Show that there is *religiously* motivated violence

i find it just that a homosexual gets burned alive, because god said so. you(we) may say it's a punishment/using force for not stopping the blasphemous and deserving acts of homosexuality.

I do not agree with that.

Can you explain how you have arrived at your stance?

besides, in the reward/punishment system of organizing societies, can you please tell me how can a punishment not be violent?

When it is not performed with greed, anger and delusion.

Although the argument could be made that in order to function at all, the reward/punishment system necessarily requires greed, anger and delusion.

how can a religious punishment not be violent?

What is violent is the attempt to usurp religion by means of greed, anger and delusion.

SWAT teams shooting bank robbers and drug smugglers is not violent?

If having to resort to either of the two, they should be using force, not violence.

There has got to be a lot of this kind of religiously motivated violence going around in world at this very moment.

It seems so obvious. Other than feeling proprietary, why would anyone deny iit?

Because they don't limit their understanding of "religion" to some popular notions of "religion," those popular notions being based on hearsay and lacking accurarcy.

Why do you insist in your particular understanding of "religion"? Why do you limit yourself to some popular, secular notions of it?

As far as definitions go, nothing can exist separately from God.
Definitions do not equate to actual truth.

IF God, as so defined, exists then it would logically follow that nothing can exist separately from God.

But as far as other definitions go, everything can exist separately from God, and in yet other definitions God does not exist other than as a figment of the human mind.

So not only are you insisting that only God can know what is religious or not (or those people who God tells, although there is no way another person could tell if that person is in direct contact with God or just ill etc)... but you are now also insisting that God exists.
And there was me thinking you were an agnostic? :shrug:

Definitions do not equate to actual truth.

This is really just the old problem of which basic outlook we take (and whether we believe that we have a choice in our basic outlook at all to begin with): whether we are common-sense realists, constructivists, idealistic realists, relativists of one kind or another ...

So not only are you insisting that only God can know what is religious or not (or those people who God tells, although there is no way another person could tell if that person is in direct contact with God or just ill etc)... but you are now also insisting that God exists.
And there was me thinking you were an agnostic?

As a weak agnostic, I allow for the possibility that God exists. As I have done throughout this thread.
Being a weak agnostic doesn't mean that one just shuts one's mouth and never says anything on the topic of God, other than "Mum."

Are you still maintaining that you don't believe in God?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- attributed to Aristotle

I do believe that one has to fulfill certain criteria in order to rightfully be considered as "believing in God," and I don't think I fulfill those criteria.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- attributed to Aristotle

I do believe that one has to fulfill certain criteria in order to rightfully be considered as "believing in God," and I don't think I fulfill those criteria.

Do you believe that anything exists?

Edit:

It is really quite simple.

Believe
- to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so

Do you believe that anything exists?
Edit:

It is really quite simple.

Believe
- to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so

"Proof" according to whom?

This is really just the old problem of which basic outlook we take...
How so?
If I define Squark as a square circle, does it exist?
Defining it does not make it real, does not mean it exists.

As a weak agnostic, I allow for the possibility that God exists. As I have done throughout this thread.
But then you state as fact: "It's not like the "physical" - or anything, really - can exist separately from God."
How do you balance this statement on one hand with "allowing for the possibility that God exists" on the other?
On one hand you consider God possibly exists, yet on the other you state that the physical can not exist separately from God - such that if you think the physical exists then you imply God exists.

You are thus being inconsistent - stating "possibility" on one hand yet claiming existence on the other.

Being a weak agnostic doesn't mean that one just shuts one's mouth and never says anything on the topic of God, other than "Mum."
Indeed - but one is being inconsistent if they make claims about God as being fact - as they then imply that God exists.

I allow for the possibility that God exists - I am an agnostic atheist.
But you won't find me making claims about God.
I can happily discuss possibilities, e.g. "IF God exists then X, Y, Z" but, as an agnostic, there is always the possibility that God simply does not exist.

And if you can not build (or have) a world-view that contains that possibility then can you really consider yourself an agnostic?

And I still find your definition of religion as only being applicable IF God exists to be inane. What are we supposed to call Christianity, for example, IF God does not exist? Is a new word supposed to be devised?
If you hold that we can't/don't know, then you are led to a definition of religion that must remove itself from the actuality of God's existence, and be defined upon the practices and beliefs of those within the religion.

Because they don't limit their understanding of "religion" to some popular notions of "religion," those popular notions being based on hearsay and lacking accurarcy.

Why do you insist in your particular understanding of "religion"? Why do you limit yourself to some popular, secular notions of it?

Maybe because the common definition is the more inclusive and accurate one. Definitions like your own are obscure or sectarian in nature, and constitute the opinion of a few narrowly focused and biased individuals.

Sarkus,

I would think differently - that most members of theistic religious organisations would hold religion to be a social gathering with (defined) practices in line with the tenets of their faith, and that to be religiouos one merely needs to act in accordance with those practices. They would take on faith that such actions would be pleasing to God, much as they would take on faith alone that God exists.

That is a self-centered idea of religion, IOW, an atheistic idea of religion.
If you want to know what religion is, then you must know what the object of religion is. Then there must be plan of development in order to reach and maintain that objective.

Your atheism does not allow you to understand what religion is, beyond materialism, and you are prepared only, to accept something that suits your mentality.

jan.

That is a self-centered idea of religion, IOW, an atheistic idea of religion.
If you want to know what religion is, then you must know what the object of religion is. Then there must be plan of development in order to reach and maintain that objective.
And what is the object of theistic religions other than to do what they understand to be the "will of God" and believe in what they understand to be the teachings handed down by God?
Please, do tell what more there is to a theistic religion than this?

Your atheism does not allow you to understand what religion is, beyond materialism, and you are prepared only, to accept something that suits your mentality.
You're speaking drivel, and your comment is nothing more than an ad hom: "Oh, he's an atheist! What does he know about religion!"

This is therefore not my view of religion, but what my experience has told me the vast majority of religious people understand religion to be.

My atheism would surely suggest that I hold it to be entirely man-made, albeit tempered by my agnosticism that suggests one can not know for sure either way.

That has to be some of the worst nonsense that Ardena has ever vomited forth. Just about every self described atheist believed in god at some point in their life; generally when they were children, and were told that god existed, and had created everything, that when you died you would go to heaven, unless you were a bad person, etc. All we have to do to understand a theistic perspective is to remember our own as children.

In Gustav's example with the Schaibles, I clearly made the point that the Schaibles were citizens and as such subject to the law, and I agreed with the verdict that US court made in their case.

yes and you were responding to this......

The right to practice religion freely does not include the right to expose the community or the child to communicable disease or the latter to ill-health or death…

Parents may be free to become martyrs themselves. But it does not follow they are free, in identical circumstances, to make martyrs of their children before they have reached the age of full and legal discretion when they can make that choice for themselves. (Prince v. Massachusetts)​

now
do you agree that they were actually putting in to practice, certain tenets of the christian religion that led them to the predicament they found themselves in?

The District Attorney said the parents "put their faith before acting in the best interest of their son."
That appears to be the case, but I am not sure what exactly was religious about the faith of those parents, other than the name..

you do seem to have difficulties in comprehending scripture and its application so lets try an easier example.....could one assume that the ten commandments inspires christians to lead a moral life? would that be a hard or easy association? i mean we can never absolutely be sure but we can at the very least assign a likelihood and probability of that being the case.

again, divine healing is extrapolated from biblical scripture. specific texts are cited as the basis for a practice by certain churches of the christian faith.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible told police and a city social worker shortly after Kent died on Jan. 24, 2009, that they had prayed for his recovery for about 10 days rather than seek medical help because of their religious beliefs.​

in this instance, the schiables seem fairly religious to me if that account is accurate and i really find no reason to doubt that bit of testimony

I do believe in prayer, and I believe that one ought to pray to become aligned with God's will:
"Dear Lord, please engage me in Your service."

Turning to God with the request "God, do this for me" or something to the effect of "God, I am going to do this in Your name, as a service to You, and You better be happy with it"
is not in the spirit of service to God.

sounds like a personal peccadillo to me. we must have some common ground for the purposes of this discussion and actual scripture from the major faiths seems to meet this requirement as well as a commonly held interpretation of such. for instance.....
Question: "What is intercessory prayer?"

Answer: Quite simply, intercessory prayer is the act of praying on behalf of others. The role of mediator in prayer was prevalent in the Old Testament, in the cases of Abraham, Moses, David, Samuel, Hezekiah, Elijah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel. Christ is pictured in the New Testament as the ultimate intercessor, and because of this, all Christian prayer becomes intercession since it is offered to God through and by Christ. Jesus closed the gap between us and God when He died on the cross. Because of Jesus’ mediation, we can now intercede in prayer on behalf of other Christians or for the lost, asking God to grant their requests according to His will. “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5). “Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us” (Romans 8:34).

A wonderful model of intercessory prayer is found in Daniel 9. It has all the elements of true intercessory prayer. It is in response to the Word (v. 2); characterized by fervency (v. 3) and self-denial (v. 4); identified unselfishly with God’s people (v. 5); strengthened by confession (v. 5-15); dependent on God’s character (vv. 4, 7, 9, 15); and has as its goal God’s glory (vv. 16-19). Like Daniel, Christians are to come to God on behalf of others in a heartbroken and repentant attitude, recognizing their own unworthiness and with a sense of self-denial. Daniel does not say, “I have a right to demand this out of You, God, because I am one of your special, chosen intercessors.” He says, “I'm a sinner,” and, in effect, “I do not have a right to demand anything.” True intercessory prayer seeks not only to know God’s will and see it fulfilled, but to see it fulfilled whether or not it benefits us and regardless of what it costs us. True intercessory prayer seeks God’s glory, not our own.

The following is only a partial list of those for whom we are to offer intercessory prayers: all in authority (1 Timothy 2:2); ministers (Philippians 1:19); the church (Psalm 122:6); friends (Job 42:8); fellow countrymen (Romans 10:1); the sick (James 5:14); enemies (Jeremiah 29:7); those who persecute us (Matthew 5:44); those who forsake us (2 Timothy 4:16); and all men (1 Timothy 2:1).

There is an erroneous idea in contemporary Christianity that those who offer up intercessory prayers are a special class of “super-Christians,” called by God to a specific ministry of intercession. The Bible is clear that all Christians are called to be intercessors. All Christians have the Holy Spirit in their hearts and, just as He intercedes for us in accordance with God’s will (Romans 8:26-27), we are to intercede for one another. This is not a privilege limited to an exclusive Christian elite; this is the command to all. In fact, not to intercede for others is sin. “As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you” (1 Samuel 12:23).​

...that indicates we can assign that form of prayer as central to the christian faith while your beliefs in this matter is very much an outlier.

also please understand that within the context and tenor of this thread, the schaibles could hardly have been said to have directed "*religiously* motivated violence " towards the child. willful negligence is not physical violence per se. it is why manslaughter was the charge leveled at them.

I'm not insisting on too much at all. In most circles, it would not be necessary to define "religion", "motivation", "violence", etc., as these connote fairly universally held meanings, whether referencing a secular or religious dictionary.

To cast this as "popular secularist" seems a little defensive, and perhaps you indeed feel an amount of phobic anxiety when I post such statements. I am interested to known more about that, since my own phobias and anxieties undoubtedly arise mostly from experiences probably different than yours.

I do find your posts interesting and curious. I disagree with you in many ways but I also see you expressing certain resentment that in a way I can relate to, so it gives me a sense that we may have more in common than is immediately obvious.

I did not understand why you earlier shied from me with the comment (other thread) "one cannot argue with an enlightened person". It seemed odd to me, and curious.

I can explain my fears about the voice that resists the question in the OP. But if you chalk me up as a casualty of lowbrow naivete, then I'm certain you're at least a little off the mark.

My take on the question is that it would stand up in court without too much analysis. In the US it is a federal crime to commit any other crime against a person on account of religion. When a church attended by predominantly Black Americans is burned to the ground, the indictment will invariably cite this as religiously and racially motivated violence.

With that kind of understanding as a benchmark for clarity, I don't quibble much with the definitions of these terms.

In acknowledging that there is rampant religiously motivated violence in the world, and has been for all of recorded history, I do not consider that as an indictment against the many good and useful things that people do that are also religiously motivated.

I'm sure from your comments that your own degree of personal development offers you a much better position to reflect on choices than a less well informed person who may have simply been indoctrinated.

As far as I can tell you do not condone violence, in which case you are personally immunized against all of the angst being levied against those who sometimes do.

This thread doesn't belong to this forum or this site where it's the status quo to debase religion.

Some folks like me have issues, that, when we express them, may appear to you to debase religion. It's a fairly subjective term, but also, in today's world we don't give legal right-of-way to older notions that religion must be treated reverently.

Actually, at the core, we are all discussing what is sacred to each of us. Some have absorbed the idea in the context of religion, others simply find that life is sacred, freedom, and so forth, without any religious idea coming into play.

I think I would say that religion itself does not enjoy unrestricted protection from abasement, but that the core issues -whatever we agree is sacred - should be protected.

Some of the lampooning you see here is an expression of frustration by folks who are dismayed by those who would advocate to shield acts of religiously motivated violence.

Without intending too extreme of an example, it bears a slight resemblance to the Nazi youth who would turn in their own parents for protecting the Jews.

There's the common denominator we would all agree is worthy of abasement.

If I would understand by "religion" the same you do, chills would run down my spine too, very much so.

I will just give a definition off the cuff:

Religion is a specific set of beliefs concerning Ultimate Reality, its cause, and its invisible, transcendental or intangible aspects, most notably the essence of life and consciousness, certain universals, such as ethics and morality, and a sense of a cosmic purpose or design, usually attributing these mysteries to a central source, conventionally identified as God, but also including any other deity, being, entity, state or instantiation of consciousness.

Religion also denotes the doctrine of any organized or collective assembly of people who hold such beliefs, and the rituals, practices or disciplines that they engage in furtherance of said beliefs.

Add to this or amend it if you wish, that will help me understand you better.

With the above definition, I find that the men who left their needy families to suffer, so that they could conceivably liberate the Holy Land from its Turkish invaders, intending to run them through with blades of various design, were perpetrating religiously motivated violence.

I do not accept other arguments that they had other motives. I think it amounts to revisionism to say so. The reality of their world is unaltered by our analysis from these sterile ivory towers.

This example is fairly cliche but also quintessentially religious in nature, and easily identified from its place in history. There are of course many other examples.

Back