Snyder v. Phelps Presented to Supreme Court

You don't think any of this qualifies?
Probably not. Fighting words have to be directed at specific people; simply shouting random hateful stuff at a crowed doesn't count. Anything on the website isn't fighting words, since fighting words have to be spoken in person, directly to the "target" person. Published statements in print, on the internet, etc. don't count.

Since these people are world-class attention whores, I'm guessing they pay very close attention to exactly what does and does not constitute fighting words, and are careful to stay on the right side of the line.

Probably not. Fighting words have to be directed at specific people; simply shouting random hateful stuff at a crowed doesn't count.

The words in question are not random - they are literally going to funerals and telling the mourners that God killed their loved one because America doesn't hate fags as much as He does.

Anything on the website isn't fighting words, since fighting words have to be spoken in person, directly to the "target" person. Published statements in print, on the internet, etc. don't count.

Not at issue. The issue is in-person protests at military funerals. There is typically no other audience that they are addressing besides the family and friends of the deceased. They are directing the speech in question at specific (captive!) individuals.

Since these people are world-class attention whores, I'm guessing they pay very close attention to exactly what does and does not constitute fighting words, and are careful to stay on the right side of the line.

That would be prudent, but it's not clear to me that there is some settled, clear line as it applies to what they're doing. They're intentionally pushing the boundaries in order to get attention, and there's a real possibility that the result will be the demarcation of a bright, clear line with them on the wrong side.

Again, the privacy angle is probably the salient one, but I'm not seeing any clear reason to think that they're safe from fighting words.

This truly is just about a 50/50 situation. The way current laws and rulings have held, there's pretty much equal agreement/justification for both sides of the fence.

So from my own personal perspective (not to mention the *entire* country!), the decision they reach is going to be very interesting indeed.

Most of them are also lawyers. ;)

I can't say if these people have breached any laws, but I feel very strongly about free speech. Very strongly.
Free speech is THE foundation of a truly free society. If you have the freedom to vote, but not to say openly what you believe, then your right to vote really means nothing.

On the other hand, we already have free speech zones..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zones
Free speech zones (also known as First Amendment Zones, Free speech cages, and Protest zones) are areas set aside in public places for political activists to exercise their right of free speech in the United States. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law... abridging... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The existence of free speech zones is based on U.S. court decisions stipulating that the government may regulate the time, place, and manner—but not content—of expression.

Free speech zones have been used at a variety of political gatherings. The stated purpose of free speech zones is to protect the safety of those attending the political gathering, or for the safety of the protesters themselves. Critics, however, suggest that such zones are "Orwellian",[1][2] and that authorities use them in a heavy-handed manner to censor protesters by putting them literally out of sight of the mass media, hence the public, as well as visiting dignitaries. Though authorities generally deny specifically targeting protesters, on a number of occasions, these denials have been contradicted by subsequent court testimony. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed, with various degrees of success and failure, a number of lawsuits on the issue.

They make me uncomfortable.

The only good alternative in my opinion is getting some kind of parade or assembly permit for a certain perimeter around a funeral, that includes blockades in key areas. I remember when I was a little kid, the block got a permit to cordon off the section of street and basically hosted a picnic in the street. That would at least keep vehicles from parking in the vicinity. Don't know about prohibiting pedestrians.

I would guess that it's all up to local laws. I would like some kind of protection for grieving families not to be harassed in their faces by a bunch of malcontents during a funeral service. Don't know how that could proceed.

Offensive or not, we all have an equal right to play music in pubic or in our own private residences.

Fuck those haters for always calling the cops anytime I have my headphones down my pants. :mad:

All good questions. I'd absolutely support the right of any group to march or protest on public streets, but I don't consider a funeral to be a public event.

A funeral is a very personal, often tragic event attended by emotionally fragile people who (in the case of military funerals) have already given more to our country than most. To ask that they be forced to endure the taunts and insults of a bunch of bigots at such a time is too much.

I'm frankly amazed that none of these protesters have been attacked by grieving families. I can't imagine how I'd react to such an incitement at the funeral of a loved one.
Dear lord we agree on something..

Lets face it, I am as left as can be and I am usually a non-violent person. But there is something about the Phelp's family that makes me want to actually wring their scrawny little necks, throw them down to the ground and then stomp on their heads. For several reasons..

For scraping under free speech laws to make themselves a public and private nuisance at not just the funerals of soldiers, but also at funerals of homosexuals and even at courthouses where those who have murdered homosexuals are being tried.

For forcing their children to stand at their so called protests wearing t-shirts and holding up signs with messages that are hateful and disrespectful in the extreme.

And for his daughter's smug and smarmy smile on her face as she revelled in the publicity that this case has caused as she gloats in the group's right to be public nuisances..

Free speech is protected. But is hate speech protected? Is being a public nuisance protected? Is forcing children to stand on the god damn street holding those signs up, protected? You can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater. Free speech protection does not extend that far. But apparently you can stand on the street and hold up signs and scream out messages about 'killing fags' and soldiers, inciting hatred and hoping for the deaths of others, and all outside funerals. How that can be protected is beyond me.

The words in question are not random - they are literally going to funerals and telling the mourners that God killed their loved one because America doesn't hate fags as much as He does.
I meant they have to be addressing specific people in the crowd. If you show up at a gay rights gathering and shout "You're all a bunch of fags!" that probably wouldn't qualify as fighting words, because you're sending the insults into the crowd indiscriminately (rather than addressing a specific person). Like I said, it's difficult to know whether or not they were using fighting words without very specific details on what was said and how, but they were probably careful to not say anything that would qualify.
Not at issue. The issue is in-person protests at military funerals. There is typically no other audience that they are addressing besides the family and friends of the deceased. They are directing the speech in question at specific (captive!) individuals.
They're addressing a crowd, not individuals. That's what they would say in court, anyway.

These people are totally nuts, but they have the freedom to express their views in a public place. They do remind me of the Manson family though.

You don't think any of this qualifies?
Westboro Baptist Church pastor and founder Fred Phelps and members of his congregation picketed Matthew’s funeral, holding signs expressing anti-gay, anti-American, and anti-Catholic slogans, including “God hates you” and “You’re going to hell.” Westboro Baptist Church also posted an essay on its Web site entitled “The Burden of Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder.” In the essay, statements indicated that Albert and his wife “raised [Matthew] for the devil,” “RIPPED that body apart and taught Matthew to defy his Creator, to divorce, and to commit adultery,” “taught him how to support the largest pedophile machine in the history of the entire world, the Roman Catholic monstrosity,” and “taught Matthew to be an idolator.”

No, they don't. They are not telling people to come and fight them, they are rather abstract statements of religious "morality".

From what I've read online...I would not be the least bit surprised if the court rules in favor of Snyder. We shall see.

Newswise — “If one thing emerged from oral argument, it is that Phelps is going to lose. The only question is what standard the Court will fix upon.

But is hate speech protected?

Depends on the country. In the USA? Yes, and thankfully so. A government that can define what the Phelps's say as "hate speech" can define other things as hate speech. I'd just prefer to point and laugh at the WBC than empower my--already abusive government--to start meddling in free speech.

Is being a public nuisance protected?

They aren't doing anything greater than "Rolling Thunder" or other annoying rallies. We don't judge the words, only the footprint. What was the WBC's footprint? Not very large. Just words. Spoken and gone.

Is forcing children to stand on the god damn street holding those signs up, protected?

Certainly. Who is the government to tell parents how to raise their kids. What if a gay couple had a kid who held up a sign that read, "All Christians Are Evil Oppressors"? Where do you draw the line? Better to just sigh, allow for the annoying reality that some parents will raise bigoted kids, and accept that it isn't the government's place to start defining the family unit.

You can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater.

They weren't. And that is a mis-matched comparison. Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, where there is no fire, has no clear politically protected motive, but to cause panic. The WBC isn't causing panic. Quite the contrary, they just yell (from a thousand feet away) at people. They say mean things. It truly sucks that they are saying these things at good people who've suffered horrible losses. . . . but it's more important to protect their right to horrible words than to start meddling into who is and who isn't protected based upon the value of what they are saying. One day the government might just consider my beliefs on those who live on welfare to be "hate speech".

Free speech protection does not extend that far.

It does in the USA. Not in Canada. Not in France. Not in the UK. But here it does.

See, I have a problem with this, because that which is dubbed "free speech" and "hate speech" in some countries has an annoying connection to political correctness.

So, when a group flies a "Jesus Sucks" banner around Toronto, Canada, it's consider "free speech" and gets protection, but when another group calls Mohamed a pedophile, their leader gets called before the crown and charged with spreading hate. See, in places like Canada, it's okay to offend the majority, but the minority is protected for fear of appearing un-PC. The US constitution makes no distinctions on the matter.

But apparently you can stand on the street and hold up signs and scream out messages about 'killing fags' and soldiers, inciting hatred and hoping for the deaths of others, and all outside funerals.

It's disgusting. But it is better to have a counter protest (which happens, all the time) and to expose their vitriol to the public and show them for the fowl souls they are.

How that can be protected is beyond me.

All speech--even the bad kind--is protected. This is one of the rare "black and white" issues in US politics. It would take an amendment to alter that fact, but then how would you phrase such an amendment, and who would you trust to enforce it? More importantly, is society so fragile in your eyes that it needs protecting from a church with--like--twenty members. Does that same society need protecting from private Christian and Islamic schools to teach hatred to their kids? Does that society need protecting from other forms of speech which make people feel bad?

~String

Sorting Through the Mess

I have been banging my head against my desk going through the primary briefs: the Brief for Petitioner, Brief for Respondents, and Reply Brief (Petitioner). At first I thought I'd just try to do an objective review, but there is no way to do that in any reasonably concise way; this is a contentious fight consisting of quarrelsome and querulous arguments of fact combined with a ludicrous tangle of precedent. I could be at this until the Court finishes its deliberations without answering all of my own questions about it.

The central themes seem to be whether or not Albert Snyder is a public or private figure, if Westboro's protest assertions (e.g., "God Hates Fags", "God Hates You", &c.) have been or can be disproven, whether funeral attendance constitutes a captive audience, and to what degree the protest disrupted the funeral itself. At one point, the Brief for Respondents even cites About.com and Wikipedia regarding funeral etiquette; make of that whatever you will.

Thus, to return to consider (and, in one instance, reconsider) some issues of the thread:

Madanthonywayne said:

What I wonder is if there are not a number of justices interested in overturning the decision, why did they even bother to take the case? Clearly at least some of them feel there is an issue that needs to be settled here.

Initially, in response to this and another point, I suggested that the Court has a possible out: to remand the case back to the Fourth District with instructions to focus on findings of fact. In this case, the Justices might suggest an improper application of law according to either precedent or context of fact, or that the basic facts must be reviewed again. I consider this the most likely outcome.

Part of the problem is that while certain facts speak in Phelps' favor, other assertions in the Brief for Respondents are somewhat dubious. Among these latter is, primarily, the construal of Snyder as a public figure. Indeed, at one point, the Phelps brief argues that the response to their protest means Mr. Snyder was a public figure before the protest. And whether or not Mr. Snyder was a public figure is a vital component of the Phelps' shield under the First Amendment, as they look to the famous Hustler ruling as precedent.

I'm frankly amazed that none of these protesters have been attacked by grieving families.

According to the Brief for Petitioner, you need not be amazed:

Fred Phelps, Sr., candidly explained that his motive behind protesting military funerals was to seek revenge. According to Phelps, approximately three years before trial, members of the WBC were assaulted by Marines .... In retaliation, WBC members began protesting military funerals and have continually terrorized grieving military families since the alleged assault.

(6)

Even Rev. Phelps himself, according to that Brief, "admitted that grieving family members would be offended" by a sign depicting male homosexual intercourse, and the respondent's own expert admitted that the protest action,

"... interfered with the process that we go through of honoring our soldiers who die for their country and also could have surely interfered with the grieving process and allowing him to be a hero without any tarnish on his casket" .... In other words, the Phelpses' own expert witness conceded that their actions were intentionally targeted at Mr. Snyder and caused him harm.

(ibid)

So we come back to Psycho Bound's consideration of harassment and—

Superstring01 said:

I detest the "slippery slope" argument, but I'm loath to accept any restrictions on offensive speech, no matter how offensive it is on those very grounds. The Phelps clan was not harming anyone. They weren't even calling for violent acts. Just nasty, evil words.

—String's slippery slope point. The problem, as I see it, works like this: If the Westboro protest was simply malicious revenge for an unrelated assault and expected beforehand to be hurtful, then the slippery slope argument falters under scrutiny. Falters, I say, but not necessarily fails. It would seem that Westboro's intention was to cause emotional distress, and if so, the issue of Albert Snyder and his family as public or private figures becomes absolutely vital. And here, we encounter contentious assertions of fact. The Brief for Respondent asserts:

After his son’s death, Petitioner talked to the media about his life, death, and funeral .... Petitioner published an array of details about his son, including the divorce of his parents and the fact he attended the Roman Catholic Church and his funeral was being held at his home parish .... Petitioner also described publicly how upset he was about the war, and told that he contacted the late Congressman John Murtha. Petitioner gave interviews to more than one media immediately after his son’s death, before the funeral. And, immediately after the funeral (being dissatisfied with how the funeral was covered), Petitioner contacted the media to complain, which led to more detailed coverage of his son’s life, death and funeral.

(5)

The Reply Brief scoffs at this representation:

Prior to the Phelpses’ unwanted involvement in Mr. Snyder’s life, Mr. Snyder received minimal media attention. He placed Matthew’s obituary in the newspaper and gave brief quotations over the phone to two local newspapers that printed articles each time a local individual died in combat .... The Phelpses suggest that this alone was sufficient to confer public figure status on Mr. Snyder.

(12)

And it gets even stranger. It is unfortunately a long section over the course of seven pages (46-52) of the Brief for Respondents that the Reply Brief characterizes thus:

... arguing that Favish’s recognition of a family’s privacy right to photographs of deceased soldiers and to “a good memory of the deceased” is inconsistent with the public’s interest in military issues .... The Phelpses’ logic, however, would confer public figure status on every military family who loses a loved one in war and chooses to publish an obituary. This Court’s jurisprudence neither commands nor invites such an absurd result.

(12-13)

Looking back to Madanthonywayne's suggestion that the Court likely has a specific reason for entertaining this case in the first place, it also seems worthwhile to consider SCOTUSblog's Lyle Denniston ("Preview"):

Perhaps this is a case in which the quality of legal advocacy, during oral argument, could make a difference. If one side or the other’s lawyer were to falter, for lack of seasoning at that demanding podium, it might ease the Justices’ decisional choice — but, then again, maybe not.

If the Court sees some degree of malice and harassment, then it could easily come down to who has the best lawyer. I'm still hard-pressed to see how the Justices might come down on Snyder's side outright—the best he can hope for is a remand order to the Fourth—but that's also because I'm not confining my personal consideration strictly to the briefs. That is, there are plenty of lawyers in this country who might be able to nail down the Westboro case, but I'm not sure whether or not they would want to make the argument. I couldn't say whether it's purely an ego trip that has Margie Phelps, the Reverend's daughter, acting as counsel of record for the Respondents.

It could be that the Court sees in the Fourth District's overturning of the trial verdict a dubious contrast between fact and law to the one, and the construction of the Phelps' argument to the other. That is, if the Westboro case was more soundly constructed, the Court might have no reason to consider the Fourth District's ruling.

That, of course, is speculative at this point, but one thing that strikes me is that the Brief for Respondents occasionally reads with a petulance more suited for Sciforums:

A rule of law giving a privacy right at the expense of words, which are not proven as false, because of a subjective claim of outrage, would implicate all of the concerns this Court has raised, as discussed above, about breathing room for free speech. (This is an entirely different scenario than, for instance, dragging a dead body through the streets, as referenced by the Court in Favish. That scenario is a non-speech example of protecting the memory of the deceased.) Attaching liability to words is particularly constitutionally-dangerous where, as here, the impact is to force a dissenting religious group in a little church to show what society deems “respect” for the deceased, when the church does not doctrinally agree. The Amicus Brief for Veterans of Foreign Wars, at p. 2, states as its mission having the entire Nation mourning for dead soldiers. WBC does not desire to join the nation in this public mourning, but should not be penalized for declining when joining the public debate about dying soldiers and their funerals, that is taking place in direct connection with their funerals (by subject matter and by location/platform).

(52-53)

A certain decorum is called for, of course, but I can certainly imagine a judge fighting to suppress the urge to reach down from the bench and slap Margie Phelps for that one. And, of course, it's the sort of argument even Jay Alan Sekulow or Gloria Allred wouldn't make; it takes a special disdain for the very idea of society to shovel that one at any court.

The oral arguments are just brutal. Justice Scalia—and we might nod here to Trooper—invoked "fighting words" in an interesting exchange with Margie Phelps:

MS. PHELPS: Any non-speech activity like stalking, following, importuning, being confrontational, could indeed give rise to a cause of action.

JUSTICE KAGAN: Demonstrations outside the person's home, outside the person's workplace, outside the person's church—demonstrations, not disruptions, but saying these kinds of things: You are a war criminal, you—what—would—whatever these signs say or worse?

MS. PHELPS: My answer, Justice Kagan, is: No, I don't believe that that person should have a cause of action or would under your cases have a cause of action. You couldn't give that cause of action without direct reference to the viewpoint, which is exactly what happened in this case.

JUSTICE SCALIA: My goodness. We did have a doctrine of fighting words, and you acknowledge that if somebody said, you know, things such as that to his face, that wouldn't be protected by the First Amendment.

MS. PHELPS: We agree that fighting words are less protected under the First Amendment.

JUSTICE SCALIA: Unprotected.

MS. PHELPS: I will go with unprotected, Justice Scalia. And if I may add this: Fighting words require imminence, they require proximity, and they require a lack of those words being part of a broader political or social—

JUSTICE SCALIA: Is that so? Do we know that?

MS. PHELPS: I beg your pardon?

JUSTICE SCALIA: Do we know that? Is it the criterion of the fighting words exception to the First Amendment that there be an actual fight? Certainly not that. Is it a requirement that there be a potential for a fight? I doubt it.

Where—where do you get the notion that it has—that there has to be an imminent fight?

MS. PHELPS: I get the notion from the series of cases starting within 7 years after your Chaplinsky case with the Gooding case and on down through the Brandenburg case and on down—

JUSTICE SCALIA: Which say what?

MS. PHELPS: That say that—

JUSTICE SCALIA: The person was too remote? The fight was not—was not imminent?

MS. PHELPS: The—the definition, the working definition of "fighting words," is that they have to be words which by their nature are likely to incite an immediate breach of the peace and not occur in the context of some social, artistic, educational, or political kind of speech.

And if I may hasten to add, Justice Scalia, these Respondents were not charged with fighting words. The jury was not instructed to limit themselves to fighting words. No element of the tort under which liability attached included fighting words.

The words that were at issue in this case were people from a church delivering a religious viewpoint, commenting not only on the broader public issues that the discussion was underway in this nation about dying soldiers, about the morals of the nation—

(27-29)

And the fighting words issue goes on, including Justice Scalia cracking a Quaker joke. But Ms. Phelps is definitely confident; yes, m'lady, you'll go with unprotected because that's apparently what the precedent says. And, indeed, as her discussion with the Court continues, she insists on Mr. Snyder as a public figure, for having "enter[ed] the public discussion" (33) because he "went to the public airways multiple times in the days immediately before and immediately after" the funeral (32). Justice Alito called out the issue of Snyder as a public figure (34), and Ms. Phelps actually stumbled over the course of her answers, attempting to refocus the Court's broader consideration back toward Mr. Snyder himself, to the point that Chief Justice Roberts asserted himself in the exchange.

Without having actually heard the arguments, though—that is, just reading from the transcript—one might presume the wrong tone. While Ms. Phelps did not stammer and hitch the way Mr. Summers did, there comes a point at which Justice Kennedy asserts himself in a fairly dominating manner while questioning her responses to Jutices Kagan and Alito (41-42). And Justice Scalia follows immediately thereafter with a salvo returning to fighting words. None of the justices called her out on the point specifically, but I find an interesting contrast between the idea that the protesters were aware—according to the Brief for Petitioner—that the signs would be offensive to grieving family members and Margie Phelps' assertion that fighting words doctrine doesn't apply.

Justice Breyer, in a long-winded question (45-46), tipped his hand perhaps more than the rest of his fellows:

So what I'm doing is suggesting a number of thoughts of ways of trying to do what I'm trying to accomplish, to allow this tort to exist but not allow the existence of it to interfere with an important public message where that is a reasonable thing to do.

It is actually hard to discern, through the oral arguments, the Justices' sentiments toward the case itself. Lyle Denniston wrote in is preview of the arguments:

For a Court that so recently had refused to create a new exception to the First Amendment’s protection ... the task of crafting a “funeral rights” exception to free speech doctrine may be a forbidding one. But for a Court hearing this case in the midst of war weariness and an expanding fear of decaying morality, the prospect of drawing a First Amendment shield around the Westboro Baptists’ message may also be a daunting one.

But on Wednesday, following oral arguments, he noted:

When the Supreme Court meets in private Friday to discuss Snyder v. Phelps, a profound question will hang over the discussion: Should we—and can we—set aside our emotional reaction? If the answer, implicit or otherwise, is no, the Justices may then proceed to craft a way to write into the First Amendment a “funeral exception” to the right to speak out in public in outrageous and hurtful ways. It was apparent, throughout an hour of oral argument Wednesday, that emotion was more dominant than law, at least among most of the Justices.

("Commentary")

And David Savage, for the Los Angeles Times, suggested that the Justices "sounded as though they are inclined to set a limit to the free-speech rule to permit lawsuits against those who target ordinary citizens with especially personal and hurtful attacks". Garrett Epps, writing for The Atlantic, described the hearing as resembling "a Celebrity Deathmatch between Lionel Hutz of The Simpsons and Ned Racine of Body Heat", and recalled the 1945 World Series between the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs, of which one sportswriter said, "I don't think either one of them can win it". Still, though, he seems to think the Justices will be inclined in some way toward Snyder; perhaps fulfilling Denniston's argument preview, though, Epps would put the weight of that outcome not on the law itself, but on Ms. Phelps:

In Wednesday's high-profile argument in Snyder v. Phelps, two inexperienced pilots sailed into a legal Bermuda Triangle, where the compasses no longer pointed to magnetic North. It's possible that, once it recovers its wits, the Court will put this case in order; but in the courtroom at least, what seemed at 10 a.m. like a sure thing had become by 11 a.m. a head-scratcher ....

.... By the end, the Justices' comments gave the eerie impression that Margie Phelps might have singlehandedly managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of a seemingly all-but-sure victory ....

.... [A] competent second-year law student could have handled it. One would simply concede that Mr. Snyder is a private person. The issue is the kind of speech. The WBC's speech, disagreeable though it might be to the majority, was aimed at issues of American social and military policy. This kind of speech is fully protected by the First Amendment. Nothing in WBC's signs was directed at Matthew or Albert Snyder personally. Church members never approached the funeral or tried to disrupt it with noise; they did not interact with Mr. Snyder, who never even saw the signs until he read news reports; the "epic" was not sent to Mr. Snyder, simply published on the Internet. Under these circumstances, letting a jury assess a multimillion-dollar verdict is plainly permitting punishment for a distasteful message on a question of public importance. The Snyders' pain is the kind of pain free speech requires us to bear.

Thank you. Sit down.

But Margie Phelps spent most of her time arguing that Mr. Snyder is a public figure because he and his family had spoken to the news media about their grief for their dead son and their horror at the war in which he died. All he had to do was keep absolutely quiet. By making any public comment after Matthew's death, they became fair game for WBC. Over and over the Justices suggested, asked, begged her to assume that Mr. Snyder was not a public figure. Please, they seemed to be saying, we're not buying it, give us some other reason to vote for you. Over and over she refused."They step[ped] into a public discussion," she said.

They had it coming.

The unease on the bench was palpable. Perhaps most significantly, Justice Kennedy, the swing vote, asked whether WBC could simply "follow a particular person around, making that person the target of your comments." Phelps's answer was, in essence, I already told you they had it coming.

It may be that Margie Phelps by the hour's end had not kicked away her case. But her argument was so poor that I found myself wondering whether she even wanted to win ....

Certainly if the Court hands down an order to remand or, perhaps unthinkably as of a couple days ago, a victory for Snyder, many will question "the soon-to-be-legendary" (as Epps put it) Margie Phelps. But as the foundation of this case is centered around emotional values, we might pause to consider Epps' observation:

Trial lawyers often really do love their own clients and hate the people on the other side, and often can't shut up about it. Which it is why both sides would have done better to find dispassionate appellate lawyers, who might have saved us from the possibility that a disgusted Court may make a bad decision.

Personally, that point resonates; I still find myself wondering how it is that we might start erecting barriers to free speech according to the simple fact that most find something repugnant. Once upon a time, it was pornography. If the prudes had their way in the 1980s, it would have been music. Reverend Phelps leads a repulsive flock according to diseased ideas. But it is exactly that disgust so many feel toward Westboro Baptist Church that ought to caution against stifling them. As one who has long held unpopular ideas in close stead, I shudder to think what damage such a precedent could do. Freedom itself was once reviled; truth itself has before been locked in dungeons; and faith itself has been pierced by glowing pins.

What a grieving Albert Snyder suffers at the will of cruel arrogance is worthy of denigration, but by the light of truth and not the force of law.

Notes:

Summers, Sean E, et al. "Brief for Petitioner". Snyder v. Phelps. Supreme Court of the United States. (n.d.) ABAnet.org. October 7, 2010. http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/09-10/09-751_Petitioner.pdf

—————. "Reply Brief". Snyder v. Phelps. Supreme Court of the United States. (n.d.) ABAnet.org. October 7, 2010. http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/09-10/09-751_PetitionerReply.pdf

Phelps, Margie J. "Brief for Respondents". Snyder v. Phelps. Supreme Court of the United States. (n.d.) ABAnet.org. October 7, 2010. http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/09-10/09-751_Respondent.pdf

Denniston, Lyle. "Argument preview: Protest vs. privacy". SCOTUSblog. October 4, 2010. SCOTUSblog.com. October 7, 2010. http://www.scotusblog.com/?p=105700

—————. "Commentary: What role for emotion?" SCOTUSblog. October 4, 2010. SCOTUSblog.com. October 7, 2010. http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/10/argument-recap-does-emotion-win/

Supreme Court of the United States. "Oral Arguments". October 6, 2010. SupremeCourt.gov. October 7, 2010. http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/09-751.pdf

Savage, David G. "Justices appear set to limit funeral protests". Los Angeles Times. October 7, 2010. LATimes.com. October 7, 2010. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...6-court-funerals-web-20101006,0,3870903.story

Epps, Garrett. "Westboro Baptist Church's Surreal Day in Court". The Atlantic. October 6, 2010. TheAtlantic.com. October 7, 2010. http://www.theatlantic.com/national...o-baptist-churchs-surreal-day-in-court/64167/

See Also:

SCOTUSblog. "Snyder v. Phelps". (n.d.) SCOTUSblog.com. October 7, 2010. http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/snyder-v-phelps/

Correction:

The post previously incorrectly cited the Reply Brief instead of the Brief for Respondents.

Last edited:
Wow, Tiassa! That was extremely informative. Thank you!

It is going to be very interesting. The first time in history having three women on the bench and the Supreme Court will face some of the most debated issues of our time.

Yeah, there's something to this. I'm inclined to guess that the main issue will come down to privacy, and exactly how that works for military funerals (many of which are on federal lands). But I expect to hear the fighting words angle at least argued.

And I will not be surprised if this leads to changes in legislation to specifically protect military funerals. Some states have already passed related statutes (although they remain controversial) in direct response to the activities of WBC.

I think that you are right on in regards to the issue of privacy.

California has a more stringent prohibition against discrimination under the Unruh Civil Rights Act, but look at this case below.
In one more complicated case, a court held that a cemetery could exclude "punk rockers" from a private funeral service. A mother requested that the funeral service for her 17-year-old daughter be private and that admission to the service be limited to family and invited guests only. The cemetery failed to exclude punk rockers from the service. The punk rockers arrived in unconventional dress, wearing makeup and sporting various hair colors. One was wearing a dress decorated with live rats. Others wore leather and chains, some were twirling baton-like weapons, drinking, and using cocaine. The punk rockers made rude comments to family members and were generally disruptive of the service.

Ironically, the funeral business had attempted to rely on the Unruh Civil Rights Act, claiming that if they had denied access to the punk rockers, they would have been in violation of the Act. But the court held that the punk rockers' presence had deprived the deceased person's family of the services of the business establishment, which were meant to provide comfort to grieving family members. On that basis, the court stated that the funeral business could have legitimately denied access to the punk rockers.

http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-rights/right-refuse-service

TITLE II OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACT (PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS)
42 U.S.C. §2000a
(a)All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Last edited:
Truly one of your best posts Tiassa. I was loath to read the entire original transcript (but goddamnit, I have it printed and will begin this evening), so your post summed it up nicely.

~String

Truly one of your best posts Tiassa. I was loath to read the entire original transcript (but goddamnit, I have it printed and will begin this evening), so your post summed it up nicely.

~String

I totally agree...thanks T. Much better than the crap websites I was reading.

According to the Brief for Petitioner, you need not be amazed:

Fred Phelps, Sr., candidly explained that his motive behind protesting military funerals was to seek revenge. According to Phelps, approximately three years before trial, members of the WBC were assaulted by Marines .... In retaliation, WBC members began protesting military funerals and have continually terrorized grieving military families since the alleged assault.

Interesting stuff.

Along the violence lines, I'm starting to think that - should the law ultimately refuse to prevent WBC's activities - the ultimate resolution to the controversy will likely come in the form of them pissing off the wrong military mourner. It's a tiny church with only a handful of members, and so the loss of a few key players would likely cripple their organizational capabilities. According to Wikipedia they've already been attacked several times (including once by an outraged mob during a funeral protest), so it seems only a matter of time until their penchant for enraging mourning military types invites the wrath of a suitably determined, knowledgable and armed retaliator. And to that, I suppose we have to credit their balls. It would be a lot safer and easier to target these protests at gay bars in the Castro or somesuch, so the decision to harass trained killers instead is pretty bold.

That, or Phelps himself gets outed as a raging closeted homosexual. That sort of duplicity is by now standard in American politics, and a cursory glance at their rhetoric reveals a more-than-passing fixation with graphic descriptions of sweaty man-on-man hardcore action. It's not just the overuse of the word "fag," but various other colorful phrases. For example, they can't even seem to get through a pro-forma denunciation of the Jews without veering into "drowned in sodomite semen" and "filthy fag lust." And their hatred of the Jews seems to also be personally-driven, deriving from some percieved oppression of the Church by the local Jewish community. So one has to wonder at the personal motives involved in the ideology in general.

Anyway, for levity.​

This and That

Superstring01 said:

Thank ye, kind sir. In truth, I figured if I am to find myself defending Westboro Baptist Church when this decision comes down, I ought to have a bit more specific an idea of how this whole thing—or disaster, as such—is going to go. Now that I've read the oral arguments and some of the analysis, I'm ready to huck a coin. Not toss it, flip it, or whatever. But close my eyes, throw it out into a field of waist-high grass as hard as I can, and when I find the thing, I'll tell y'all whether it's heads or tails.

But the oral arguments are not nearly so aggravating as the briefs. Indeed, they're almost—almost—entertaining. Well, depending on one's sense of entertainment.

If you don't have too much of a headache after reading through the arguments, compare Denniston's commentary with Epps'. Legal analysts, apparently, can't agree on what they saw and heard from the lawyers themselves, but there seems to be a definite trend about how people perceived the Justices.

This whole case is a freaking mess.

• • •​

Quadraphonics said:

Along the violence lines, I'm starting to think that - should the law ultimately refuse to prevent WBC's activities - the ultimate resolution to the controversy will likely come in the form of them pissing off the wrong military mourner. It's a tiny church with only a handful of members, and so the loss of a few key players would likely cripple their organizational capabilities.

That would be an unfortunate resolution; there's nothing worse that transforming an asshole into a martyr.

Beautiful, and, looking back on that article, very nearly prophetic.

This whole case is a freaking mess.

Yes.

That sums it up.

I've been reading both sides on this for a long while before I made up my damn mind.

Because on a personal level, the Westboro Church has behaved Outrageously.
As a soldier, I find their nutty lack of any kind of respect, their bigotry and their flat out unhidden hatred very disturbing.

Yet, also as a soldier, I'll willingly die for their right to express it.

I just can't support the idea of suing someone for millions of dollars and infringing on free speech -- No matter how hateful and disturbing they are.

I hate Fred Phelps, but classifying certain speech as unprotected by the 1st Amendment because it's "offensive" is a very, very dangerous road to go down.

Summer 2011

Various sources around the web suggest we won't hear a decision on this until next summer. So probably late June or early July. The Court usually releases several rulings right at the end of the term.

Still, though, while that seems typical, it gnaws kind of like waiting for the fall premiere after a late-spring cliffhanger.

Back