Refute of the Proof That the Christian God Does Not Exist

Patriot

Registered Senior Member
First of all, I would like to thank those on the previous thread regarding the "proof" that the Christian God cannot exist that have stayed germane and relevant, not going off on a tangent. I had to create a new thread in order to ensure that attention would be paid to this refute of the topic, as opposed to all of the political "spam" that has arisen in that thread.

Now, without further ado, a possible "refutation" of the so-called "proof". (This free will - omnisicience 'paradox' has been around for centuries, and has never proven anything, and may never will ). When one is paying attention to the omniscience of the Ultimate Being (from now on referred to as God), one must first define the definition of "omniscience". Now, the original "proof" poster posited the following:

Omniscience: Perfect knowledge of past and future events.

I tend to disagree with this assessment. First of all, I would like to present to you the following:

Omniscience: Simultaneous, complete knowledge of all that is knowable at all given points in space and time.

The difference here is that some things are not knowable. This would, in this definition, include the outcome of free choices. For example, noone on Earth knows who they are going to marry before they actually do so. Before the choice is made, probabilities only exist. Those probabilities may be extremely high, but sometimes, unforseen causes create otherwise impossible effects (for instance, sudden death of the husband/wife-to-be). If the person making the choice is unable to provide anything but probabilities, then the knowledge must not exist until the choices effects are actually resolved.

That being said, I am more than positive that you are now thinking about God' s role in this. Am I saying that He does not know our choices until we make them? Yes. In a way. Omniscience, according to the definition given above, relies on the externality of God with respect to not only time, but space as well. For instance, one may know anything at midnight, but at 1am, if the person knows nothing, then that person is not omniscient. Omniscient, by very word morphology means "all-knowing". It is also consistent with popular belief that knowledge transcends time and space (ie: historical facts). If this is to be true, complete, simultaneous knowledge must then be known by an eternal being. If the above definition is accepted, an eternal being is the ONLY being possible to have obtained it. Therefore, we have then required that whatever is omniscient be eternal. If, for the sake of argument, we are assuming God is omniscient, we must then assign Him the characteristic of timelessness.

That being said, we move on to the definition of free will. As stated before,

Free Will: the freedom to choose between alternatives without external coercion

This definition is somewhat cohesive, once analyzed. The very nature of the word "choose" implies that the alternatives are presented, and then further action ceases until the choice is made, whether there is coercion or not. This requires the chooser to be inside time, given the very nature of "choice". But, wait, you say: doesn't God have free will?

Of course, but he is also omnipotent. He can enter and exit time at will. We call this breaking of the temporal plane a "miracle", however it manifests itself. Often times, this miracle is also a result of God's will overriding, if you will, previously set "laws of nature", or even our own free will. Miracle has a positive connotation because of the ever-beneficence of God's will. He will never do wrong.

Returning to free will versus omnipotence, this states that we have free will as long as God never interferes. The above also states that God is omniscient, as long as he chooses to remain outside of time. In the instances we see otherwise, such as miracles (the interference of God's will with our own), or even the entry of God into time (Jesus' limited knowledge as recorded in the Bible), it can now be readily recognized and understood.

The key is to not label God's omnisicence as "foreknowledge" or "predetermined" because, those terms place God into time, which is contradictory to the definition and encompassment of "omniscient".

Looking forward to comments:

-Derek

Patriot said:
First of all, I would like to thank those on the previous thread regarding the "proof" that the Christian God cannot exist that have stayed germane and relevant, not going off on a tangent. I had to create a new thread in order to ensure that attention would be paid to this refute of the topic, as opposed to all of the political "spam" that has arisen in that thread.

Now, without further ado, a possible "refutation" of the so-called "proof". (This free will - omnisicience 'paradox' has been around for centuries, and has never proven anything, and may never will ). When one is paying attention to the omniscience of the Ultimate Being (from now on referred to as God), one must first define the definition of "omniscience". Now, the original "proof" poster posited the following:

Omniscience: Perfect knowledge of past and future events.

I tend to disagree with this assessment. First of all, I would like to present to you the following:

Omniscience: Simultaneous, complete knowledge of all that is knowable at all given points in space and time.

The difference here is that some things are not knowable. This would, in this definition, include the outcome of free choices. For example, noone on Earth knows who they are going to marry before they actually do so. Before the choice is made, probabilities only exist. Those probabilities may be extremely high, but sometimes, unforseen causes create otherwise impossible effects (for instance, sudden death of the husband/wife-to-be). If the person making the choice is unable to provide anything but probabilities, then the knowledge must not exist until the choices effects are actually resolved.

That being said, I am more than positive that you are now thinking about God' s role in this. Am I saying that He does not know our choices until we make them? Yes. In a way. Omniscience, according to the definition given above, relies on the externality of God with respect to not only time, but space as well. For instance, one may know anything at midnight, but at 1am, if the person knows nothing, then that person is not omniscient. Omniscient, by very word morphology means "all-knowing". It is also consistent with popular belief that knowledge transcends time and space (ie: historical facts). If this is to be true, complete, simultaneous knowledge must then be known by an eternal being. If the above definition is accepted, an eternal being is the ONLY being possible to have obtained it. Therefore, we have then required that whatever is omniscient be eternal. If, for the sake of argument, we are assuming God is omniscient, we must then assign Him the characteristic of timelessness.

That being said, we move on to the definition of free will. As stated before,

Free Will: the freedom to choose between alternatives without external coercion

This definition is somewhat cohesive, once analyzed. The very nature of the word "choose" implies that the alternatives are presented, and then further action ceases until the choice is made, whether there is coercion or not. This requires the chooser to be inside time, given the very nature of "choice". But, wait, you say: doesn't God have free will?

Of course, but he is also omnipotent. He can enter and exit time at will. We call this breaking of the temporal plane a "miracle", however it manifests itself. Often times, this miracle is also a result of God's will overriding, if you will, previously set "laws of nature", or even our own free will. Miracle has a positive connotation because of the ever-beneficence of God's will. He will never do wrong.

Returning to free will versus omnipotence, this states that we have free will as long as God never interferes. The above also states that God is omniscient, as long as he chooses to remain outside of time. In the instances we see otherwise, such as miracles (the interference of God's will with our own), or even the entry of God into time (Jesus' limited knowledge as recorded in the Bible), it can now be readily recognized and understood.

The key is to not label God's omnisicence as "foreknowledge" or "predetermined" because, those terms place God into time, which is contradictory to the definition and encompassment of "omniscient".

Looking forward to comments:

-Derek
M*W: You are lost, and you are a liar. There is no god. It's questionable that you even exist.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: You are lost, and you are a liar. There is no god. It's questionable that you even exist.
Now if a Christian posted something as ignorant as this on the "Proof That the Christian God Does Not Exist" thread, I'm sure all of the atheists would quickly get on their case.

But since a person atheistic in nature posts it, none of the atheists will say anything.

Last edited:
VitalOne said:
Now if a Christian posted something as ignorant as this on the "Proof That the Christian God Does Not Exist" thread, I'm sure all of the atheists would quickly get on their case.

But since a person atheistic in nature posts it, none of the atheists will say anything.

Well i don't believe in atheism or God so i am on neutral ground here.

All i have to say is this.

Humans do have free choice and it is made apparent in the first few pages of the Bible. God makes it very clear to Adam that eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge is forbidden. This can be likened to sitting a child in front of a cake and telling them not to eat it. Why put it there if you did not want them to make a choice. Anyway, Eve was also given the choice and she chose to eat.She then gave Adam a choice and he chose to eat too. Also God comes down to the garden and asks them why they are hidng and ashamed of their nakedness which if the Bible is to be taken literally suggests that God does not know all and everything or else he wouldn't have to ask, he could have simply told Adam i have made you but you are all ruined the minute you eatthis apple on this tree that the snake will offer your wife and she will take and give to you!! So forget God and Satan for a second and imagine the Bible as a book of moral codes, ideals and human psychology. God becomes one side of the psyche and Satan the other [i know this has been done already]. Neither of them exist in a shape, form, smell, etc. They just are. Eve made her decision through free will which would suggest the above theory is then correct but it is only correct if you are looking at God as a deity.

What if there is a God behind God? A force that actually has no concern for us humans.The force is both good and bad, weak and powerful, black and white, etc. The force is all and everything is the force. It keeps balance and that is all. We choose our destiny, the force determines it without previously knowing what we would choose, it just does what it does.

For example:
If i choose to stop smoking because i fear i may die of lung cancer and give up tonight then i made the choice myself and in a couple of months i should feel better. My body will be almost clear of all the toxins but then the force that is balancing everything in the universe has put cancer in me anyway. I thought what i was doing was going to benefit me and it did but i based my choice on being afraid of the disease i was facing with my 20 a day habit and it came to me anyway. I chose to stop smoking but i didn't choose to suffer from cancer. Nature did. We all have to work together with nature and the universe in order for it to work.

We have free will and the force has a balance to keep. They don't always work together in harmony but that is why the scales never tip to one side.

I apologise for my crap example of what my point is but it is 6am here in Scotland and i am tired.

sorry this was actually supposed to go into the other thread on the same subject. I think it might work in here too?

Last edited:
Patriot,

Strictly speaking this isn't a refutation since you have redefined the basis of the original thread. This is effectively a new debate.

Patriot,

The difference here is that some things are not knowable. This would, in this definition, include the outcome of free choices.
This is not clear because you go on to say -

… we must then assign Him the characteristic of timelessness.
I assume we can take this to mean he can be aware of every instant of time. It then follows then that he will be aware of the outcome of every choice since they will have occurred in time. This means that everything will be knowable and that conflicts with your earlier assertion that some things are not knowable.

How do you explain your contradictory statements?

You can redefine your God in any way you want that will make it logically possible of that God's existence.
But then there are an infinite number of logical possibilities (although Occam's Razor would suggest we take the one with least unknowns - i.e. the "no God" route.)
There is still no evidence of this God's existence - nor is this God any more or less likely than the infinite other logically possible "Gods".

I could define "God" as a large elephant upon which our Universe sits.
Please give the logical flaw in this argument?

The logical possibility of something is not evidence for or against existence.

And redefining the arguments of an original "proof" is not a refutation of that proof - but a separate topic.

First of all I would like to thank those who have corrected my incorrect labelling of the topic as a "refutation", I was in fact incorrect.

Secondly, I would like to thank Medicine Woman for her comments.

Thirdly, I would like to address Cris' comments that a couple of my comments are contradictory.

I assume we can take this to mean he can be aware of every instant of time. It then follows then that he will be aware of the outcome of every choice since they will have occurred in time. This means that everything will be knowable and that conflicts with your earlier assertion that some things are not knowable

Precisely! He becomes aware of the outcomes as they happen. However, since everything occurs at the same time for Him, at any point in His existence (I say "any point", because we really don't have 'outside of time language'), He is aware of the outcome of every choice. This is different than knowing the outcome of the choice.

From a Christian point of view, we can look at the persona of Jesus, who according to Christian doctrine is God in spacetime. He never knows the choices that people will make, even Judas. He knows that Judas is up to something, but does not know that Judas will do what he does. However, when you take Jesus outside of time (God), He is instantly aware of all outcomes because they occur forever and for always.

This "awareness of all time and outcomes" is different than "predestination". Predestination is a direct paradoxical definition of free will, but the awareness of all time and outcomes is simply the result of having an everpresent being.

Looking forward to comments

You guys are looking way too deep into this ...

God knows, but

He lets you choose for your OWN experience.

The experience of excersizing your ability to choose. They are your choices at the end of the day wether you believe He exists or not.

Why do people debate about wether you have the freedom to choose or not, when you freely choose to come here and discuss this, you should know you are free.

Question is, does God know it before it comes to pass--yea, so.

I don't see how people twist, God knowing, into predestination.

If God knows what you are going to choose, then actually choosing is only a formality. You don't know if you chose freely to discuss things here, or if circumstance led you to make that choice.

? u still choose regardless ... I don't see how that makes it a formality. Circumstance undoubtedly has influence in decision, but not unto compulsion.

Nobody has to do anything if they don't want to --- that's a choice as well. This still makes no sense. How people think that if God posseses knowledge-- or better yet-- can forsee the results,

how does that equate into not having freedom to choose?

Pretty much.

Well, more like the Maya

"Like the Aztec and Inca who came to power later, the Maya believed in a cyclical nature of time."

"Philosophically, the Maya believed that knowing the past meant knowing the cyclical influences that create the present, and by knowing the influences of the present one can see the cyclical influences of the future."

Nisus said:
You guys are looking way too deep into this ...

God knows, but

He lets you choose for your OWN experience.

The experience of excersizing your ability to choose. They are your choices at the end of the day wether you believe He exists or not.

Why do people debate about wether you have the freedom to choose or not, when you freely choose to come here and discuss this, you should know you are free.

Question is, does God know it before it comes to pass--yea, so.

I don't see how people twist, God knowing, into predestination.

...A rather naive reply. We still do not yet know if we have free will. I believe that if a devine power created our universe (IF), the God could well have time from zap till the end (if there is an end) detailed. A God I would assume have omnipresence... which would mean past and present. You can not assume God follows the same rule of time that he created for us.

If I strip off naked and run through the streets, that does not mean I have free will.

Let me put this another way...

Our way of thinking comes from a 3 pounds lump of grey matter... What is the relative comparison with that of 'God' (if he exists).... Still think you can relate to him?

? u still choose regardless ...

If I enable pacman to go north, south, east or west... does Pacman have free will? You will say life in this universe is more complex than that, and you would be right. But who says God does not think the same way about us? Relatively speaking...

VitalOne said:

M*W: And why is that you think? This is a science forum. Religion may be a sub-forum, but the idea is to discuss religion scientifically (if that is at all possible).

It's not that atheists don't know about christianity. The problem is that we do know about it, and that's why we're atheists.

Why has no one come up with a flaw in my redefining? Does this not rectify the argument of free will and omniscience? Does this not allow for the Christian God to still exist, along with free will of humanity? Everyone in the forums, self included often times, gets off track way too easy.

Patriot said:

The difference here is that some things are not knowable. This would, in this definition, include the outcome of free choices. For example, noone on Earth knows who they are going to marry before they actually do so.
The problem with redefining the term of Omniscience to suit your argument is that it longer actually means "Omniscient" - and hence the purpose of your argument, and indeed the entire message, is rather reduced.

By redefining the word Omniscience you are now saying something along the lines of "Free-will can exist if God is only knowledgable of everything other than the outcome of free choices".

I.e. you have effectively come to the conclusion that an Omniscient God and Free-will (as defined) can not co-exist.

The flaw in your redefining is in the redefining itself.
You can not redefine a word such as Omniscient to mean what you want it to.
The word has a definition. Either live with it or use another word.

"Philosophically, the Maya believed that knowing the past meant knowing the cyclical influences that create the present, and by knowing the influences of the present one can see the cyclical influences of the future."

The Mayans would have made good investors.

I dabble in tradiing stock, the stock market follows some trends, the challenge is to determine the outcome of a trend. We do this by analysing past events within a given stock one might choose to invest in, thus we look at past performance to determine future outcome.

Oh! well.

God does not exist. Untill the day the theists of all denominations can ever pull out of their arss an irrefutable, emperical proof that "IT" does. It's only then fantasy, and the bible is nothing more then ancient stories written by schitzophrenics.

Godless

Back