Question to believers

PM from elte said:
I have to reduce pubic posting right now since it requires more attention than I can afford presently.

By calling me disingenuous, that was calling me deceptive, a derogatory claim against my character.

Often, my philosophical insights grate against people's comfort zones because they are unconventional, but rest assured, there isn't disingenuity involved.

I said it was "disingenuous to claim you weren't attempting to make an argument" after you already verified that you had, indeed, made an argument. This is a fact. You verified that it was, indeed, a disingenuous claim. Whether intentional or not, neither of which concerning me, any ad hominem was inferred by you, not implied by me.

(I cannot reply to PM's yet, so I decided to respond to the public accusation you chose not to support publicly here.)

I said it was "disingenuous to claim you weren't attempting to make an argument" after you already verified that you had, indeed, made an argument. This is a fact. You verified that it was, indeed, a disingenuous claim. Whether intentional or not, neither of which concerning me, any ad hominem was inferred by you, not implied by me.

(I cannot reply to PM's yet, so I decided to respond to the public accusation you chose not to support publicly here.)

It is your opinion. You tried to refute my post early on, and you began the back and forth by that response. I was defending my position after you had begun the direct discourse. I would have found it preferable not to have to defend my position if I hadn't had to. So, I was not disingenuous. It is better for you to just accept what people say as sincere, and try to understand that they have a good reason for feeling that way.

It is your opinion. You tried to refute my post early on, and you began the back and forth by that response. I was defending my position after you had begun the direct discourse. I would have found it preferable not to have to defend my position if I hadn't had to. So, I was not disingenuous. It is better for you to just accept what people say as sincere, and try to understand that they have a good reason for feeling that way.

No, it is verifiable fact, and funny what your attention can suddenly afford.

No one forced you to go from your claimed "presentation" to argument, and you even invited response by asking a question:

elte said:
People doing bad things that hurt other people--why does God allow that? Still it means God can't be either omnibenevolent or omnipotent.

Since asking a question directly invites response, we can see that this strictly "presentation" claim was disingenuous from the very start. And your assertion is completely pointless if you're unwilling to support it.

As I've said, it appears you are only making an emotional argument based solely on your "feeling", as you've only attempted to allay further challenge when pressed for some reasoning or logical support. And you don't seem to have the good sense to bow out of an argument you've claimed you have no intent to argue without accusations that you would assume would be met.

No, if you had read my posts, or even just my last one, you'd have seen that my basic premise is that freewill exists. You are merely focusing on the counterpoint to your own argument.

I am focusing on the parts of your argument that I find problematic.

Quite the contrary, only in a finite environment can anyone form any judgment of value or relative meaning. Just as value is based on rarity, significance is increasingly lost as things become ubiquitous.

This is only relatively so.
It is not uncommon for people to be rich and have many relationships and hobbies - and yet they are unhappy.

Every human has an innate concern for their present well-being, so questions such as "why bother" are not found to be crucial in reality.

Many people indeed ask themselves "Why bother?"
Many people also commit suicide.

Second, your opposition is completely subjective. This is precisely why your premise is weak. Being subjective, it cannot be objectively and logically examined. But I suppose that is the strength of an emotional argument.

Your argument is subjective -

Quite the contrary, only in a finite environment can anyone form any judgment of value or relative meaning. Just as value is based on rarity, significance is increasingly lost as things become ubiquitous. Every human has an innate concern for their present well-being, so questions such as "why bother" are not found to be crucial in reality. People very often do what they enjoy, regardless of the end result. As the cliche goes, it is often the journey rather than the destination.

Are some lives worthless and morally free to be done away with?

In a finite world with limited resources, free will, with our without God, yes.

My view is not demoralizing.

Of course it is.

Quite the contrary, as everyone has the innate freewill with which to improve upon their circumstances.

Since resources are limited, this does not apply.

Secondly, even given enough resources, your paradigm works only if we posit that material wellbeing, along with relationships, is as good as human life gets, and that people are happy with this arrangement of things.

I'm not making an "emotional argument." My point is that humans need a lot more for happiness than their free will and even infinite resources can immediately offer.

You need to decide which assertion you are trying to forward here, as you are currently arguing two independent points, and both poorly.

You need to stop setting yourself up as the judge.

I think that in a finite world (with or without God), things like life and goals lose all meaning.
Because why bother? Why bother, if it is all going to end anyway, and it could end anytime?
Must suck to be you.

I find life to be quite enjoyable. It may be helped by the fact that many of the people I am close to are cancer survivors. They have looked death in the face and lived to remind us how precious the time we have right now is.

It could also be that I am old enough to have lost many of my peers. Some due to accident, some due to self destructive life styles, and some due to good old natural causes.

It's not a question of if we die... it's when. The only thing that we KNOW that we have, is now.

I am focusing on the parts of your argument that I find problematic.

Yes, exactly as I said, you are focusing on the counterpoint to your own argument.

It is not uncommon for people to be rich and have many relationships and hobbies - and yet they are unhappy.

Exactly as I said. The ubiquity of money, friends, hobbies, etc. diminishes the significance of each.

Many people indeed ask themselves "Why bother?"
Many people also commit suicide.

Anecdotal, as "many" is not representative of the entirety. Many who believe in an afterlife also ask "why bother" and commit suicide, which would indicate that these attitudes are psychological and not directly related to belief in an afterlife or a god. This does nothing to make your case.

wynn said:
Your argument is subjective -

Syne said:
Quite the contrary, only in a finite environment can anyone form any judgment of value or relative meaning. Just as value is based on rarity, significance is increasingly lost as things become ubiquitous. Every human has an innate concern for their present well-being, so questions such as "why bother" are not found to be crucial in reality. People very often do what they enjoy, regardless of the end result. As the cliche goes, it is often the journey rather than the destination.

You have yourself, above, illustrated the relationship between ubiquity and significance. You've also neglected to give any reason to think that any of this is merely subjective.

Syne said:

wynn said:

Definitely immoral. And if the existence of a god is intrinsic to the existence of an afterlife, as you seem to claim, then by saying "with or without God" you are also saying "with or without an afterlife". So either way you find it morally acceptable to kill those you deem as living worthless lives.

Syne said:

wynn said:
Of course it is.

Yet again, you don't give any reason to support your pronouncement.

Syne said:
Quite the contrary, as everyone has the innate freewill with which to improve upon their circumstances.

wynn said:
Since resources are limited, this does not apply.

Secondly, even given enough resources, your paradigm works only if we posit that material wellbeing, along with relationships, is as good as human life gets, and that people are happy with this arrangement of things.

I'm not making an "emotional argument." My point is that humans need a lot more for happiness than their free will and even infinite resources can immediately offer.

Resources are not the sole limiter on the ability to improve one's life, merely on material, quantitative improvement. The quality of life is just that, qualitative.

You have yet to enumerate what "need a lot more for happiness" entails other than a vague notion of afterlife. And let clear up any confusion you may have. I am not arguing against an afterlife, only than it is an independent issue from the existence of a god.

You need to stop setting yourself up as the judge.

You've clearly gotten lost in an argument for afterlife and completely lost, or never established, a connection to the existence of a god.

Yes, exactly as I said, you are focusing on the counterpoint to your own argument.

What else? You do the same to mine.

Exactly as I said. The ubiquity of money, friends, hobbies, etc. diminishes the significance of each.

Just because something is rare, doesn't make it worthy or significant.

Anencephaly is rare, but it being rare doesn't make it any less of a serious medical condition, and it being rare certainly doesn't make it desirable.

There are also people who are wealthy, who have a lot of friends etc. - and who are nevertheless happy and grateful for all they have.

Anecdotal, as "many" is not representative of the entirety.

You seem to think that all humans function by the same principles, and that the differences between them are irrelevant.

Many who believe in an afterlife also ask "why bother" and commit suicide, which would indicate that these attitudes are psychological and not directly related to belief in an afterlife or a god. This does nothing to make your case.

Belief is subjective and works out differently for different people.

Unless we subscribe to the Stalinistic No man, no problem, we have to take into consideration how particular beliefs actually work out for real people.

Definitely immoral. And if the existence of a god is intrinsic to the existence of an afterlife, as you seem to claim, then by saying "with or without God" you are also saying "with or without an afterlife". So either way you find it morally acceptable to kill those you deem as living worthless lives.

You really need to refrain from putting words into my mouth.

This is what I agreed that follows:

I never agreed though that the world is finite. A finite world is part of your stance.

Of course it is.
Yet again, you don't give any reason to support your pronouncement.

People differ in what they find demoralizing (see for example some other posts in this thread). Even when they present their justifications for their stance, the other party may not accept those justifications.

I find it demoralizing to believe that the world and human life are finite.
I'll explain more on that as necessary, as the discussion progresses.

You have yet to enumerate what "need a lot more for happiness" entails other than a vague notion of afterlife. And let clear up any confusion you may have. I am not arguing against an afterlife, only than it is an independent issue from the existence of a god.

I argue that it is only with notions of karma, reincarnation and God, that life can be experienced as valuable and worth living.

Of course, not everyone agrees with that. (Even if I explain it.)

This is not something that can be settled in an abstract exchange of arguments.
This is because there are things that people hold apriori; and different people hold different things apriori.

Some people find satisfaction in material pursuits and relationships; others do not.

You've clearly gotten lost in an argument for afterlife and completely lost, or never established, a connection to the existence of a god.

Uh, what a tone. :rolleyes:

Must suck to be you.

I find life to be quite enjoyable. It may be helped by the fact that many of the people I am close to are cancer survivors. They have looked death in the face and lived to remind us how precious the time we have right now is.

It could also be that I am old enough to have lost many of my peers. Some due to accident, some due to self destructive life styles, and some due to good old natural causes.

It's not a question of if we die... it's when. The only thing that we KNOW that we have, is now.

How did you convince yourself that material pursuits and relationships are enjoyable and basically "as good as life gets"?

Or has this been something that you have been taking for granted as long as you can remember?

How did you convince yourself that material pursuits and relationships are enjoyable and basically "as good as life gets"?

Or has this been something that you have been taking for granted as long as you can remember?
I see no evidence of anything else. This is it.

I spent many years reading, studying, searching spiritual enlightenment. It's only within the last 10 years that I came to realize, this is the gift - life. You can enjoy it or you can spend it looking for something else if you want. Your choice.

What else? You do the same to mine.

No, I am simply trying to get you to examine the possible existence of a god without the foregone conclusion of an afterlife. I've already told you that I am not refuting the possibility of an afterlife. IOW, I'm just trying to get you to either stay on-topic or make the case for a connection between a god and an afterlife. But you've even said, yourself, that an afterlife could exist "with or without God", so it seems you're not here to discuss the existence of a god at all, merely your agenda.

Just because something is rare, doesn't make it worthy or significant.

Anencephaly is rare, but it being rare doesn't make it any less of a serious medical condition, and it being rare certainly doesn't make it desirable.

No, a rare illness is significant precisely because its rarity makes it more serious. Significance is a magnitude of value, whether positive or negative.

There are also people who are wealthy, who have a lot of friends etc. - and who are nevertheless happy and grateful for all they have.

Yet again, anecdotal.

Belief is subjective and works out differently for different people.

Unless we subscribe to the Stalinistic No man, no problem, we have to take into consideration how particular beliefs actually work out for real people.

Just as I said, a completely subjective argument.

You really need to refrain from putting words into my mouth.

I never agreed though that the world is finite. A finite world is part of your stance.

Well since we can definitively prove the world (you know, this world) to be finite, there's no reason to assume that I would even consider such a counter-factual claim. If you must claim the world to be infinite to justify your assertions then your assertions are blatantly wrong.

But let's examine this anyway, just for kicks. Even assuming, for the moment, that by "world" you mean something other than this physical world, you are saying that it would be morally justifiable to kill a human only if there were no afterlife. So killing them wouldn't just end a temporary existence, but their entire existence, for all time.

That is even more immoral that I previously thought you meant.

People differ in what they find demoralizing (see for example some other posts in this thread). Even when they present their justifications for their stance, the other party may not accept those justifications.

I find it demoralizing to believe that the world and human life are finite.

More purely subjective considerations.

I argue that it is only with notions of karma, reincarnation and God, that life can be experienced as valuable and worth living.

Of course, not everyone agrees with that. (Even if I explain it.)

This is not something that can be settled in an abstract exchange of arguments.
This is because there are things that people hold apriori; and different people hold different things apriori.

Some people find satisfaction in material pursuits and relationships; others do not.

And your beliefs seem to require more a priori justifications that most. Thank you for so thoroughly demonstrating the subjectivity of your emotional argument. It will warrant no further argument from me, as I am only interested in logical arguments that can be supported. We could have easily avoided all of this with just a little transparency.

Uh, what a tone.

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you are only making an emotional argument, at best. Good luck with that.

If God can do anything then why are so many people in this world in a state of constant pain, trouble and worries?

I see people who live the kind of life you seem to be looking for. They are born into comfort, never want for anything, and never have a care or worry. Strangely, these spoiled brats often do a whole lot more whining than those who work for what they get. It seems contradictory, but I think hardship ultimately makes us happier.

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you are only making an emotional argument, at best. Good luck with that.

Stalinist. :eek:

The topic is about things pertaining to people, but you want to avoid the people in this.

I see no evidence of anything else. This is it.

Then you haven't actually convinced yourself that material pleasures are all there is to life: you've resigned yourself to such a life.

I spent many years reading, studying, searching spiritual enlightenment. It's only within the last 10 years that I came to realize, this is the gift - life. You can enjoy it or you can spend it looking for something else if you want. Your choice.

Can you not understand that someone may have the same kind of experiences as you do, but nevertheless think - "There must be more to life than this" ?

Anyway, your life isn't over yet, you might yet make interesting discoveries.

Then you haven't actually convinced yourself that material pleasures are all there is to life: you've resigned yourself to such a life.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Life is good - get out and live it.

Can you not understand that someone may have the same kind of experiences as you do, but nevertheless think - "There must be more to life than this" ?
Sure I can - the choice is yours.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Life is good - get out and live it.

Sure I can - the choice is yours.

You've touched upon something very important, but you wrapped it into an ad hominem ... again ...

And you contradict yourself: if you would really believe that "life is good" (and one only needs to "get out and live it"), then you couldn't understand that a person can indeed "get out and live it" and still be dissatisfied.

You haven't explained yet what it takes to actually enjoy "life."

To some people, "eating, drinking and making merry" is the same as walking on hot embers.

Did you ever wonder why you like the taste of coffee or meat?

Stalinist. :eek:

The topic is about things pertaining to people, but you want to avoid the people in this.

Funny, an unfounded and unjustified ad hominem and absolutely no justification for your blatantly immoral stance that it is okay to kill someone if you're ending their entire existence.

That is a completely despicable view.

Funny, an unfounded and unjustified ad hominem and absolutely no justification for your blatantly immoral stance that it is okay to kill someone if you're ending their entire existence.

That is a completely despicable view.

It is completely despicable to strawman.

This is what I agreed that follows - I never said I find it acceptable:

See an example of this kind of reasoning:

Like most American busybodies, you seem blind to the possibility that suicide may be a rational choice. Why?

Not all lives are worth living.

It's been persuasively argued right here on SciForums, in the wake of one of our members discussing his own plans, that telling others that you intend to commit suicide may indeed be a cry for help. Obviously making a faux attempt that could never do more than make you sick--such as trying to "overdose" on Valium--could fall in the same category.

But a genuine, well-planned attempt, in private, without alerting anybody? That isn't a cry for help. That's your own way of ending some pretty intolerable pain, for which no other remedy has worked. Those people should have a right to make their own decision.

Not allowing a person in unbearable, incurable emotional agony to end it is just as mean-spirited as denying a person in unbearable physical agony an analgesic.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2810881&postcount=19

Indeed, some people believe that some lives are worthless and morally free to be done away with.

In a finite world with free will, where the alpha and omega of existence is the body, life is worthless; it is a struggle for existence, everyone against everyone, with disease, poverty and death breathing down everyone's neck; everyone struggling to find some enjoyment, only to have it snatched away in the next moment.
This is roundabout what hell is described as sometimes.

I never agreed that it is acceptable to kill someone, nor do I think that killing the body means that the person's existence is ended.
So your accusation doesn't apply to me.

Indeed, some people believe that some lives are worthless and morally free to be done away with.

Syne said:

wynn said:

You didn't say "some people" here, nor did I specify a means to "be done away with". You have only your own hasty and biased assumptions to blame for appearing morally reprehensible. I erected no straw man. You simply neglected to specify any further than I did.

Since you have demonstrated that you cannot make a logical argument, it is not surprising that you assume what does or doesn't apply to you based solely on belief.

Having had unexpected time available, and having spent the day reflecting on and composing this message after a few days of contemplation, I am beginning with the admission (and others might do well to realize it for themselves) that I'm far from perfect and can't write or speak what I really want to. Communication, especially that which uses words, is a very complex process plagued by misunderstandings, and good communication requires considerable time and effort. However, when I say I prefer not to argue, that is a completely true statement not subject to difficulty in its expression or understanding. My interest is not in winning arguments, but in giving ideas, so that civilization can progress, with myself benefiting also.

--

Syne, I reviewed the thread again, and I see my concentration was lacking that other day. I apologize about writing then when I was a somewhat frazzled and you were showing continued patience. Much of the portion between the hyphens should be worded in friendlier style, but I must get to other tasks.

No, it is verifiable fact,

You couldn't verify it by the way you were trying to because you don't have extra sensory perception and can't read my mind. Aside from that, it couldn't be verified because it wasn't real; I was simply being honest like usual because it really is true that I prefer not to argue.

Often times we do things that we'd rather not because we feel that we have to, and often times I realize that I'd actually prefer to have ways to skip the hassle of using words and, instead, use direct thought transfer from brain to brain (not unlike the Vulcan mind meld). Yet alas, words are the best tool available most of the time. (Often videos work well.) Now these transferred thoughts would have to be easily identifiable and accepted only with the permission of the recipient in order not to act as brainwashing or schizophrenic thoughts.

I think the hassle and conflict of argument is generally wasteful for society. I go into that elsewhere in this post, but the real proof of my sincerity lies in the intricate neural structure of my brain where no outsider has access, not even by using functional magnetic resonance imaging techniques.

and funny what your attention can suddenly afford.

It's not funny at all but reasonable, given that more formal posting takes more attention than the more casual private messaging that I had used.

In addition, cooperation, not conflict and struggle against one another, in society makes civilization possible. I try to advance civilization through cooperation. By sending the private message, I was compromising for both our sakes and society's sake, while the state of our public posting was at an equitable stopping point (according to my assessment at the time).

No one forced you to go from your claimed "presentation" to argument,

I believe self-defense should be done if the situation warrants it. Too, sometimes a comment to my post appears so far off that I have to address it. I would prefer that there be no such remark, however.

and you even invited response by asking a question:

Being a rhetorical question, an answer is in the next sentence. A response would still be OK, but it isn't really being asked for. So I wouldn't necessarily consider that an invitation.

Since asking a question directly invites response, we can see that this strictly "presentation" claim was disingenuous from the very start. And your assertion is completely pointless if you're unwilling to support it.

It was a rhetorical question. If it weren't, it much depends on whether or not a responder deserves it. If you had responded to it rudely, you might not have deserved a response on the issue, but possibly would have deserved being called out for lack of manners.

As I've said, it appears you are only making an emotional argument based solely on your "feeling", as you've only attempted to allay further challenge when pressed for some reasoning or logical support..

Everyone's posts are already affected by feeling and emotion. It is helpful for us to remember that fact about ourselves and occasionally mention it. On the other hand, I had intended my point not to be not an emotional argument but the logical notion that discussion shouldn't speculate on what happens in another's mind, and that comments attacking the person short circuit reasoned conversation. So on principle, I refused to support my idea at the time.

Civility gets enhanced when the writer adds his/her human element to a conversation while the reader honors that and does the same. Let's not forget that we all are human beings.

And you don't seem to have the good sense to bow out of an argument you've claimed you have no intent to argue...

Your not deserving a response is not justification for concession. I called you out for using an ad hominem. Someone answering my posts sets the tone that determines if they should receive further explanation.

It's good to remember that word-based communication has a variable subjective nature that differs from person to person and from time to time. That is why a lot of interpretative leeway helps to smooth the process. I'm sure that I also have suffered from weak times and so ask pardon for my lapses. Sometimes we might simply be fatigued and lose track of the thread of the discussion, but yet feel pressured to finish. (mea culpa)

(I omitted the phrase after the ellipses because I couldn't make out its meaning, but that doesn't seem to be a matter of concern.)

What is important is that "you don't seem to have the good sense" to accept someone's grace when it is offered. See what I mean? (I think you already understand, so even it is a rhetorical question answered by "Yes.") Statements about the state of conversants' minds are not permissible because they are speculation that hijacks reasoned discussion.

In retrospect, I think it is the use of the the word freewill that gets to me. I think choice is better. Freewill, IMO, is in a category that includes utopia, both connote the ideal.

I took so much time writing this post that although the part directed to you (Syne) is not up to my own standards for friendliness, I am going to submit it anyway. It would just be very hard to rewrite it. I never have been a stellar essayist. Try not to take offense if my writing seems rather direct. I know it often is so, since my natural style is pretty sterile. I hope that this middle section helps you see why I was troublesome to you that other day.

Syne, it has not escaped my notice that at times you try to reflect a person's shortfalls in technique, back, to serve as an example. Just letting you know that your efforts do not go unnoticed.

--

Humility of individuals in society is important for harmony. We remember the saying that no person is an island. We should appreciate that saying more.

It is a benefit to civilization for people to try to politely draw out true insights from others rather than trying to trip up the process through rude tactics. The attitude that other people are opponents is not healthy for civilization and leads to wasted individual potential or ultimately, to warfare. It is the additive nature of the individual contributions that makes civilization possible. When I call for peace, I mean it; we know peace has to be a two way process and I want to do my part.

That is a reason why I believe that competition against others is near the root of human evil, with the attitude of hate of other people possibly being the very root itself. We know the opposite of hate is love, and it involves wanting not to harm others, but only wanting to help them.

Competition against others differs from competition with others, although people often confuse the two terms. The presence, or not, of hate that is involved in competition against others, differentiates them. For example, compete with all other people against harmful things like cancer.

Apologies to all for this long post. I really don't want to have wasted my time writing it, so please endure it the way it is.

(I got to get offline and can't spend any more time refining this post. Now, here you have it, I'm getting too tired to think.)

Last edited:
Elte,

First, I'd like to point out that clarity of communication very often only comes from a back and forth to sort out what exactly is meant. No one should assume perfection, and that is precisely why presentation is not as practical as argument or debate. No one can present any idea completely free of misunderstanding, and this requires a presented idea to be challenged and tested as to its meaning and veracity. If the idea doesn't warrant being defended or clarified then it probably doesn't warrant being shared. Now if you only wish to express some belief, it would probably be wise to preface it as such.

Your claim that you wished to avoid argument while making one was, in fact, disingenuous. I'm sorry if you took it that I meant you were being intentionally disingenuous, but the claim, itself, was demonstrably so.

The use of any idea to society can only be ascertained by a test of that idea, which is accomplished by challenge and comparison. It is true that cooperation is necessary for a society, but this is not true of advancing knowledge or making use of ideas. Where you may see conflict, I simply see practicality.

If you think that your ideas warrant defending then you really are not justified in complaining about having them challenged. All ideas stand or fall on their own merit. If you cannot make the case for that merit, you are probably better not defending it.

And it really should go without saying that rhetorical questions are not obvious in writing.

Believe me, if only reasoned discussion was offered, I would have happily constrained myself to it. When emotional or subjective arguments are made, they require being pointed out so that a reasoned discussion can continue without the fallacy that such arguments have primacy over reason. They do not, and sometimes that fact requires being driven home.

elte said:
In retrospect, I think it is the use of the the word freewill that gets to me. I think choice is better. Freewill, IMO, is in a category that includes utopia, both connote the ideal.

When my argument is that the existence of freewill (choice, freedom, etc.) is what allows for misfortune, I fail to see how that can be considered idealized.

Syne, it has not escaped my notice that at times you try to reflect a person's shortfalls in technique, back, to serve as an example. Just letting you know that your efforts do not go unnoticed.

Thank you. It is extremely rare that this is noticed for what it is.

Back