. I have a near death experience and I saw a dark tunnel, of course it might have just been my eyes closing. I was only four.

Paint a number on their forehead, they're far more likely to notice that.

When I died for over 3 minutes I never saw anything but blackness. I don't believe anyone had any type of experience other than what I did EXCEPT those who want to make money or get recognized for their own glorified reasons. :mad:

I died for almost two hours once...then the credits rolled, and I realized "Norbit" the movie was finally over.

I'm glad this is being done but this 1 experiment won't convince many. Evidently some "know" now what the results will be.
If there's nothing to this, it probably won't ever be proved negative. If there is something to it, I wouldn't guess how many hundreds (trillions?) of experiments it would take for it to be accepted by everyone.

Out of body experiences can be caused by strong magnetic fields near the brain. Whether anyone sees anything, that is not pure hallucination, is a different question.

Out of body experiences can be caused by strong magnetic fields near the brain. Whether anyone sees anything, that is not pure hallucination, is a different question.
Rotflmao, and your evidence for this is where, lol.

I don't think NDE's are hallucinations, simply for a few accounts; for instance, the man who was dead for three days. Not to mention instances where people are able to account for what was going on during their death, which means they can't be hallucinations.

I don't think NDE's are hallucinations, simply for a few accounts; for instance, the man who was dead for three days. Not to mention instances where people are able to account for what was going on during their death, which means they can't be hallucinations.

Who says their brain doesn't make it up as soon as they come around?

it's a experiment. I stay objective and voted that I have no ID, altough I see no scientific reason how it should be possible. Mind you I'm planning my own little experiment in that area but that day can wait a looong time

Who says their brain doesn't make it up as soon as they come around?

I highly, highly, highly doubt this. Remember, NDE's have occured throughout history to all sorts of different people of different cultures and different religions (as well as to atheists) and I doubt each and every one of them was what you describe.

They wouldnt be doing these experiments if there was no evidence to be confirmed already documented.

http://near-death.com/evidence.html
That web-site is full of flaws and very poor interpretation of the findings thus far. Their arguments and claims are... unscientific (e.g. "Experiencers are convinced the NDE is an afterlife experience." as an argument for the validity of the claim; and "The burden of proof has shifted to the skeptics of the survival theory.")

Part of me is not sure whether it is a joke site or whether they are being genuinely stupid...

Most of what they are saying certainly helps support the fact that something occurs - but that is not in dispute - whereas what actually occurs is very much in dispute - and there they have real trouble.

That site is, to put it bluntly, laughably ignorant.

Data like this is based purely on experience so it isn't really scientific because it can't be observed by another party. You just to take someone else's word for it. This experiment is really just seeing how well people's stories match up.

Data like this is based purely on experience so it isn't really scientific because it can't be observed by another party. You just to take someone else's word for it. This experiment is really just seeing how well people's stories match up.

Not really. Remember, in this experiment there is actually a way to test whether or not NDE experiencers leave their bodies by testing the accuracy of their recall. It's a fair experiment.

Back