Religion, Evolution, and stupid Republicans

The majority's consensus is that PI isn't a religious question but a mathematical question, I think.

All sorts of things can be construed as religious questions but teaching science should be based on science rather than whether people consider it to be religious.

Again, whether the earth is flat or not isn't a religious question.

There was a court case in the 1920's (I think it was the 1920's, I can look it up) where the judge decided that it was wrong to teach that the earth is round because, according to the judge, the Bible says the earth is flat.

Why would a teacher teach evolution as fact when it's just a theory based upon evidence?

Do you think atomic theory should be taught as fact?

Evolution is apparent in bacteria, birds(such as those found in the Galapagos)horses, camels, and just about every other animal.

It is apparent in humans. Australeopithecus, Cro-Magnon, Neanderthal, and several different sub stages and intermediate stages of humans have been found. You cannot claim that those didn't exist-there is fossil evidence. Now, how did one stage of human proceed on to the next? It wasn't just a sudden, random change. It wasn't that one died out and then another was formed. How? Evolution. Now, even if God did create the most primitive man, something had to make it advance. Evolution. Either that, or God created the first stage, wiped it out, created the second, wiped it out, created the third, and so on.

Evolution does not imply that we are decendants of monkeys(even though primitive man was very, very similar), but rather there is a common ancestor. Either is possible. BUt do not defeat it on the first premise.

Evolution is not a religious question either, but a biological one.
Depends. If you were to say Evolution is an absolutely fact, then Evolution clearly is a belief on par with religion. If, however, Evolution is taught as a scientific theory with evidence, then it's not.

You think science classes should make exceptions for anything that anybody considers to be religious?
No, the truth is Evolution doesn't have 100% proof. Accordingly, teachers should be mindful that others might not belief Evolution occurred.

What the Greek fundamentalists meant was ethics based on reasoning rather than religion.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Greek fundamentalist". Fundamentalism is a new concept in religion. What fundamentalist oppose is complex, allegorical theology. That said, you can't have an ethics based on reasoning. Reasoning to what end? Evil, good. Sure, from some type of principles, reasoning can extend those principles; but then those principles would become the base of the ethical system.

The God of the Bible is extremely unethical at times. He causes people to sin and then punishes other people for that sin. (2Samuel 24 and several other places as well) According to Revelation God slays most of the people on the planet and sentences them to eternal torment......how unethical can you get?
God doesn't cause people to sin. Without Him people sin; so when God leaves people, their hearts have hardned.

Would you say the same about atomic theory? The Pythagorean theorum?
Throckmorton, Pythagorean's theorem is a case in point because it makes no real predictions. Spatial distances could be made up of discrete elements. It might be impossible to have a flat space. Furthermore, for a student to reject Pythagorean's theorem, he'd have to question logic itself; for the premises are explicity Euclid's axioms. On the other hand, atomic theory, like Evolution, is a theory that fits observable evidence. It too shouldn't be taught as fact; it isn't fact.

Evolution is apparent in bacteria, birds(such as those found in the Galapagos)horses, camels, and just about every other animal.
John Galt, the best you can say is that descendents share common physical makeup, and so, overtime, those descendents who have favorable traits will live while others will die out. Whether you accept the fossil evidence, however, depends on your premises. If for one of your premises you believe the Devil will go to great lengths to plant evidence and God will allow him, then the fossil evidence isn't really evidence.

Accordingly, teachers should be mindful that others might not belief Evolution occurred.

You're saying that science teachers should be mindful anytime someone doesn't believe a scientific theory? Would that apply to quantum theory?

Teaching science should involve just that. You wouldn't recomend a teacher being "mindful" of students who don't believe that 0.3 squared=0.09 would you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Greek fundamentalist".

I wasn't the one who first used the term. I read it in Will Durant's "The Life of Greece". I assume Durant meant "One who attacks any deviation from certain doctrines and practices he considers essential (as to a religious, political, or educational system)"-Websters

That said, you can't have an ethics based on reasoning.

Yes you can.

God doesn't cause people to sin.

According to the Bible he does. (2Samuel 24, Ezekiel 20:25-26, Ezekiel14:9) The Bible says so in so many words.

It too shouldn't be taught as fact; it isn't fact.

You don't think that students should be taught that molecules are made of atoms in certain fixed proportions. Do you think that 100 level Chemistry students should be encouraged to make up their own mind about what molecules consist of? Are you saying that all those PhD chemistry professors I studied under were wrong telling me that molecules are made of atoms in certain fixed proportions?

If for one of your premises you believe the Devil will go to great lengths to plant evidence and God will allow him, then the fossil evidence isn't really evidence.

Your "Devil premise" isn't based on any evidence whatsoever. There is abundant evidence that shows that the fossil record depicts evolution.

Last edited:
okinrus,

Depends. If you were to say Evolution is an absolutely fact, then Evolution clearly is a belief on par with religion. If, however, Evolution is taught as a scientific theory with evidence, then it's not.

Actually, no it doesn't depend. Evolution has nothing to do with religion. Religious people make evolution about religion. People who aren't religious just use evolution as yet another nail in the coffin of religion.

Another mistake is your belief that religion is 100% fact, to which the fact of evolution should be compared. It is the other way around. Evolution is by far the more realistic, real world explanation as to why we are here- not even going into the MOUNTAINS of evidence supporting evolution.

It has nothing to do with 'belief'.

Religion has the onus of proof upon it. Evolution shouldn't be compared to religion, religion should be compared to evolution.

staples

Further to my point in response to this:
okrinus said:
Why would a teacher teach evolution as fact when it's just a theory based upon evidence?
The great immunologist Maurice Hilleman died on Monday aged 85. I quote from his Daily Telegraph obituary.
Over a 40-year career, Helliman developed some three dozen vaccines, probably saving more lives than any other scientist in the 20th century.
Emphasis mine. Further down are details of Hilleman's early life:
Surrounded by farm animals, Hilleman took an early interest in biology, but his efforts to broaden his knowledge were regarded with suspicion by the fundamentalist Missouri Synod Luthern Chuch to which his family belonged. One Sunday he was caught reaading Darwin's Origin of Speices by the minister, who tried to take the book away. Hilleman told him it belonged to the public library and threateaned to notify the authorities if he confiscated it.​
okrinus, this is why evolution is taught. Because the teaching of solid science leads to new achievement. Hilleman was no great genius, to be sure. He was in the right place at the right time. If it hadn't been him, it would have been someone else. But whoever it was would have had their interest in biology sparked by the beauties of the theory of evolution, not by a firm belief solely in Genesis. Genesis, as a biological theory, doesn't get you anywhere. It doesn't teach you anything useful about biology. To learn something useful about biology, you have to study and experiement with actual animals and plants, and what you learn ultimately conflicts with Genesis. You are then left with rejecting Genesis as a biological text book, in which role it was never intended in any case. Genesis just isn't a viable "alternative theory" to evolution and there's an end to it. It simply does not belong in biology classes.

Should Genesis be taught in schools? Of course it should! It's a major part of the Judeo-Christian cultural heritage.

okinrus said:
Most people would say how mankind was created is religious question. .
Absolutely correct. Accurately expressed. However, how man evolved is decidedly not a religious question, but a scientific one.

You forgot about Exodus-God hardened the pharohs heart. School isn't about teaching heritage-heritage is a school's antithesis. The heritage, say, of America(if you live in America), or Germany(if you live in Germany), should be taught. History should be taught. But, you don't teach heritage. There is no point in studying indians, except that they were wiped out(mostly). Their heritage has nothing to do with it, unless pointing out justifiable reasons for their wiping out. But, this is only my belief.

For those of you looking for an argument of evolutionism vs. creationism, pick up the book What is Creation Science?. Evolutionists beware-it has the most pitiful arguments for evolution you can imagine. It constantly says there is no noticeable evidence of evolution, that you can actually watch. However, they leave out bacteria. They botch up the general process of how evolution occurs also. If you feel up to it, however, it does give incite(can't spell that) as to what creationists are talking about.

Absolutely correct. Accurately expressed. However, how man evolved is decidedly not a religious question, but a scientific one.
Ophiolite, yes, I'm not saying that teachers shouldn't teach evolution, but that they shouldn't say it's absolutely correct. To do so isn't science--it's not even true. Instead of a teaching forcing students to believe, students should know the main premises and logical inferences used to derive the theory--they should be able to derive other facts assuming the theory is true--they also should be able to reject the theory, perhaps if their own premises differ or they don't find the logical inferences compelling.

Another mistake is your belief that religion is 100% fact, to which the fact of evolution should be compared. It is the other way around. Evolution is by far the more realistic, real world explanation as to why we are here- not even going into the MOUNTAINS of evidence supporting evolution.
staples disconnected, no, I never said that religion was 100% fact. What I said was that teaching specific beliefs or theories as if they are 100% fact, requiring others to believe so, can violate another's religious rights. Some of these religious beliefs are premises. Just because I believe a student has the right to believe in creationisms, that is, believing it 100% true, doesn't mean I do. My perspective is that this student's belief is his own premise, his own way of seeing the world. If we had no premises we would remain unable to believe anything, but we do have premises, the normal ones being belief that what we see exists. Others, we'd expect, would have different premises from ourselves. Furthermore, what you call mountains of evidence can be construed by others to be palour trick of the Devil. From a scientific perspective, you can reject such things outright; but from a religious perspective, one for which the Devil is out to deceive, it remains a possilbiity, however remote.

You don't think that students should be taught that molecules are made of atoms in certain fixed proportions. Do you think that 100 level Chemistry students should be encouraged to make up their own mind about what molecules consist of? Are you saying that all those PhD chemistry professors I studied under were wrong telling me that molecules are made of atoms in certain fixed proportions?
Throckmorton, the possilbity exists that they were all wrong. What I mean is, atomic theory holds up under observation, experimentation even, but no one knows absolutely whether atoms coorespond to reality. Even so, if atomic theory is flawed, your knowledge of the subject isn't necessarily obsolete. You may yet even teach history. And, for one thing, you'd still be able to make predictions. Perhaps like Newton's theory of gravity, you'd make pretty accurate predictions most of the time, and do so with sufficiently less wrong than your more complicated but correct theory.

the possilbity exists that they were all wrong.

Do you think that it should be taught in chemistry classes that water is H2O? Should students be taught that water may well be something besides H2O?

they also should be able to reject the theory, perhaps if their own premises differ or they don't find the logical inferences compelling.

You're saying that Med students should be told they should reject the germ theory of disease if they don't "find the logical inferences compelling." You're saying that pilots should be taught to ignore the laws of physics that pertain to flight if they don't find the "logical inferences compelling."

I suppose you'd advocate that pharmacists should be taught not to bother dispensing drugs based on the chemical makeup of the drugs in the prescription as atomic theory is optional in science classes.

Should courts reject DNA evidence if someone in the courtroom doubts the genetic theory of inheritance?

Last edited:
STOP IT! This argument can go on forever on both sides-making it utterly pointless to continue doing so. Find a different argument than "nothing's 100%provable(you can't support either one saying this)" or 'Should they be given an opinion on other things?". Because, although they should have to study one thing, the one more aligned to science, but they're not, and there's an infinite number of arguments for either side of this case. I have realized that most conspiracy theories are taught with their corresponding ones(unless it has already been solved, then only one is), several other theories in Science are taught along with others that are equally as valid, just as unprovable(like the 10,000 different string theories we have. Each one is valid enough, but there is not enough proof to prove ANY of them, and they will not work at all when put with another).

As to it being taught in school-creationism may be allowed IF that is as far as it goes. They say-God created man-and then they stop. No more, hopefully less. And, teach evolution to quite an extent, considering that is what's needed to understand it.

Every creationist book my parents have eventually(sometimes by the end of the first 3 pages)disproves evolutionism by somehow proving God had to create the universe, and therefore man also. WRONG!, and every single book has it. If god created the universe(plausible, as it is neither infinite nor can something come out of nothing), he could have stopped there. He might have started the universe, but then allowed its natural laws to take control-having them form life, not him. No book even considers this a posibility.

Now, as to evolution itself-is it masked traits or random mutations? I was taught that all the traits of a species are present, but some are more dominant and those traits that are dominant are bad, then they get wiped out, leaving the recessive, better traits behind. Or, a direct reaction to the environment(Melanin making darker shades to ward off ultra violent rays). Random mutations was never a taught cause to me. Is it really a considerable part of evolution, or are these books by "credible" evolutionist gone creationist scientists botching the idea?

creationism may be allowed IF that is as far as it goes.

Why should something that isn't science be taught as if it were science? We might as well teach astrology as an "alternative theory" to physics.

okinrus said:
Ophiolite, yes, I'm not saying that teachers shouldn't teach evolution, but that they shouldn't say it's absolutely correct. To do so isn't science--it's not even true. Instead of a teaching forcing students to believe, students should know the main premises and logical inferences used to derive the theory--they should be able to derive other facts assuming the theory is true--they also should be able to reject the theory, perhaps if their own premises differ or they don't find the logical inferences compelling.
There isnt too much wrong with this, except that what I've seen over on Pandas thumb, is that a lot of people reject evolution not on scientific grounds, but because they cant see how it could have happened. The problem is their reasoning from disbelief. The starting point is not "This is odd, I wonder whether it is correct or not" but more like" I dont think this is right at all ebcause I cant understand it" or suchlike.

Its also quite nice watching people get all post-modernist about science, when their normal make up seems to be the opposite. For example even Okinrus says "if their own premises differ" which might well suggest that he shoudl stop debating this topic now, since his premises clearly differ from everyone elses here. But ultimately use of the scientific method goes beyond differing premises, to "what works and what doesnt". Thus, a dissenting student who dissents for no good scientific reason will likely be ridiculed.

Or perhaps we should give astrology equal time?

It's not necessarily religion though. Sure, it insists upon God, which is religion, but it also insts upon how the universe was started, science.

Do you think that it should be taught in chemistry classes that water is H2O? Should students be taught that water may well be something besides H2O?
A chemist may define water to be H2O, in which case it's not really up to debate, being a premise. But for other situations, what we call water is basically a chemist's definition of water plus minerals and perhaps salt.

As to it being taught in school-creationism may be allowed IF that is as far as it goes. They say-God created man-and then they stop. No more, hopefully less. And, teach evolution to quite an extent, considering that is what's needed to understand it.
I agree, creationism shouldn't be taught because it's not yet a scientific theory. It's not testable and likely infringes on someone's religious beliefs moreso than Evolution. But just because it's not science doesn't mean it's not true.

You're saying that Med students should be told they should reject the germ theory of disease if they don't "find the logical inferences compelling." You're saying that pilots should be taught to ignore the laws of physics that pertain to flight if they don't find the "logical inferences compelling."
Throckmorton, how many flight simulators use the theory of relativity? Science is just a matter of creating a model that cooresponds to reality, to experimentation. Science never tells us whether a model is absolutely correct. And, even if we knew that a model cooresponds to reality exactly, we still do not know whether the model is reality.

but it also insts upon how the universe was started, science.

Creationionism a religious rather than a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe.

Religious explanations are way cool but it's silly confuse them with science. It's dishonest to teach religious explanations as if they were science.

it's not really up to debate, being a premise.

It's a fact.....water is H2O.

But just because it's not science doesn't mean it's not true.

All sorts of things are true that have nothing to do with science. I consider the Bible to be full of profound truths but they aren't truths of the scientific sort.

Throckmorton, how many flight simulators use the theory of relativity?

I wasn't refering to relativity. I was thinking in terms of the Bournoulli effect and the fact that air gets less dense as the temperature goes up which decreases lift along with various force equations and whatnot.

we still do not know whether the model is reality.

Good science is about mountains of evidnence rather than absolute truth. H2O is a scientific fact as is genetic change over time (evolution). If one can refer to anything as a "facts" one can refer to those two ideas that way.

It's a fact.....water is H2O.
What a chemist calls water is clearly different from what someone else might. Often, sea water and tap water are called water, even though there're a mixture of H2O, salt, and minerals.

I wasn't refering to relativity. I was thinking in terms of the Bournoulli effect and the fact that air gets less dense as the temperature goes up which decreases lift along with various force equations and whatnot.
I don't know what you mean by air getting less dense. If air is contained within a fixed space, the density won't change because heating the air will change neither the mass nor the volume of the air.

Yes, but the water hasn't actually bonded with the other chemicals, and so the water part of it is still H20.

Now, if you want a petty argument for why religion is science(and why evolution isn't), pick up that book I said, What is Creation Science?.

The both of you can't continue arguing like this, neither of you will get anywhere. Each statement can answer the last, no matter how complicated you make it. But, if you want to keep disputing, go right ahead(please don't).

Now, before I continue, I want to know how evolution works. Is it random mutations or is it masked traits becoming apparent after those that had that trait masked dieing out?

What a chemist calls water is clearly different from what someone else might.

Water is H2O.......That's a fact. Atomic theory is, and should be, taught as fact.

"I don't know what you mean by air getting less dense."

As the air around us heats up the molecules get farther apart due to increased molecular motion. Planes are not allowed to fly above a certain temperature (I think it's 115 or 120 F) because the planes won't be supported by air. Heat is motion!

Back