Questions on atheist morality

An advanced biology textbook would sound like a load of gibberish to me too, but I'm sure you would think otherwise. :p

If you're actually interested in Kantian morality, you'd have to either talk to someone who's more informed, do some independent research or take a class. I don't think I'm qualified to explain it properly. Either way though, my earlier point still stands. Not all atheists are utilitarian, as Kantian morality pretty much rejects utilitarianism. And, again, your question at the very end of the OP should be asked of utilitarians specifically, not atheists. I don't know if there are any utilitarians at sciforums.

I think Kantian models of morality are full of GIANT holes.

For one thing, he claims that reason governs motives. There is no evidence for this. Most of the time people follow David Hume and are "slaves to passion".

Second, he claims that moral principles must be independently derived and are absolutely necessary, then resorts to using empirically derived arguments to support his thesis.

IOW, Kant sucks.:D

Then what is the difference between judgement by circumstance, and religious judgement?

Why don't you answer the question in the OP and we can work from there?

I dont see why you were so missed.

You clearly don't see very well.;)

I think Kantian models of morality are full of GIANT holes.

For one thing, he claims that reason governs motives. There is no evidence for this. Most of the time people follow David Hume and are "slaves to passion".

Second, he claims that moral principles must be independently derived and are absolutely necessary, then resorts to using empirically derived arguments to support his thesis.

IOW, Kant sucks.:D

I'm no fan of (or expert on) Kant, but:

1. I'm pretty he says reason should govern motives, otherwise we run the risk of being immoral.

2. By independently derived, Kant means separating the motive from the action. While utilitarianism focuses entirely on the consequence of the action, Kant focuses entirely on the motive.

IOW, I think Kantian morality isn't that great, but neither are your two points. :p

I'm no fan of (or expert on) Kant, but:

1. I'm pretty he says reason should govern motives, otherwise we run the risk of being immoral.

2. By independently derived, Kant means separating the motive from the action. While utilitarianism focuses entirely on the consequence of the action, Kant focuses entirely on the motive.

IOW, I think Kantian morality isn't that great, but neither are your two points. :p

So basically Kants hypothesis is circular?

Reason--->motive <-----reason?

And btw, I think my two points explain very clearly why Kant's hypothesis of morality has no basis.

So basically Kants hypothesis is circular?

Reason--->motive <-----reason?

I'm not following. By reason, like I mentioned earlier, Kant means applying his formulas to the motive and then seeing if it's moral or not. If it is moral, you should act on that motive.

If you find that your motive is not moral via those formulas, then you shouldn't act on it. And if you do act on it, you're acting against reason.

I'm not following. By reason, like I mentioned earlier, Kant means applying his formulas to the motive and then seeing if it's moral or not. If it is moral, you should act on that motive.

If you find that your motive is not moral via those formulas, then you shouldn't act on it. And if you do act on it, you're acting against reason.

His formulas are based on observations not self evident principles of morality, so they don't really answer any questions about why we should be moral, only that we are. In fact, if you read his hypothesis,
Nevertheless, Kant argued, an unlimited amount of time to perfect ourselves (immortality) and a commensurate achievement of wellbeing (insured by God) are “postulates” required by reason when employed in moral matters.

he also ascribes moral reasoning to religious postulates.

So, I'm not convinced that there are independent moral postulates except for "utilitarianism" that can apply to atheism. IOW, if an athiest could opt out of the socially defined legal systems, what, besides his own personal satisfaction, would define his sense of right and wrong?

His formulas are based on observations not self evident principles of morality, so they don't really answer any questions about why we should be moral, only that we are. In fact, if you read his hypothesis, he also ascribes moral reasoning to religious postulates.

I think the answer to the why question would be "An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind." That sort of concept is how Kant comes to his ideas of morality, and what is or isn't moral.

So, I'm not convinced that there are independent moral postulates except for "utilitarianism" that can apply to atheism. IOW, if an athiest could opt out of the socially defined legal systems, what, besides his own personal satisfaction, would define his sense of right and wrong?

Sorry, I still don't have a satisfactory answer for you. It would depend on the individual atheist, provided he or she actually spent the time trying to figure out where his or her morality comes from and came to a conclusion.

Why don't you answer the question in the OP and we can work from there?

The child doesn't want to be abused, and the abuse serves no other purpose than the temporary pleasure of one individual. The harm from abuse lasts a lifetime and could require a drain on resources when the child needs psychological help. Physical pleasures that do not cause this harm to society are numerous. Therefore, one person's pleasure does not outweigh the right of another person to not be abused.

I think the answer to the why question would be "An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind." That sort of concept is how Kant comes to his ideas of morality, and what is or isn't moral.

And why should an atheist be concerned with other peoples eyes?
Sorry, I still don't have a satisfactory answer for you. It would depend on the individual atheist, provided he or she actually spent the time trying to figure out where his or her morality comes from and came to a conclusion.

So atheists do not really care about what they consider right or wrong?

The child doesn't want to be abused, and the abuse serves no other purpose than the temporary pleasure of one individual. The harm from abuse lasts a lifetime and could require a drain on resources when the child needs psychological help. Physical pleasures that do not cause this harm to society are numerous. Therefore, one person's pleasure does not outweigh the right of another person to not be abused.

Again, why should what the child wants be of any consideration? e.g. if you found out your entire society was based on a system that caused over 20,000 children to die of preventable causes every day, would you opt out of your society? Or would you continue to look to your own satisfaction?

Suppose you have the pleasure of a group who intends to see a man put to jail for frivolous reasons. Their pleasure seeing the man in jail outweighs whatever pleasure the man might get from being free, no?

Disclaimer: I really dislike utilitarianism

And why should an atheist be concerned with other peoples eyes?

Why should any man, regardless of whether or not he's a theist, be concerned with other people's eyes?

So atheists do not really care about what they consider right or wrong?

You'll find that most people don't, just like how most people never think about free will. There aren't easy answers to these topics.

Why should any man, regardless of whether or not he's a theist, be concerned with other people's eyes?

For the same reason we believe in justice and equality, both unnatural concepts in the real world.

You'll find that most people don't, just like how most people never think about free will. There aren't easy answers to these topics.

You'll find most people naturally fall on one side or another of any moral issue. Why is that, do you think?

For the same reason we believe in justice and equality, both unnatural concepts in the real world.

Are we not natural? :)

I find it odd that you're so eager to take away the credit of morality away from humanity and push it onto something else.

You'll find most people naturally fall on one side or another of any moral issue. Why is that, do you think?

This has nothing to do with what I mentioned earlier. People rarely take the time to sit down and understand and evaluate their system of morality. Just because they have one doesn't necessarily mean they understand it.

Again, why should what the child wants be of any consideration? e.g. if you found out your entire society was based on a system that caused over 20,000 children to die of preventable causes every day, would you opt out of your society? Or would you continue to look to your own satisfaction?

An individual should not be made to feel pain for no purpose, or for a frivolous purpose, because I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

Suppose you have the pleasure of a group who intends to see a man put to jail for frivolous reasons. Their pleasure seeing the man in jail outweighs whatever pleasure the man might get from being free, no?

Disclaimer: I really dislike utilitarianism

Again, your use of the word frivolous means that their reasons for putting someone in jail aren't strong.

Both examples did not require an appeal to religious authority.

An individual should not be made to feel pain for no purpose, or for a frivolous purpose, because I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

Both examples did not require an appeal to religious authority.

You did not answer the question. Unless the part "because I wouldn't want that to happen to me" refers to your personal satisfaction as a source.

Are we not natural? :)

I find it odd that you're so eager to take away the credit of morality away from humanity and push it onto something else.

This has nothing to do with what I mentioned earlier. People rarely take the time to sit down and understand and evaluate their system of morality. Just because they have one doesn't necessarily mean they understand it.

But they still want credit for it, I presume? ;)

Among a society of social, intelligent creatures, like the apes, the notion of justice is perfectly natural. They don't believe in equality though, since their societies are small and based on a male-dominated hierarchy. Note that in the JCI (Jew, Christian, Islamic) religions, equality is not emphasized, since slavery and sexism was part of their culture.

You did not answer the question. Unless the part "because I wouldn't want that to happen to me" refers to your personal satisfaction as a source.
Since I am not personally affected by someone else's mistreatment (who isn't a part of my immediate family, tribe, clan), the source must be compassion, which evolves for practical reasons among social animals. So morality is the extension of natural care for one's social group to society at large.

SAM,

Good topic. Interestingly the Brights network is currently working on a major project to define morality for those who hold a naturalistic world view.

There are some atheists who do not believe in God because of all the pain and suffering in the world. They point out to the evils of religion such as child abuse and the death of innocents.
I guess that’s true but that seems an over simplistic view of the issue.

However, IMO, notions of good and bad, right and wrong are based in religion.
But religions are created by people who have chosen that vehicle to place rules upon themselves. One doesn’t need religion to do the same thing.

In a nonreligious universe, there is no judgment,
If the only reason we do the right thing is because of fear of punishment then the human race is lost. The superior moral position is that we do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, and that indicates a non religious paradigm is essential.

there is only opinion and personal values.
And that is no different to a religious outlook. Religions offer fear of punishment, but the real carrot is a utopian reward. Ultimately the religionist is constraining his actions for a purely selfish and personal end result, i.e. ultimate exquisite pleasure.

Which means that for an atheist, there should exist no notions of abuse or suffering or wrongdoing with regard to others, only natural selection and need-driven actions of the self and those related to self.
If there was no intellect or intelligence involved then yes you would be correct and we see that in the animal world. The human though offers a fundamentally different perspective. We can reason that a supportive community environment offers far greater potential for personal survival and pleasure than acting on animal instinct and ignoring the needs of others. We can also reason that murdering someone is not in the best interests of the community and would endanger personal long time survival. Similarly for other morality based abuse scenarios.

The fundamental error you are making is to restrict the human outlook to a crude animal perspective. We are simply not that stupid and we do not need the fantasies of religion to provide a reason based moral outlook.

Most if not all atheists ground their moral concepts in the good of the individual.
A repeat of another fundamental error. One cannot generalize about a group that has no collective perspective other than disbelief in theism.

But even if your statement were true the religionist has an identical ultimate goal – personal survival and pleasure.

So applying this morality to society, if an atheist finds personal pleasure and satisfaction in say, abusing a child, should there be a moral objection from their moral perspective?
It is disconcerting that so many religionists persist with furthering this primitive and short sighted perspective. It ignores totally the emotional and intellectual concerns an informed and mature person has for his fellow man. Most such people whether religious or non-religious feel comfort and security in a supportive community environment; it is an essential characteristic of our evolved state and the primary reason we are so successful as a species. Even packs of hyenas demonstrate significant communal and joint family support.

Among a society of social, intelligent creatures, like the apes, the notion of justice is perfectly natural. They don't believe in equality though, since their societies are small and based on a male-dominated hierarchy. Note that in the JCI (Jew, Christian, Islamic) religions, equality is not emphasized, since slavery and sexism was part of their culture.

Apes believe in justice? I thought they believed in might is right?

Since I am not personally affected by someone else's mistreatment (who isn't a part of my immediate family, tribe, clan), the source must be compassion, which evolves for practical reasons among social animals. So morality is the extension of natural care for one's social group to society at large.

So do you feel compassionate enough to opt out of such a society or is free compassion all you are willing to offer?
And again, where is the evidence for a moral postulate that has not derived from religion? Would apes care about starving infants in another tribe?

SAM,

It is disconcerting that so many religionists persist with furthering this primitive and short sighted perspective. It ignores totally the emotional and intellectual concerns an informed and mature person has for his fellow man. Most such people whether religious or non-religious feel comfort and security in a supportive community environment; it is an essential characteristic of our evolved state and the primary reason we are so successful as a species. Even packs of hyenas demonstrate significant communal and joint family support.

Cris,

Please show me where there is any moral postulate in atheists that is devoid of utilitiarianism, ie simply for the sake of being moral, that is not derived from religion. I accept that like hyenas, even atheists can show pack instinct, but that would not stop them from cannibalism in starvation, would it?

As for emotional and intellectual concerns, those are clearly visible in the narrow minded communications and actions from atheists, I would think.

Interestingly the Brights network is currently working on a major project to define morality for those who hold a naturalistic world view.

This should be interesting. How much you wanna bet it will all be focused on individual satisfaction?

Last edited:
sam said:
Apes believe in justice?
They seem to know when something is unjust. They hold grudges. They behave unjustly at times, but they know it.

sam said:
I thought they believed in might is right?
They respect power for itself, but they respect power that is just and fair more.

sam said:
So do you feel compassionate enough to opt out of such a society or is free compassion all you are willing to offer?
I cannot live without society. That is why concern for society is just as important to consider as personal desires. I also recognize that we are all free to be immoral, and moral codes will never change that. Leaving a society won't necessarily fix it. All religion does is impose external threats to enforce moral behavior. Where do the religious moral codes come from in the first place? What if they are arbitrary? What if they tell you that execution is the appropriate response from society for, say, mixing linen and cotton in your clothing? ...or eating a pig?

And again, where is the evidence for a moral postulate that has not derived from religion? Would apes care about starving infants in another tribe?
Now that we are on the subject, where does religion get it's moral postulates? If a religion says we should sacrifice virgins to appease the Gods, what moral calculus could we make about that?

Back