should she go to jail?

should she go to jail?

• Total voters
Asguard, to be honest I don't know much about the law. But isn't manslaughter an unlawful killing without the intent to kill? If someone accidently hits and kills a child in a speeding car, aren't they charged with manslaughter?

do negligent actions really deserve a custodial sentance or should the whole sentance have been suspended?

If those negligent actions are directly responsible for leading to somebody's death, then yes, there should be a jail term. Do you think it's pleasant, dying from suffocation?

fair enough (just wanted to check before i posted this)

So far we have 8 no's vs 4 yes's at most who actually have taken the judges reasons (rather than there own belief she commited a compleatly different crime) into acount

So 2/3 disagree with the sentancing, interesting

MH no actually they are charged with culpable driving

as for how plesant the death is im sure that guy who jumped in his washing machine and won the darwin award didnt die happy either, but the manner of death isnt really relivent except in cases of delibrate toucher

MH if you read back, cosmic and orleander both think it was a delibrate act of murder. Well as that wasnt the origional question im ignoring there votes

the charge must vary state to state, in Victoria i belive its culpable driving occasioning death. In some other states its called vehecular homocide

Ahh, here we go:
http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/2...motion-should-determine-Towle-sentencing.html
In Victoria, historically there was no such offence as culpable driving. Drivers were charged with manslaughter (20 years). It was perceived that juries were refusing to convict because manslaughter was seen by them as too serious an offence for negligent or drunken driving. Culpable driving (20 years) was introduced to solve this problem. In turn, dangerous driving causing death (5 years, soon to be increased to 10 years) was introduced as a lesser alternative. The sentencing problem of Towle where there were multiple convictions for dangerous driving was never contemplated. There was a gap in the law.

Looks like you might be right... for once.

In a sense that is beside the point. The judge thought it was not intentional AND sent this person to jail.

That's the definition of manslaughter, isn't it? If you want to ride on the hood of my car, and I go along, and then brake sharply (even to avoid a collision), and you fly off and break your neck, I am guilty of manslaughter. No different from this situation.

Oh, and speaking as somewhat experienced in BDSM myself -- the woman (and probably the man, but we can't know for sure) is an idiot, and should never be allowed within spitting distance of a whip, or manacles! You DO NOT leave someone tied up unattended. Ever.

Last edited:
Back