Purpose of Life

Hi Islamismylife,
Did you ever get a satisfactory answer to your question?
You said you know the answer to the question. I wasn't able to find your answer. What is it?
The question of course assumes there is a purpose to life. Have you considered that the premise is faulty and that there is no purpose to life?
John

because there is thing called pain and remorse (which is also pain)

then the purpose of life would be to avoid pain and the conclusion would be that history of the material world indicates that we have failed in this endeavour at a rate close to 100% (amazingly despite the large failure rate, it has not dampened the optimistic enthusiasm for a successful outcome)

Last edited:
(amazingly despite the large failure rate, it has not dampened the optimistic enthusiasm for a successful outcome)

What do you mean by that? Heaven? That's not quite the same as avoiding death is it? You still have to die to go to heaven (pressuming it exists).

Hi,
Personally, I've thought it apparent that mother nature's agenda is the propagation of life. I know that doesn't explain why there's death, but it does seem to be the one over riding drive in nature.
John

What do you mean by that? Heaven? That's not quite the same as avoiding death is it? You still have to die to go to heaven (pressuming it exists).
no - nothing quite so estoteric - I mean that everyone works in this world under the illusory notion of making a permanent settlement in this temporary world

Because they're cowards.
so if a tall dark stranger approaches you with the desire to slit your throat you find it inconsequential?

Because there is nothing so much to be done with the notion before such a time as you know what it is to be dead, the challenge in the mean time being to pretend that you do know notwithstanding the curiosity, the desire to find out.

then to die would not be the purpose of life but something that is inflicted upon us despite our willing to the contrary

Purpose is an odd word, variously used to indicate that which preceeded or that which follows.

As I pointed put before, what all instances usually have in common is the implication of somebody to allow or prevent, which in the case of death is a notoriously formidable challenge but a common enough desire.
Wouldn't the fact that nobody (in a normal state) desires to die indicate that the purpose of life is not to die but to surmount it (aside from discussions of an after life or not, doesn't everyone make their life busy with plans to escape death in some shape or form?)

Who knows?

Of all that anybody ever tells me, their professed disposition to death is what I am least inclined to take at face value, and that goes for what I'd tell myself.

true - people speak many brave words about death - but actions speak louder than words

lightgigantic said:
no - nothing quite so estoteric - I mean that everyone works in this world under the illusory notion of making a permanent settlement in this temporary world

I still don't follow. Are you saying that people expect to live forever or that, despite knowledge they will die anyway, they actually do stuff?

I still don't follow. Are you saying that people expect to live forever or that, despite knowledge they will die anyway, they actually do stuff?

I am saying that people expect to live forever,or at least death has a tendency to arrive sooner than we would hope for (a 16 year old will be happy to think they will die when they are 30, a 30 year old will be happy to die at 60 and a person on their death bed will be happy to die tomorrow rather than this afternoon)

Well nobody expects to live forever. We never expect to die at any certain time, because from experience, we know of course that we will most likely still be living the next day. But we all know that one day we will be wrong.

Well nobody expects to live forever. We never expect to die at any certain time, because from experience, we know of course that we will most likely still be living the next day. But we all know that one day we will be wrong.

thats the point - there is a gulf between what people acknowledge in their saner moments regarding their own mortality and the general consciousness of a person in their regular daily activities (like for instance it is unlikely they we will be regretting on our death bed that we should have spent more time in the office, yet we have a strong tendency to spend most of our lives working (or preparing to enter the work force if one has a particularly premature death) for the bare necessities of life (food, shelter and companionship) that are actually quite easy to come by.

Back