Right to Suicide

I agree. Look at the Universes! One person more, a few million humans less, what's the difference (no sarcasm)? What difference does humanity's existence make, when taking the entire picture into view?
Surely, we are important in some ways. But if some die sooner than others want it, it's no big deal.

Do you have the same view on euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide?

Roman said:
Suicide's for pussies, and if you want to be a pussy, I won't hold you back.

:mad: That's a horrible thing to think. But if ya wanna think that . . . :rolleyes: fine . . .

Anyway, I think I have a quote by an unknown person that ties into this suicide thing, and says how I feel about it:

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

And what do I care for that other person? For myself I am the world and personally I wouldn't care less how it influences others, because if I have a right to live, then I have a right to die too, i.e., do whatever I want with my life.

Yes, ya do have a right to die.

That's why I think that ya should be allowed to kill yerself, but that it be only discouraged, not criminalized or looked-down-upon, kuz ye'r important to someone, somewhere.

One thing about life is its 100% fatal, you are going to die sometime, and no matter how much you mean to someone they will have to deal with it, why shouldnt it be a matter of personal choice when you want to die?

Heh, who would give a fuck about suicide not being legal? I mean, you are pretty much dead after you commited this crime.

Well, suicide in uh... what's that country, Japan or China, where warriors were to commit suicide in some circumstances? In different cultures it means different things.
As long as it is a reasoned choice, it is not stupid.
And what of those mentally ill who want to kill themselves? Why shouldn't they be able to die sooner if they want to, especially if we cannot cure them?
Why shouldn't a person who will die in agony within months be able to stop his suffering?
Those who go to war must admit they may die sooner than expected, so war is a form of suicide; are all wars stupid?

When it comes right down to it, everyone has the right to do whatever the heck they want. It's simply a matter of choice. Do I choose this? Do I choose that? Do I choose to follow laws? Do I choose to ignore laws? It's simply a matter of choice. Every human has free will, and so it is every human's right to excercise that free will. Actions can definitely be good, and actions can definitely be bad. Does the person acting realize the good? Does the person acting realize the bad? It is only relevant as far as effect goes. As far as each individual is concerned, each will act as he/she sees fit and good and right and best. I personally am opposed to suicide, just as I am opposed to murder, drunkenness, lies, sloth, etc... Does that mean I am going to go and stop a person from doing those things? Of course not. Every human is as human as I am and has every right to excercise his/her will as he/she sees fit. Laws are in place for the sake of protection. Whether we want to take risk is our choice. If there is a law put in place banning suicide, then I will consider it under the light of protection, that the lawmakers see a certain value in human life. If there is a law that allows for suicides, I'll be sad, but what can I do?

There is not needed any law allowing suicides. If you're successful then you are outside of the reaches of law.

Yes, but if one doesn't succeed in a suicide attempt, he should be allowed to try again and again without intervention of puritans.

The anti-suicide feelings, it seems, stem from the grief over the dead and the inability to hold the dead accountable for anything. It's impossible to blame those who are gone for leaving others in grief.

But the dead are dead, and those alive will soon die. Death is not to be grieved over.

My best friend had cancer. It could have been treated, but she was more afraid of the treatment than the disease.

She committed suicide.

I miss her every day. I'm not sad because of the way she died, but just because she isn't here.

The last thing I can do for her is to accept the choice she made and forgive her for killing my best friend.

Ah, just as an addition:

Keeping someone from committing suicide is just as egoistical as doing the deed, hence it can be no real reason against the taking of ones own life.

Suicide is as bad as murder, because a lot of people around this person will miss this person. However, the problem is attachment: if we're not attached to any person, but if we love the self of all things, we won't be sad only because a body (person) dies. Loneliness can't exist without friends, and he who has no friends is an equal friend to everybody. Man doesn't know what happens after death, so he should make the best of his life. The greatest and the only mistake is to say to oneself "I am worthless, I can't do this", because nothing is impossible for the self. No one is greater than us, nothing has power except what we give. We forge the chains and we alone can break them.

§outh§tar said:
I am NOT saying anyone should go kill themselves or that is a commendable thing to do. I am only saying there is nothing wrong with it since no one, not even the person has been given any such 'right' to their life.
If there is no right to life, then surely there is no right to death?

The right to suicide comes from your right to self-determination. When you come right down to it, you own your body and have the final say about what can be done to it – to the extent that your decisions don’t infringe on the rights of other people.

I believe that people must ultimately have the right to end their lives. No one else can make the decision as to whether any particular life is fraught with so much incurable pain that the only way to end the suffering is death.

Yet at the same time I grieve for all the people who love the one who dies. It's bad enough when someone is killed by a tragedy or an illness. But when a person takes their own life, it leaves everyone who loved them wondering whether they could have just put forth a little more effort and gotten the person through the rough spot.

It's the same way I feel about capital punishment. The only people you're really punishing are the people who loved the criminal. His children, his friends, people who had no control or perhaps even no knowledge of his dark side, and just feel a void and a lot of guilt.

So yes, people must have the right to die, but I would like to ensure that they realize what they're doing to the ones who love them and are still willing to make the choice.

I would be in favor of assisted suicide as long as that person is able to give their consent. If the person is not competent enough to make a legal contract then how can they make a life and death decision. This would also remove the problem of wasted medical interventions on the unfit who cannot even commit suicide successfully. It would also cut way down on those who try to gain attention by fake attempts.

Back