Proof that if god exists, he is Either a Liar or an Idiot.

Re: Quite sure, Tony

Originally posted by tiassa
I understand that the world seems rather simple when one demands that people adopt and maintain the same perspective.
OTOH, it must seem oh so complex when there are oh so many different opinions out there.

Here is the situation.
The world is oh so very complex to you.
The world is quite simple to me.
Your interpretation of this is that I must not understand the situation, to quote an oh so deep bumper sticker.
My interpretation might differ a wee bit.
I think you're at your limits and I'm not.

From this stark contrast, take something a little more subtle. It seems that Christians do not all share your idea of the reward of heaven versus the idea of hell.
My response is simple.
Read the Bible, and more to the point, read the Bible to find out what it actually says.

How many Christians are there? There's at least that many perspectives to consider. Is it important to be "right" in this perspective?
OTOH, why consider the perspective that is wrong.
Not so much the one I think is wrong, but the one that is wrong, prima facie.

Thus, any perspective, in reference to final judgment of people, that includes the statement "burns forever" when the Bible says "burns up" and "to ashes" can be disregarded.

Similarly, the idea of a death which is actually a life somewhere else can be disregarded.

Seems so, else you risk upsetting the Almighty over some stuff that seems pretty small in the modern world.
Of course, that would be the bizarro world perspective.
The modern world is pretty small in comparison with God.
Thus, it seems important to know that one is "right" in their perspective of faith. Whereas one can avoid this conundrum altogether by avoiding the deliberate adoption of such a faith, it seems the most expedient method of ensuring that one is right in their faith is to assume that they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Here you reveal your RC bias.
Faith is what a person believes if it is true.
It is the collection of a priori assumptions of how the world actually works.
While Catholics can point to a list of statements and say that list constitutes their "faith" because they believe that the RCC believes it is true, real faith isn't like that.

"Rightness" in real faith is easily seen by the believer because the truth is seen as the truth, whereas "wrongness" in faith leads to seeing the truth as a lie.

Baptists, Kingdom Hall, Catholics, Latter-Day Saints. Four churches composed of people who profess faith in a figurehead named Jesus Christ. Since you're the expert in knowing whose faith is or isn't correct, I'll let you begin the dissection of which of these, if any, is right.
See post in other thread asking a very similar question.

So who else isn't, Tony?

My response is simple.
Read the Bible, and more to the point, read the Bible to find out what it actually says.
There's that. And then also enter the idea of people of faith. You know, Tony, other people proclaiming faith in Jesus? You seem to have forgotten about them. Furthermore, you don't seem to care.

Truth of the matter is, Tony, that two people receive information differently; that is, my brain processes according to its data, and yours according to its own. I recognize this possibility. Perhaps you do, too, but you only expresss that such differences mean that someone other than you is wrong, and you simply refuse to be caught examining your own faith with any serious consideration. You oughta try it; we learn much about ourselves, though somehow I understand that one need know nothing about their self when they have God to tell them what to think.

All you do is qualify and disqualify, with no semblance of reason or method. It seems that arrogance is your primary motivation. This behavior hardly qualifies as an imitation of Christ.
OTOH, why consider the perspective that is wrong.
Not so much the one I think is wrong, but the one that is wrong, prima facie.
Please establish 2 sets of facts:

* Facts in evidence
* Facts established prima facie based upon said facts in evidence.

You'll find, I think, that many of the "facts" in evidence are merely statements of faith.
Thus, any perspective, in reference to final judgment of people, that includes the statement "burns forever" when the Bible says "burns up" and "to ashes" can be disregarded.
Demonstrate facts in evidence that support such a statement.
Similarly, the idea of a death which is actually a life somewhere else can be disregarded.
Such as resurrection? Or eternal life in heaven?
Of course, that would be the bizarro world perspective.
The modern world is pretty small in comparison with God.
Please elaborate. Considerations of sin, and what degree God allowed for interpretation of the Word are vital here.
Here you reveal your RC bias.
I hardly think such behavior is limited to Roman Catholics.
Faith is what a person believes if it is true.
No, that's called fact. Facts can be observed, demonstrated, and otherwise supported as true and real. Faith, in the context of Christianity, is believing what one is told they are obliged to believe at the stake of being punished.
It is the collection of a priori assumptions of how the world actually works.
Yes, but assumed at the first ... does that leave no room to correct erroneous assumptions?
While Catholics can point to a list of statements and say that list constitutes their "faith" because they believe that the RCC believes it is true, real faith isn't like that.
Once again a negative identification. I won't risk asserting what faith is, then, since it would either be vicious and assumptive, or else correct and uncomplimentary. Either way, it's the same assertion.
"Rightness" in real faith is easily seen by the believer because the truth is seen as the truth, whereas "wrongness" in faith leads to seeing the truth as a lie.
I would assert that such a condition means that those words in which you have faith are not properly the Word of God. The Canon was expunged, and people of faith have been misbehaving ever since: Catholics, Lutherans, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists ... the whole lot.

It wasn't atheists or Muslims in this country who intentionally infected entire tribes with disease. It seems that God is, in the end, what His people make Him.
See post in other thread asking a very similar question.
True, true. But it's not like that post answers anything except, "Who else does Tony say isn't a Christian?"
The world is oh so very complex to you.
The world is quite simple to me.
And therein lies your problem. You assume much about people in order to maintain your simplicity.

--Tiassa :cool:

I'm very sorry but that was the single most idiotic argument I have ever heard. The verse is saying, very plainly I might add, that the things that are impossible for MAN, I repeat, MAN, is possible for God. That is saying man without God, there are many things that are impossible, but with the almighty God ALL things are possible.

Thank you,

"Fred"

Fred ....

It is, I suppose, a matter of context. On this issue, I side with the explanation you've given. You'll notice, though, that advocates of the Good Book have waited until you got around to the point. I suppose that what I offer here is that there is no concrete interpretation of anything here. We've disagreed about the nature of gravity before, so it seems anything is possible.

To the other, I support FA_Q2's argument and award it validity in the context of contextual vagaries on the grounds that the Book's advocates also seem to have difficulty keeping context. FA_Q2 has done nothing to that Bible passage that hasn't been done by others in advocacy of various points of faith. In fact, there was a discussion on context taking place in its own topic at the time of this topic. I would go so far as to assert that, as an American cultural phenomenon at least, FA_Q2 has represented that passage with no less propriety than much of the hot-button rhetoric being thrown around where faith is at odds with the social condition--e.g. homosexuality, public prayer, &c.

As for all things possible with God ... I would say that this is not exactly correct, despite the Bible. For something to be possible, it implies also the condition of something not being at all. If it is possible to be, it must also be possible to not be. When it's possible, it is not yet.

God is not extraneous. The Universe is not equipped with unnecessary whistles and flashing neon lights; that's just the downtown area. But those things that are, have been, and will be in the Universe were never so much possible as they were necessary, else they would not exist even in concept.

To say that something is possible implies that God has not yet decided to do this. Such an idea suggests a flexibility of will and imperfection of knowledge on God's part. By faith, I believe these aspects are impossible in the sense that should God possibly make a mistake, and tip the scales with lack or abundance .... God does not, unless I am mistaken, make mistakes.

Thus, with God, all things are necessary.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: Fred ....

I believe that God has so much love for us that we can make desisions for our selves, that is why we mess up. So the reply you made is stating that God has descided all the things that has happened, it is not so, not that God can not do such a thing, but God loves us enough not to. Some times, if you love something, or someone, enough, you have to let them go. That is what He did.

thanks,

"Fred"

Fred, I think I understand, but ....

I believe that God has so much love for us that we can make desisions for our selves, that is why we mess up.
Respectfully--to love one enough to set them free is a necessity of circumstance. To what circumstance does God answer, aside from His will?

I would accept the above statement except, in addition to fixing what we mess up with our decisions, there is also the punishment from God that comes later for our sins, which seems enough of a consideration to screw up people's decision-making processes. History demonstrates this in various forms, whether the classic examples of Crusade and Inquisition, or prayer towns or encomienda; also we see society muddled trying to accommodate faith while hammering out more immediate concerns: HIV transmission and sex education, as well as condom use--I understand the faith point of wanting a "sinless" society, but these errors of conduct undertaken by people of faith in an effort to stamp out sin damage the credibility of God's word, and demonstrate a negative effect upon those people who adopt it.

It really does seem like the free will of obey or go to jail. Not much of a choice.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

Let me try to respond to the following statements from Tiassa &n Tony1

1)Once again a negative identification. I won't risk asserting what faith is, then, since it would either be vicious and assumptive, or else correct and uncomplimentary. Either way, it's the same assertion.

2)I would assert that such a condition means that those words in which you have faith are not properly the Word of God. The Canon was expunged, and people of faith have been misbehaving ever since: Catholics, Lutherans, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists ... the whole lot.

3)It wasn't atheists or Muslims in this country who intentionally infected entire tribes with disease. It seems that God is, in the end, what His people make Him.

4)True, true. But it's not like that post answers anything except, "Who else does Tony say isn't a Christian?"

5)And therein lies your problem. You assume much about people in order to maintain your simplicity.

--Tiassa :cool:

1) I think faith is believing something that can't be proven; and that can be a worldview that colors your hopes, a religion, or any system that helps you cope with this world and especially the culture that you grew up in. Whether God exists or not, most people 'know' that answer, which is what ever they believe. And I think we all take it on 'faith' that we're right in whatever answer we do believe in. I personally find it hard to believe that matter & this universe just exist 'ex nihilo', to me, there has to be a 'First Cause' and I believe that that 'Cause' is God. And yes, I take it on 'Faith' that I'm right. I can't prove it, but then no one can absolutly, beyond the shadow of doubt, no hedging bets, prove me wrong.

2) Tiassa, does 'expunged' mean 'taken out'? My understanding of the Early Church Fathers, is that they put in to the Bible, most everything that is in the Catholic Bible, while Protestants left out what they felt was not 'inspired' by God. And unless we are bible scholars, & all those Greek terms, we have to take it on faith that our view of the correctness or falsehood of the Bible, is true.

3) Your right, but what was their motivation? as Christians or as greedy, murderous, landgrabing liars? Did everyone that came over here to steal land, do it as a Christian? Or as people looking for opprtunities, riches, fame, etc.?

By the way, Native Americans had no immunity to Old World diseases, so those that say that Asian, African, or other non-Scandinavian people were here before Columbus, are 99% wrong. Otherwise it would not have killed so many, so quickly. That 1% were the Vikings, there's proof, they left remains, bones, huts, boats, burials, some metals. Any of the others would have brought dynasties, language, writing, art, customs, iron, steel & immunities to a stone-age peopled hemisphere. I think that the Inca knew how to electro-plate gold & had just developed tin when the Spanish came. Ohterwise they all only knew how to work gold & silver.

4) No one, neither Tony1, Tiassa, or Randolfo can tell who or what is a Christian, since God is the ultimate judge of that. And that's, if He exists at all. Again, I have 'faith' that there is a God.

5) I think we all assume we are right, we rationalize our worldview, because we are the center of our world. Those rules apply, which we think apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Response to response

1) I think faith is believing something that can't be proven; and that can be a worldview that colors your hopes, a religion, or any system that helps you cope with this world or the culture that you grew up in.
I tend to agree with you on most counts. On all counts, yes, if we remember that some of coping with culture is factual in that it is empirical and can be validated testimonially, at least. It is not faith, for instance, which compels me to demand that my society treat all people equally. It is, in that twofold model, personal sentiment having experienced various inequities, and also an affirmation of what I know when I observe the social turmoil taking place all around me as a result of a world dedicated to inequity. But I suppose there are faith considerations involved when addressing the situation directly. Foremost is the silly consideration of what is good or bad for the greater idea of humanity. We are a species, and the first on this planet--and known to our scientific, historical, and cultural perception--capable of choosing to destroy ourselves. Thus I find the idea of population control through attrition reprehensible. But to challenge the validity of such considerations as faith would seem to push us into the arena of the laughably existential: Why bother existing? More directly, there is a degree of faith, as well as empirical fact validated variously, guiding how one addresses a "culture". Is a scathing letter to the editor of the local rag really the best way to make a valid point? (Note: I have exscinded here a long digression justifying first the King riots in LA, and then eventually the Seattle WTO riot for different reasons .... Can I just plead that the point is slightly abstract right now? The stories I tell to make this elusive point about addressing the culture become longer than the rest of this post should be.)
2) Tiassa, does 'expunged' mean 'taken out'? My understanding of the Early Church Fathers, is that they put in to the Bible, most everything that is in the Catholic Bible, while Protestants left out what they felt was not 'inspired' by God. And unless we are bible scholars, & all those Greek terms, we have to take it on faith that our view of the correctness or falsehood of the Bible, is true.
My religion teacher in high school even boasted of the trimming to the four. Catholics are generally quite proud of declaring a number of gospels heretical.
The four gospells collected in the New Testament were canonized around 200 CE, apparently by a consensus of churches ... they were chosen not necessarily because they were the earliest or the most accurate accounts of Jesus' life and teaching, but precisely because they could form the basis for church communities.

The canonical gospels were not by any means the only accounts of Jesus' life and teaching .... Some twenty years after Jesus' crucifixion, when Paul traveled to synagogues in Antioch, the capital of Syria, and in Greece and Rome to proclaim "the gospel of Jesus Christ," there were as yet no written gospels. According to Paul, "the gospel" consisted of what he preached, which he summarized as follows: "that Christ died for our sins, according to the scriptures; that he was buried; and that he was raised on the third day" (1 Cor. 15.3-4) .... (Pagels, The Origin of Satan

Two quotes taken from the Gospel of Thomas, cited by Pagels:
Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'Lord, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fishes will precede you." (NHC II.32.19-24)

"Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father." (NHC II.32.25-33.5)

"When will the new world come?" Jesus said to them, "What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it." (NHC II.42.10-12)
Note: NHC = Nag Hammadi C____(?) I cannot remember the name given to the scrolls discovered at Nag Hammadi. (Whoops)

Pagels notes, of Thomas:
Why was this gospel suppressed, along with many others that have remained virtually unknowns for nearly two thousand years? Originally part of the sacred library of the oldest monastery in Egypt, these books were buried, apparently, around 370 CE, after the archbishop of alexandria ordered Christians all over Egypt to ban such books as heresy and demanded their destruction. Two hundred years earlier, such works had already been attacked by another zealously orthodox bishop, Irenaeus of Lyons. Irenaeus was the first, so far as we know, to identify the four gospels of the New Testament as canonical, and to exclude all the rest. Distressed that dozens of gospels were circulating among Christians throughout the world, including his own Greek-speaking immigrant congregation living in Gaul, Irenaeus denounced as heretics those who "boast that they have more gospels than there really are ... but really, they have no gospels that are not full of blasphemy." Only the four gospels of the New Testament, Irenaeus insisted, are authentic. What was his reasoning? Irenaeus declared that just as there are only four principal winds, and four corners of the universe, and four pillars holding up the sky, so there can be only four gospels. Besides, he added, only the New Testament gospels were written by Jesus' own disciples (Matthew and John) or their followers (Mark, disciple of Peter, and Luke, disciple of Paul).

Few New Testament scholars today agree with Irenaeus .... (Pagels, 69)

* Gospel of Thomas
* Gospel of Mary
* Gospel of Mary Magdalene
* Teaching of Silvanus ....

You do have a point, though, about the Maccabees and other books in the Catholic Bible. Anecdotally, I feel the need to relate to you a friend's father, Seventh-Day Adventist who believes the Pope is the antichrist, actually taught his daughter that Jesus said of charity to let the money sweat in your palm until you know to whom you are giving. I find it amusing that he taught his daughter a Catholic tradition found, I believe, in the Didache. However, the more relevant point is that some gospels are heretical while some intentional corruptions of Jesus' sayings have lasted. This is a curious aspect.

But that's about what I mean by expunged.
3) Your right, but was their motivation as Christians or as greedy, murderous, landgrabing liars? Did everyone that came over here to steal land do it as a Christian? Or as people looking for opprtunities, riches, fame, etc.? By the way, Native Americans had no immunity to Old World diseases, so those that say that Asian, African, or other non-Scandinavian people were here are 99% wrong. Otherwise it would not have killed so many, so quickly. That 1% were the Vikings, there's proof. The others would have brought dynasties, language, customs, iron, steel & immunities to a stone-age peopled hemisphere.
It has been asserted by Christians at Exosci, on at least two occasions that I can recall, that the United States is a Christian nation by foundation and tradition. One poster even went so far as to suggest that we owed Christians privilege for all the hard work they did civilizing the rest of us. (Ask black slaves, native Americans, and Chinese railroad workers about Christian civilization .... ) Of the tribes, the knowledge of their susceptibility to disease resulted in a curious practice where, instead of burning smallpox blankets from epidemics, they were traded to the tribes in an effort to wipe them out. No matter how you cut it, the white Americans made a damn strong run at genocide. Furthermore, I just can't believe that Satanists, atheists, and Jews did all that damage on their own. Manifest Destiny, however derivative we can make it by the simple applicaton of Christianity, most definitely is not the fault of the Jews. It needed people to believe that God wanted them to conquer sea to shining sea. While this is hardly a new concept historically, it is also fair to note that most of these people doing the conquering answered to Jesus Christ. Regarding the importing of people to the continent, I think the physical evidence of Punic Ogham (Phonecian) shipping contracts, temples of Bel, and inscriptions on the rocks near the Rio Grande indicate someone made it here. To this end, I would recommend the book America B.C. by Dr. Barry Fell. (Pocket/Simon & Schuster, 1989) As I search for an issue of Scientific American buried somewhere on the bookshelf, I'm tempted to say that an article on mitochondrial DNA from last year implied that sometime in the last few-thousand years, something happened in a couple of regions of North America--new DNA. Inasmuch as anyone could tell, it's northern European. Incidentally, I'm off that idea for the moment (until I find the article) because the first website I came to on mtDNA ( http://www.chattanooga.net/cita/mtdna.html ) says something about Polynesian mtDNA. However, the point is that relatively recently, though less recently than the post-Columbian empires, it seems that someone arrived from somewhere. Perhaps that 1% Vikings. But that would also support Dr Fell's theory, which links alphabets and even languages across the ocean. I'm of the opinion that people arrived frequently. Not many people, mind you. Maybe a few every century. Not all of them were bad guests, either. ;)

I do not refute the lack of immunity to disease, however. I agree 100%. I still think it was ridiculous to exploit the situation, though. Biological warfare is a common idea today, and it was probably around during plague times, too. But it may have been just a little excessive on this continent.

Those stone-agers may well have had electricity ... there exist in the record some curious clay pots with paper-like configurations inside them that seem to have held acidic chemicals. (I have only read one brief article on this.)

4) No one, neither Tony1, Tiassa, or Randolfo can tell who or what is a Christian, since God is the ultimate judge of that.
You'll find no argument from me within what I believe your context to be. And I'll leave it at that for the sake of killing digressions.
5) I think we all assume wwe are right, we rationalize our worldview, because we are the center of our world. Those rules apply.
You have a point there, except that there is a merit to complexity. The more factors you recognize, the less factors you are ignorant of. It is simpler to think that nothing could come of an extinction of a given species. What happens if it's at the bottom of the food chain? Suddenly the issue becomes very complex. As individuals strive toward their goals, they must keep in mind that there are, indeed other people. Macrocosmically, we have seen leaders in some nations attempt to achieve harmony through attrition. More to scale, we might point to my complaints about religion and politics: it has nothing to do with disrespecting diversity, except that one of those diverse opinions seems to demand exclusivity. If we recognize the diversity (complexity) of society, then we are able to get along without stomping on people. If we recognize the complexity of history, we might avoid some of the nagging quirks that have slowed the progress of civilization.

thanx,
tiassa :cool:

Re: Response to response

1) My religion teacher in high school even boasted of the trimming to the four. Catholics are generally quite proud of declaring a number of gospels heretical.

2) Two quotes taken from the Gospel of Thomas, cited by Pagels:

Note: NHC = Nag Hammadi C____(?) I cannot remember the name given to the scrolls discovered at Nag Hammadi. (Whoops)

Pagels notes, of Thomas:

* Gospel of Thomas
* Gospel of Mary
* Gospel of Mary Magdalene
* Teaching of Silvanus ....

3) Of the tribes, the knowledge of their susceptibility to disease resulted in a curious practice where, instead of burning smallpox blankets from epidemics, they were traded to the tribes in an effort to wipe them out. No matter how you cut it, the white Americans made a damn strong run at genocide. Furthermore, I just can't believe that Satanists, atheists, and Jews did all that damage on their own. Manifest Destiny, however derivative we can make it by the simple applicaton of Christianity, most definitely is not the fault of the Jews. It needed people to believe that God wanted them to conquer sea to shining sea. While this is hardly a new concept historically, it is also fair to note that most of these people doing the conquering answered to Jesus Christ. Regarding the importing of people to the continent, I think the physical evidence of Punic Ogham (Phonecian) shipping contracts, temples of Bel, and inscriptions on the rocks near the Rio Grande indicate someone made it here. To this end, I would recommend the book America B.C. by Dr. Barry Fell. (Pocket/Simon & Schuster, 1989) As I search for an issue of Scientific American buried somewhere on the bookshelf, I'm tempted to say that an article on mitochondrial DNA from last year implied that sometime in the last few-thousand years, something happened in a couple of regions of North America--new DNA. Inasmuch as anyone could tell, it's northern European. Incidentally, I'm off that idea for the moment (until I find the article) because the first website I came to on mtDNA ( http://www.chattanooga.net/cita/mtdna.html ) says something about Polynesian mtDNA. However, the point is that relatively recently, though less recently than the post-Columbian empires, it seems that someone arrived from somewhere. Perhaps that 1% Vikings. But that would also support Dr Fell's theory, which links alphabets and even languages across the ocean. I'm of the opinion that people arrived frequently. Not many people, mind you. Maybe a few every century. Not all of them were bad guests, either. ;)

thanx,
tiassa :cool:

1) Whatever branch of Christianity says or claims whatever Gospels are in error, they make their choices based on what they think is true. If the Bible is the Word of God, then it should hopefully stand out from error, and speak to those people it was originally given to, all the way to people of the present, and on to the future. If it is prophecy, history, teaching, it should stand the test of time. Because if it is the Word of the God of the Universe, it should speak to all ages, all peoples, all times. By the way, the early confrontation between Christians & Muslims also produced the "Gospel of Barnabas", which closely follows the Koranic narrative of Jesus' early life.

2) The one I saw was published under the name, "The Nag Hammadi Scrolls", I read the "Gospel of Thomas", and it did not seem biblical to me, one part stands out, were Jesus is kissing Mary Magdalene full on the mouth, I don't think so, maybe for Nikos Kasankegis(sic) (I read him too, but can't spell his name) & modern films with modern ideals.

3) Except for the Vikings, there's no real evidence that any other culture had an impact on any native American tribe. No stories, no place names, no family names, no words or languages, no foods, no writing, no art, no animals, no technology, no resistance to diseases, no genetics.

Any tribe exposed to advanced cultures, usually takes up aspects of it. Look at what happened in New Guinea and Polynesia. If you follow stories of the Jews, in southern Africa scientists were able to prove that the Lembi are Jewish descendents via priestly genes, they followed the Aaronic-line of males via the Y chromosome. And these genes matched Jews from Israel and the Disporia. Among Native Americans, no genetic matches yet. The Lembi also had stories, Kosher laws and customs. Yet they were as black as any African, in other words they looked native! So, if there was contact before Columbus, there should have been myths of the ancient homeland, there should have been customs, words, writing, technology. Look at how quickly Native Americans learned to ride horses, use guns, trade valuables.

Any one coming over with iron, steel or ship-building technology would have made a huge impact on stone age people. Except for precious metals and some tin, there's no evidence that any tribe was other that stone age. Anybody coming over with metal swords would have become kings under any warrior cultures, like the Mayans, Aztecs, Incas to name a few. Look into the arrival of the bow & arrow & how it shook the Mayan world, ( The Forest of the Kings" is good). There should be words in common, for those tribes that came in contact with these pre-columbian Europeans or Asians. When white, black or yellow people first showed up they should have been called mythological names that could be traced to their homelands. Like 'egyptl', 'chintl', japantl', irishtl' in Aztec Nahua. They should have had elephants, horses, etc. in their art. Why didn't they use the wheel? Why weren't the Spanish faced by an army of Muslims, or Buddhists, or Druids, or Jews, or whatever religion of these pre-columbian way-farers? They should have common writing, either Phoenician, Greek, Latin, Chinese; which except for the Mayan glyphs and Aztec picture drawing there is no evidence that that any Native American tribe used writing.

There has to be some tangible evidence. Look at the Mexican people, a mixture of Spanish & Indian. The Mexican Spanish dialect, has Aztec & other Indian words in it. Mexican food, has Spanish & native foods mixed together. Mexican art & architecture, a mix of European & Indian styles. Why? Because there was definite contact. Anyway, there is usually proof left, the Vikings left long houses, bones and stories. All the others didn't leave a thing. . Why? probably because it was wishful thinking or speculation. Notwithstanding your examples, which I want to look at later. Live long and prosper!!

Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

...other people proclaiming faith in Jesus?
They need to read the Bible, too.

...Perhaps you do, too, but you only expresss that such differences mean that someone other than you is wrong, and you simply refuse to be caught examining your own faith with any serious consideration. You oughta try it; we learn much about ourselves, though somehow I understand that one need know nothing about their self when they have God to tell them what to think.
What is the point of examining one's faith?
If it is a list of statements that one can assent to, examination probably won't help much.
OTOH, if it is belief in that which is true, why on earth would it require examination?
Do you examine your faith in sidewalks before you use them?

You'll find, I think, that many of the "facts" in evidence are merely statements of faith.
Except for the word "merely," absolutely true.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
(Hebrews 11:1, KJV).

Demonstrate facts in evidence that support such a statement.

For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
(Malachi 4:1, KJV).

The concept of people burning forever cannot be found in the Bible.

Such as resurrection? Or eternal life in heaven?
Neither of these is death.

Please elaborate. Considerations of sin, and what degree God allowed for interpretation of the Word are vital here.
The "bizarro world" comment was intended to highlight the contrast between reality and that which is "small in the modern world.:"

IOW, what the world considers very important, isn't and vice-versa.

No, that's called fact.
This would be the reason for 95% of the debate in this forum.
The "fact" is, that faith is belief in that which is true.
Belief in that which is false is unbelief, stupidity, senselessness, density, etc.
To get an appreciation for this, review other posts and observe how many claim Christianity is false AND that belief in it, is stupid.

Facts can be observed, demonstrated, and otherwise supported as true and real. Faith, in the context of Christianity, is believing what one is told they are obliged to believe at the stake of being punished.
Of course, this is antichristian Standard Myth #1.
Faith is believing that which is true in order to be rewarded.
Given my previous statement, it is stupidity which is punished.

Yes, but assumed at the first ... does that leave no room to correct erroneous assumptions?
Why would one need to correct what "actually" works?

Once again a negative identification. I won't risk asserting what faith is, then, since it would either be vicious and assumptive, or else correct and uncomplimentary.
Neg ID, yeah. You reject positive ID, also.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

You can argue with this to your heart's content.

I would assert that such a condition means that those words in which you have faith are not properly the Word of God.
Au contraire.
I believe the truth and I see the Bible as truth.
Others do not believe the truth and see the Bible as lies.

And therein lies your problem. You assume much about people in order to maintain your simplicity.

You are quite simple, and you assume that you are very complex. I simply disagree with your simple assumption.

It really does seem like the free will of obey or go to jail. Not much of a choice.

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
(Deuteronomy 30:19, KJV).

It is actually the choice between life and death.

Originally posted by Randolfo
1) I think faith is believing something that can't be proven;.... I can't prove it, but then no one can absolutly, beyond the shadow of doubt, no hedging bets, prove me wrong.
Faith is a lot more solid than that...

Faith is the proof; it does not have to be proven.
OTOH, since it is the substance of things hoped for, it is worth finding out what you are hoping for.

4) No one, neither Tony1, Tiassa, or Randolfo can tell who or what is a Christian, since God is the ultimate judge of that. And that's, if He exists at all.
Sure we can tell.
If someone denies that Jesus is Lord, they are not Christian.
If they say that Jesus is Lord, but deny that he died or was raised up, again, they are not Christian.

5) I think we all assume we are right, we rationalize our worldview, because we are the center of our world. Those rules apply, which we think apply.
The Word of God applies.

Re: Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

Originally posted by tony1

The Word of God applies.

To those that believe in God, otherwise most humans go living their lives as if they are the masters (or slaves) of their lives. I think most people are so burdened by life & the cares of this world, that after work, a beer & TV is all they have the strenght to grasp.

I believe that the Word of God applies to the Universe & all His creation, but as free will beings, we control what applies to us, whether we are the masters or the slaves of our own lives, we still control our own thought lives (what goes on in our head) .

And that controls are destiny, if we believe God's Word, we have life; if we don't, we go to the everlasting fire. If God made the Universe, the rules, what can we do? We may be pawns in a universal battle between 'Good' & 'Evil', but what can we do? Even our own governments can force us into things we don't want to do, like wars, rationing, taxes, etc. You can rage against the government, but you still have to follow its rules. Otherwise you pay the price of resistance.

If you fall, do you curse gravity? If you can't fly, do you curse physics? If you are not beautiful, do you curse genetics? We may be pawns in something bigger than us, hopefully we are on the winningside. I have made my choice, & it is to follow God. And I'm not hedging bets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

If you fall, do you curse gravity?
No. And it won't stop people from finding the theoretical particle -- anti-graviton.

If you can't fly, do you curse physics?
No. I will board a plane if I really want to fly.

If you are not beautiful, do you curse genetics?
Well, it depends. Since genes are changeable. I reserved the rights to curse any defected genes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

Originally posted by daktaklakpak

1) finding the theoretical particle -- anti-graviton

2) Since genes are changeable. I reserved the rights to curse any defected genes.

1) if there is any, & if we find it before we blow ourselves up. Art Bell said that there were scientists that wanted to create a 'blackhole' in their lab, I hope they can control it, otherwise its just what we need to suck up our solar system.

2) That's still theoretical; they know how to splice, dice & replicate genes & proteins, but can they insert 'fixes' after the fact? Or does it have to be in utero?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So who else isn't, Tony?

1) if there is any, & if we find it before we blow ourselves up. Art Bell said that there were scientists that wanted to create a 'blackhole' in their lab, I hope they can control it, otherwise its just what we need to suck up our solar system.
Until they invent a quantum generator, I am not worry about someone creating a black hole.

2) That's still theoretical; they know how to splice, dice & replicate genes & proteins, but can they insert 'fixes' after the fact? Or does it have to be in utero?
Gene therapy already undergoes live testing using genetic engineered virus as the carriers. Although not very successful, it's sure a good beginning.

To those that believe in God, otherwise most humans go living their lives as if they are the masters (or slaves) of their lives....
I believe that the Word of God applies to the Universe & all His creation, but as free will beings, we control what applies to us, whether we are the masters or the slaves of our own lives, we still control our own thought lives (what goes on in our head) .
This sounds a little like you've bought the atheist fallacy.

The Word of God applies to everybody at all times, including those that do not believe.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. ...
(Psalms 14:1, KJV).

Just sincerely believing there is no God does not make it so.
Thus the "fool" thing.
At the last judgment, even atheists will understand what that verse means.

not only a god, but gods exist. The only thing the poster provided is not proof. His argumentation started here:

Matthew Chapter 19, Verse 26
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Do you think God lies biblically speaking?

God can do anything according to his will. And what`s his will? Holy Will

Why I adjectivized "will" with "holy"? Because the God of gods is Holy and His Name is Holy.

If all things are possible with god, then why doesn't he/she do something about the state of the world ? I'm not talking about the evil which theists attribute to man's sinful nature but about earthquakes, famine ,floods and other natural disasters.
I believe it can be summed up as follows:

God doesn't know about the state of the world.
He knows about it but chooses to do nothing to improve things.
He knows about it but is unable to improve things.

So, as the saying goes, if you want a job done, do it yourself. Let us all be proactive and stop wasting time grovelling and seeking forgiveness for being human and, as some would have it, made in god's image and likeness.

So, as the saying goes, if you want a job done, do it yourself.

But as Twain accurately stated, the minute we do that job, god pops up just in time to get credit for it. "Thank god"... everyone forgets the firemen etc that actually did all the work:

Just so with diseases. If science exterminates a disease which has been working for God, it is God that gets the credit, and all the pulpits break into grateful advertising-raptures and call attention to how good he is! Yes, he has done it. Perhaps he has waited a thousand years before doing it. That is nothing; the pulpit says he was thinking about it all the time. When exasperated men rise up and sweep away an age-long tyranny and set a nation free, the first thing the delighted pulpit does is to advertise it as God's work, and invite the people to get down on their knees and pour out their thanks to him for it. And the pulpit says with admiring emotion, "Let tyrants understand that the Eye that never sleeps is upon them; and let them remember that the Lord our God will not always be patient, but will loose the whirlwinds of his wrath upon them in his appointed day."

They forget to mention that he is the slowest mover in the universe; that his Eye that never sleeps, might as well, since it takes it a century to see what any other eye would see in a week; that in all history there is not an instance where he thought of a noble deed first, but always thought of it just a little after somebody else had thought of it and done it. He arrives then, and annexes the dividend.

Back