Skepticism

Sorry, I thought your post above was actually serious. My bad.
Youre all smoke and mirrors.
Unstead of diverting attention away from yourself you should try and bring your own sensiblities alittle closer to centre-stage.
Trace back the steps where you felt implicated/offended in my initial post and use that as foundation to realise your own self-skepticism.
Its the only way, otherwise youre going to be hop scotching around your own irrationalism the rest of the life, and you dont seriously want to end up like that do you?

So, you were serious?

Asking for evidence and demonstrations to extraordinary claims is equivalent to 'pseudo-skepticism?'

No i think thats perfectly healthy and should be encouraged, my point was skepticism cant be selective it has to be consistant.
So being skeptical about say 'ufos' or 'ghosts' is perfectly acceptable, but you still have to exercise skepticism when it comes to things like m-theory, dark matter, black holes etc.
When people say 'oh im a huge skeptic' quite often through conversation you find that theyre not atall.
What they really mean is 'i dont believe tarot cards, telepathy, astrology etc' Which is fine.
But that doesnt make you a skeptic, you can 'not believe' in lots of stuff without ever invoking any kind of rational process atall.
And its this non-belief in the absense of rationalism that is often held up as skepticism these days, and its this that id term 'pseudo-skepticism'

Thank you, to everyone for your comments!

I think that I might be inclined to agree with him on this one point (below). It is pretty simplistic, but is it just possible that there might be some small measure of truth to it?

"The real world defies all theories."

What think you?

Yes..it centainly defied the 'theory of everything' s I predicted 6 yrs ago on the science forum of the BBC..i was roundly scoffed at.

Thankfully inbetween beatings off his wife..Prof Hawking now agrees.

I can only guess what the BBC forums Staff did with your posts.

kbt.jpg

Back