Question for believers in ID.

Grumpy,

God:

''God usually refers to the single deity in monotheism or the monist deity in polytheism.''

''God is often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of humans and the universe''

''God has also been conceived as being incorporeal (immaterial), a personal being, the source of all moral obligation, and the "greatest conceivable existent".''

''The earliest written form of the Germanic word God (always, in this usage, capitalized) comes from the 6th century Christian Codex Argenteus.''

''Theism generally holds that God exists realistically, objectively, and independently of human thought; that God created and sustains everything; that God is omnipotent and eternal;''

''In the English language, the capitalized form of God continues to represent a distinction between monotheistic "God" and "gods" in polytheism.''

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odin:

''His name is related to ōðr, meaning "fury, excitation," besides "mind," or "poetry." His role, like that of many of the Norse gods, is complex.''

''Worship of Odin may date to Proto-Germanic paganism. The Roman historian Tacitus may refer to Odin when he talks of Mercury. The reason is that, like Mercury, Odin was regarded as Psychopompos, "guide of souls."''

jan.

Jan Ardena

Yes, both are inventions of man's intellect. I have a book with 1800 of them, summarizing their origins and originators, major precepts and beliefs and characteristics of their deity(s). I find none of them have a bit of sense to them but lot's of credulity and...er...imaginative concepts not that different from some forms of fiction(in fact, L. Ron Hubbard, father(inventor)of the Scientologist religion, was a fair SF writer).

Grumpy:cool:

kx000,

As far as I can tell, you don't have any of the usually-claimed abilities of a god. And neither do I.

kx000,

As far as I can tell, you don't have any of the usually-claimed abilities of a god. And neither do I.

Not necessarily. It may be a matter of time. There are many different possibilities why we aren't shooting thunder bolts right now. My statement stands, sir.

James R,

Which one of these is God then?

http://www.godfinder.org/

Or, can I find God here?

http://www.godchecker.com/

Didn't you read my last post? :shrug:

I'd like to know who the ONE TRUE GOD is, please.

No you wouldn't.
You're just saying that because you believe you have the upper-hand. ;)

But all you've done is what you normally do, by-pass anything that doesn't fit
into your worldview, and carry on with the same old argument, as if you'd never seen anything
that contradicts it.

jan.

Jan Ardena

Yes, both are inventions of man's intellect. I have a book with 1800 of them, summarizing their origins and originators, major precepts and beliefs and characteristics of their deity(s). I find none of them have a bit of sense to them but lot's of credulity and...er...imaginative concepts not that different from some forms of fiction(in fact, L. Ron Hubbard, father(inventor)of the Scientologist religion, was a fair SF writer).

What is the name of the book you mention? It sounds like an interesting read... for when I'm on the throne.

Ellis

The Routledge Dictionary of Gods and Goddesses, Devils and Demons

First published in German in 1984 as Lexicon der Götter und Dämonen by Alfred Krämer Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany

This translation first published in 1987 by Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd

This reissue published 2004 by Routledge 11 New Fetter Lane, London EC4P 4EE

Simultaneously published in the USA and Canada by Routledge 29 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001

"From classical Greek and Roman mythology to the gods of Eastern Europe and
Mesopotamia; from Nordic giants to Islamic jinns and Egyptian monsters, this classic
dictionary is packed with descriptions of the figures most worshipped and feared around
the world and across time. Fully cross-referenced and with over 100 illustrations, it also
features two handy appendices listing the functions and attributes shared by these
deities and demons.
Covering over 1800 of the most important gods and demons from around the world,
this is the essential resource for anyone interested in comparative religion and the
mythology of the ancient and contemporary worlds."(from the forward)

It's a little dry, but it is a scholarly work that doesn't try to grind an ax either for or against the beliefs represented. I also have it in pdf. I use the actual book as a door stop, it weights almost the same as a desktop tower.

Thor (Old Saxon thunar: Donar, etymologically cognate with German Donner)
Germanic god of thunderstorms and of fertility, belonging to the race of the Aesir
(→As); the son of →Odin and the divine personification of the earth (→ Jörd). He
drives in a chariot drawn by two goats, and possesses the throwing-hammer
Mjölnir. In the Edda, he is described as the strongest of all the gods whom he protects,
along with the human race, against the giants. At Ragnarök, the twilight of
the gods, he slays the → Midgard-snake, but is himself done to death in the
moment of victory. It was to Thor that men turned for happiness in marriage,
and for protection of herds and crops. His sacred tree was the oak (the Donar-oak at
Geismar, felled by Boniface). The Romans took him to be equivalent to →
Hercules or → Jupiter, and the fourth day of the week is named after him.

Anywhere you see arrows it means there are entries on those as well. there are also cross referenced attributes in the apendix.

Back