Sparks of the same fire

Ptah-hotep wasn't a king. He was the vizier of King Izezi of the 5th Dynasty at around 2450 BCE.

Edit:

It should have been obvious to me from the start, but discussing with someone such as Yorda about religiosity and the reasons for commonalities among the world's major religions is a pointless endeavor. To someone so apparently affected by obsessive-compulsive desire to believe in whatever thought enters his/her head, and attributes these thoughts with narcissistic ferver and self-aggrandization to "god speaking to him," the tested hypotheses and logical reasoning of others is wasted.

It would be far more interesting to discuss Yorda and those like her/him who not only believe religious texts without reading them, but pick and choose the validity of scientific results depending upon whether such results support or invalidate the grandiose/obsessive-compulsive behaviors.

I hypothesize that this is a result of the self-aggrandizing notions, which suggest to those afflicted with this hypothetical (perhaps real) disorder that personal beliefs are right and that the beliefs or knowlege of others is flawed unless it is supportive of contrived beliefs of the disordered person.

In the case of Yorda, what we see is a set of personal beliefs: 1) god exists; 2) god created all; 3) god speaks to those that are able to listen; 4) Yorda is able to listen, therefore god speaks to her/him; 5) the validity of the bible is questionable unless it conforms to Yorda's beliefs because these beliefs were are the "spoken word of god" and biblical passages that do not fit this "spoken word" are incorrect (i.e. the Hebrew word "nephilim," which means "fallen" to all those who are Hebrew [OED, 2005], but means "giant" in Yorda's "spoken word")

The obsessive-compulsive behavior might not be to some, but I would argue that this is present in Yorda's adherence to his beliefs (religion?) in spite of logical arguements that discredit the fallacious nature of them. But the self-aggrandizing behavior is most obvious with the various comments that indicate god speaks to him (and thus "through" him, though he doesn't say this); he has no use for eduction (he's above this sort of trivial passtime of lesser humans); etc.

Last edited:
Well, I must commend Skinwalker on his wonderful and polite summary of Yorda. Personally I'd just state he's a fucking lunatic and done with it :D

Back