So what next, theists and atheists and agnostics?

I agree with the original poster that most people who pretend to believe in a god do not really feel convinced. It is like some great game that people pretend to be a part of due to social pressures. Only the truly crazy really believe the nonsense 100%.

I like Joseph Smith's argument for polygamy as an example. There was a debate between himself and an anti-polygamist. Joseph Smith asked the man if it was okay for a man to re-marry when his wife dies. The man said, "Absolutely". Joseph then pointed out that when this man and his new wife pass away, he will find himself in heaven with more than one wife, and possibly children with multiple wives. He then reminded the man that Heaven was a perfect place, and if polygamy was good enough for heaven, it was good enough for Earth.

Here you have the reasoning of someone who truly believes his own hogwash. (Joseph was a known con-man, but perhaps he really did start believing his lies). The point is that the other man obviously doesn't believe in an afterlife, or he would KNOW in his heart-of-hearts that he should only marry once. That this life is short and ephemeral compared to the eternity that awaits. When you don't really believe, it is easy to never think these things through.

Another great example is the fact that the more religious people are, the more afraid of death they seem to be. If you REALLY believed, funerals would be a celebration, not a mourning. And religious people would not be the ones keeping vegetables on life-support. These contradictions scream to me the fact that not many people believe the nonsense they pretend to believe. Even my preacher admitted to me, when I was young, that he didn't believe in god, but still thought his job was worthwhile. I know for a fact that my own father and mother only give lip-service to religion, and my wife finally is able to admit that she is an atheist after many years of pretending due to peer pressure.

"The truths contained in religious doctrines are after all so distorted and systematically disguised, that the mass of humanity can not recognize them as truth." Sigmund Freud

At it's best religion speaks of truths in symbolic themes; the problems begin when people insist that the themes are to be adhered to literally. The act of creation becomes a person/god rather than the convergence of energies and forces.

"The truths contained in religious doctrines are after all so distorted and systematically disguised, that the mass of humanity can not recognize them as truth." Sigmund Freud

At it's best religion speaks of truths in symbolic themes; the problems begin when people insist that the themes are to be adhered to literally. The act of creation becomes a person/god rather than the convergence of energies and forces.
When one talks of energies one's knowledge is deemed complete when one can determine teh source of energies.

In otherwords scriptures that determine god to have a personal form also tend to indicate that he is not a mundane person - if you insist on judging god's personality by using your own as a yardstick its understandable why you would come a few inches short of omnipotent ...... after all, we tend to be infintesmal

I agree with the original poster that most people who pretend to believe in a god do not really feel convinced. It is like some great game that people pretend to be a part of due to social pressures.

Another great example is the fact that the more religious people are, the more afraid of death they seem to be. If you REALLY believed, funerals would be a celebration, not a mourning. And religious people would not be the ones keeping vegetables on life-support. These contradictions scream to me the fact that not many people believe the nonsense they pretend to believe. .

If this is true (which I believe it is) does this not make these people atheists?

Can you have a christian atheist? ...... I would say yes.

If this is true (which I believe it is) does this not make these people atheists?

Can you have a christian atheist? ...... I would say yes.

I would have to agree. Especially since the designation of "Christian" is very loosely applied. It seems to denote a person that adheres to certain customs, and isn't a measure of faith on some ill-defined scale. People talk about very small children being "Christian", even though the baby or child has no concept of a deity yet. For that matter, all newborns in Christian families are Christian Atheists, aren't they?

As for your first point, I think you are probably correct here as well. Just as most atheists walk around pretending to be theists (or at least hiding their lack of belief due to peer pressure), I think most "theists" are the same way, but hide their lack of belief even from themselves. Mostly by not even thinking the consequences of their beliefs all the way through.

Some examples of how weird Christian beliefs are when you don't examine them closely (off the top of my head, so don't expect the best examples or anything all-encompassing):

1. If Mary was a virgin, then Jesus was not of the line of David, fulfilling OT prophecy. Most people have it both ways because I think they don't really believe that Mary was a virgin. They kinda accept the story, but feel that Joseph must have rogered her, otherwise Jesus couldn't be the foretold one.

2. If Jesus' purpose was to be sacrificed for all of our sins, then the Jews didn't do anything wrong by having him killed, they were fulfilling the prophecy. They gave Jesus his purpose. Likewise for the hatred of Judas. I think most people pretend that this was Jesus' purpose, but deep down, they see that Jesus did not want to die in this fashion, and the celebration of the crucifixion is a way of coming to grips with how the Lord could have met such an ignoble and gruesome end.

3. The multiple wives point of Joseph Smith which I've already discussed. Classic and hilarious in a way.

4. The fact that most Christians live hypocritical lives. They do things in private that they wouldn't do if they really thought God was looking.

5. The bizarre fear of death that religious-seeming people have.

Love to hear more, or refutations of my mistakes.

Back