Religions are morally wrong.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God."- James ( from the holy bible )
" Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened onto you. "- The holy bible.

It means that if you pray you will know. Anyways if you said God told you to make this thread, I would say you are a lier.

Then why are muhamed, jesus and that mormon dude not liars? You see I see them as you see me. Such claims are total shit, IMO - at least regarding anything true. It's not to say that such claims can't be totally useful from an evolutionary point of view, but that they are in no way representative of actual happenings. No man is a prophet of god to me, not that many don't have great intentions and such.

If you pray and pray and pray and pray you'll still not fit 5 dimensions into your head. It's simply outside our realm of possible comprehension. We cannot relate to the space, it's a consequence of existing as we do.

Since the proposed entity 'god' is outside our realm of possible comprehension, claims as to its qualities (outside its definition) are conjecture at best.

Wesmorris:

Since the proposed entity 'god' is outside our realm of possible comprehension, claims as to its qualities (outside its definition) are conjecture at best.

Few theologians claim God is outside of comprehension. In fact, the Ontological Argument is premised on God being comprehendable.

Wesmorris:

Few theologians claim God is outside of comprehension. In fact, the Ontological Argument is premised on God being comprehendable.

The only way around "my" argument IMO, would have to be from a gnostic.

I can't really argue with "I just know", since that means there's no room for discussion on the matter.

To me, the "flatland" point is insurmountable.

Wesmorris:

I think most theist say that God can be felt but
that god can be comprehended is another statement,
And you should first ask yourself what is to be comprehended?
and explain to us what do you mean by that.

I think most theist say that God can be felt

Somewhat silly IMO, as how would you know it's "god" that you're feeling? Doesn't it take one to know one?

but that god can be comprehended is another statement,

how about "clearly held in mind" or something like that? basically that's what the dictionary says. "to understand the nature or meaning of; grasp with the mind"

And you should first ask yourself what is to be comprehended?

Why would you presume I haven't done so?

and explain to us what do you mean by that.

Well to really get into the nuts and bolts of it is a whole book or five with a ton of conjecture I suppose. I'd say first however, that whatever it is to be comprehended must first possibly be relatable. One must be able to imagine it fairly clearly I'd think.

After that I'd say comprehension is a subjective, ordered relation of concepts that allow the processing of inputs related to a specific subject.

The flatland thing clearly points out the foibles of attempting to relate to something clearly beyond comprehension. IMO, the faithful are akin to the 2D creature that experienced 3D and tried to explain it to the others. How should they expect the others to believe them? It's clear that if I were to purport I'd been assigned this thread by god that I'd be called a liar. So why isn't everyone who makes the claim in the same boat? How would they know I was lying?

Meh.

wesmorris I was addressing the question to Prince_James but that's fine too :)

Somewhat silly IMO, as how would you know it's "god" that you're feeling? Doesn't it take one to know one?
I am saying that it is their claim.
They probably don't need to know, it is a feeling that for them is god.

how about "clearly held in mind" or something like that? basically that's what the dictionary says. "to understand the nature or meaning of; grasp with the mind"
"Clearly held in mind" sounds like feeling :p
Why would you presume I haven't done so?
Just in case
Well to really get into the nuts and bolts of it is a whole book or five with a ton of conjecture I suppose. I'd say first however, that whatever it is to be comprehended must first possibly be relatable. One must be able to imagine it fairly clearly I'd think.

After that I'd say comprehension is a subjective, ordered relation of concepts that allow the processing of inputs related to a specific subject.
do you think the possibility of processing of inputs is a necessary outcome of comprehension ?
The flatland thing clearly points out the foibles of attempting to relate to something clearly beyond comprehension. IMO, the faithful are akin to the 2D creature that experienced 3D and tried to explain it to the others. How should they expect the others to believe them? It's clear that if I were to purport I'd been assigned this thread by god that I'd be called a liar. So why isn't everyone who makes the claim in the same boat? How would they know I was lying?

Meh.
for you god can not be comprehended?
and if it is in some way possible, we would not know if we understood or not fro sure.
Is that right?

But do you think it is necessary to explain what god is?

you seem at first believe that comprehension is grasping by mind but then you want it to be expressible (processing of input)

Why not just say that comprehension of god could be beyond expressibility?

When prayer is just the experience of god, why not say: ok god exist. I did not know it was that simple :)

wesmorris I was addressing the question to Prince_James but that's fine too :)

pardon.

I am saying that it is their claim.
They probably don't need to know, it is a feeling that for them is god.
A feeling about a powerful idea, yah.

"Clearly held in mind" sounds like feeling :p

It is. Isn't everything, really? All in all, they are all that matters.

Just in case

Prudent.

do you think the possibility of processing of inputs is a necessary outcome of comprehension ?

Yes. Comprehension is a context that processes into a complicated feeling, basically.

for you god can not be comprehended?

For me there is no such entity. Simply the application of the term 'entity' doesn't make sense because it's attempting to describe something outside of time itself to which we are intrinsically bound. IMO, english.. maybe language itself, can't apply to something outside of the universe.

There's a hypothesis and a powerful idea called 'god', perhaps fundamental to that which is abstract. (e.g. any evolving species of entities with the capacity for abstract would stumble upon the idea at least eventually).

and if it is in some way possible, we would not know if we understood or not fro sure.
Is that right?

I think so. Given the whole "a sufficiently technologically advanced species could appear as 'gods' to less advanced species" thing, it seems plain that there is no basis for believing a claim of god should be correlated with god.

But do you think it is necessary to explain what god is?

Not really. I'm more interested in the effect of the belief. I understand god is a powerful idea that tangibly effects our species in epic scope. I find it trippy that an intangible can have such a powerful tangible effect.

you seem at first believe that comprehension is grasping by mind but then you want it to be expressible (processing of input)

it's both. the a mind comprehends (grasps), it can then process input through that comprehension.

Why not just say that comprehension of god could be beyond expressibility?

Because of the way it fits in my head. It doesn't read quite right to me, but I can't really argue with 'could be'. I'd say, is because the nature of the actuality of the being hypothesized would be necessarily unrelatable to potential human comprehension.

When prayer is just the experience of god, why not say: ok god exist. I did not know it was that simple :)

Well I wouldn't say it because it wouldn't be true. Okay I'd say it jokingly because I like to say random silly shit. I wouldn't say your conclusion follows from the premise because the premise includes the conclusion and round and round and such.

Last edited:
Depends on the claim but generally speaking, that's silly. Why? I don't have to believe those claims, or I can depending on plausibility, etc. Have you read flatland or do you at least get the gist? This gist of the story is the basis of my complaint. If you say you can picture a 5D something or other in your head I say you're full of shit. Same in relation to 'god'.
But we run into similar problems all over the place. "Do you know ________?" Fill in the blank. Your wife. Your boss. We often answer yes. Can one not know certain facets - a pun I suppose when thinking of flatland - of these beings without claiming to know all. Can one not have received information about these incredibly complex, endlessly investigatable creatures, from said creatures, despite the fact that there is much certainly temporarily unreachable about them and no doubt permanently out of reach also?

Well it might be annoying but surely I'd recover.
Yes, but 1) you know what I was gettting at and 2) there are people who are very skilled at reading emotions in people, often getting it right despite the honest claims of the ones they are watching. Later the claims are verified by the ones viewed.

Only the definition, omniscients, omnipotence, omnipresence, etc.
So the monotheist God, or really the theologists' God. But again, you are assuming that such a God could not convey information to individuals. Even a limited guy like myself is aware of things that I cannot convey to you. A whole world of memories and sensory experiences and internal states I cannot make accessible to you. Despite these unreachable, unencapsulatable portions of myself that I cannot convey, I can give you accurate information about myself, which you could then relay to others.
I can see your argument working against someone claiming to know God completely. Or to share God's perspective, etc.

I don't. Do you? I'm just talking shit that makes sense to me. I don't necessarily expect it to make sense to anyone else, but it's nice when it seems to happen. Knowledge is generally a matter of practicality I'd say. I know I exist, I know I have a wife, two kids, computer, cars, blah blah. Practically speaking, I'd never deny any of it. Philosophically speaking, it's a matter of my perception apparently meshing with theirs but with the twist that it's my perception doing the seeming.
My intention was to put what I see as your challenge back on you. I think your argument is based on ideas of what it must be like if there is a God. As if you know what the possible limitations are on communication with such a being. I see this as having as much hubris as the people you are criticizing, which is ironic in context.

I don't. Again, I'm speaking as to my perspective which is just as full of shit as anyone I suppose. I can tell you only how things seem to me.

Ibid. But this seems an oddly defensive take on what I am saying. Or a quick attempt to show that unlike theists you are willing to immediately bracket off your knowledge or ideas as potentially fallible - something some theists would also do, not all being unwilling to reveal doubt.

I am sure about this. (theist)
I am sure you cannot be sure (Wes).

One is sure about what is.
The other is sure about what is possible.

A later qualification that you are not really sure helps put your position in perspective, but as long as it is presented in similar certain terms it begs for the same questioning.

How frustrating would it be to present to tentativeness first?

I hope it is clear why I am asking this.

'I am tentative and I am sure you must be also.' has problems.

However to not present, yourself, Wes, as being sure they cannot be sure must seem like you are only allowed to throw a half-pulled punch. I am afraid that that may be the situation. I think your position allows you to only throw a half-pulled (tentative) punch.

If you stray from this. And plant your feel and use your whole body to throw a punch at the theists - IOW present yourself as SURE they cannot know - I feel compelled, by forces partially unknown, to challenge the cake and eat it tooness.

So there you are, encapsulated, as it were, a neo-solipsistic bubble outside which you can never be certain.

Last edited:
Solipsism.. it's retarded.

I worried to death about neo-solipsism as mentioned above, where someone is stated to be living in a "neo-solipsistic bubble". The old stuff I could cope wi
th but this neo stuff has me worried. Am I writing to myself ?

See 114 above !

But we run into similar problems all over the place. "Do you know ________?" Fill in the blank. Your wife. Your boss. We often answer yes. Can one not know certain facets - a pun I suppose when thinking of flatland - of these beings without claiming to know all.

Sure, but they can't validate it really besides with feelings. To know it does not make it 'objectively true' in the sense the knowledge is representative of something 'real'.

Can one not have received information about these incredibly complex, endlessly investigatable creatures, from said creatures, despite the fact that there is much certainly temporarily unreachable about them and no doubt permanently out of reach also?

Sure but generally the 'less material' or apparently unlikely the claim, the 'more evidence' is required to support it. If it seems fantastic, we'll likely have a hard time agreeing if you can't set it on the table for me to examine.

So the monotheist God, or really the theologists' God. But again, you are assuming that such a God could not convey information to individuals

No I'm saying that the individuals have no means to authenticate the source of information. There is only 'what they think happened' (assuming it only happened to them) and what other people think about what they say happened.

Even a limited guy like myself is aware of things that I cannot convey to you. A whole world of memories and sensory experiences and internal states I cannot make accessible to you. Despite these unreachable, unencapsulatable portions of myself that I cannot convey, I can give you accurate information about myself, which you could then relay to others.

Of course but this has little bearing on the point.

I can see your argument working against someone claiming to know God completely. Or to share God's perspective, etc.

I mean "at all" past the definition.

My intention was to put what I see as your challenge back on you. I think your argument is based on ideas of what it must be like if there is a God. As if you know what the possible limitations are on communication with such a being.

I take the ramifications of the definition and run with them. The only way to 'know god' is via faith, for if god himself made me right this thread, he did not tell me that is what he did. If I were to presume it, which i might were I a believer - then I'd be all solipsistic and whatnot. If god would have told me, I'd have to wonder why a god would need to pull such a dirty trick as to make me ponder what fantastic aliens had decided to communicate with my brain. I'd have to see psychologists and be generally ridiculed by people who called me a liar for saying I talk directly to god. True or not, the claim itself is enough to render serious doubt on any psyche to make the claim and far worse - no means of validation or authentication whatsoever if not for 'his' will to force 'belief' on others I encounter. I could just know it and never make the claim, maintaining my faith for myself and not requiring external validation. That could work but the charm quickly dispells under the first claim uttered to another person.

I see this as having as much hubris as the people you are criticizing, which is ironic in context.

I couldn't possibly know the limitations of such communication of course, but I do know what it is to be human, how society works, the relationship of a perspective to its environment, etc. It's from there that I make my argument. It's not about 'god' as you seem to be focusing on, it's about the claim - made by a person, how a person can know what they experience, etc. There are certain limitations on all that which I don't have to be god to 'know'.

Ibid. But this seems an oddly defensive take on what I am saying. Or a quick attempt to show that unlike theists you are willing to immediately bracket off your knowledge or ideas as potentially fallible - something some theists would also do, not all being unwilling to reveal doubt.

Which is really self contradictory to the whole faith thing but that's another story. The religious have no exclusive rights to faith. I have faith in reason and a reasonably strong faith in the validity of my perspective - at least in its utility to my survival function.

I am sure about this. (theist)
I am sure you cannot be sure (Wes).

One is sure about what is.
The other is sure about what is possible.

No I'm sure you can be sure about a lot of things. I'm just not sure that being sure stand for anything outside the context in which said sureness is established, see? I'm also not sure it makes much difference directly, but there are a lot of indirect implications in framing the argument. As a person, I grant that each person (including myself) can possess all the sureness ever, perhaps. I don't think however, that such sureness establishes anything in other potential surenesses, or anything 'real' about what is not within the context making the claim of sureness.

A later qualification that you are not really sure helps put your position in perspective, but as long as it is presented in similar certain terms it begs for the same questioning.

Sure.

How frustrating would it be to present to tentativeness first?

It's not particularly efficient in many ways. It depends on the goal of the presentation does it not? If I seek wisdom or Truth, I shall bear the almost sure inneficiency such as not to deny the truth of what I think I see. If I seek to get laid, putting the tentativeness first will almost surely contradict my goal.

'I am tentative and I am sure you must be also.' has problems.

But I'm not sure you must be also. I just think it so and recognize that the extent of my certainty in this regard can really only be my own context. I do not insist it and cannot nor would not command it from you. I'm pretty sure though, if you're already sure - there's little possible motive for one to enter such a conversation other that proving something to someone like their intellectual prowess, or simply to preach about what they know.

However to not present, yourself, Wes, as being sure they cannot be sure must seem like you are only allowed to throw a half-pulled punch. I am afraid that that may be the situation. I think your position allows you to only throw a half-pulled (tentative) punch.

I agree. It's because though - I could not decide for you if you wanted me to. I present my argumentative bullshit and see what happens. Often it leads to pretty interesting shit to me, so...

I don't want to punch you or prove you wrong really. I just wonder how my thoughts apply in other contexts and find amusement in the folly of thinking them relevant to more than just my own context.

If you stray from this. And plant your feel and use your whole body to throw a punch at the theists - IOW present yourself as SURE they cannot know - I feel compelled, by forces partially unknown, to challenge the cake and eat it tooness.

Nah I like a lot of theists. I have no need to steal their theism from them or punch it. I'm long since past it. There are a lot of opportunity costs for any choice and sometimes I think theists have it right. Not that there is any factuality behind their belief, but that their belief is factually impactfull on the world in a locally cohesive way.. and with their belief comes a strength I can't really know. I think it's kind of neat really, but have known since i was a child that religion just doesn't work for me.

So there you are, encapsulated, as it were, a neo-solipsistic bubble outside which you can never be certain.

You don't seem to understand but maybe the thing a few paragraphs back cleared it up. I can be dead certain about anything. It's generally simply wrong generally wrong when I impose my certainty onto others, as religions do. I think though that if you are susceptable to religious thought, you will be religious and really, it's that simple.

Of course the exception to the certainty thing is when direct mortal threats are involved. If I see something about to hurt you drastically and can help you, I feel obligated to do so. "hey look out man!", etc. Religions do the same thing, but on a wholly different basis - nothing direct, nothing tangible.

Sure, but they can't validate it really besides with feelings. To know it does not make it 'objectively true' in the sense the knowledge is representative of something 'real'.
Who are we talking about here?

Sure but generally the 'less material' or apparently unlikely the claim, the 'more evidence' is required to support it. If it seems fantastic, we'll likely have a hard time agreeing if you can't set it on the table for me to examine.
This assumes a neutral starting point.

No I'm saying that the individuals have no means to authenticate the source of information. There is only 'what they think happened' (assuming it only happened to them) and what other people think about what they say happened.
That's actually not what you are saying. I have less problem with this. What you were saying, unless I missed it completely, was that they could not know. You are shifting the topic from their position in relation to themselves and their position in relation to you or other 'outsiders'. It certainly seemed like you were taking an objective stance in relation to what they could possibly know, given that God is this or that. I see this shift you just made happen time and again. There is strong desire to say that they must be making wild assumptions, but really a person with your philosophy can only focus on how you work with their claims. Once you step across the divide and say that they can't know what they know, you are claiming precisely the kind of objectivity you think they cannot have. If you are not saying this then I have misunderstood your position and I no longer disagree. If you have simply been saying YOU have no reason to be convinced, well, that's obvious, and I agree.

Of course but this has little bearing on the point.
I disagree. I think it is an area you want to feel confident about claims to know.

I mean "at all" past the definition.
And I think the same arguments could be made for knowing about any being, even humans close to us.

I take the ramifications of the definition and run with them. The only way to 'know god' is via faith,
And this is where you are making a claim to know what is possible between God and humans. You know that there can be no contact with real communication. How do you know what is possible?

If I were to presume it, which i might were I a believer - then I'd be all solipsistic and whatnot. If god would have told me, I'd have to wonder why a god would need to pull such a dirty trick as to make me ponder what fantastic aliens had decided to communicate with my brain.
More assumptions about the nature of the communication and how it would have to be experienced.

I'd have to see psychologists and be generally ridiculed by people who called me a liar for saying I talk directly to god.
More assumptions.

True or not, the claim itself is enough to render serious doubt on any psyche to make the claim and far worse - no means of validation or authentication whatsoever if not for 'his' will to force 'belief' on others I encounter.
And more. In fact one could make a nice case for saying that you clearly have a lot of fear about 'what it would mean if'. Given what we know about psychology and how people can keep themselves from noticing certain things if noticing certain things make them scared, you own judgements about what would happen and must happen and what it would have to be like open the door for examining the roots of your beliefs and not believing.

I cannot stress enough how your certainty about what is neutral ground is a factor in how you experience things. You know what a neutral starting point is from which you can evaluate ideas - and even your own experiences or lack of them. How can you be so certain about what a neutral starting point is from which you use your rational tools? I see everyone, every single person, as religious. They may or may not have a God in their system, but this seems like a small point to me. They all know what is a neutral starting point and what is not and they all have intuitive faith in their intellectual lifestyle. In yours this is shown by your faith in your ability to know what is neutral and from this you can disregard, perhaps even not notice your fears and assumptions as fears and assumptions, and also in your claims to know what is really going on in believers and what is possible for them to experience. I then think you gloss over how this 'knowing' does not sit easily with your philosophy. I think part of the mental ecology that maintains this pattern is your occasionally saying that you cannot be sure about certain things or that you are simply tossing out ideas. You take brief objective views of yourself and this stabilizes your sense of being less dogmatic. (I realize this is rather harsh an analytical in ways that may seem mean or unfair, but I wrote this last after reading your later ideas about theists susceptibility which seems of the same ilk to me. I am afraid I take some of your apparent flexibility much as I would take certain Victorian politenesses that were misleading about essential relations.)

I could just know it and never make the claim, maintaining my faith for myself and not requiring external validation. That could work but the charm quickly dispells under the first claim uttered to another person.
If you are dependent on somehow converting others or having them accept that what you believe is true. If however you were content on your own or with others who have had similar experiences this is not the case.
I couldn't possibly know the limitations of such communication of course, but I do know what it is to be human, how society works, the relationship of a perspective to its environment, etc. It's from there that I make my argument. It's not about 'god' as you seem to be focusing on, it's about the claim - made by a person, how a person can know what they experience, etc. There are certain limitations on all that which I don't have to be god to 'know'.
I am not claiming that you are claiming to be a god, given what you claim to know. I am saying that you are stating as certain that no communication could take place between a God and person. I don't see how you could know this, especially given your own tentative philosophy.

No I'm sure you can be sure about a lot of things. I'm just not sure that being sure stand for anything outside the context in which said sureness is established, see? I'm also not sure it makes much difference directly, but there are a lot of indirect implications in framing the argument. As a person, I grant that each person (including myself) can possess all the sureness ever, perhaps. I don't think however, that such sureness establishes anything in other potential surenesses, or anything 'real' about what is not within the context making the claim of sureness.

I think you missed my point. My point was not focused on the sureness per se, but on the sureness about what is removed from you, given your philosophy about what you can know. You really cannot know what is possible in such a communication. I think many atheists think that saying what is and what is not possible is less a claim to knowledge than claims about what is. But this is not the case. You are claiming to know for sure what a God, if one existed, would be capable of and what all other humans are capable of and thus what the limitations of a communication would be between humans and God. I mean it makes me think of dogs that can smell cancer and very good poker players and how an island of color blind might treat an outsider.

It's not particularly efficient in many ways. It depends on the goal of the presentation does it not? If I seek wisdom or Truth, I shall bear the almost sure inneficiency such as not to deny the truth of what I think I see. If I seek to get laid, putting the tentativeness first will almost surely contradict my goal.
It will reduce your 'scores' but 1) you are not correct - I speak from experience and 2) those connections may very well be on firmer ground. Many men don't notice that the sex is not as good when the ground is not firm, but, well, so what.

But I'm not sure you must be also.
Then I have no problem with your position. You are not sure I or theists must be unsure or tentative. Now I consider your position consistant. Before it seemed like you were sure they could not know.

I just think it so and recognize that the extent of my certainty in this regard can really only be my own context. I do not insist it and cannot nor would not command it from you. I'm pretty sure though, if you're already sure - there's little possible motive for one to enter such a conversation other that proving something to someone like their intellectual prowess, or simply to preach about what they know.
I think there is little point in trying to get someone to believe in God or to not believe in God, for example, unless the 'to be convinced' has expressed an interest in some way in shifting their position.
I don't want to punch you or prove you wrong really. I just wonder how my thoughts apply in other contexts and find amusement in the folly of thinking them relevant to more than just my own context.
OK. My poorly chosen metaphor. But I think if you look back over your posts you will see why I might have thought you were making a case that you know they cannot have communicated to or been communicated to by God.

Nah I like a lot of theists. I have no need to steal their theism from them or punch it. I'm long since past it. There are a lot of opportunity costs for any choice and sometimes I think theists have it right. Not that there is any factuality behind their belief, but that their belief is factually impactfull on the world in a locally cohesive way.. and with their belief comes a strength I can't really know. I think it's kind of neat really, but have known since i was a child that religion just doesn't work for me.
Not that you believe there is any factuality in their beliefs.

You don't seem to understand but maybe the thing a few paragraphs back cleared it up. I can be dead certain about anything. It's generally simply wrong generally wrong when I impose my certainty onto others, as religions do. I think though that if you are susceptable to religious thought, you will be religious and really, it's that simple.
See this comes across as knowing what is really going on in 'them'. Again. I cannot see what you gain from on occasion saying you really are not sure. You are a believer. You know what the basis of their beliefs really is and must be. You know their psyhology, not just as trends or in individuals, but in believers as a whole. And you know that your position is distinct from their in that is not based on suseptibility or, I guess one could call it, temperment. You clearly to not have a problem knowing other minds and what they could possibly directly experience.

I can't imagine new ground coming out of this - because it seems to me you are being a bit dodgy. You can't really know for sure, and then a paragraph later blanket statements about the roots of their beliefs and, essentially a condescending universal theory about why they believe and are susceptible ( and implicitly that you are not - sort of a Calvinism in reverse. My sense is that your epistemology is lax in relation to yourself and does not meet the same rigorous demands you expect from theists in relation to what they know. I don't think the occasional but I can't really know outburst changes this. You know what is possible. Period. And I am an atheist in relation to your claims about what is possible.
Bye.

Last edited:
Back