Questions for the religous

You don't have to be a theist to have religion. Once again you are locked in this cult indoctrinated anti-Abrahamic cycle of nonsense. It's ****ing tedious.

No O, what is ****ing tedious is the stream of myths and superstitions spouted by theists as facts, who then demand our respect and attention, who demand we change our way of life for their indoctrinated delusions. It is a serious global problem that people like you wish to just sweep under the carpet.

"Live and let live" claim the theists. Yet, they never allow that, do they?

It would appear so. However, I doubt there are any theists who have actually chosen their religion. Even if they switched religions, they have still undergone an indoctrination at childhood.

It has nothing to do with the religion itself and everything to do with cult indoctrination, the forced acceptance of myth and superstition as fact.

That's not entirely true. One of my best friends was raised in a household where they did not attend church, but quite recently became a Christian. Actually, it was while he was at college, which was the first time he was away from home, oddly enough.

Religion appeals to certain people. It doesn't require indoctrination in order to sway people.

That's not entirely true. One of my best friends was raised in a household where they did not attend church, but quite recently became a Christian. Actually, it was while he was at college, which was the first time he was away from home, oddly enough.

Perhaps he was indoctrinated while away from home? Even if the family did not attend church, are you sure there was no affiliation to any religion? Christianity, perhaps?

Perhaps he was indoctrinated while away from home? Even if the family did not attend church, are you sure there was no affiliation to any religion? Christianity, perhaps?

Well, now you're reaching a bit. There's a difference between having a passing affiliation to a certain religion, and indoctrination to that religion. And I can't speak for every day of the kid's life, but I know he wasn't raised in a religious house.

As for being indoctrinated away from home, no, not at all. He was in college studying philosophy, and is really digging logic and deep thought and all that good stuff. One day he picked up a bible, though, and thought it was the best thing ever, and exactly what he needed.

He's not a zealot by any means. He's wickedly intelligent, and can rap philosophy with the best of them, but he happens to believe that Jesus Christ is his personal Lord and savior. He keeps it low-key.

I mean, these religions don't offer all these answers and promises of eternal life for nothing, Q.

Well, now you're reaching a bit. There's a difference between having a passing affiliation to a certain religion, and indoctrination to that religion. And I can't speak for every day of the kid's life, but I know he wasn't raised in a religious house.

Ok, so we've established the parents were definitely NOT Christians, right?

As for being indoctrinated away from home, no, not at all. He was in college studying philosophy, and is really digging logic and deep thought and all that good stuff. One day he picked up a bible, though, and thought it was the best thing ever, and exactly what he needed.

I would question his decision to study philosophy. Where did that come from?

He's not a zealot by any means. He's wickedly intelligent, and can rap philosophy with the best of them, but he happens to believe that Jesus Christ is his personal Lord and savior. He keeps it low-key.

Sorry, but something just doesn't quite fit. He picks up a bible and decides Jesus is his personal Lord and savior.

I mean, these religions don't offer all these answers and promises of eternal life for nothing, Q.

I get that. But, do you think had he picked up the Quran, instead, would he now be a Muslim?

Ok, so we've established the parents were definitely NOT Christians, right?

It doesn't matter. Your position is that indoctrination is the key, and the kid wasn't indoctrinated.

I would question his decision to study philosophy. Where did that come from?

Why on earth would you question his decision to study philosophy? Some say that philosophy is the most noble cause. Some say it's the only way to find absolute truth. Philosophy is beautiful, man.

To answer your question, Drew is a deep thinker. The appeal to him was logic and reason, both of which are cornerstones of philosophy.

Sorry, but something just doesn't quite fit. He picks up a bible and decides Jesus is his personal Lord and savior.

You've got to be able to see beyond the tip of your own nose, Q. Not everyone thinks like you. We aren't all wired the same. Just because YOU wouldn't pick up a bible and say "Wow, that's fantastic!" doesn't mean that it couldn't happen to someone else. He obviously is the kind of person who is capable of believing without having to sacrifice his love for logic and reason. He doesn't have to justify one to the other.

I get that. But, do you think had he picked up the Quran, instead, would he now be a Muslim?

I don't know. I think he was drawn to, and inspired by, Jesus' teachings. Many are. If you read the NT, you'd know that Jesus has some excellent teachings.

But I don't know. How could I possibly answer that?

I'm agnostic, not atheist; well, an agnostic atheist. Although I don't say "there is no god", I merely don't know.

Religion appeals to certain people. It doesn't require indoctrination in order to sway people.
I agree it's not entirely true, however, he was influenced by society and/or friends.

I mean people do become Alienologists (for example: Scientology) every day. Many are suckered in off a Theta-energy mood-test. I'd say they didn't really come to the conclusion they wanted to give their house to Scientology but maybe were... conned into it? You know what I mean?

I was raised religious although after really looking at the world and thinking it through, it was too difficult to really believe in all of it

I now maintain a position of "agnostic"
which religion were you raised? Also, do you also support the "agnostic" belief there may be a Goddess? Or many Gods? What about Alien Overlords like Xenu?

which religion were you raised? Also, do you also support the "agnostic" belief there may be a Goddess? Or many Gods? What about Alien Overlords like Xenu?
I was raised Alawite (Muslim)

Sure there could be those things. As for the last one...........I do think there are other intelligent life forms out there.

I was baptized Catholic, because it was important to my mother for some reason. While both of my parents believe in God, they did/do not practice any religion. I attended Christian schools for 7 years and because of this was much more relgious and god fearing than my parents were (I was unaware of this at the time though) In 6th and 7th grade I became obsessed with Christianity and God and held many firm beliefs. In high school I attend a private academy with no religious emphasis and decided for myself that Christianity and God did not make much sense to me and I had a few moral conflicts with the religon so I looked into a few other religions, but they were all as believable as the last. My parents never discussed their beliefs with me until I was an adult, when I eventually came to terms with being an agnostic athiest. I thank them for that, so I actually did choose my own religion when I was growing up. But it obviously didn't stick.

It doesn't matter. Your position is that indoctrination is the key, and the kid wasn't indoctrinated.

It would matter if his parents were Christian.

Why on earth would you question his decision to study philosophy? Some say that philosophy is the most noble cause. Some say it's the only way to find absolute truth. Philosophy is beautiful, man.

It's mostly bs.

To answer your question, Drew is a deep thinker. The appeal to him was logic and reason, both of which are cornerstones of philosophy.

Jesus is his savior. Seems rather brain dead to me.

You've got to be able to see beyond the tip of your own nose, Q. Not everyone thinks like you. We aren't all wired the same. Just because YOU wouldn't pick up a bible and say "Wow, that's fantastic!" doesn't mean that it couldn't happen to someone else. He obviously is the kind of person who is capable of believing without having to sacrifice his love for logic and reason. He doesn't have to justify one to the other.

I think that's called hypocrisy.

I don't know. I think he was drawn to, and inspired by, Jesus' teachings. Many are. If you read the NT, you'd know that Jesus has some excellent teachings.

He didn't even exist.

How many of you out there actually chose your religion?

Me.

Many defend their belief system but few have made a conscious decision about what they believe. Most if not many were born into a tradition and would face consequences from their family or society for leaving or coming out as atheist or switching religions.

I changed but the consequences pail into insignificance compared to the importance of the change.

How many would have CONSCIOUSLY chosen their religion if they were given options while growing up?

Many people in their teens make that conscious decision and they are still growing up. Actually from experience most people make these shifts during their teen years.

By options I mean the ability to study a variety of traditions and choose what they believe or simply to deny religion altogether. Is it possible to be objective about something that has been ingrained from birth?

Sure it is. A lot of the athiests in here where once religious some where brought up in very strict and dogmatic religious environments. I was brought up in a very religious environment also.

Most atheists for example have come out of some religious belief and so have made a decision about what they were raised with. Some people leave one religion for another which is also a conscious choice.

LOL No need to answer your post cause you just answered it yourself. Makes me wonder why you posted it in the first place?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Other than scriptures, what evidence is there to suggest he did exist? None whatsoever.

There is very good evidence to support the idea that the Jesus as described to us is a political, invention, to unite various competing religions under one umbrella.

The scriptures, as we know, post date Jesus by some time, and lots of attributes have been attached since.

I'm with you, I think it's safe to say the character we are sold these days did not exist.

Other than scriptures, what evidence is there to suggest he did exist? None whatsoever.

What evidence is there to suggest that Ramses existed? Or Constantine?

Apart from historical texts...of course.

How many of you out there actually chose your religion? Many defend their belief system but few have made a conscious decision about what they believe. Most if not many were born into a tradition and would face consequences from their family or society for leaving or coming out as atheist or switching religions. How many would have CONSCIOUSLY chosen their religion if they were given options while growing up? By options I mean the ability to study a variety of traditions and choose what they believe or simply to deny religion altogether. Is it possible to be objective about something that has been ingrained from birth?

Most atheists for example have come out of some religious belief and so have made a decision about what they were raised with. Some people leave one religion for another which is also a conscious choice.

i was raised muslim, very religous..

got my brain washed very thoroughly.

recieved answers regarding my religon to questions i didn't know exist(haven't seen them any where here too, but all questions asked here i have answers for..but i still don't know why all sciforumers are muslims yet)..

after sometime started wondering if i was tricked..as everything seemed perfect..yet the results were not perfect(islam is right in many ways but not people are muslim)..so i wondered if i was manipulated and decieved..

since i couldn't filter my previous indoctrination..(because that's immpossible..it's a part of who i am.. as michael always say)..i considered all the other possible directions..none were even close to islam..atheism was most logical from the rest..although i gave it a better stand than what i see here..

so in the end..i reached where i started..unlike all of you guys..it might be a bit depressing..going through all that thinking and doubt and consideration to reach square one..yes i wondered if i was just tricking my self..so no thanks..

that's all.

I was raised Alawite (Muslim)

Sure there could be those things. As for the last one...........I do think there are other intelligent life forms out there.

could you elaborate on why you left "islam"?

(NB - I'm not sure if you're equating atheism with objectivity or aren't also including the cultural elements of atheism that could indoctrinate a person from birth)

No not at all, I'm not saying someone should be an atheist, my only thoughts were that if one is raised in a specific tradition its difficult to say one has chosen that god or tradition. I was only wondering about people's experience of either leaving a tradition they were raised in to become an atheist or perhaps join a different religion. Or what the thoughts were of those who maintain the religion they were raised with, in other words do they still choose that tradition or did they simply never consider it.

I am simply BLOWN AWAY that Norse was raised Muslim:eek:

Its not negative or anything its just the last thing I would have ever expected. Like learning Sam was once married:p

Back