Shame as a feature of morality

But surely, one feels guilt related to shame as a result. And that sense of guilt and at the beginning, that sense of shame effects our actions. It also controls them.

Well my argument is that the focus of these two terms are different. You would have to give me an example of guilt relating to shame. Someone can feel shame and guilt but they would feel that for two different reasons. A woman who covers herself at the beach because she is obese does so from a feeling of shame over her weight. This same woman may feel guilt over what she consumed after a meal. She feels shame over who and what she is as a person ie. 'unattractive', 'undesirable' 'out of control' 'undisciplined' and so on.

I view the connotations as different, guilt being based on what one has done, shame as being based on what one is. I can feel shame over being really poor or different but that is not related to guilt as shame is related to what you cannot change about yourself (like the homosexual who feels shame over their feelings towards the same sex even if they are not acted upon). You don't have to do anything in particular to feel shame as its about your person. Guilt on the other hand directly relates to ones actions.

Back