Question on Ice

Nonsense. If you expect ideas to be tested by the lab, you expect them to be tested by peers as well. No one likes to be laughed at or ridiculed- I don't either. But Science is about testing ideas.
Put them forth to be tested. But complaining that they fail the tests is nonsense. A real scientist gets back to work and tries to more accurately model the hypothesis, not demand that others just "trust" him about his idea.

Relax, you don't have to worry about stressed out lab workers here, this is free thought land, even yours.

[chuckle] oh no..... yep you are right there is nothing to discuss...

typical Origin reaction:

when it would be so easy to just do a simple experiment for yourself ...

Typical Quack tactic: Make assumptions based on no data, reach the wrong conclusion and act smug.

I have in fact done the experiment. Pretty simple, take 2 glasses of water one hot and one cold and put them outside in winter and monitor - the colder glass repeatedly froze first.

Now there are instances where the hotter water will freeze first as is discussd here: Hot or Cold

The Mpemba effect, describing the phenomenon of initially hot water freezing before cooler water, occurs only when the water supercools and the cooler water has a lower nucleation temperature than the warmer water. The Mpemba effect is not observed if the hot water freezes first but all conditions during cooling are not “identical,” this is the result of increased thermal conductivity. In this case, the hot water container affected the experimental conditions.

Under normal conditions, ice that is warmed from less than 0 o C will always begin melting when its temperature reaches 0o C. However, when liquid water is cooled from above 0o C, it often will not begin freezing until it has supercooled to several degrees below 0o C. This is why hot water can freeze before cooler water when all experimental conditions are identical except for the initial temperatures of the water. Hot water will freeze before cooler water only when the cooler water supercools, and then, only if the nucleation temperature of the cooler water is several degrees lower than that of the hot water. Heating water may lower, raise or not change the spontaneous freezing temperature.

The key is creating identical conditions; if the hot water causes better thermal conductivity between the hot water container and the cooling environment, then the conditions are no longer identical. An observed example of this was the melting of freezer frost, shown in Figs. 9 and 10. When conditions for the two samples are identical, the hot water always takes longer to reach 0o C, as shown in Fig. 21.

Sounds good to me. :shrug:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.3185

Why does hot water freeze faster than cold water?
The question is poorly stated. It's like asking, "Why are women taller than men?"

A better start would be, "Under what conditions do women grow taller than men?" or, "Under what conditions does hot water freeze faster than cold?"

Then the next step would be to propose tests to answer the question.

Typical Quack tactic: Make assumptions based on no data, reach the wrong conclusion and act smug.

I have in fact done the experiment. Pretty simple, take 2 glasses of water one hot and one cold and put them outside in winter and monitor - the colder glass repeatedly froze first.

Now there are instances where the hotter water will freeze first as is discussd here: Hot or Cold
well it is nice to see some discussion for a change... thanks Origin...

All very good comments.

So it seems that the conditions are variable enough to say that hot water does not freeze faster.

The rates of change in the water molecules, in relation to temperature, would not be drawn in a perfectly straight line on the graph, but there will be be curves and even parabolic curves, with small platforms, showing when molecules resist change.

This means that in some conditions hot water will freeze quicker. But note in the article refered to in Origin's post, that water below a certain temperature may not freeze as quickly as expected.

As a whole the argument is solved in understanding that molecules are dynamic and the speed of changes in behaviour has a lot to do with results, and once atoms find a place where there is little demand on change, they prefer not to be changed.

In the case of the hot water, they are unsettled and stimulated and more likely to respond to changes.
If they are too cold they will readily absorb heat.

Two conditions active with heat and active with cold.

Would anyone say that the cold state of atoms is less energetic, or has less energy than the hot state?

The immediate answer is the heated atoms have more energy, but do they, and is a cold atom just as involved with using energy?

Gerhard:

... but according to the high minders, I am just trolling and don't know anything, so I'll stick to the most skeptical idea, of Origin, and say that it cannot be proven and science has no answer therefore nobody can know or should know, and they are mental if they claim to.

Why do you put so much stock in Origin's opinions and so little in other people's?

Why do you regard Origin as the final authority on science or skepticism?

Gerhard:

Why do you put so much stock in Origin's opinions and so little in other people's?

I am a bit baffled by that too.

Additionally, what gave you the impression that I think this:

so I'll stick to the most skeptical idea, of Origin, and say that it cannot be proven and science has no answer therefore nobody can know or should know, and they are mental if they claim to.

I thought the article from SciAm explained things pretty well.

I am a bit baffled by that too.

Additionally, what gave you the impression that I think this:

so I'll stick to the most skeptical idea, of Origin, and say that it cannot be proven and science has no answer therefore nobody can know or should know, and they are mental if they claim to.

I thought the article from SciAm explained things pretty well.

Just keep in mind that you're talking about a proven (by his own words) rock-solid nut case here. He doesn't live on the same planet with the rest of us. <shrug>

Just keep in mind that you're talking about a proven (by his own words) rock-solid nut case here. He doesn't live on the same planet with the rest of us. <shrug>

So only a nut would listen to me - I feel lots better now.:)

Gerhard:

My reply to be skeptical went in support with the first answer Origin gave - that hot water does not freeze quicker.
According to other articles, that is not the case, but it depends on conditions, allowing both results.
And in the remark that nobody can know and is considered a NUT if they say anything contrary to 'science' was to show what attitudes I am up against if I don't stick with the most conservative and skeptical opinion.

I can count on dear Origin to take that road...I think his views represent that class.

I was a bit unfair to link my comment right after his name though,
I liked his post and article.

Yes. Temperature is a measure of the average translational kenetic energy of the atoms/molecules in a substance.

So temperature is a measurement of energy.

There can be relationships of energy, such as magnetism and heat.

A magnet will often lose its magnetism when heated, and increase its magnetism when cooled.

Can magnetism be a measure of energy, and if so does that mean that the cold molecules are as energised as the hot?

well maybe Origin can answer why he posted the above...?

That's fine, his article is all that's needed to start. It does not really matter what the answer is, but we hope to find out why it can produce both results under different conditions, which has already been answered in part by Origin's post and following posts by others, except for James and Readonly who are busy correcting nuts.

OnlyMe has worked out an important relationship between available energy in hot molecules, and the demand in cold molecular behaviour. Very close. But we'll get to the why and that will unlock knowledge about all types of elemental molecules etc.

OnlyMe has worked out an important relationship between available energy in hot molecules, and the demand in cold molecular behaviour. Very close. But we'll get to the why and that will unlock knowledge about all types of elemental molecules etc.

OnlyMe, was tossing out a wild uninformed guess, attempting to describe what some heated water might have in common with frozen water. If it were ever proven to have been even marginally close to what is "really" taking place, it would have been purely by accident.

Back