Proof of the existence of God

My problems arise when with no evidence you (or others) state characteristic of Qet such as is "all knowing" "sin-free" etc. there is no reason to accept these assigned characteristics and more than: the cause of all sin, cause of all evil, etc.

This has no bearing of God's existence.

Question 2 is not "irrelevant." It simply asks has this causal agent, Qet or God (or any other name you care to use) done anything inconsistent with the natural laws since the BB? I.e. has even one miracle occurred due to the intervention of Qet in the operation of the natural laws?

This is a very simple question, with "yes" or "no" as the possible answers, but if you would justify either, that would be helpful.

Is God, as He is defined, capable of doing something that is inconsistent with the laws of nature?
Why would He want, or need to do something inconsistent with the laws of nature?

If someone believes that their avatar in a computer game is real, and then another person argues that it is not real, it is a simulation.
What does that have to do with the maker of the software?
Why would he/she bother to do something in the sofware to prove that he/she exists?

jan.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about religion.
If you cannot separate religion from God, then maybe this discussion isn't for you.

jan.
God is a religious idea. We are talking about how people around the world conceive of god. Religion represents a broad cross section of thought on this subject.

This has no bearing of God's existence. ... jan.
True IFF God or Qet is just a name, for the postulated cause of the Big Bang, but you clearly think more than just a name exists. You think God exists in the sense of having characteristic. *- Is more than just the name of a process that Science has not (yet?) completely understood.

Science has been making considerable progress towards understanding physical process we call the Big Bang. It seemed very improbable that our universe could result from an intense concentration of energy, before the "inflation" process was described. Hawking (and many others) think there is now nothing left to explain. I.e. a stastical fluctuation split zero energy in to equal amounts of positive and negative energy, etc. The negative energy may be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

That cause of accelerating expansion of the universe is also given a name: Dark Energy and like your name, God, (or Qet) we don't know anything about its characteristics, yet.

Anyone claiming to know some characteristic of Qet (God) is just expressing their faith that the people teaching them when young knew these characteristic and did not lie to them about them.

Why would He want, or need to do something inconsistent with the laws of nature?
Just to be completely clear:
By this are you asserting "miracles" (defined as violation of the natural laws) do not occur?

I like more bishop Berkeley's POV on this more than yours. He did not believe the "real world" existed. Believed it was an illusion god granted to him. He explained the fact that this illusion seemed to follow physical law, because if it did not, then even his "greater spirit" could not occasionally "work miracles" as by definition, miracles need "natural laws" to violate.

* later in you post you assert "God" can have "wants" and "needs" - Names don't have these characteristics or any of the other ones various religions claim God has.

Last edited:
God is a religious idea.

What religious idea preceeded God?

We are talking about how people around the world conceive of god. Religion represents a broad cross section of thought on this subject.

No we're not. We're talking about the definition of God, the important factor in trying determine whether or not such a phenomenon can be proven to exist.

jan.

True IFF God or Qet is just a name, for the postulated cause of the Big Bang, but you clearly think more than just a name exists. You think God exists in the sense of having characteristic. - Is more than just the name of a process that Science has not (yet?) completely understood.

What I think is irrelevant.
I've stated this on more than one occasion.

Just to be completely clear:
By this are you asserting "miracles" (defined as violation of the natural laws) do not occur?

No. I'm asking you a question.

jan.

... We're talking about the definition of God, the important factor in trying determine whether or not such a phenomenon can be proven to exist. jan.
No proof is required. Clearly names do exist. God (or Qet) was defined as the cause of the Big Bang.

... I'm asking you a question. jan.
I think we agree that names are arbitrary (the cause of the big bang could be called /defined to be Qet, God, Yahew, etc.) I do not think names have "wants" or "needs." - There are no such things for names. You postulate God is more than just a name as your God refers to an agent with characteristics. Can have wants and needs as in your question.

You must decide:
Is Qet, God, Yahew, etc. JUST a name? as you often assert - "God is a definition, get it?"
Or is God an agent with characteristics?

Last edited:
Why not? If in your mind the word 'God' means the reason why reality exists at all, the reason there is something rather than nothing, then one can imagine the possibility that there is no answer.

It is not relevant at this point, what we think/believe, or our reasons for such thought/belief.
What is relevant, is a definition of God that we can all agree on, regardless of belief.
It seems that you have a problem accepting the basic definition of God. Is that so?

It's also possible to think of logical difficulties arising when hypothetical existent beings are being called upon to explain the fact of existence itself. (We would seem to be faced with circularity or infinite regress.)

God isn't being called upon to explain the fact of existence. We are merely establishing a definition of God, so that we can imagine what it would be like if He didn't exist.

It's possible to do that without committing one's self to the proposition that existence doesn't have an explanation. I don't have a clue what the answers are to the big cosmological questions. I don't know whether they even have answers. Nor do I know what form the answers might take. I'm very much an agnostic when it comes to metaphysics and the big cosmological questions of natural theology.

But I imagine that you're capable of accepting the basic definition of God, and understanding that your imaginary world where God does not exist, could not exist, because of the definition. And a world which is devoid of the definition of God, and thus exists, only does so because you have removed the definition. Isn't that what you do in your waking consciousness?

Yes. The existence that comprises us and everything that we find around us is the given, the great fact that needs to be explained. Its reality stands, regardless of what explanations we spin out of our heads in hopes of accounting for it.

We are talking about imagining, not facts.
Your asked to imagine a world where it is a fact that God does not exist. It's easy to visualise the current world where people make such, and believe such affirmations, because they do not accept the definition of God. But it does nothing to explain why God does not exist. To express that in your imagination, is to accept the definition of God, and explain why such a world would exist without it.
I said the world would not exist, based entirely on the definition of God.
Why would the world exist if God didn't exist, based on the definition of God?

Which you seem to assume that you already know (somehow). You seem blissfully unaware that you are begging big-time theological questions when you do that.

No I'm not begging any questions.
That is the basic bog standard definition of God.
Deal with it.

Supposing that people believe that reality itself has an explanation or an initial cause, what difference do you imagine that belief would make in their normal lives? The idea of the astrophysical big-bang hasn't been particularly transformative. How would renaming it 'God' change anything?

That's what you have to find out.

If we take your favored definition seriously, you seem to be dangerously close to being an atheist yourself.

It is the most basic definition.
Do you accept it or not?
If you do then how can the world exist with that definition (in your imagination), unless you simply explain it away, like you always do? That being said, why is your imagination so narrow that it can't even accept, and workd with a simple definition.

jan.

What religious idea preceeded God?
Monotheism is a relatively recent invention, it arose in the agricultural societies of the near east. Before that many ideas were common, such as the idea that everything had it's own spirit which was guiding it, even rocks and trees. The modern version of this is Shinto.
No we're not. We're talking about the definition of God, the important factor in trying determine whether or not such a phenomenon can be proven to exist.
And you think there is only one idea, I countered by pointing out that there are not only as many ideas of god as their are societies, that many religious concepts aren't even about god. How do I phrase that without using the word religion? Perhaps that some origin myths don't mention god? Or relate the origin of the world to the product of a partnership?

What Jan does not seem to understand, as James pointed out* long ago, is that defining or naming an event, a process, a relationship. etc. or even a well defined object for which their is no evidence of their existence, such as: the tooth fair, luck, elves, unicorns, Santa Claus etc. is just that. A naming or /and or definition of the item so named. Not, by itself, proof that the named object actually exists; however, in some cases what the items the words refer to do exist as there is other independent evidence that they do - testable evidence that the named objects are "real."

In the history of man's expanding knowledge many ill understood things had definitions, names and some, generally considered to be spiritual beings, were thought to explain or cause observations. (The hunt failed because prayers at Diana's temple were badly done.) Scientific mistakes about existence were also made. For example one was "fact" for more than 2000 years:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Ether.html said:
"Ether, or luminiferous Ether, was the hypothetical substance through which electromagnetic waves travel. It was proposed by the greek philosopher Aristotle
biography.gif
and used by several optical theories as a way to allow propagation of light, which was believed to be impossible in "empty" space."
Dark Energy has been "fact" for a few decades.
Phlogiston was fact for about 400 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloric_theory said:
Ernst Stahl introduced the phlogiston theory of combustion in the 17th century, phlogiston was thought to be the substance of heat.
The existence of God or Gods for most, if not all of recorded time, has been fact for many, even until this day, but as there no evidence for that being fact, (even less than for the above name items) their existence can not be proven, even if what powers they have, or acts they are credited with, is well defined.

* More at: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/proof-of-the-existence-of-god.144082/page-49#post-3318530
But here is the essence:
Artfunkel makes computers work (by definition of Artfunkel). Since they do, Artfunkel exists.
God made the big bang occur (by definition of God.) Since it did, God exists.

There is zero content to both these identical claims. Both are just giving names to processes. Not telling anything about the two named objects.

Last edited:
God isn't being called upon to explain the fact of existence. We are merely establishing a definition of God, so that we can imagine what it would be like if He didn't exist.
He?

You are already attaching other baggage to your definition.

I said the world would not exist, based entirely on the definition of God.
Why would the world exist if God didn't exist, based on the definition of God?
It's not a matter of "why" but "how".
Because there may be another reason that things exist other than an "original cause" - such as eternal existence.

If we accept the definition of God AND imagine that God does not exist we are basically imagining that something else explains existence other than an "original cause".

If your definition of God was "that which explains existence" then the position and argument you have presented in this thread would seem to be valid, because it would cover all possible explanations of our existence.
But your definition is not that, and your argument is fallacious because you fail to accept that there other possible explanations other than "original cause".
Your failure in this regard is, as has been pointed out to you numerous times, due to your a priori assumption that God exists.
Thus your arguments either stem from such an assumption or simply seem to end up circular.

Jan assumes that only his god could create matter / the universe but there are some alternatives. IE argues that if god, the creator of the universe, did not exist, the universe could not exist. Below is one alternative, of growing acceptance by scientists. Part of my post 1023:

" Science has been making considerable progress towards understanding physical process we call the Big Bang. It seemed very improbable that our universe could result from an intense concentration of energy, before the "inflation" process was described. Hawking (and many others) think there is now nothing left to explain. I.e. a stastical fluctuation split zero energy in to equal amounts of positive and negative energy, etc. The negative energy may be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe."

The positive part, when expansion cooled the energy only universe, became quarks and them at still cooler temperature, the components atoms are made of.

In circa 1802, Laplace replied to Napoleon, when he asked why there was no mention of God in Laplace's five volumes on the heavens, Laplace replied:
Sir, I have no need of that hypothesis."

Last edited:
What Jan does not seem to understand, as James pointed out* long ago, is that defining or naming an event, a process, a relationship. etc. or even a well defined object for which their is no evidence of their existence, such as: the tooth fair, luck, elves, unicorns, Santa Claus etc. is just that. A naming or /and or definition of the item so named. Not, by itself, proof that the named object actually exists; however, in some cases what the items the words refer to do exist as there is other independent evidence that they do - testable evidence that the named objects are "real."

In the history of man's expanding knowledge many ill understood things had definitions, names and some, generally considered to be spiritual beings, were thought to explain or cause observations. (The hunt failed because prayers at Diana's temple were badly done.) Scientific mistakes about existence were also made. For example one was "fact" for more than 2000 years:

Dark Energy has been "fact" for a few decades.
Phlogiston was fact for about 400 years:

The existence of God or Gods for most, if not all of recorded time, has been fact for many, even until this day, but as there no evidence for that being fact, (even less than for the above name items) their existence can not be proven, even if what powers they have, or acts they are credited with, is well defined.

* More at: http://www.sciforums.com/threads/proof-of-the-existence-of-god.144082/page-49#post-3318530
But here is the essence:
Artfunkel makes computers work (by definition of Artfunkel). Since they do, Artfunkel exists.
God made the big bang occur (by definition of God.) Since it did, God exists.

There is zero content to both these identical claims. Both are just giving names to processes. Not telling anything about the two named objects.
He?

You are already attaching other baggage to your definition.

We can call it It, if you like.

jan.

It's not a matter of "why" but "how".
Because there may be another reason that things exist other than an "original cause" - such as eternal existence.

How do you imagine eternal existence.

If we accept the definition of God AND imagine that God does not exist we are basically imagining that something else explains existence other than an "original cause".

What is it that you are imagining?

If your definition of God was "that which explains existence" then the position and argument you have presented in this thread would seem to be valid, because it would cover all possible explanations of our existence.

The definition I presented is the basic definition, from ancient times till now, not my own personal definition.
From what I can see from the definition, is that God's existence is the reason we experience existence. Sounds like a pretty good explanation of existence to me. Maybe you can do better?

But your definition is not that, and your argument is fallacious because you fail to accept that there other possible explanations other than "original cause".

No argument has been presented by me thus far, and nothing I have said leads to the conclusion that I accept nothing but the definition. Perhaps you should stick to what is written, rather than infer stuff.
What good is your grasp of logic, if you can't even get the subject right?

Your failure in this regard is, as has been pointed out to you numerous times, due to your a priori assumption that God exists.
Thus your arguments either stem from such an assumption or simply seem to end up circular.

This accusation is either a result of poor reading, and comprehension, or a desperate attempt to halt further discussion.
My status of belief or lack of belief, does not need to be the subject of the discussion (and I maintain that it isn't).
That IS the definition of God, and not being able to imagine a world where God didn't exist, is no more postulating an a priori assumption, than imagining the world to be exactly as it is (if one could imagine that). It is, for me, simply taking into account the definition of God.

The task was not to imagine the world you currently live in, but imagine a world where God didn't exist.

jan.

Jan assumes that only his god could create matter / the universe but there are some alternatives. IE argues that if god, the creator of the universe, did not exist, the universe could not exist. Below is one alternative, of growing acceptance by scientists. Part of my post 1023:

I've assumed nothing. I've stated that there would be no world to imagine if God didn't exist, based entirely on the definition. It's not a claim that God exists. You need to get over it. How many times must I explain this.

jan.

I've assumed nothing. I've stated that there would be no world to imagine if God didn't exist, based entirely on the definition. It's not a claim that God exists. You need to get over it. How many times must I explain this.

jan.
That's exactly a claim that god exists. Just because you're lying doesn't make it true.

The existence of sort of higher being is beyond doubt. All life forms have evolved to their own potential so far. Life has an inherent intelligence. All life does

I just don't refer to this intellegence as a god.

How do you imagine eternal existence.
Easily enough...
Imagine something and apply to it the property of infinite existence.
What is it that you are imagining?
A circle.
The definition I presented is the basic definition, from ancient times till now, not my own personal definition.
From what I can see from the definition, is that God's existence is the reason we experience existence. Sounds like a pretty good explanation of existence to me. Maybe you can do better?
To use an analogy someone else used: if you could have reached point X via path A or path B, and you see a sign which reads "path B is the path which brought you to point X" your view would be that you travelled path B to get there.
Others would see the alternative path (path A), wonder on what basis the sign was written, who wrote it etc.
And we would conclude that we don't know, and that there is no way of knowing, which path we followed to get to point X.
Your assumption that the definition is correct, and is applicable to something that exists, is (again as others have pointed out) question begging.
No argument has been presented by me thus far, and nothing I have said leads to the conclusion that I accept nothing but the definition. Perhaps you should stick to what is written, rather than infer stuff.
I see you don't know what an argument actually is.
If you state something, and then state a conclusion derived from that (whether using fallacious or valid logic), that is an argument.
It is nigh on impossible to continue a discussion without making arguments.
Unless you simply preach.
As soon as you say "God is..." and then conclude something based on that definition, you have made an argument.
So perhaps you should understand what you have written.
And be aware of what implications you are making with your writings.
I also see I am not the only one to have raised this concern.
What good is your grasp of logic, if you can't even get the subject right?
Where/how have I got the subject wrong?
Have you not stated that God is "the original cause"?
Have you not stated that, as a result, if God did not exist then this would thus result in us not existing? (note how this is an argument you have made).
Does this argument not preclude the possibility that the definition of God might not apply to anything that does not exist, and thus there is another reason for our existence?
This accusation is either a result of poor reading, and comprehension, or a desperate attempt to halt further discussion.
My status of belief or lack of belief, does not need to be the subject of the discussion (and I maintain that it isn't).
That IS the definition of God, and not being able to imagine a world where God didn't exist, is no more postulating an a priori assumption, than imagining the world to be exactly as it is (if one could imagine that). It is, for me, simply taking into account the definition of God.
It doesn't just take into account the definition of God, though.
It takes into account your assumption that God exists.
You can not shed yourself of this on an intellectual level, for the purposes of discussion, irrespective of what you truly believe or not.
And yes, what you believe or not is irrelevant.
That is not the issue.
But what you believe is unfortunately preventing you from doing what others seem quite capable of, because, it seems, that belief you have introduces an a priori assumption into any argument you try to make.
The accusation thus stands, and if anything it is to highlight the pointlessness of further discussion with one incapable of even identifying and acknowledging that such an a priori assumption is at the root of their claims and arguments.

It is like trying to get a child with Aspergers and who can only take things literally to imagine that a ball you're holding up in front of you does not exist.
Because they see the ball they can not imagine that the ball is not there.
And there is no point in having a discussion with them that relies on them imagining the non-existence of that ball.

The task was not to imagine the world you currently live in, but imagine a world where God didn't exist.
Yes.
I know.
And I share the view that the world would look exactly as it does now.
We are at point X.
Whether God exists or God does not exist (i.e. whether we have taken path A or path B to get here), we are still here.
Unless we know for certain one way or the other that God does/does not exist - or unless we introduce an a priori assumption that God exists - the only logically valid conclusion is that the world would look as it does now.
Simply because we do not know whether God exists or not.
We have the definition of God, but as you have agreed this does not mean that God necessarily exists.
Yet everything you subsequently try to argue / claim is based on the notion of God existing because of that definition.

My previous accusation stands, and everything you have subsequently tried to say in your defence just reinforces the accuracy of that accusation.

So while you are incapable of separating that a priori assumption from your arguments / claims, further discussion will merely be an exercise in futility.
As the last 15 pages have shown.

Easily enough...
Imagine something and apply to it the property of infinite existence.

So you imagine a circle, then add that circle to something that never ends?
So when ask imagine a world where God does not exist, you imagine this?

To use an analogy someone else used: if you could have reached point X via path A or path B, and you see a sign which reads "path B is the path which brought you to point X" your view would be that you travelled path B to get there.

Others would see the alternative path (path A), wonder on what basis the sign was written, who wrote it etc.
And we would conclude that we don't know, and that there is no way of knowing, which path we followed to get to point X.
Your assumption that the definition is correct, and isAPPLICABLE to something that exists, is (again as others have pointed out) question begging.

I've defined path B (using the definition we all agree on), not taken it. There is absolutely no assumption that taking path B is correct, only that it's definition is correct. Applying a correct definition, in a thought experiment is not an a prori assumption.

If the experiment was: imagine what would happen to Superman if he fell into an ocean full of kryptonite, and for some reason was not able to free himself. My answer would be that he would die. Not because I assume that he is real, but, that his character is allergic to kryptonite.

It doesn't just take into account the definition of God, though.
It takes into account your assumption that God exists.

No it doesn't. It simply appears because of the definition of God. but it is not my definition. It is a standard definition, which form the basis of atheism, and to a lesser extant, theism. When asked to imagine God, that definition must be at the basis of all imaginings, otherwise you are not imagining God. God IS and always was, defined as the original cause/creator.

You can not shed yourself of this on an intellectual level, for the purposes of discussion, irrespective of what you truly believe or not.
And yes, what you believe or not is irrelevant.

I don't need to shed anything. The definition stands, whether you like it or not, and I am using that definition. You, on the other hand, have to deny that definition so that you come to conclusion that you are okay with. Then charge me with making a priori assumptions, because you uncomfortable with the definition.

But what you believe is unfortunately preventing you from doing what others seem quite capable of, because, it seems, that belief you have introduces an a priori assumption into any argument you try to make.

My belief is irrelevant. If God (according to THE definition) didn't exist, then the world wouldn't exist. Sure, I can attatch the word God to a purple unicorn wearing a ''I love Bertrand Russell'' on the front, in my imagination, but that would be silly. Wouldn't it?

Others, have used their belief that God doesn't exist, to conclude that the world would be the same, because for them God doesn't exist. No one has given an account of the world without the actual existence of God. They have simply denied any attributes that the definition of God upholds.

Yet everything you subsequently try to argue / claim is based on the notion of God existing because of that definition.

No it's not.
And you cannot show that it is.

So while you are incapable of separating that a priori assumption from your arguments / claims, further discussion will merely be an exercise in futility.
As the last 15 pages have shown.

The last 15 pages clearly show that there is a deep and psychological problem among the atheists here, when it comes to God, which runs much deeper than mere atheism.

jan.

Back