Quotes to remember

Did you mean: "must bend to its power" ?
I found the quote online and yes, “to” is in the original. Who knew how a two letter word could be so powerful if it were mistakenly omitted from this quote? lol

“Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of ‘not knowing.”
― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

"It is prudent for a man to abstain from threats or contemptuous expressions, for neither weaken the enemy: threats make him more cautious, and contemptuous remarks excite his hatred and a desire to avenge himself." —Niccolò Machiavelli, Discorsi, II, 1531

"The enormous multiplication of books in every branch of knowledge is one of the greatest evils of this age; since it presents one of the most serious obstacles to the acquisition of correct information, by throwing in the reader’s way piles of lumber, in which he must painfully grope for the scraps of useful matter, peradventure interspersed."—Edgar Allen Poe, Marginalia, 1844

"In a cottage of Fife, lived a man and wife, who, believe me, were comical folk; For to people’s surprise, they both saw with their eyes, and their tongues moved whenever they spoke!” -Infinity’s Shore (David Brin)

"For each ecstatic instant we must an anguish pay in keen and quivering ratio to the ecstasy. For each beloved hour sharp pittances of years, bitter contested farthings and coffers heaped with tears."
Emily Dikinson

"Pilgrims are encouraged to remember that the principle consumer of sheep is not wolves but shepherds."

-The Fall of Babel (Josiah Bancroft)

...now it's computers and more computers and soon everybody will have one, 3-year-olds will have computers and everybody will know everything about everybody else long before they meet them and so they won't want to meet them. nobody will want to meet anybody else ever again and everybody will be a recluse like I am now.

-The Continual Condition (Charles Bukowski)

"If the world doesn't come to an end in the next thirty or fourty years," he said, "we may be facing disaster."

-Spin (Robert Charles Wilson)

...now it's computers and more computers and soon everybody will have one, 3-year-olds will have computers and everybody will know everything about everybody else long before they meet them and so they won't want to meet them. nobody will want to meet anybody else ever again and everybody will be a recluse like I am now.

-The Continual Condition (Charles Bukowski)
Wow, he was spot on with that prediction. :redface:

“I want to make Romeo jealous. I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter, and grow sad.” - The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I read this book for a second time, recently and it’s definitely a classic, but a little cringe. Maybe that’s the point.

It is a horror story.
I know, but…there’s something else that just felt strange. Like, had no one in the story ever met a good looking guy before Dorian Gray? lol

The story has many layers of course, and I definitely liked the philosophical ideas that were woven throughout the plot like personal introspection/transformation, moral subjectivity and the mind games people play when considering their own mortality.

Last edited:
''A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.'' --Friedrich Nietzsche

“This world can seem marvelously convincing until death collapses the illusion and evicts us from our hiding place.”
― Sogyal Rinpoche, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

d5znVzX.jpg

Last edited:
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams; —
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

-Arthur O'Shaughnessy

“Time exists in order that everything doesn’t happen all at once…and space exists so that it doesn’t all happen to you.”
― Susan Sontag, At the Same Time: Essays and Speeches

L5BtKHB.jpg

Back