Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually you put more thought into your responses.
Your list is not of specifically atheist regimes only (especially not on a thread in which the OP is attempting to deny the existence of atheism altogether on the grounds that people often harbor irrational superstitions and spiritual beliefs)
and it does not present counts of people killed "simply due to their religious beliefs" at all.

Not sure what point you were trying to make - that theistic religion is not the only root of all evil? We can all agree on that, I think.

images

Usually you put more thought into your responses.

The proven bad track record on multiple levels of state atheism has been a major stumbling block in providing a vast array of examples to draw from. You will be hard pressed to find even one example where it didn't turn out to be a wall to wall jar of shit.
WOW 2,325,000 deaths and ongoing. A truly terrible state of affairs.

But, lest we forget or minimize my post #1004.

TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion and ongoing. [/quote]

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/33tofh/how_many_people_have_been_killed_in_the_name_of/

Seems then that atheist have still a ways to go before their crimes (for a number of different reasons) match those of theists in the name of God alone.

Last edited:
No, to eliminate the political power of religion..,difference in motive.
When it reaches the point of bayoneting the infants of religious people, I guess they are taking that political elimination down to a pretty grass roots level.

Yes, atheist don't use terms like apostate.
Instead they use words like traitor, dissentor, nonconformist, etc

And to which agreement by others was expressed.
Ummm ... even you backed away to the more defensible "all sorts of people do bad things", what to speak of others even half versed in modern history.

But thanks for reposting. Perhaps more will confirm the veracity of that statement.
Given that even you changed your mind several posts later, it could be a long wait

Except I did not try to counter your argument. I never denied that there are bad people of all stripes.
On the contrary, that has been everyone else's position. Your position is (or rather, was, at least until it dawned on you how stupid it was)...

You : The difference is that; Atheists do not persecute Theists forbeing Theists,

Your words. Not anyone elses.
I brought attention to motive. No, I merely focused on the aspect of motive, which is the current subject under discussion. Apparently not on your part.
So i guess this means we are now officially moving into the "true Scotsman" part of the discussion.
Feel free to discuss how atheism has no bearing on the motive of these acts and we will all just sit back and watch you fall in the ditch.

Your list is not of specifically atheist regimes only (especially not on a thread in which the OP is attempting to deny the existence of atheism altogether on the grounds that people often harbor irrational superstitions and spiritual beliefs)
and it does not present counts of people killed "simply due to their religious beliefs" at all.

Not sure what point you were trying to make - that theistic religion is not the only root of all evil? We can all agree on that, I think.
It was for the edification of our resident scholar and gentleman, Write4U, who made this statement a few pages back :

The difference is that; Atheists do not persecuteTheists forbeing Theists,

WOW 2,325,000 deaths and ongoing. A truly terrible state of affairs.

But, lest we forget or minimize my post #1004.

TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion and ongoing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/33tofh/how_many_people_have_been_killed_in_the_name_of/

Seems then that atheist have still a ways to go before their crimes (for a number of different reasons) match those of theists in the name of God alone.
Well I can understand why you don't call yourself Read4U.
I'm guessing you just looked at the graph and not much else.

Yes indeed, there is a is a great difference in meaning of those terms, don't you agree?
So what tenets of faith within atheism do you think one must abandon in order to be branded an "apostate" by an atheist?
(I'm assuming you know what "apostate" means .... although given your track record even that may be charity given in vain)

The proven bad track record on multiple levels of state atheism has been a major stumbling block in providing a vast array of examples to draw from.
The USA has state atheism, doesn't it? The term "separation of church and state" gets bandied around a lot.

Do you think it would work better as a Theocracy?

How have other Theocracies worked out?

So what tenets of faith within atheism do you think one must abandon in order to be branded an "apostate" by an atheist?
(I'm assuming you know what "apostate" means .... although given your track record even that may be charity given in vain)
Apostasy (/əˈpɒstəsi/; Greek: ἀποστασίαapostasia, "a defection or revolt") is the formal disaffiliation from, or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person. It can also be defined within the broader context of embracing an opinion contrary to one's previous beliefs
Again you reveal your sloppy reading . I quoted that link in my post #1147.

The word apostate is not used by atheists to identify another atheist. It is a word only used by theists or other believers to identify non-believers or believers in a different religion.

And contrary to the OP question atheist are non-believers to begin with and that's why they are called apostate by religious believers.

///
Which god are you claiming IS? Can you say nothing about it other than it IS? If so, you are not actually discussing it. <>
I agree and after a cursory search there seems to be a myriad of depictions of God as a clothed male human. Some of them can be found here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_the_Father_in_Western_art

Which is very strange, being that John of Damascus wrote:
"If we attempt to make an image of the invisible God, this would be sinful indeed. It is impossible to portray one who is without body: invisible, uncircumscribed and without form."

In Islamic art, God may not be depicted at all.

But it has nothing in particular to do with atheists persecuting theists for being theists. Hence my query.
It waa more of a cursory history lesson for W4U. Practically all historical instances of State Atheism result in outstanding performance in the field of genocide of not just theists, but also a whole host of other classes and creeds. This isn't to say theists simply got caught up in the turmoil and madness. Part of the ideology is a very soecific condemnation and persecution of anyone religious.

How convenient that you left out some of the more minor wars, like the Crusades. It's almost like you had to carefully pick your timescale to prove your point.
If you think the statistics are an assimilation of war dead, you were not paying attention.
If you think the statistics were meddled with in some way to specifically avoid going further back in history than the standard field of modern history, you were not paying attention.

The USA has state atheism, doesn't it? The term "separation of church and state" gets bandied around a lot.
You could say such an arrangement gives the opportunity for atheism to flourish under certain conditions ... but I think you would be hard pressed to explain it as developing from atheist core values.

Do you think it would work better as a Theocracy?
I think its the nature of political/management systems that they have to be constantly revisited in order to be healthy. Regimes are not particularly famous for their ability to receive feedback

How have other Theocracies worked out?
Perhaps slightly better than State Atheist Regimes, simply because the inclination to "reinvent the wheel" with social engineering in several year leap plans (which inevitably seem to leads to millions of people dying like flies), etc is not so prominent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back