Proof that if god exists, he is Either a Liar or an Idiot.

tetra

Hello
Registered Senior Member
My argument is based off of two verses in the Bible.
<b>
<i>Matthew Chapter 19, Verse 26 </i>
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
</b>

In this bible verse, Jesus says that with god all things are possible.

<b>THIS IS WRONG.</b>
If everything is possible, it is impossible for an impossible situation or event to occur, and therefore, everything cannot be possible.

Heres an easier way to put it:

For the sake of argument, I will assume that everything is possible. Because everything is possible, there is nothing that <i>cannot</i> happen or occur. Something that is impossible cannot exist in a universe where everything is possible.

<b>I repeat, it <i>cannot</i> exist</b>.

So, the very nature of the "Everything is Possible" theory directly contradicts and disproves itself, because for everything to be possible, it must be impossible for an impossibility to occur/happen, which is impossible :)
<b>
So what? Jesus was wrong. What does that have to do with god?
</b>
<b>
<i>Revelation Chapter 21, Verse 5 </i>
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. </b>

God says that the words of the bible are true, yet the words we discussed above <i>are not</i>!

That means that either god lied to make himself seem more trustworthy, or that with all of his infinite knowledge and wisdom he couldn't understand that the "Everything is Possible" theory is wrong.

Originally posted by tetra
So, the very nature of the "Everything is Possible" theory directly contradicts and disproves itself, because for everything to be possible, it must be impossible for an impossibility to occur/happen, which is impossible

That means that either god lied to make himself seem more trustworthy, or that with all of his infinite knowledge and wisdom he couldn't understand that the "Everything is Possible" theory is wrong.

OTOH, maybe God doesn't get lost in trying to track the state of possibility of an impossible impossibility the way you just did.

Apparently, you think that if it is impossible for an impossibility to occur, that must mean that something is impossible.

However, your two negatives cancel, thus making it possible for a possibility to occur, yet you claim this can't happen.

Rethink this.

try to keep a open mind about things. everything and anything is possible, evan the impossible, but what is impossible is always possible.

Bye, bye Howie

Okay Howie, uh, ATHEISTHATER, er, Jehovah - oh, whoever you are this week~

Apparently you're out to demonstrate that all religionists are insane by pretending to be one and then acting like some kind of nutcase to prove the point? Not very subtle, Howie. In fact, it's pretty transparent. Not to mention, annoying. If you have a case against religion, why not come out and state it in a forthright and honest manner? As it is, you're simply an irritation and an embarrassment to those in each camp, and you're contributing nothing of worth to the debate.

~Emerald

I'm too lazy to look it all up, but ....

Tetra--

If everything is possible, it is impossible for an impossible situation or event to occur, and therefore, everything cannot be possible.

I believe Augustine covered this in City of God, whereby the only limitation placed upon God is the contradictory: one cannot ask God to create a stone too heavy to lift; one cannot ask the boundless to exceed its boundaries; one cannot, by nature of what the words mean, ask God to create a square circle.

However, I must also confess that, even if my citation of Augustine is not the correct one, the idea of the contradictory limit is one that is most often offered in defense of the existence and supremacy of the God of the Christian Bible. (If I'm wrong, though, there will be about four people to remind us both with the proper citation.)

But I think the whole of the creation and fall of mankind, as related by Genesis, demonstrates the same point you're illustrating--or, to be fair, my perception thereof. God, in the Genesis question, is either cruel or an idiot. And that accusation can even be blanched and tenderized to make it less unpalatable to the faithful: We might assert, then, that God's error came not in cruelty, but in a fundamental programming of human nature, by which humanity has elected a separate standard of propriety which suitably accomplishes certain progress yet still defies God in that the standard does not take His instruction by the letter.

Perhaps God's Kingdom could have come in earlier times with a little more force and conformity. But that could have did not, and the reality of today's world is that God's wisdom apparently seems to be a prescription for the salvation of the human race through attrition. Of course, myself believing in the Universe as opposed to God, per se, I tend to think that the God of the Christian Bible never did actually know or attempt to relate the reality of His boast. I equate this idea to a peculiar human trait--notably American--by which an individual looks at their lot in life and decides that yes, it is okay to trade certain "rights" of being human in exchange for the illusion of security. My own father, under the illusion that music causes crime, many times advised me that he was happy to forfeit part of his First Amendment right if it would stop the decline of society. I can't begin documenting the degree of assumption in such a notion. Yet the American culture is only now getting around to exploring the idea that the truth upon which its social policies are based might actually be subjective and arbitrary. When Gore called his music inquisition in the Senate in the '80s, how many politicians and pundits and advocates and preachers did we say, "I believe in free speech, but there has to be limits to what you can say"? God is, by this logic, shortsighted in the notion that He does not realize that we are not programmed to a specific standard that He believes us to be. That is the least cruel I can be to the question of what God was thinking in Genesis. Perhaps similar difficulties of foresight affect the Infallible One in the passages you've described. Perchance also it might be that the passages are not God's words, per se, but human words for human issues, and not intended to be Universal except that someone in need of quick credibility put God at one end of the idea.

Anyway, two cents or so on that, kind Tetra.

now then ...

Howard!

I would be wise to stand on Emerald's advice to you. But maybe it's my liberal dander, or a stoner's impatience, or nicotine withdrawal, but I'm just stupid enough today to undertake the chunk of nonsense you've vomited across this topic.

Again you and the other freaks here are assuming that a god, which you don't believe in, must abide by the writings of men who have been dead for 2000 + years!
But Howard, that's the way it must be. You see, the people who believe in this God insist that so much about God is already known and final that it is difficult to learn more about this God without transgressing a number of His prescribed boundaries. It's a vicious cycle perpetuated by His followers. After all, I agree with the part about the old men dead for millennia. However, without them, neither you nor I would be compelled to give thought to the subject, because that God would not be present in world cultures today, except as a relic faction in the Middle East, if even that.

Each here malign God!
I think it would be fair if mankind asserted that God started it. Eden was a bad joke, at best.

Just try to imagine how a bunch fuckheaded idiots might draw conclusions about "Tetra/Tiassa" in a thousand years, based on recorded sci-posts of the early 21st Century, given the scrutiny that you and the other fags have given Jehovah.Hey, Fair is Fair, you fairy!
Well, if they took Tetra/Tiassa as a religion, then your profane reference would pretty much cover their state of mind.

On the other hand, it seems that Tetra/Tiassa has not yet declared that Thou shall have no other gods before Me. To be honest, I doubt it will. What's up with IHVH?

What proof is there that an undescribed and all knowing Deity is either a liar or idiot?
It lies in the theology constructed around that deity. It has Perfect Knowledge and an Immutable Will. That God could will the present human condition hardly challenges the intellect. But things get strange when we apply the idea that God saves and punishes based on a set of standards that, as I explained in the above portion to Tetra, do not necessarily reflect what is applicably best for the greater human interest.

According to US laws, one is innocent until proven guilty.
An American woman sued God in the late '70s or early '80s after lightning caused a tree to fall on her house. The court ruled in her favor but noted that it had no precedent for enforcement, and left collection of debts to the plaintiff and her attorney.

Your trial, as fragmented as it seems, demonstrates exactly the point. When those writings are all we have enforcing that God's credibility, that God becomes, well, laughable. Thank you for making such a wonderful summary of it.

Who is to be judged?

FOR HE WHO IS WITHOUT GUILT MUST CAST THE FIRST STONE UPON THE GUITY.

HAVE A NICE DAY FAGGOTS ! ! !
Wow, a rhetorical question, and two cliches designed to terminate the issue. Emerald, are you catching this?

And Howard ... your fixation on homosexuality, combined with that deep-seeded, incoherent rage tells me that you probably need to spend some quiet and alone time with yourself and get to know that secret you that is almost killing to get out.

Tony1--

And there you go doing the same, but that's not the point. You're reading it diffrent from Tetra, and I'm probably reading it different from you both. But your response does little to settle the conundrum as I think Tetra has expressed it. What you're onto here ... if I ever think of a good way to put the question, we can burn whole topics on it. But I'm suddenly fatigued from trying to keep track of something even more difficult than God's impossibilities: Howard's faggot-demons.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

tiassa, your right.

I was being a little too broad, so I shouldve made the topic :

"If there is a god and everything in the bible is truley the word of god, then god is either an idiot or an asshole"

Tetra: I guess you didn't name yourself after the little fish, but after a tetrahedron? If, as Christians claim there is a God of the Universe, then you are deffently puttting yourself publicly in a no win situation. If, there is no God, then you statement is null & void, why call out to a non-existant being? But are you sure you need to rage against God? Or is your anger toward His human representatives?

Also, I think your impossible statement needs to be either Vend diagramed, disected or something to follow it.

I'm interjecting. Truly, my apologies.

But are you sure you need to rage against God? Or is your anger toward His human representatives?

I'm of the mind that under any circumstances represented nearly accurately by the Bible or its adherent tradition, rage against both is fair. Though it sounds flippant, this is the way God wants it. What happens in our world is the natural result of existence.

What I mean by that is well-represented in a couple of the places in the Bible. To look at it with a sense of allegory or metaphor, we might say that sin entered the moment Eve considered the Serpent's argument.
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. (Genesis 3.5-6)
When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, she chose to defy God. At this moment, sin is possible, and does not await the picking. This independence might be what fuels God's anger in Genesis 3.22, when He fears that humans can become His equal. But the power to choose, as opposed to obey undermines God's authority in the simple fact that choice is a response to the internal while obedience is a response to the external.

But it seems the God Who Knows either A) Did not foresee this disobedience, or else B) Foresaw it, and chose that it was good. Thus, it would seem that when God sent His Only Son to save humanity, he was sending His Only Son to save humanity from His Blunder (A), or His Will (B). God was either unable or unwilling to prevent this breach of obedience. In the case of (A), and assuming that God hoped to keep harmony with humankind, it demonstrates that God can, indeed, make mistakes. In the case of (A) and God's indifference toward harmony with humankind, we then see that this fall from grace was God's will. In the case of (B), well, it was God's Will, period, and designed to go this comparatively poorly from the start. Even with this simple example, I think it's fair to wonder what the hell God was thinking, and perfectly acceptable to be upset at the fact that He has never particularly cared to answer.

As to God's people ... well, they dig their own damn grave. I'm sorry to put it that way, but it's a matter of appearances versus a matter of inner reality. There are, I know, at least a handful of Christians who are living damn near right who we never hear from because they know how to preach the Word. They realize that they are the living manifestation, and that only that living manifestation can communicate. They rarely evangelize as we might recognize from the culture at large because they know that such chatter only adds to the discord. They don't pay attention to the preacher when he tells them how to vote because God told them to trust in what is right, and not what people say is right. These sorts of things. However, if these people composed the majority, or even a visible segment of the Christian body social, the absurd notions that God gives a rat's behind about Marilyn Manson or King Diamond, or the gender of your sexual partner, or what kind of novels you read, or how much leg you show, or anything so petty when compared to the African famine would simply not trouble the rest of society. I'll paraphrase Bill Maher to say that I would certainly try to be a Christian, if only they would first.

Among Americans, I cannot say I've ever had to vote against a Muslim-derived repression, or a Wiccan-derived repression. But in my day Christianity has sounded off on virtually everything having to do with freedom: written word, music, television, theatre, intoxicants, dancing, attire, medicine, crime, and families. And they've been wrong, for reasons that sometimes escape me, every time!

* Music: Don't tell me I can't listen to this because the word Satan is on the album.
* Written word: How does it violate your right to free religion that this or that book is allowed publication, distribution, or a station in a public library? Yet I've heard this asserted several times in my life.
* Television: Why does the censor make it come out, "___-damn!" Or, "Jesus H Baldheaded ______!" Truly, why can I not show "Anal Aviators" on CBS at 8am on Saturday morning? (Specifically, why do laws exist preventing me from doing so?) And then there's Wildmon, Wildmon, Wildmon!
* Theatre: Run Hair or Rocky Horror Show or Lips Together, Teeth Apart in a town with a loud conservative voice. It's always fun to listen to the church-people whine about sin and degredation and homosexuality and nakedness and all that dumb stuff.
* Intoxicants: I live in the United States of America; such a point of argument should suffice, but that's not fair. I am born and raised beneath the spectre of prohibition; it worked so well as a Constitutional Amendment that they had to revoke it and carry it on in the name of Commerce. Why is it illegal in some states to be able to see into a tavern from the outside? Why should I not drink liquor on Sunday, though that rule seems to have slipped by the wayside on a cultural level at the wholesale level. Why is caffeine on the no-no list for so many faithful in this country? (Specifically, I don't see how the two go hand in hand: caffeine and faith in God.)
* Dancing: Quakers don't dance, they rhythm. This is the best explanation I've ever heard; I accept it wholeheartedly. On the other hand, some of the same prohibitions maintained against dancing today by some churches are the same prohibitions that invented the Charleston, because technically, it wasn't a dance. (A point of form ... hey, the slaves didn't make that rule.)
* Attire: Why the heck do we still have separate dress codes? Why is ... oh, her, right there! Why is her skirt "too short" for school or the workplace? Why does the law say that clothing is optional in Eugene, Oregon? (Specifically, why is it written in to begin with? For what reasons could this not be the natural assumption, that clothing is not required?)
* Medicine: I'll throw the slider at abortion: Specifically, why was a cancer-fighting drug illegal? Why did American minds have to travel abroad to work with this drug? Why was the fact that it goes in a cocktail that causes a miscarriage the reason it is illegal? I have to admit, it wasn't the atheists crying foul.
* Crime: I am not the person at this board; nor the nationally-syndicated, corpulent-windbag radio host; nor the California-based, nationally-syndicated columnist; nor one of the many, many people in this country who point out the rising crime rate as evidence of the necessity of prayer in public schools.
* Families: Again, I live in the United States of America. I don't know where to begin with what is wrong with religion and family. Especially American religion. It helped make "Family Values" a hot-button political issue. That and an idiot named Quayle.

Please, Randolfo, do not take me wrong: what I am attempting to summarize for you is the simple fact that over the course of my life, the Christian voice has consistently disagreed with me for reasons more directly related to an idyll than to what I've been able to discern from my own observation and experience. Consider these couple of ideas, please: It took the liberals to moderate me; it took the Clinton administration to turn me back into a liberal. In a like vein, I would apply the slightly-vicious tag: It took Christianity to make me a realist.

In the end, I think it's fair to hold some resentment toward the human representatives because they've made such a stinking mess of it, on the whole. Consider the sometimes ugly idea of The world would be better off without Christianity. Calls to mind some chilling ideas. When I feel that way, I know very well it is impatience, but it isn't particularly chilling because it is merely a notched-up version of the crux of the problem: I would, all things told, prefer to be indifferent to Christianity the way I'm indifferent to Hinduism. I also, all things told, would appreciate it very much if Christianity would allow that condition to exist. People have often told me, of Christianity: Don't throw Baby Jesus out with the bathwater. I assure these persons, wherever they may be, that I have taken it to heart. Again, it's a little vicious, I admit, but it's worth noting that I have not fled these loving shores, despite the threat I perceive in Christianity. But I've hammered the point over and over at Exosci that something is wrong if the "proper" Christians aren't shushing the idiot-fringe of the evangelical wing. For instance, I dismissed two Kingdom Hall evangelists a couple of weekends back, as politely as I could, for they, too, were exceptionally polite and also sensitive to the reputation that preceded them. In the end, the five or so minutes we spent while I smoked on the porch was as much as I could give them, and a little more just for good measure. Why? They were exceedingly polite, and the German gentleman seemed quite amused at his companion's failure to get the hint that they were being rebuffed. I respect that gentleman's perspicacity. He operated on the principle that they have been kindly rejected, and it's best to leave now before the younger one put another dent in the reputation and therefore evangelical credibility. (And the younger one did, but it was generally cute, as parts of the conversation whizzed by him. I mean, how often do you get to swap Catholic jokes with a Jehovah's Witness? Really?)

But this sort of thing is needed on the cultural stage, too. And that the wiser voice does not restrain the misguided notion, that the appearance of apathy dwells on the excited brows of the gathered faithful (have you read my Jesus-Fair bit?), and that the reasons I've heard expressed justifying idiocy like censorship in values alleged to be Christian ... it is, I think, fair to be more than a little upset at the human representatives of God. I mean, it's just my opinion based on my own perspective, but perhaps that's part of the point. Maybe all the difference in the world would have been the presence of a single advocate of this religion who could present it without representing a snake-oil reality. At no time have my experiences with Christianity accomplished what it would seem any reasonable Christian would hope for. I would say it was a disappointing revelation, but, frankly, I was focused on other miseries--some self-invited. But I can think of at least one depressing song lyric off the top of my head--Reznor, I hurt myself today to see if I still feel. Hurting oneself is often part of the learning process, and I'm not necessarily talking about drugs or sex or ... well, okay ... sex and what the "normal" relationship can do to the brightest of minds (well, not bright enough, apparently). But on such occasions that I would hurt myself and drag others down with me, when I finally came around and realized how I was behaving ... there were no gods or devils; no burden of confession. There was me, and the people who love me. Obviously they do or else they wouldn't still be around. And suddenly I was hurting myself less and less, until now it's pretty much an elective thing. And I do feel that Christianity limits that sense in people; I did not ever feel it while I answered to the God of the Christians. I was too worried about God to make sure I wasn't hurting myself. And I see the same thing happening to a macrocosmic--as such--through the culture. I sometimes wonder if those people ever realize when they're hurting themselves, and how hard it is to stop hurting oneself. And when I look at the difference between how I felt then and how I feel now, I want nothing more than to rip those stale myths out of that poor soul's conscience and give them the chance to stand up to their own self for a change, instead of burying it back in God's shadow.

And, Randolfo, I wanted to explain again that this tantrum of mine is not directed at you specifically; I know little of you or your ideas at present. But I came across an inch-wide opening and truly needed to unload a mile or two. Or something like that.

Your question to Tetra was a springboard waiting for me to double-jackknife right into the yogurt, as the saying went. Thanx much for that.

And thank you ... and you ... and you ... and everyone who has to put up with me tonight .... ;)

--Tiassa :cool:

Last edited:
Re: I'm interjecting.

Originally posted by tiassa
... either A) ..., or else B) ... (A), or ... (B). ... (A), and ... (A) ... (B), ... Even with this simple example, I think it's fair to wonder what the hell God was thinking, and perfectly acceptable to be upset at the fact that He has never particularly cared to answer.
(C) A superior intelligence might actually know better, so why not consider learning from him.

As to God's people ...However, if these people composed the majority, or even a visible segment of the Christian body social, the absurd notions that God gives a rat's behind about Marilyn Manson or King Diamond, or the gender of your sexual partner, or what kind of novels you read, or how much leg you show, or anything so petty when compared to the African famine would simply not trouble the rest of society.
OTOH, God cares about it all.

... for reasons that sometimes escape me, every time!
It could be the THC.

In the end, I think it's fair to hold some resentment toward the human representatives because they've made such a stinking mess of it,
Based on what you've written in previous posts, you've chosen some religion at random, found that some call it Christianity, described what proponents of that religion have done and then proceed to denigrate it.

That is a lot like taking a counterfeit bill and denouncing the real currency because the fake is not legal tender.
Duh.
But on such occasions that I would hurt myself and drag others down with me, when I finally came around and realized how I was behaving ... there were no gods or devils; no burden of confession. There was me, and the people who love me. Obviously they do or else they wouldn't still be around.
Or they are enablers.
You appear to have traded eternal life and not hurting yourself for not hurting yourself.

I did not ever feel it while I answered to the God of the Christians. ...And when I look at the difference between how I felt then and how I feel now, I want nothing more than to rip those stale myths out of that poor soul's conscience and give them the chance to stand up to their own self for a change, instead of burying it back in God's shadow.
Sounds like that Catholic thing represented as Christianity.

Tony1--

(C) A superior intelligence might actually know better, so why not consider learning from him.
When I meet a superior intelligence, I do.

But your answer has nothing to do with the text you've quoted. Your answer, if I might make the assumption that you're implying the superior intelligence of the god you've chosen to believe in, is already covered in answer B) God's Will.
It could be the THC.
Hardly. But you're starting to sound like a litany.

* I was firmly aware of this pattern well before I ever smoked marijuana. In fact, and just for your benefit, I will mention that THC did eventually affect my perception of this pattern; eventually, I was able to spot certain processes at work in myself that I had criticized in, for instance, Christianity. This process much resembles the first time I realized that my best efforts to not be racist were causing me to be racist. Sure, I might have eventually stumbled onto this idea without marijuana, but the thought occurred to me A) after I had chosen to treat marijuana as a daily factor in my life, and B) shortly after smoking a bowl while listening to the Screaming Trees' Buzz Factory. The only reason I don't call this definitive proof of marijuana's beneficial influence is that it leaves much to assumption in a way that I learned to dislike because such assumptions were exactly what I found so inhospitable about Christianity; the human environment inspired by the perfect Word of God just reeked of them.
Based on what you've written in previous posts, you've chosen some religion at random, found that some call it Christianity, described what proponents of that religion have done and then proceed to denigrate it.
If a man tells me he is a Christian, who am I to call him a liar?

Or, to sum it up, there is a logic problem about two tribes, one which tells the truth, and one which lies. I've long lost the book I had that it was written in, but I can find it if you need. It creates a paradox that is equivalent to a friend of mine looking across the table and saying, "I'm a liar; I always lie; and I'm lying to you right now."

The people who do these things claim to worship Jesus Christ and adhere to the Bible. For instance, as someone who has spent his life learning the art of the written word, there are very few things that I know about writing or the written word. But there is one thing I can tell you now, definitively, if there is no connection 'twixt these people's worship of the Bible and their conduct: If there is no connection between the written word and the people who perceive it, there would be no bestseller lists, and no Christianity based upon the Bible.

Sure, you and I know that a great number of Christians have it wrong. But they were led here by The Book. They were led here by God. This imperfect result is no different from the Bolshevik failure to figure out the Manifesto. Or the accidental waer-loga whose ego compels them to black magick without knowing it.
That is a lot like taking a counterfeit bill and denouncing the real currency because the fake is not legal tender.
Duh.
The counterfeit dollar bill does not consciously choose to be counterfeit, or to be at all.

Duh. :rolleyes:
Or they are enablers.
You appear to have traded eternal life and not hurting yourself for not hurting yourself.
Thank you for demonstrating another result of Christianity which I cannot seem to escape: the need to find the worst in people.

I generally trust people to the best. It's their conduct that is the key. No interventionism, no cold apathy; largely a saga of people trying to figure out how to communicate around the obstacles they perceive until the terms of the situation are obvious.

What more can I ask of those people who would claim to love me than their utmost trust that I will figure it out, and their determination to not knock me onto a tangential course? I once came across a woman having a bad trip at a concert. She was screaming about ... well, many things. But it took about fifteen seconds to calm her down. Had she come across one of the uniforms or security shirts, there enters the likelihood of her being confined in a room and being forcibly injected with other drugs to bring her down.

This seems a dramatic juxtaposition, but essentially, it is that I can always trust these people you've accused. Period. If they feel the need to override my will, they will do so to protect me from someone less trustworthy doing the same. So far, it hasn't had to happen. Even after my most reckless collapses, regardless of the circumstances, the people closest to me have generally stated their opinion and then gotten the hell out of my way, if they bothered to lay it on me at all.

A great example is a story a coworker told me about why he doesn't drink. Apparently, shortly after his twenty-first birthday, he got pissing drunk and passed out somewhere in public, whereupon he was taken to a hospital, injected with some drug that had the random side effect of screwing his heart rate, and being defibbed ten minutes later. Understandably, I wouldn't want to drink again for a while after that. However, if the absolute idiots he was stumbling around with had just taken care of him instead of panicking (I still don't understand that part of it) and calling an ambulance .... It's a common experience. If your friend passed out after jogging for their health, would you at least check their pulse before calling an ambulance? Simple common sense could have saved my associate a bit of pain and difficulty, perhaps.
Sounds like that Catholic thing represented as Christianity.
Some of it was Catholic, but most of it was Lutheran. There's a few other churches and Christian ideas in there, too.

What fascinates me more is your apparent hatred of Catholics. Here's a link I think you'll enjoy: http://www.juicycerebellum.com/league.htm

Thanks Tiassa, I'm glad that you are open, & I think that in your answer, that you tried to give us an understanding of why you believe what you do.

In this world we all will never see eye to eye, I'm sure from your answer that you are a thinking & sensitive person. I don't think we have to agree, as long as we can still talk, share, this is a big wide world, and I like cyberspace. This I think, is what was meant by the 'marketplace of ideas', or 'town hall meeting".

I think you have answered my question from the old exosci board that never got answered in the swap to sciforum, namely if Big Daddy Jay was the same as Mary Jane? I don't agree with drug use, namely because I come from a long line of alcoholics, & I've never seen any good come from that or drugs. Also, I work at a jail's medical unit & believe me, I unfortunetly see the sad ending, & the hard road to recovery, (which so many never take).

Re: Tony1--

Hardly. But you're starting to sound like a litany.
You appear to be claiming that THC has no effect on your thinking ability, yet you use it specifically because it does affect you.
You can't have it both ways.

If a man tells me he is a Christian, who am I to call him a liar?
I don't call Catholics who call themselves Christians liars, either.
OTOH, I don't just take their word for it.

Or, to sum it up, there is a logic problem about two tribes, one which tells the truth, and one which lies. I've long lost the book I had that it was written in, but I can find it if you need. It creates a paradox that is equivalent to a friend of mine looking across the table and saying, "I'm a liar; I always lie; and I'm lying to you right now."
Quite alright. I'm familiar with the paradox.
The people who do these things claim to worship Jesus Christ and adhere to the Bible. For instance, as someone who has spent his life learning the art of the written word, there are very few things that I know about writing or the written word.
You should have paid more attention.

Sure, you and I know that a great number of Christians have it wrong. But they were led here by The Book. They were led here by God. This imperfect result is no different from the Bolshevik failure to figure out the Manifesto. Or the accidental waer-loga whose ego compels them to black magick without knowing it.
Of course, I'm not referring to Christians who have misunderstood some things, or who haven't reached a particular stage of understanding.

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
(Luke 21:8, KJV).
I'm talking about the thing mentioned in the verse above.
Some think that there is a single meaning for that verse, i.e. that many will come claiming to be the Christ.
However, there is another meaning, i.e. that many will come claiming that Jesus is the Christ.
When Jesus said, take heed, he wasn't talking to just Jews or just Christians, he was talking to everybody, incluidng you.

The counterfeit dollar bill does not consciously choose to be counterfeit, or to be at all.
I guess neither does the real one.

Thank you for demonstrating another result of Christianity which I cannot seem to escape: the need to find the worst in people.
Not hard to do...
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(Romans 3:23, KJV).

What fascinates me more is your apparent hatred of Catholics.
Again, don't hate 'em.
They need to know Jesus the same as anyone else.

Thanks for making it easy this time

You should have paid more attention.
You have only demonstrated an assumption. You have, in essence, missed the point, and enacted it at the same time.
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(Romans 3:23, KJV).
The appearance of this response to such a philosophical idea is demonstrative of a stereotype about how Christians think. It is this assumption of unworthiness that compels people to seek unworthiness in others, and to hold others accountable. It is a root of human fear of one another, of superstition, and has resulted in its various incarnations throughout history in racism, sexism, genocide, and sundry of society's goodies. It is the assumption of human unworthiness that drives most of what I object to in Christianity, and it is this necessity of self-loathing that makes it destructive.

Thanks for making it easy this time

You have only demonstrated an assumption. You have, in essence, missed the point, and enacted it at the same time.
Man, you are really not paying attention.
Read your statement again...
there are very few things that I know about writing or the written word.
While I tend to agree with this, I thought I'd point it out in an off-handed manner.
But, no, it has to be turned into a philosophical thing.

The appearance of this response to such a philosophical idea is demonstrative of a stereotype about how Christians think. It is this assumption of unworthiness that compels people to seek unworthiness in others, and to hold others accountable. It is a root of human fear of one another, of superstition, and has resulted in its various incarnations throughout history in racism, sexism, genocide, and sundry of society's goodies. It is the assumption of human unworthiness that drives most of what I object to in Christianity, and it is this necessity of self-loathing that makes it destructive.

Aside from the unsubstantiated assertions, you're just bummed out because you're not perfect and everybody knows it.

Then you'd have your way ....

Aside from the unsubstantiated assertions, you're just bummed out because you're not perfect and everybody knows it.
I know, if only the world was as simple as you want it to be. C'mon, Tony ... do better.

Um ... take a look around, dude

Where is the complexity?
You must be joking. You're a human being on the planet Earth. There are six billion people on this planet; even if you could get everyone to agree on one idea, you'd still be facing six billion different ideas.

take a look around, dude, does "many" equal "complex"?

You must be joking. You're a human being on the planet Earth. There are six billion people on this planet; even if you could get everyone to agree on one idea, you'd still be facing six billion different ideas.
Surely you're not confusing complexity with quantity, or are you?

religion

Originally posted by tetra
My argument is based off of two verses in the Bible.
<b>
<i>Matthew Chapter 19, Verse 26 </i>
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is imposble; but with God all things are possible.
</b>

In this bible verse, Jesus says that with god all things are possible.

<b>THIS IS WRONG.</b>

Heres an easier way to put it:

For the sake of argument, I will assume that everything is possible. Because everything is possible, there is nothing that <i>cannot</i> happen or occur. Something that is impossible cannot exist in a universe where everything is possible.

<b>I repeat, it <i>cannot</i> exist</b>.

could a man turn a lump of coal into gold?impossible eh?could god?probably..

Quite sure, Tony

I understand that the world seems rather simple when one demands that people adopt and maintain the same perspective. But some of us are aware that there are as many interpretations to an idea as there are minds to interpret. What is right for you may not be practical by definition for another. One might avoid the necessity of harming another person if they step back and play bystander while someone's being raped.

From this stark contrast, take something a little more subtle. It seems that Christians do not all share your idea of the reward of heaven versus the idea of hell. How many Christians are there? There's at least that many perspectives to consider. Is it important to be "right" in this perspective? Seems so, else you risk upsetting the Almighty over some stuff that seems pretty small in the modern world. Thus, it seems important to know that one is "right" in their perspective of faith. Whereas one can avoid this conundrum altogether by avoiding the deliberate adoption of such a faith, it seems the most expedient method of ensuring that one is right in their faith is to assume that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Baptists, Kingdom Hall, Catholics, Latter-Day Saints. Four churches composed of people who profess faith in a figurehead named Jesus Christ. Since you're the expert in knowing whose faith is or isn't correct, I'll let you begin the dissection of which of these, if any, is right.

Back