Proof that God exists.

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
In this post I will attempt to prove that God exists. I believe he does. Here is why:

"I <i><b>believe</b></i> he does"-
I would say that's exactly why he really exists.
Maybe it's all a matter of believing.
Believe it. Or not.
<b>
So this sentence is enough to be an excellent prove...</b> ;)

1. Cuasality. Matter cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, since matter exists, that begs a "first cause". Since matter cannot create itself, there must be a God. Since *something* cannot be CREATED by *nothing*... there must be a creator. Therefore God exists.

1. If so, then god is NOTHING. How "has he waken up?"...

2. Design. The world displays intelligent design. This was either done by a "designer" or blind chance. I see scientific proofs of God through astronomy and molecular science as well as other sciences. Since I do not believe that these things are the product of chance, I believe there is a "designer" and he is God.

2. And what's the purpose of that plan of designing??

3. Change. Everything changes. What changes a thing, is itself changing. EVERYTHING is acted upon by something outside itself which causes change. Nothing changes itself. From the tiniest atom up to the very limits of space and time. However large the universe is there eventually must be a limit. Outside the limit of space and time there must be an unchanging thing which caused change to occur. This unchanging source of change is God.

3. And can he change himself??...

If he can, what's the real source?
If he can't, so how does he have the power to do something that he himself "doesn't know" how to do?...

4. Ontological. It is greater for a thing to exist in the mind and also in reality, rather than just in the mind alone. Right? A good definition of God is that being which is supreme, such that no greater thing can be imagined. Now suppose God exists in the mind but not in reality. If that was true, then a greater thing than God could be imagined (namely a supreme being that exist both in the mind AND reality). But this is impossible since God is that being which is supreme, such that no greater thing can be imagined. Therefore God must exist in the mind *and* reality. This concept requires deep thought.

4. <i>"Deep thought"</i>...
right.
Maybe we're the god, but we have forgotten it...!!

And if there are more than one supreme beings, how can they get along without killing each other? What about the balance that's created then?

So we may find that we are all linked to a one and only "being"...

5. Conscience. Ones conscience must come from a higher being. Why? Because it could not have come from something lesser than me. It cannot come from myself (I do not obligate myself absolutely). It cannot come from society. They have no right to force their values on me. I can only derive absolute moral obligation (conscience) from a higher being. Therefore God exists.

So why do I need it? If I didn't have a conscience, I could be free.
if so,
is god free???

6. Moral. Humans are obligated to do good and avoid evil. Atheism cannot teach a moral obligation (see #5). Therefore we derive our moral obligation from God. God exists.

6. Why there's an evil part?
And why the evil IS the evil??
Is god good? Is he bad?
Can he "be" both of them?

What is a "god"?
"Good" is a part of "bad" and "bad" is a part of the "good".

These are some of the main reasons why I believe God exists. There are other important reasons, but I tried to avoid things like emotions, religious experiences, answered prayer, etc. Things that mean NOTHING to atheists.

In the end I cannot sufficiently *prove* God exists, no more than you can *prove* he doesn't. You can't do it absolutely. It is ultimately a choice one makes based on the percepted evidence one experiences.

One more thing... asking me to use science to prove God exists is like me asking you to use religion to prove he doesn't.

Thanks,

-Mike

You're absolutely right,
but anyway you gave us some good points to think about!!
Groove on. :)

(Are <b>WE</b> the god??)

Last edited:
Chosen,

Cris, as the atheist you are, of course you are going to "reasonably conclude that these processes [evolutionary theory] are true." And that "It is reasonable to believe that evolution is true." You use the belief system yourself. Correct?
No, this has nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with logic. Note that I have made reference to inductive logic several times now and I notice you haven’t picked up on those references and you have proceeded to chastise me as if it hadn’t been said. I strongly suspect you are not clear on the difference between deductive and inductive logic.

In case I am right here is a short article on the differences between these very important methods of reasoning.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/blfaq_logic_ded.htm

Here is a copy of the article –

Arguments can be separated into two categories, deductive and inductive. A deductive argument is one in which it is claimed that it is impossible for the premises to be true but the conclusion false. Thus, the conclusion follows necessarily from the premises and inferences. In this way, it is supposed to be a definitive proof of the truth of the claim (conclusion). Here is an example:

1. All men are mortal. (premise)
2. Socrates was a man. (premise)
3. Socrates was mortal. (conclusion)

As you can see, if the premises are true (and they are), then it simply isn't possible for the conclusion to be false.

An inductive argument is one in which the premises are supposed to support the conclusion in such a way that if the premises are true, it is improbable that the conclusion would be false. Thus, the conclusion follows probably from the premises and inferences. Here is an example:

1. Socrates was Greek. (premise)
2. Most Greeks eat fish. (premise)
3. Socrates probably ate fish. (conclusion)

In this example, even if both premises are true, it is still possible for the conclusion to be false. Words which tend to mark an argument as inductive - and hence probabilistic rather than necessary - include probably, likely, possibly and reasonably.

It may seem that inductive arguments are weaker than deductive arguments because there must always remain the possibility of their arriving at false conclusions, but that is not correct. With deductive arguments, our conclusions are already contained, even if implicitly, in our premises. This means that we don't arrive at new information. Thus, the truth-preserving nature of these arguments comes at a cost.

Inductive arguments, on the other hand, do provide us with new ideas and thus may expand our knowledge about the world in a way that is impossible for deductive arguments to achieve. Thus, while deductive arguments may be used most often with mathematics, most other fields of research make extensive use of inductive arguments.

Here is a more precise article on logical reasoning using induction and deduction.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~bio125/logic.Giere.pdf

Most of science is based on inductive reasoning. With induction we talk about the strength of the argument and the degree of probability. The theory of the atom uses inductive logic. No one has ever directly seen an atom, yet there is so much evidence based on the theory, including nuclear bombs that lead scientists to say with a very high probability of confidence that the theory of the atom is true. In other words it is reasonable based on the volume of evidence to consider the theory as if it was fact. However, there is a small possibility that the theory could be wrong.

The conclusions concerning Big Bang theory, and evolutionary theories also come under the category of inductive logic.

When I say it is reasonable to believe a particular theory as if it is true I am not being imprecise or vague. Neither has this anything to do with atheism or theism. This is formal logic and the basis for most of science, and the way we define what is and what is not knowledge.

If the evidence for a theory is considered overwhelming then the inductive argument is considered so strong that it is reasonable to consider and treat the theory as if it were true. This is simply very practical. However, it should always be remembered that there is an element of doubt in every inductive conclusion (no matter how small); it will always be present. So when inductive conclusions are considered as if they are true then it is important to understand how the conclusion was derived.

When someone says they believe something what they are really saying is that they are claiming they know that something is true.

The problem with theism, and your usage of the term belief.

Belief is a claim to have knowledge and not some vague statement that something may or may not be true. If you are not convinced of something then you clearly do not believe it to be true, and hence cannot hold a belief. Note that that is different from believing that something is false, one may simply not know either way and this is always an acceptable position.

Theists claim a belief that the existence of a god or gods is true. I.e. they think they know it is true. If evidence is shown in the form that allows for a deductive conclusion, or at least evidence that can lead to an inductive conclusion based on probability, then the conclusion can be considered logical and hence rational. If there is no evidence (as is the case for theism) then clearly neither deductive or inductive logic can be applied and any such conclusions are therefore outside of the scope of logic and are therefore illogical and hence irrational.

You claim to be a theist, hence you are claiming you know that a god exists, yet you have no evidence. You are therefore illogical and irrational, or you are not a theist.

When you say you are keeping an open mind and state that perhaps a god might not exist then that is contrary to your statement that you believe that a god does exist.

All theists always argue from the assumption and conviction that a god exists. They never express doubt. That is theism. If you express doubt then you are admitting that you simply do not know, and that is atheism.

You are an atheist my friend, accept it. It doesn’t stop you searching for a god. It just means you are able to think within the realm of logic. It doesn’t stop you wanting to believe that a god exists, but to be rational and logical you must provide evidence before you can claim a rational belief.

Evolution.

As for evolution being fact and theory: I find it amusing that you are throwing back at me website references that I have quoted here a number of times long before you appeared. You also need to read your references though, especially the one on misconceptions, you will find this supports my position perfectly. Evolution is fact; there is no doubt, and the processes that allow it to occur represent what is known as evolutionary theory. This is why evolution is considered both fact and theory.

This is the best web reference that summarizes the fact and theory explanation.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html

Some of my favorite quotes –

Darwin continually emphasized the difference between his two great and separate accomplishments: establishing the fact of evolution, and proposing a theory - natural selection - to explain the mechanism of evolution.

Evolution as a process that has always gone on in the history of the earth can be doubted only by those who are ignorant of the evidence or are resistant to evidence, owing to emotional blocks or to plain bigotry. By contrast, the mechanisms that bring evolution about certainly need study and clarification. There are no alternatives to evolution as history that can withstand critical examination. Yet we are constantly learning new and important facts about evolutionary mechanisms.

So I hope all that helps clarify my position a lot better and I hope gives you pause to think and reconsider your claims.

Take care
Cris

Last edited:
Evolution as fact

Chosen and all those interested.

I thought I'd add this since it is critical. It is a quote from the web ref on my previous post

It is time for students of the evolutionary process, especially those who have been misquoted and used by the creationists, to state clearly that evolution is a FACT, not theory, and that what is at issue within biology are questions of details of the process and the relative importance of different mechanisms of evolution. It is a FACT that the earth with liquid water, is more than 3.6 billion years old. It is a FACT that cellular life has been around for at least half of that period and that organized multicellular life is at least 800 million years old. It is a FACT that major life forms now on earth were not at all represented in the past. There were no birds or mammals 250 million years ago. It is a FACT that major life forms of the past are no longer living. There used to be dinosaurs and Pithecanthropus, and there are none now. It is a FACT that all living forms come from previous living forms. Therefore, all present forms of life arose from ancestral forms that were different. Birds arose from nonbirds and humans from nonhumans. No person who pretends to any understanding of the natural world can deny these facts any more than she or he can deny that the earth is round, rotates on its axis, and revolves around the sun.

The controversies about evolution lie in the realm of the relative importance of various forces in molding evolution.

Cris

Tony1 & TheChosen

I am simply amazed. I have provided links aplenty which you might have visited, through which you might have learned and reasoned. Instead you chose to ignore information provided. This is truly the mark of the fundamentalist/extremist. Thanks to you both for providing evidence of your perspectives.

Re: Evolution as fact

Originally posted by Cris
Chosen and all those interested.

The controversies about evolution lie in the realm of the relative importance of various forces in molding evolution.

Cris

Let me make myself clearer.

Darwin's Theory Of Evolution is not evolution. In the same way, the theory that the Earth orbits the Sun is not the Earth orbiting the Sun - it is a description and explanation of it.

I thouht you meant what I said, I'm not talking about evolution in general. I'm talking about Darwin's Theory of Evolution. Do you believe it or not? (Hence evolutionary theory)

Please, spare me the blanket statements that "evolution is fact." Everytime I see you post that I will counter back with "evolution is fact and theory."

Just don't make blanket statements and you'll be fine Cris. I already confirmed with you evolution is fact and theory. I'm talking about Darwin's theory of evolution.

Originally posted by Adam
I am simply amazed. I have provided links aplenty which you might have visited, through which you might have learned and reasoned. Instead you chose to ignore information provided. This is truly the mark of the fundamentalist/extremist. Thanks to you both for providing evidence of your perspectives.

Want a cookie?

Yes, I'd love a cookie right about now. Middle of the night, good time for munchies.

Tony1 may be a nutter, but at least I can respect his knowledge of his chosen religion.

TheChosen has had all questions answered with useful data yet chooses to ignore it and instead continue with half-baked opinions.

Now, I do realise the necessity of ignoring facts if one is to maintain superstitious beliefs. This is a given. This makes any attempts at enlightening the superstitious redundant unless the supersitious actively choose to accept new knowledge. So consider me finished with such attempts, at least for now.

PS: The reason I post links is because it would be foolish for me to type in pages and pages of essays which other people have already written. Just visit the links.

Originally posted by Cris
Chosen,

No, this has nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with logic.

I never said it was related to atheism, did I?

Note that I have made reference to inductive logic several times now and I notice you haven’t picked up on those references and you have proceeded to chastise me as if it hadn’t been said. I strongly suspect you are not clear on the difference between deductive and inductive logic.

Chastise? That's a harsh word Cris. You misinterpreted, I should have explicitly state Darwin's Theory of Evolution.

In case I am right here is a short article on the differences between these very important methods of reasoning.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/blfaq_logic_ded.htm

Here is a more precise article on logical reasoning using induction and deduction.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~bio125/logic.Giere.pdf

Thank you, I liked reading that, it refreshed my mind. If you didn't get it, I already know this.

Most of science is based on inductive reasoning. With induction we talk about the strength of the argument and the degree of probability. The theory of the atom uses inductive logic. No one has ever directly seen an atom, yet there is so much evidence based on the theory, including nuclear bombs that lead scientists to say with a very high probability of confidence that the theory of the atom is true. In other words it is reasonable based on the volume of evidence to consider the theory as if it was fact. However, there is a small possibility that the theory could be wrong.

That's good to hear, there is subtantial evidence for the theory of the atom. Is there substantial evidence for Darwin's Theory of Evolution?

The conclusions concerning Big Bang theory, and evolutionary theories also come under the category of inductive logic.

Take a look at the Big Bang Theory, since it still involves probabilities, you can't call it a fact beyond a doubt, that's fallacious. You can believe in the theory but you can't claim you know it is fact.

If the evidence for a theory is considered overwhelming then the inductive argument is considered so strong that it is reasonable to consider and treat the theory as if it were true. This is simply very practical. However, it should always be remembered that there is an element of doubt in every inductive conclusion (no matter how small); it will always be present. So when inductive conclusions are considered as if they are true then it is important to understand how the conclusion was derived.

How does Darwin's theory of evolution explain complexity? I can see diversity, but exaptation to explain complexity? Is that fact? Do you believe in it or not?

When someone says they believe something what they are really saying is that they are claiming they know that something is true.

Know = to perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity/certainty and regard as true beyond doubt.

Now, don't go telling me that you know Darwin's Theory of Evolution to be absolutely true or the Big Bang in that matter. You can believe it to be with limited evidence. Keep it simple Cris, there is no need to complicate things.

Stop associating know with believe, they are two distinct and different words.

Take my orange in the box analogy Cris.

There is an orange in the box, we don't know where it is.

Cris: I know it is in the center of the box. (how do you know? did you directly perceive from experience that the orange is in the center? How can you regard your statement as true beyond a doubt?)

Chosen: I believe that it is in the center of the box.

If theists claim they know God existed, they must have directly perceived proof/experience to let them regard it as a truth beyond a doubt.

Theists claim a belief that the existence of a god or gods is true. I.e. they think they know it is true. If evidence is shown in the form that allows for a deductive conclusion, or at least evidence that can lead to an inductive conclusion based on probability, then the conclusion can be considered logical and hence rational. If there is no evidence (as is the case for theism) then clearly neither deductive or inductive logic can be applied and any such conclusions are therefore outside of the scope of logic and are therefore illogical and hence irrational.

Your perspicacity on this matter "belief" leads you to convolute it so you can completely discredit theists as being irrational. Know and believe are two different things. So be it, I cannot hope to change your narrow-minded perspectives.

You claim to be a theist, hence you are claiming you know that a god exists, yet you have no evidence. You are therefore illogical and irrational, or you are not a theist.

I am theist, I claim that I believe in God. Simple as that, don't make things sophisticated. I will admit I am "illogical" but I will not admit to irrationality.

When you say you are keeping an open mind and state that perhaps a god might not exist then that is contrary to your statement that you believe that a god does exist.

I see possibilities for everything, but it ultimately depends on which possibilities I choose for myself and accept.

All theists always argue from the assumption and conviction that a god exists. They never express doubt. That is theism. If you express doubt then you are admitting that you simply do not know, and that is atheism.

That is not atheism Cris - I think that would be agnosticism, wow, you are almost manipulative like Tony1. Congrats, I know what I am.

You are an atheist my friend, accept it. It doesn’t stop you searching for a god. It just means you are able to think within the realm of logic. It doesn’t stop you wanting to believe that a god exists, but to be rational and logical you must provide evidence before you can claim a rational belief.

Atheism, rejects God, how can you search for something you utterly reject? Where's the logic in that? Please don't associate atheism with "realm of logic."

Just because I believe in God does not entirely exclude me in the "realm of logic." You like to say that so you can hope to cajole theists into your manipulative ways. No one is a completely logical person. My perspective of God does not limit me at all Cris, I hope you understand that.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Adam
Yes, I'd love a cookie right about now. Middle of the night, good time for munchies.

Yea, that'll shut you up :D You like to come popping into arguments, your place is irrelevant Adam. I hope you know that. No, Cris he doesn't believe it because he is directly experiencing it, therefore he knows.

TheChosen has had all questions answered with useful data yet chooses to ignore it and instead continue with half-baked opinions.

Funny, you asserted, so help yourself and prove to me where I "ignore it"

What "half-baked opinions"?

Now, I do realise the necessity of ignoring facts if one is to maintain superstitious beliefs. This is a given. This makes any attempts at enlightening the superstitious redundant unless the supersitious actively choose to accept new knowledge. So consider me finished with such attempts, at least for now.

Ignoring what facts? Prove yourself atheist. If you don't answer me, I would assume you happily ate your cookie and became wise enough to shut up with your cretinoid claims.

PS: The reason I post links is because it would be foolish for me to type in pages and pages of essays which other people have already written. Just visit the links.

Or you just don't know it enough to easily summarize the point. Points aren't hard to make, they can be clear, concise, coherent, and succinct, comprehende?

Chosen,

Please, spare me the blanket statements that "evolution is fact." Everytime I see you post that I will counter back with "evolution is fact and theory."
But you don’t seem to understand what is meant by ‘fact and theory’. This doesn’t mean that something is fact and theory at the same time, but refers to two quite distinct characteristics. When I state that evolution is fact I have always added the theoretical component as well.

Consider this analogy:

Time period 1: I see a box in the corner of the room.
Time period 2: I see the same box but it is now in the opposite corner.

The box has clearly been moved from one corner to the other, this is an undisputed fact. This correlates to evolutionary facts where later lifeforms are known to have evolved from earlier life forms. This is fact, it has occurred.

The problem with the box is that I didn’t witness how it was moved from one corner to the other but I know it must have been moved. I can now construct theories on how it was moved. Perhaps my daughter moved it, or perhaps it moved by itself, or perhaps I had been sleep walking and moved it myself but can’t remember. These are the theories, or the explanations that attempt to explain the facts. In the same way, evolutionary theories attempt to explain the facts of evolution.

Again read your own weblink –
Misconceptions: Fact and Theory

Darwin's Theory Of Evolution is not evolution. In the same way, the theory that the Earth orbits the Sun is not the Earth orbiting the Sun - it is a description and explanation of it.
Good, then we agree. But then I thought we had already agreed so I’m confused as to why you made this post.

Cris

Ok, so you claim you know the box [evolution] moved. But you don't know how.

Cris, I'm asking you, do you believe the Darwin Theory of Evolution, the explanations to what moved the box to be true? Do you believe it or not? Or you just don't explore it within your mind and don't wish to question it?

This has been quite the argument, interesting indeed.

Goodnight Cris.

Chosen,

Atheism, rejects God, how can you search for something you utterly reject? Where's the logic in that? Please don't associate atheism with "realm of logic."
No. You don’t understand atheism. Atheism is a disbelief in the claims made by theists for the existence of a god or gods. A rejection of God implies an acceptance of his existence and then a choice to reject his authority. That is not atheism.

Atheism disbelieves the theist claims because they are not based on any factual evidence or reasoning. If proof is presented then atheists will believe. Either position is fully logical.

An atheist who has rejected illogical claims is perfectly free to explore other logical explanations for the cause of the universe that might involve investigations into the alleged supernatural. This is fully consistent with the objectivity of the scientific method.

There is no requirement to irrationally believe something is true before beginning an investigation to discover whether it is true or not.

Atheism is entirely about logical reasoning.

Cris

Chosen,

There are a number of issues still outstanding here and this is going to take some more time. I'm not ignoring your questions, but this is my final week at work before a 3 week vacation and I have some critical deadlines I must meet. I'll get back to this as soon as I can, but it might be a few days.

Take care, and good night.

Cris

Chosen,

Take a look at the Big Bang Theory, since it still involves probabilities, you can't call it a fact beyond a doubt, that's fallacious. You can believe in the theory but you can't claim you know it is fact.
One last thing before I sign off.

Inductive logic doesn’t imply, and specifically does not require that one treats an inductive claim as fact beyond doubt. An inductive conclusion specifically includes an element of doubt depending on the strength of the evidence. There is no binary choice between truth or fallacy only a subjective judgment of probability.

The choice as to whether to treat something as though it is fact depends on the individual and the strength of the probability of it actually being fact.

For all practical purposes the theory of the atom is considered a fact. For all practical purposes the theory of the big bang can be treated as if it were fact and further work can be based on that assumption. Further evidence might change the perceptions and lower the probability of the big bang being true, in which case treatment of the theory as if were fact would need to be re-considered.

Treating something as a fact is not the same as knowing that something is a fact beyond doubt. Inductive reasoning works within these constraints. I did not say or imply that an inductive conclusion can be treated as a fact beyond doubt. Please re-read my post.

Bye for now.

Cris

TheChosen

What "half-baked opinions"?
Ignoring what facts?

Well, let's go have a look...

So, in your mind right now, you don't believe in the origin of the universe and you don't question about it.
Assuming knowledge of the thoughts of another.

Atheists love to immediately state it is a fact without considering how much and how strong evidence they have of it.
Assuming knowledge of how I, as an atheist, think.

Yes, I believe that God exists.
Evidence? Any supporting facts at all?

At least you don't deny that evolution has facts supporting it. A good start.

That's good to hear, there is subtantial evidence for the theory of the atom.
Being the up-do-date-on-science chap that you obviously are, I guess you know that we can now actually see and manipulate individual atoms...

Is there substantial evidence for Darwin's Theory of Evolution?
Absolutely, in the links I provided many times.

A deliberately misleading comment. The theory of the Big Bang is based upon observed and repeatable science. As the science-minded chap you clearly are, you must know this.

Stop associating know with believe, they are two distinct and different words.
From www.dictionary.com

KNOW

1) To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
2) To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.
3) To have a practical understanding of, as through experience; be skilled in: knows how to cook.
4) To have fixed in the mind: knows her Latin verbs.
5) To have experience of: “a black stubble that had known no razor” (William Faulkner).
6) a) To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
6) b) To be acquainted with: He doesn't know his neighbors.
7) To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
8) To discern the character or nature of: knew him for a liar.
9) Archaic. To have sexual intercourse with.

v. intr.
1) To possess knowledge, understanding, or information.
2) To be cognizant or aware.

BELIEVE

1) To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
2) To credit with veracity: I believe you.
3) To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

v. intr.
1) To have firm faith, especially religious faith.
2) To have faith, confidence, or trust: I believe in your ability to solve the problem.
3) To have confidence in the truth or value of something: We believe in free speech.
4) To have an opinion; think: They have already left, I believe.

Seems to me the meanings are almost identical in most regards and completely identical in some. I suspect that you may require the use of the word "suspect" in place of "believe". I also suspect you don't know what "perspicacity" means.

If you express doubt then you are admitting that you simply do not know, and that is atheism.
That is not atheism Cris - I think that would be agnosticism, wow, you are almost manipulative like Tony1.
If you wish to continue discussing these matters, I suggest you go and read some first. What Cris described is not Agnosticism. Agnosticism involves a doubt that we humans can ever know God. The acceptance of the existence of God is fundamental to the Agnostic belief. An Agnostic believes in God and also believes we humans can not know that god of any fundamental truth of the universe.

Having rejected the probability of any god, why would there be such a search at all? Use logic, kiddo. An atheist will most likely never undertake such a search, for there is no reason for it. That is the logic. Try it some time.

It's either God or chance. What evidence is there that chance was the cause of everything? Do you lose anything *just* believing in God (no organized religions)? You think chance is a better explanation than God? hmm...
As previously explained, chance plays very little or no part in theories of the Big Bang and evolution and such. I suggest you read through the links I have already provided. You may decry "chance" as illogical all you wish and use it as a reason for your arguments, but the fact is you are decrying something you yourself, and only you, have introduced. This completely nulifies any arguments based on that assertion.

So you believe in moral absolutes? You cannot determine a moral absolute unless you want to go around the entire world and ask every single person's opinion. If the answer is in unison, then it is a moral absolute, but we will never be able to know this.
This clearly indicates you have never read on the evolution of human behaviours. "Moral absolutes" are based on survival and on Hamilton's Rule. Being so well-read on evolution theory, you must know all about this too...

What do some scientists rely on for the origin of the universe? Will we ever know? Or will it be a chance? Big Bang = randomness and explosion. Randomness = chance.
The "explosion", as you say, is only a very small part of Big Bang theory. This it does not "rely" on chance. It relies on pretty much all of physics. As a science-minded chap, you surely know this.

Well, I've quoted you enough. I'm sure that you, being so rational and all, can see what you have posted. Good day.

"I'm a theist that is non-denominational. Simple as that. I see a possibility of God not existing because I want to stay open-minded as possible. But I accept the possibility of God existing"

That's not theism. Theism is a belief that God exists. I hold that there's a possibility God exists. Doesn't make me a theist.

"Wow, you are a believer, but just not in God, correct? You can't say the Big Bang must have happened, you can't be 100% certain that it has happened, and you surely don't know that the Big Bang has happened. You can merely believe it has because of such limited evidence"

There's no reason to believe in a God. There's reason to believe in the Big Bang theory. I may be wrong here, but I take it Cris, like myself, acknowledges the fact that the Big Bang theory could be wrong. A vast majority of theists (and certainly almost every single one of them on sciforums) do not believe they could be wrong.

"So, in your mind right now, you don't believe in the origin of the universe and you don't question about it. I'm pretty positive that you must believe in something to explain the origin of the universe? Or maybe your mind is just blank and refuses to explore?"

There is such a mindset as believing we don't hold the technology or knowledge to understand the origin of the universe. Unfortunatly, this is not an attractive mind set to most people.

"a theory with some evidence, but none of the evidence is substantial enough to prove it beyond a doubt"

I believe in evolution theory because so far it seems perfectly logical. There is no logical arguement to support god. Of course, I still keep in mind that evolution theory could be wrong.

"Then how did man come about? What do you think? So you're telling me you don't believe exactly how man came about? You don't question yourself on this matter? You leave a void of belief concerning man's existence?"

That would be me. Chosen you seem to hold humans in an absurdly high regard. I fail to see what's wrong with accepting that we do not yet know everything. You're beginning to sound like Nelson here Chosen.

"Atheism, rejects God, how can you search for something you utterly reject? Where's the logic in that? Please don't associate atheism with "realm of logic.""

Wrongo. Why must theists never know what atheism is? Is it like a rule you guys have or something?

Atheism can mean many different things to many different people. As millions of different people and millions of different views on god and religion. It would be stupid to make up a word for every form of view on god. So, we have atheism, agnosticism and theism. Theism is the belief that god exists, no debate. Agnosticism is the belief that humans cannot comprehend god. Atheism covers things from there is no chance in god being real to there is no reason to believe in god, therefore I don't.

Originally posted by tony1
He has no clue how it happens, or why.

Actually, science is very good at discovering and describing the "how" of things.

As to why, I must assume that you're looking for an absolute answer since you don't seem to be able to accept the X causes Y type of answer. The Scientific answer is that things are the way they are because of certain key properties of the nature of the Universe, many of which have been explicitly defined and are supported by evidence and others, which are more hypothetical but are logically and mathematically consistent with the evidentially supported theories. This becomes a description of the Universe, which quite simply is.

The trick? Claiming they have answers, when all they have is descriptions.

Don't theists do the same thing? All you have is a description of God and you claim it's the answer. The difference is that Scientists can prove and/or logically support their claims as I mentioned above.

It something like going to the doctor complaining of wry neck, and having the doctor "explain" that what you have is torticolis.

Whoopdedoo.

I find it strange that you're so dismissive of the diagnosis. Once the doctor has defined what exactly your neck problem is they will probably be able to administer or suggest treatment that will cure it. In the case of torticollis, perhaps muscle relaxants or physical therapy. In many cases this will alleviate the problem. They can probably even suggest what might have caused it in the first place (e.g. head-thrashing at a Christian rock concert), allowing you to avoid the painful experience in the future.

Great description!!!
Now what's the explanation for that?
How and why does that happen?
*The Sun...*
Another fantastic description!!!

I've noted your sarcasm but fail to see a problem. Perhaps you'd care to suggest one?

~Raithere

The Chosen:

I've just read through this thread. Several times you have mentioned evolution in the context of "fact and theory". It is not cler to me as to what distinction you are trying to make, so I'll need to ask a few questions:

1. Which parts of evolution do you consider fact? Please give a few examples?
2. Which parts of evolution are theory? Please give a few examples?
3. How do you draw the line between theory and fact in this instance?
4. How can the fact be true and not the theory? Please provide an example or two.

Thanks.

Originally posted by James R
The Chosen:

I've just read through this thread. Several times you have mentioned evolution in the context of "fact and theory". It is not cler to me as to what distinction you are trying to make, so I'll need to ask a few questions:

I thought I made it clear enough. But I'll elaborate.

1. Which parts of evolution do you consider fact? Please give a few examples?

Micro-evolution, bacteria evolves. The change in frequency of genes overtime. Life evolves according to Prigogine's concept. Life moves towards increased energy capture. That is why a human generates more heat than the Sun per cubic cm.

2. Which parts of evolution are theory? Please give a few examples?

Darwin's Theory of Evolution. If this theory is wrong, it does not invalidate evolution at all. Just means the explanations for evolution are wrong.

3. How do you draw the line between theory and fact in this instance?

The explanations are theories. How can some say an explanation of a fact is a fact? Models that attempt to explain how life evolves are all theories.

4. How can the fact be true and not the theory? Please provide an example or two.

Why do apple's drop towards the center of the earth?

It is a fact that the apple falls towards the center of the earth.

Chosen's theory to explain this fact.

Well, there is something called a "matterfield" that is affected by ultra dense particle called a "Chosenon" in another dimension and universe that is parallel to ours, the interaction between our dimension and the Chosenon causes the matterfield to produce the phenomenon "gravity".

Hey since I made an explanation of a fact, this must also be a fact. I should win the nobel prize.

Clearly, you can see why now?

The Chosen:

<i>Darwin's Theory of Evolution. If this theory is wrong, it does not invalidate evolution at all. Just means the explanations for evolution are wrong.</i>

To most people, the theory of evolution and the term "evolution" are synonymous. Of course, the term "evolution" can be taken to mean no more than "change over the course of time". Nobody would seriously argue that that type of evolution does not happen. If Darwin was wrong, it would not affect that sense of the word at all. But I'm not sure that that's what you're talking about.

<i>The explanations are theories. How can some say an explanation of a fact is a fact? Models that attempt to explain how life evolves are all theories.</i>

If I understand you correctly, then in reply I say that <b>every</b> scientific explanation of anything is a theory. Please don't tell me you're one of those people who think that something being "just a theory" is somehow bad. Every explanation is "just a theory". Some theories (like Darwin's theory) are supported by good evidence. Others (like the Flat Earth theory) aren't. That's what makes an explanation good or bad - evidence or the lack of it - not the fact that something is "just a theory".

Originally posted by James R
If I understand you correctly, then in reply I say that <b>every</b> scientific explanation of anything is a theory. Please don't tell me you're one of those people who think that something being "just a theory" is somehow bad. Every explanation is "just a theory". Some theories (like Darwin's theory) are supported by good evidence. Others (like the Flat Earth theory) aren't. That's what makes an explanation good or bad - evidence or the lack of it - not the fact that something is "just a theory".

I understand, but I don't take the word "theory" lightly like non-scientists. Every explanation is a theory, it just depends on the evidence for it to call it a "strong" or "weak" theory. Also if substantial evidence is provided, then the theory may become a fact. Theories are goals of science. That is why I believe in Evolutionary Theory. I don't accept blanket statements at all.

Here are some blanket statements:

Evolution is theory.

Evolution is fact.

The correct phrase would be "evolution is fact and theory." To avoid misconceptions of evolution in general. The word fact also comes first, so that should signify something.

I am just worried that some fools will start making the worst statement of all: Evolution is a law. I certainly hope no one will state such non-sense.

Back