Richard Dawkins

samcdkey said:
Yet- the very scientists who aim to prove God is an illusion and write books on Selfish genes, also entertain delusions of secularism and humanism.

Sad indeed.
could you explain for the idiots amongst us, how you can have delusions of a political or social philosophy that rejects all forms of religious faith and worship and delusions of a system or mode of thought or action in which human interests, values, and dignity predominate.
thank you.

sam,

Yet- the very scientists who aim to prove God is an illusion and write books on Selfish genes, also entertain delusions of secularism and humanism.

Sad indeed.
Well that's among the most stupid things you've said recently.

Secularism exists, humanism exists, gods however, have yet to be observed. Not quite sure why you think anyone has to prove gods are illusions since without any observation they are clearly illusionary, or can you show one to prove they aren't?

Cris said:
sam,

Well that's among the most stupid things you've said recently.

Secularism exists, humanism exists, gods however, have yet to be observed. Not quite sure why you think anyone has to prove gods are illusions since without any observation they are clearly illusionary, or can you show one to prove they aren't?

I've discussed this idea in the problem of religion thread, if you care to see what I mean.

sam,

I've discussed this idea in the problem of religion thread, if you care to see what I mean.
But here in this context it is simply stupid. So no I'm not inclined to go searching for something that I don't see how you can justify.

Cris said:
sam,

But here in this context it is simply stupid. So no I'm not inclined to go searching for something that I don't see how you can justify.
well she just indicated how you can see how she is justified but you don't want to look

Refusing to look at evidence that is clearly valid... sounds like something a creationist might do.

imaplanck. said:
Yes that part is good, but will it help end religion? No! nothing will! that is because religion is not only a delusion it is an evolved predispotion - that is a synopsis that the Dawkster and the likes cannot even entertain

I think Dawkins and his like do entertain that, as do I. It's almost undeniable since the evidence is all around us!
Dawkins view is that belief in a God is not the problem as such, it's the blurring of religion and reality that can lead to social problems on a large scale. Perhaps religion is out of date, maybe human society no longer needs religion to function and grow, it could even be harming societies and the environment.

philosopher´s stone said:
Except, that Lord Insane just shot your ideas into smithereens !!!

;)

On the contrary he just took the liberty of joining two schools of scientific thought, namely the philosophical aspect of psychology and the reductionist paradigm of physicists, that are not actually compatible - so every time he was getting cornered in one side he would jump to the other

wsionynw said:
I think Dawkins and his like do entertain that, as do I. It's almost undeniable since the evidence is all around us!
Dawkins view is that belief in a God is not the problem as such, it's the blurring of religion and reality that can lead to social problems on a large scale. Perhaps religion is out of date, maybe human society no longer needs religion to function and grow, it could even be harming societies and the environment.
As far as I know of his work, he indeed doesn't believe religion is any more than a behaviour brought about by pure nurture, that is to say a behaviour resulting merely from bible pounding to an innocent child . All I can say is he convinces himself and others that this is true due to a deeply held belief that it can be eradicated or even curtailed.
As you say, look around you and see how it has spurted up in (as far as I know) every culture on earth, predominated virtually every culture and lived on through the renaissance, scientific revolution and is still alive and flourishing in the space/communication age.

lightgigantic said:
On the contrary he just took the liberty of joining two schools of scientific thought, namely the philosophical aspect of psychology and the reductionist paradigm of physicists, that are not actually compatible - so every time he was getting cornered in one side he would jump to the other

That´s funny , Light .....
No doubt, that Sam was the reductionist in this discussion , Sam tried to reduce EVERYTHING in human life down to evolution , by taking that standpoint she actually cornered herself ........She was dead wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Lord just informed her, how things had a much more complex structure than that - genes are not responsible for everything .....

HOW did you reach this conclusion - please explain it to me .....I am very curious about how you think ....
Also please explain to me about the two "schools" of scientific thoughts .....
AND MOST OF ALL , PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME , WHY THESE THOUGHTS ARE NOT ACTUALLY COMPATIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Do you believe some scientific thoughts to be more valuable than others - and not compatible to others .....when they are in the same field ....

Last edited:
philosopher´s stone said:
That´s funny , Light .....
No doubt, that Sam was the reductionist in this discussion , Sam tried to reduce EVERYTHING in human life down to evolution , by taking that standpoint she actually cornered herself ........She was dead wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Lord just informed her, how things had a much more complex structure than that - genes are not responsible for everything .....

HOW did you reach this conclusion - please explain it to me .....I am very curious about how you think ....
Also please explain to me about the two "schools" of scientific thoughts .....
AND MOST OF ALL , PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME , WHY THESE THOUGHTS ARE NOT ACTUALLY COMPATIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Do you believe some scientific thoughts to be more valuable than others - and not compatible to others .....when they are in the same field ....

I wonder if you can even see the fallacy you are indulging yourself in?

imaplanck. said:
As far as I know of his work, he indeed doesn't believe religion is any more than a behaviour brought about by pure nurture, that is to say a behaviour resulting merely from bible pounding to an innocent child . All I can say is he convinces himself and others that this is true due to a deeply held belief that it can be eradicated or even curtailed.
As you say, look around you and see how it has spurted up in (as far as I know) every culture on earth, predominated virtually every culture and lived on through the renaissance, scientific revolution and is still alive and flourishing in the space/communication age.

He does acknowledge that in our evolutionary and social history a belief in a higher power may have given our ancestors an advantage. He also believes as you say, that many people in this age are brainwashing their children into believing fairy tales, which in turn breeds another generation of theists.

samcdkey said:

Sad indeed.
Secularism and Humanism aren't beliefs.

Satyr said:
Dawkins is an imbecile…lightgigantic? ….brilliant.
Not such an imbecile... his book is No1 on Amazon UK, and making it to No.1 on Amazon.com. I think he's pretty shrewd - spreading his memes AND making £££s.

However, portraying himself as a persecuted and 'stigmatised' minority from the comfort of his Chair at Oxford University is stretching martyrdom a bit far.

Last edited:
Diogenes' Dog said:
Not such an imbecile... his book is No1 on Amazon UK, and making it to No.1 on Amazon.com.

Amazing. I never thought books slating the god delusion would be so popular. Also, Sami Harris' book is out in which he answers hate mail from Christians who read his first book. Currently ranked #4 on Amazon.com. I wonder if they will succeed in giving the passively religious something to think about...

I think he's pretty shrewd - spreading his memes AND making £££s.

You would never see a preacher doing that.

Back