Question to believers

People doing bad things that hurt other people--why does God allow that? Still it means God can't be either omnibenevolent or omnipotent.

People doing bad things that hurt other people--why does God allow that? Still it means God can't be either omnibenevolent or omnipotent.

Same here:
Could you elaborate on the premises that underlie your above conclusion?

Same here:
Could you elaborate on the premises that underlie your above conclusion?

It just seems reasonable that if God sees suffering and is good, God would want to stop it, but is unable. Or God is all powerful, but doesn't want to stop suffering, so can't be good. Goodness is compared to how humans can be good.

It just seems reasonable that if God sees suffering and is good, God would want to stop it, but is unable. Or God is all powerful, but doesn't want to stop suffering, so can't be good. Goodness is compared to how humans can be good.

But there is a number of assumptions going into this that are taken for granted as true, such as:

1. All living beings are their bodies; the body is all there is to a living being's existence.
2. This life is all there is. There is no karma and no reincarnation.
3. God is a vending machine; or is evil, or doesn't exist.

1. Whether or not the body is the totality of our being, we still experience suffering, and no amount of afterlife can change that.
2. Again, poor compensation for a life of suffering.
3. God could answer some reasonable prayers as he is said to do, or he could just intervene in the most serious disasters before they happen. This would at least be consistent with the notion that we are his favorite creation. Or he's evil. Or he doesn't exist (which I prefer).

But there is a number of assumptions going into this that are taken for granted as true, such as:

1. All living beings are their bodies; the body is all there is to a living being's existence.
2. This life is all there is. There is no karma and no reincarnation.
3. God is a vending machine; or is evil, or doesn't exist.

I don't know what to make of 3. But 1 and 2, yes. I probably don't like the implications any more than you do, if that helps any.

1. Whether or not the body is the totality of our being, we still experience suffering, and no amount of afterlife can change that.

2. Again, poor compensation for a life of suffering.

How do you know that?

3. God could answer some reasonable prayers as he is said to do, or he could just intervene in the most serious disasters before they happen. This would at least be consistent with the notion that we are his favorite creation. Or he's evil. Or he doesn't exist (which I prefer).

This would be pertinent if 1 and 2 would be the case.

It's just a personal opinion. I've heard the life story of some very unfortunate people. It changes who they are. To say that an immortal soul is beyond such damage is to devalue life in general.

To say that an immortal soul is beyond such damage is to devalue life in general.

Why?
If we are immortal souls, then all the hardships that we face and which leads us to think that there is no God, are just temporary circumstances that do not actually affect our identity.

Except for the religious notion that these temporary circumstances effect our eternal destiny in the afterlife (heaven, hell, limbo, etc...).

So you don't believe in sin? And I suppose you don't think this universe has any importance to God. Because it's temporary and God is eternal.

For me? :m:
Ironically enough, offering a dream-like environment where one can assume any one of literally millions of different life forms in order to (falsely) experience the notion of independence is also what god has in mind for dealing with the problem ....

Back