Richard Dawkins

(Q) said:
I would be interested in the reviewers comments, or yours, in regards to those "telling blows on an already shaky evolutionary edifice" from ID? Or why it is "disengenous" of science to seek evidence in regards to the existence of gods? Or how the reviewer considers atheism as a belief system?
"telling blows on an already shaky evolutionary edifice"
ID has delivered no telling blows to anything, nor is it capable of so doing. IDism is a philosophical, or religious position. The latter cannot refute something that is derived through science. (Just as science cannot refute something that is derived through philosophy.)

The evolutionary edifice is shaky. If you think otherwise you have failed to understand the evolution of evolutionary theory. The shakiness of the edifice is one of its immense strength, since it relates to the progressive widening and deepening of understanding of the mechanisms involved. Such progress is a consequence of recognising the inconsistencies and contradictions within the edifice.

why it is "disengenous" of science to seek evidence in regards to the existence of godsFor the same reason that master chefs should not comment upon ressucitation methods, using their experience of preparing sauces.

Or how the reviewer considers atheism as a belief system?Dawkins has certainly turned it into one.

imaplank, if you wish to explore 'the detrimental effects of atheism on science' then read the works of Dawkins (except Ancestor's Tale) with an objective eye and not the posture of a sycophant.

imaplanck. said:
I am saying you cant fill a book with 'the detrimental effects of atheism on science' and remain true to such processes. :)

I can discuss the scientific method philosopically.

Can you discuss philosophy scientifically?

sniffy said:
Philosophy as well as science has theories which challenge theism.

The argument is not theism.

The argument is: can you use a scientific method in a philosophical argument?
And call it empiricism?

Or to be clearer: is a meme (as a unit of cultural information) equal to a gene (as a unit of heredity)?

Can one use scientific arguments to prove or disprove memetic viruses? the transmission of memes? the cumulative selection process of memes?

Is this science?

oph said:
imaplank, if you wish to explore 'the detrimental effects of atheism on science' then read the works of Dawkins (except Ancestor's Tale) with an objective eye and not the posture of a sycophant.

Really? No I have no desire to waste my time and objectivism to an abstract that is in all likelyhood biasedly critisiced by a kiss ass masquarading as a serious scientist, who should practice before preaching.

sniffy said:

Please scientifically discuss the selection process in the transmission of the meme of "dude" (a catch phrase or slang term).

samcdkey said:
The argument is not theism.

The argument is: can you use a scientific method in a philosophical argument?
And call it empiricism?

Or to be clearer: is a meme (as a unit of cultural information) equal to a gene (as a unit of heredity)?

Can one use scientific arguments to prove or disprove memetic viruses? the transmission of memes? the cumulative selection process of memes?

Is this science?

Yes. Scientific methods can be used to investigate anything. Those who would present religion as science should be prepared to have science used against them. Religion isn't philosophy it is one of several philosophies which have always been open to debate.

imaplanck. said:
Really? No I have no desire to waste my time and objectivism to an abstract that is in all likelyhood biasedly critisiced by a kiss ass masquarading as a serious scientist, who should practice before preaching.
Then we are in agreement.

sniffy said:
Yes. Scientific methods can be used to investigate anything. Those who would present religion as science should be prepared to have science used against them. Religion isn't philosophy it is one of several philosophies which have always been open to debate.

Then it should be easy for you to answer these questions, that I am opening up for debate, as they are being presented as a science:

Is a meme (as a unit of cultural information) equal to a gene (as a unit of heredity)?

I would also like you to define a meme, its discrete unit and how you would assess for it.

Using a scientific method.

Last edited:
Back