Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, its stupid to have a category for NOT believing in something

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got better things to think about

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • My opinion, which is better than yours, is given in a post below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like how you skip the first definition and go to the second one.

What difference does it make to an atheist how he/she gets married?

They mean exactly the same thing. I just thought the second one was a bit simpler.
What difference does it make to a theist how he/she gets married?

Our definition of "secular" must be corrupt then. A nation that tolerates religion is not the same as one that incorporates religious doctrine into its laws. There seems to be a fine line.

I don't consider communist regimes as secular, so yes, there must be.

They mean exactly the same thing. I just thought the second one was a bit simpler.

Well to a Muslim, its a contract, requires four witnesses, the consent of both parties three times and a written document agreeing to the amount of mehr the bride gets from her intended.

Well to a Muslim, its a contract, requires four witnesses, the consent of both parties three times and a written document agreeing to the amount of mehr the bride gets from her intended.

Would an atheist want to have a Muslim marriage ? What about vice versa ?

.... India is a multireligious country and we have a secular culture and social systems. ie we don't interfere in religious matters and have civil as well as religious laws to accomodate as required.

If India has to accomodate "religious laws", then the Indian government is NOT secular.

And from the vast numbers of cows walking around India, I'd suggest that the Hindu laws against killing and eating cows is decidedly religious. No, India is NOT a secular nation.

Baron Max

I don't know why an atheist would want to have a Muslim marriage, but if he/she did, they would have to convert to Islam, I think, although I have heard of cases where the priest did not care.

The desire for a Muslim marriage is more often dictated by the desire to follow the religious rules and and also decides how divorce, remarriage, custody, maintenance, property distribution, ownership and inheritance are decided.

If India has to accomodate "religious laws", then the Indian government is NOT secular.

And from the vast numbers of cows walking around India, I'd suggest that the Hindu laws against killing and eating cows is decidedly religious. No, India is NOT a secular nation.

Baron Max

I'm agreeing with you, but it also places into question the secularism of most western nations, since most share some religious inheritance in their social and civil laws.

I don't know why an atheist would want to have a Muslim marriage, but if he/she did, they would have to convert to Islam, I think, although I have heard of cases where the priest did not care.

The desire for a Muslim marriage is more often dictated by the desire to follow the religious rules and and also decides how divorce, remarriage, custody, maintenance, property distribution, ownership and inheritance are decided.

What I was trying to point out is that atheists do care what kind of marriage they have.

What I was trying to point out is that atheists do care what kind of marriage they have.

Why?

Baron Max

You probably think communist nations are secular then. I don't.

I'm agreeing with you, but it also places into question the secularism of most western nations, since most share some religious inheritance in their social and civil laws.

Well, you and I both know that one can't just remove that part of ones brain .....surgery to take out the religious beliefs before taking office in the government?! Or installing an on/off switch to turn on or off any and all religious beliefs and teachings. :D

Baron Max

You probably think communist nations are secular then. I don't.

No, SAM, people, no people, can just turn off beliefs ...whatever they might be. No, I don't think there's such a thing as a truly secular nation in the world of humans today.

Baron Max

Why does a negative position need to be recognised?

Do we have clubs of people who don't believe in UFOs, a festival for those who don't celebrate Christmas, a book for those who don't collect stamps?

Why even have a separate category for atheism?
The reason that there is a category for atheism is that it has very real social implications, regardless of the truth/falsity of the claim of god.
(something to which this site is testimony, a major preoccupation of atheists is the criticism of the social influence of theism)

IOW categories of social position (particularly those that are involved in social critical analysis/dialogue ) are recognized ... that's why we have atheists, as opposed to achristmasafarians or anti-ufologists or whatever

Western countries invading Muslim ones, of course.

But I was responding to some idiotic comments. :p

If its getting traumatic, we could say democratic countries vs Muslim ones. :p

>>>
I like how you skip the first definition and go to the second one.

What difference does it make to an atheist how he/she gets married?

Western countries invading Muslim ones, of course.

But I was responding to some idiotic comments. :p

If its getting traumatic, we could say democratic countries vs Muslim ones. :p

Or we can say "moderately secular" countries. Anyway, what was your point regarding western countries invading Muslim countries. Certainly you're not blaming atheism...?

You were unsuccessful, I still don't know why an atheist would care about type of marriage.

:confused:

For the same reason a theist would care..
Why would an atheist have a religious marriage ? Unless he/she is a hypocrite of course :rolleyes:

Back