Should religion and science be regarded as NOMA (non-overlapping magisteria)?

You just love to put words in people's mouths.
That is one of the most reprehensible forms of intellectual dishonesty and I wish you could stifle yourself on that one. Let us speak for ourselves.

No. You put words into people's mouths.

This is what I said:

In the same manner, one can also ask:

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in democracy for which there is no reliable evidence?

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in free will for which there is no reliable evidence?

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in equality of all humans for which there is no reliable evidence?

You just love to put words in people's mouths.
That is one of the most reprehensible forms of intellectual dishonesty and I wish you could stifle yourself on that one. Let us speak for ourselves.

What is absolutely reprehensible is the way you don't read what people say.

And then you get all worked up over what they didn't say, and you criticize them for what they didn't say, and you expect them to defend what they didn't say. And when they refuse to, you critizice them some more.

No wonder you have all those problems with "religious people": you don't listen to them. You just take for granted as truth whatever the first reaction to them is that comes up in your mind.

Redneck revival criticical thinking.

And then you get all worked up over what they didn't say, and you criticize them for what they didn't say, and you expect them to defend what they didn't say. And when they refuse to, you critizice them some more.

No wonder you have all those problems with "religious people": you don't listen to them. You just take for granted as truth whatever the first reaction to them is that comes up in your mind.

Redneck revival criticical thinking.

that seems to be the norm around here..

The subjective is non-material, and it does exist, else it wouldn't be experienced. There is no special pleading in this simple fact. It is on you to show how science can intrude upon the strictly subjective, in complete contradiction to its methodology. The subjective is definitively intangible, so no supernatural need be invoked to discuss the non-material.

The subjective can be studied by science using things like polls. Subjective states of mind are also by products of the physical brain. Anyway, most religions aren't completely subjective experiences, they aspire to describe the natural world, how it works, and how it came to be.

I still prefer the demarkation, between science and religion, as being between the left and right brain. Science differentiates reality into smaller and smaller distinctions. Science is about specialization not generalization. Generalization would use more of the integral side of brain, and would like try to create patterns that cross disciplines. The left brain prefers to keeps these apart as separate.

Religion is more integral. Its explanations of reality tend to be one explanation works for all; god did it. Intregral is not as easy to put into words, since it is more intuitive. This is where faith comes it.

For example, anyone can visually pick oriental people from a crowd, due to the integral brain. Say you had to explain this integral ability with words so a computer can do it as accurately as the human eye. This is not easy to differentiate into a computer program, since 3-D is not easy to express in 1-D or 2-D. Integral religious experiences are not easy to put into words, especially by the layman, since these can be more complicated than face recognition.

If you can use both brains equally well, there is no gulf between science and religion. Each works one side of the brain better, t get the whole brain workout. But if you can only use one side of the brain, science is better or religion is better, based on your preferred side.

If you can use both you can swap sides for religion and science. This can differentiate religion in a way consistent with its integration. Or you can integrate science in ways consistent with its differentiation.

The notion of non-overlapping magisteria is just a way for the religious to avoid criticism. It's an old-fashioned idea that is no longer relevant.

GeoffP:

Did you miss my post #38? Or do you think it doesn't deserve/require a response? Or don't you have a response? Or do you just need more time to formulate one? Or ...?

I beg your pardon? YOU said, and I quote:
wynn said:
Why do you think its a good idea to believe in democracy for which there is no reliable evidence?

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in free will for which there is no reliable evidence?

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in equality of all humans for which there is no reliable evidence?

[sic -- "it's" should have an apostrophe in all three instances]
I have never said any of those things on SciForums.
  • While I do believe in democracy because personally I find the evidence convincing, I recognize that the evidence is not sufficient to recommend that others believe in it uncritically. I don't recall ever getting into this discussion on this forum, certainly not since you joined.
  • I have no opinion on free will. I don't see enough evidence on either side of that argument. I have said so on this forum, but not since you joined.
  • I believe that humans should be treated as though they are equal. This is not the same thing as believing that they are equal. Again, I don't think I've gotten into this discussion here either, certainly not since you joined.
So when you ask me, "Why do you think it's a good idea to believe in [these three things]," you are indeed putting words into my mouth.
I just quoted you verbatim.

GeoffP:

Did you miss my post #38? Or do you think it doesn't deserve/require a response? Or don't you have a response? Or do you just need more time to formulate one? Or ...?

I forgot it. Because of Satan.

GeoffP:

It doesn't much matter at what level God is operating. If there's no way to distinguish his actions from what we'd expect in the normal course of events as determined by entirely naturalistic processes, then there seems to be no need to posit the existence of God as an extra hypothesis. Occam's razor.

It does matter at what scale God is meant to operate. Conventionally, we select means differences at a 5% threshold, adjusted via Bonferroni or FDR, or Scheffe for differences among factors or factor combinations within a single term. Now, even the untippable cow of the 5% threshold is, frankly, unsupported. So what kind of confidence interval is God operating at? Where should my z-score lie? 5%? 10%? 0.1% What kind of difference does God have to operate at in the above example to "git 'er dun"? Or who should God be helping? Maybe the people who didn't get helped were wicked in some way. Maybe it's not part of "the plan".

What kind of phenomenon is needed for 'God' to work 'His' magic on the earth? Butterfly wing flapping in California? Well, probably not. So you have issues of scale, issues of incidence, issues of intent. The OT has a lot of cities being blasted, although I think only two were purportedly from direct action. The Quran calls God the 'best of Plotters'. The Bible says 'do not put your God to the test'. I'm not sure what it is that one should expect to find. But as you say, I wouldn't posit God as an extra hypothesis, based on the the above. I think such issues are just outside natural investigation. If people want to believe in some deity, I can't really say yea or nay excepting under possibly certain circumstances. Most of those - or at least the one I envisage - are negative: for example, if I found a reliably supported and suitably aged scrawl on a temple that read "tee hee, my name's Joshua and I made it all up, from XX date to XX date" then sure, I could accept that as a scientific refutation of the Abrahamic god.

Occam's Razor is a tool for application to logical problems. Deities are supernatural. Better the twain don't meet.

Returning to the previous example I gave, if your claim is that being prayed for helps sick people because God answers those prayers, then it is relatively straightforward to test whether prayed-for people have statistically better health outcomes than non-prayed-for people.

The same approach is applicable to just about any claimed influence of God in the world.

Well, that wouldn't be my claim, actually. I don't know that God actually would answer prayers in the affirmative; why do we expect that 'He' would? Opposing football teams all pray for help, or probably do. Armies invoke God as they battle it out. Which side should God take? One could pray to a divine being. Is that being then expected to say yes or no? Why or why not? There's a lot of incidental baggage with that. Even prayer for health; how would we know that there was no 'greater plan' for all of this? Theists can claim it, and it exists outside natural evidence.

Don't you find it strange that God just happens to decide to answer or not answer prayers in such a way that the outcomes are indistinguishable from what we'd expect if there was no God?

It doesn't really enter into it for me.

I agree with you that theists always have the ad hoc escape clause of "God moves in mysterious ways". That does nothing to prove God, of course. What it does is to make God non-falsifiable.

It is an attempt to exempt God from the usual standards of scientific proof and disproof.

Possible, even probable. But even if theists are doing this, does that mean it isn't also so; that God, as a supernatural entity or concept is exempt from the usual standards of scientific proof and disproof? I'm conflicted about Occam here, because it's meant to be for naturalistic issues, no? All other things being equal in genomics, Occam is still a fair tool, but things are never so equal. So I guess I have mixed feelings about Occam also. Yes, I know that may seem heretical.

In other words "Believe in God despite a complete lack of evidence for his existence. Replace Reason with Faith. Just Believe, and don't worry that you're believing in something without any evidentiary grounds for your belief. Trust The Church (or whoever tells you to Believe in God)."

:shrug: Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. But barring specific examples like the one I gave above, how can we use the tools of reason to investigate the supernatural? Or anatural, if you'd rather. We might also differ in interpretation, as I'm finding: a couple individuals that I recently argued with seemed to accept no position at all that would refute deities using even extreme naturalistic evidence.

It seems to me that we're almost on the same race track here, except when it comes to the last hurdle.

Why do you think its a good idea to believe in a God for whom there is no reliable evidence?

I don't. I think it is an idea. I doubt I can attach any kind of coefficient to it, so it's neither good nor bad for the moment.

Is it that you claim there is some kind of evidence that you regard as convincing, other than evidence that a scientist would find convincing?

No.

If so, what is that evidence? Personal gut feeling?

Tsk. I hope you're not poking at pigeon holes here.

It depends what you value in life, and that's a somewhat individual thing. I guess some people can live with the cognitive dissonance that goes with having certain ideas about what counts of evidence in science and other ideas about what counts when it comes to religion. Personally, I have issues with that. How about you?

Well, when we actually can test it, I'd be happy to look into it. Could be quite exciting, really. Unfortunately, I don't think we can test it. I don't worry about it too much, except when it intrudes into the social or educational sphere. You want to believe there's a sky-daddy? OK. You want to believe there isn't one? OK. So what?

Then we're reduced to arguing about whether religion is a net positive or negative influence on people and/or societies. And that is a question that doesn't turn on whether there is a God or not.

This is a practical concern. I don't think we're 'reduced' to it, because I don't think there's any way to investigate.

When it comes to individuals, maybe it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things whether they want to spend their time parasailing or praying or writing symphonies. But in terms of net human happiness, some activities seem to me to be more useful than others. So, I guess I'm arguing for a general increase in happiness, which is probably not the same thing as an increase in "efficiency". I'm far from convinced that religion is a net positive for happiness; worse - I fear it is a net negative.

In all honesty it may well be. It hasn't had a good record so far. Can we separate the concept of religion from its consequences?

I think the notion of Hell is a tremendous drain on the human psyche. Maybe not yours, but then I think you probably don't really believe in Hell.

I have no way to know if it's real or not. Well, actually my understanding is that it's a miscomprehension of Gehenna, which was just a field in Israel. So, not, I guess. Hell is certainly a drain on the human psyche - but then again, wouldn't many people fly off the moral compass without it hanging over their heads? I can only imagine how much worse things could be without some kind of mortal fear around.

Such tests have been done. It's just an ordinary scientific test, best done with a double-blind, randomised protocol. Select random groups of people. Group A is the control group - nobody prays from them. Group B is the test group - people pray for their good fortune (or whatever). Obviously, some reasonable time limit must be imposed so we don't have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for God to respond (or not). Compare the outcomes of Group A with Group B. Apply normal statistical methods.

I went over that above. What distribution does God act over? Binary? Ordinal? Quantitative? At what significance level? For who?

I don't understand this question. Philosophical distinction between what and what else? Why is there a supposition? Why is that fundamental? What's the point of what?

I don't even remember what the point was. Probably related to testing.

I'd like to think that people are reasonable beings. You don't think that's the case?

Good Myuu, no, they're not reasonable or rational beings! Have you seen some of the discussions on this site?? In details, here and there and when it suits them, sure. But essentially human beings are overglorified monkeys. Monkeys like to eat, crap, mate, and get mad: and at least one of those things is about emotion. No, I don't find people particularly reasonable, with select exceptions at select times.

It might be very important to win the "war", either way. If our aim is to maximise human happiness and minimise suffering, then we need to ask whether religiosity is likely to help or hinder that aim. And we need to ask the same question about science, of course.

True, true. Hard to argue against that. I'll admit to this basic humanity, if no other: I don't see the need to eradicate religion, so long as it pulls its socks up and loses all power to compel, utterly. It must be made accountable and representative to its history.

I've heard that argument about science before. Don't know. Do you fancy subsistence farming?

Coming back to the point of this thread, on your view we can have our cake and eat it too, keeping both science and religion as separate areas of human activity. But even if you're right and science has no business stepping on religion's turf, we still need to evaluate whether religion is a net positive to society. It's the only rational thing to do.

I'd like to think that people are complex enough to handle duality. You don't think that's the case? ;)

I'm aware that my own biases are showing clearly here. You might argue that maximising happiness is not a worthy goal (i.e. utilitarianism is bad), or at least not the foremost goal we ought to pursue.

Now, now: I don't think I said that. I believe, in my ignorance, I thought happy people with God at least no more ethically low than unhappy people without. Or are you arguing for happiness over the long-term here?

You might also argue that rationality itself is not all it's cracked up to be.

I don't think I said that either. :)

In both cases, I can only say that you're likely to have an uphill battle convincing me if you want to make these arguments. But who knows? I have changed my mind about a number of things in the past. These ones are fairly fundamental to who I am right now, though.

Well, as I'm arguing neither, shall I now induct you into the Cult of Geoff? First month is free.

Well.

Half off, anyway.

I beg your pardon? YOU said, and I quote:I have never said any of those things on SciForums.
  • While I do believe in democracy because personally I find the evidence convincing, I recognize that the evidence is not sufficient to recommend that others believe in it uncritically. I don't recall ever getting into this discussion on this forum, certainly not since you joined.
  • I have no opinion on free will. I don't see enough evidence on either side of that argument. I have said so on this forum, but not since you joined.
  • I believe that humans should be treated as though they are equal. This is not the same thing as believing that they are equal. Again, I don't think I've gotten into this discussion here either, certainly not since you joined.
So when you ask me, "Why do you think it's a good idea to believe in [these three things]," you are indeed putting words into my mouth.I just quoted you verbatim.

AGAIN:

This is what I said:

Notice the
?

You keep omitting that part.

:bugeye:

If you are only conscious via one side of the brain, there are things that will elude you from the other side of the brain, since not all things translate easily from one side to the other.

The genetic based humanoids of a hundred thousand years ago were more than likely right brained or used the integral side of the brain. This side of the brain would integrate them with nature and instinct. The primary use of this side can also be inferred by the tiny sprinkling of invention over tens of thousands of years (only fire and stone tools). Prolific nvention would require more access to the left or differential brain. The tiny sprinkling of invention means the left/differential brain was far more unconscious than in modern times, but could appear periodically in the context of instinctive integration. Fire was an extension of instinct.

The formation of civilzation would require the left/differential brain become much more conscious and subject to will power, so the distinctions of culture would become obvious and controllable. The left brain ability for distinction would also apply to themselves, allowing self differntiation and differential departure from instinctive integration; free will.

In the bible, knowledge of good and evil would have required the left or differential side of brain; differentiate good from evil. The tree of life was right/integral brained since like life itself it is integrated.

Both sides of the brain are always in play, religion remained closer to the natural with the right leading left; spatial to differentiation (god becomes man). Science is more differentiated and is left brain leading right brain; data leading conclusion.

Why would we expect that the God of the Bible answers prayers? Because it says he does in the Bible. Even if he didn't answer all of them, there should still be a statistical difference in the outcome between people that pray and people that don't.

Why would we expect that the God of the Bible answers prayers? Because it says he does in the Bible. Even if he didn't answer all of them, there should still be a statistical difference in the outcome between people that pray and people that don't.

this is where my own scrutiny of the bibles claim 'pray and it shall be done' comes into focus..i struggle with praying, my will vs Gods will, do i have the right to pray for something that is not in his will to grant? it is this that makes me think that prayer is meant not for God but for those around us to learn what it is that we care about.(there is a certain validity for prayer to bring our focus on God to fix the problem rather than our own fallible means to fix a problem,irregardless of the content of the prayer )

If i were to pray to God to give me a million dollars, would it be in my best interest for him to give it to me?
pry not..(that doesn't keep me from praying that..:rolleyes:)

same if i were to pray for someone elses problems..what if that is not in their best interest?

as far as statistical probabilities of Gods answering prayers, the same argument applies..we as humans tend to pray for selfish needs, i am sure if you were to consider the motivational desires of the prayers the odds would be great that the desires are not conducive to Gods will..(this assumes knowledge of Gods will)
IOW has there been studies that reject certain prayers on the basis of what is in the bible that intones what is an acceptable prayer or not?
or is it just a shotgun method of analysis?(all prayer vs results)

That could be why the subjects of previous prayer studies were patients in a hospital recovering from surgery. Surely it is in the interest of most of those people to recover.

That could be why the subjects of previous prayer studies were patients in a hospital recovering from surgery. Surely it is in the interest of most of those people to recover.

the key word is 'ppl'..
I often wonder, what if God wants them to be in heaven with him?
or another argument;
what if their life is such that it would be doing them a service to let them die (sorry for the harshness, but understand what i am trying to say)
what if their death benefits others?
(don't ask how..all i have is assumptions)
there are some ppl out there (medically speaking) when they get one thing fixed something else goes wrong..
there are also ppl out there that there lives are in such turmoil, that it is beyond repair,death would be a blessing to some.

besides fear of death is a human thing, to God it is irrelevant,to God it is just a transition..

(again not arguing a pro death stance, although i would argue a pro-choice stance)

I think the expectations of the efficacy of prayer are a bit mixed. I looked up that line someone wrote above "pray and it shall be done".

But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded man, unstable in all he does.

James 1: 6-8

There's ask and ye shall receive (Matthew 7:7)... but isn't that salvation?

If I get the time, maybe I'll compile a list of quotes or something. Don't count on it being this century though.

yea..that was from memory..and susceptible to error..but good form to look it up...

the key word is 'ppl'..
I often wonder, what if God wants them to be in heaven with him?
or another argument;
what if their life is such that it would be doing them a service to let them die (sorry for the harshness, but understand what i am trying to say)
what if their death benefits others?
(don't ask how..all i have is assumptions)
there are some ppl out there (medically speaking) when they get one thing fixed something else goes wrong..
there are also ppl out there that there lives are in such turmoil, that it is beyond repair,death would be a blessing to some.

besides fear of death is a human thing, to God it is irrelevant,to God it is just a transition..

(again not arguing a pro death stance, although i would argue a pro-choice stance)

I think such individual cases would not be as relevant if the sample size was large enough.

I think such individual cases would not be as relevant if the sample size was large enough.

that's what i am asking about shotgun style,
science is about the details, without the scrutiny on the details, it corrupts the final answer.

The religious will always be able to give reasons why prayer didn't work, but as long as it shows no effect, the experiment supports godlessness.

The rationale usually given by those who reject any role for science on religious matters is that science concerns itself, "by definition," solely with natural phenomena. Since the supernatural is unobservable, then, they assert, science has nothing to say about it.

However, while supernatural entities may not be directly observable, any effects these entities might have on the material world should manifest themselves as observable phenomena. Anything observable is subject to scientific inquiry. On the other hand, if the supernatural has no observable effects on the natural world, then why even worry about it?

In recent years, right under the nose of the NAS, reputable scientists from reputable institutions have vigorously pursued several areas of empirical study that bear directly on the question of God and the supernatural. Any one of these experiments was capable of providing evidence for at least some aspect of a world beyond the material world. I will mention just two.

Teams of scientists from three highly respected institutions -- the Mayo Clinic and Harvard and Duke Universities -- have performed carefully controlled experiments on the medical efficacy of blind, intercessory prayer and published their results in peer-reviewed journals. These experiments found no evidence that such prayers provide any health benefit. But, they could have.

For my second example, over a period of four decades extensive investigations have been made into the phenomenon of near-death experiences (NDEs) in which people resuscitated from the brink of death report a glimpse of "heaven." Despite thousands of such reports, not a single subject has returned with new knowledge that could be tested by further investigations. No prediction has been made of some future catastrophe that later occurred on schedule, and not for lack of opportunity given the many natural disasters -- earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, tornados -- of recent years. Similarly, no divine revelation has provided an answer for any currently unanswered question in science, history, or theology; such as, where in the universe we will find extraterrestrial life or the location of Noah's Ark.

Now, I am not saying that these negative results prove conclusively that the supernatural does not exist, although a good case can be made that the absence of evidence that should be there can be taken as evidence of absence. My point here is that, in principle, experiments such as these and others could have provided direct evidence for a world beyond matter.

So, scientists and science organizations are being disingenuous when they say science can say nothing about the supernatural. They know better. Their policy of appeasing religion for presumably political reasons only empowers those who are muddling education and polluting public policy with anti-scientific magical thinking.​

Victor Stenger

Back