Proof of the existence of God

Why does it matter what most theists believe, or even think.

Because theists created the concept of 'God'. 'God' is their word. The word means whatever they use it to mean.

We're talking about God, or at least a concept of God based on what God is.

That seems to assume that the concept of God is descriptive, which in turn assumes that God exists, that God possesses a true nature, and that (some) human beings know what it is and have fashioned their concepts accordingly. (Apparently you include yourself among those people.) I'm skeptical about all of that.

Certainly assuming God's existence and nature beg the question of this thread, which concerns proof of the existence of God. Even Pachomius hasn't made the elementary error of assuming what's to be proven.

In monotheism and henotheism, God is conceived as the Supreme Being (God - Wikipedia

That is what the definition of God is. Concepts are simply based or not based on that.

Before you charged into the thread and tried to make yourself the center of attention, we were discussing Pachomius' concept of God: "Creator and operator of the universe and everything with a beginning".

I will point out that the phrase 'Supreme Being' is ambiguous. Several evaluative hierarchies seem to be in play in the case of God. There's 'supreme' in an ontological sense of 'primary existent', 'that which is most real'. There's 'supreme' in the moral sense or 'final and ultimate Good'. There's 'supreme' in in a religio-political sense of 'ultimate rightful authority', what the Bible calls 'Lord'. And there's 'supreme' in the distinctly religious senses of 'proper object of worship', 'ultimate object of religious passion and longing' and the difficult to define 'most holy'.

And there are aspects to the 'God' concept that 'supreme being' doesn't really capture. God is typically imagined as a 'person', as a human-like psychology to whom words like 'love' apply. God is imagined as having goals and purposes, which are often thought of as giving meaning to history in general and to individual life events. And there's the whole subject of salvation as well.

Last edited:
No it's not. Concept are ideas, and people have different ideas all the time.
Indeed they do. And God is a concept whether or not God also exists. One can simply not talk about something without that thing being a concept, irrespective of whether that thing exists or not.
But if those concepts aren't based on attributes that are credited to God, like the ones I mentioned, then how are they talking about God.
They are talking about their concept of God - not necessarily yours.
This is just more evidence of you riding roughshod over their concept of God, claiming it has to abide by the attributes of your concept or not be God.
Of course you can say people can see God how they see fit, if you like, but that would be a blatant condemnation of theists.
No it wouldn't. I take theists for what they say, accept (for the purpose of discussion) the concept of God that they believe in, that they believe exists, and proceed accordingly. It is you who is arrogant to belittle any concept they may have that doesn't fit your view, whether or not your view is shared by the majority of theists.
There has to be standard, and you'll find that standard in every scripture, and, comprehended in God based religions, even poly-theistic ones.
No, there doesn't have to be a standard. You simply assume there is one, because you assume that God must be the God of scripture, and that all scripture must be referencing the same God.
This is an unwarranted assumption.
What I would argue against is trying to define God without His attributes.
Which you base on Scriptures which is an appeal to authority, and limits the concept of God to the God of scriptures rather than the concept of God presented, as in this thread before you butted in to ride roughshod over Pachomius' concept.
I think you should support the claim because you made it, and furthermore, I didn't say God is a concept, I said I have a concept of God, and can, and do work with other concepts.
I have no need to support the claim until you can think of one thing that is not a concept.
Simply put a concept is an idea, so if God is my concept, He is therefore my idea.
If my concept of God is based on God, then God isn't my concept or idea.
Oh, dear Xenu! Are you for real?? Why have you introduced the need for a concept to be original to be your concept.
Is my car not actually mine because I didn't originate it?
Thoughts don't have to be original to be your thoughts.
So enough with the fundamentally ridiculous drivel that you're spouting, please.
If you think of something then you have a concept of that thing, and in having a concept of that thing, it is your concept. Noone else is thinking your thoughts inside your head.
So, I repeat my request: feel free to name something that exists for which you have no concept. Anything at all, for which you have no concept at all. And by doing so prove that your issue with me calling God a concept is a valid issue to have.
So where did this concept originate if it is indeed a concept.

You claim that God is a concept, so tell me who, and when started this concept.
Pathetic irrelevancy for the reasons stated.
What do you mean by ''not shared''?
I mean that I do not agree with it, therefore I do not share in your reasoning: it is not shared.
That's because they have come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.
Please quote source for what I consider to be yet more drivel.
Most atheists, those who simply lack belief in God, that I have met do so because they simply have no opinion on whether or not God exists, and are apathetic toward the question. There is certainly no conclusion by them that God does not exist. I would say this describes 90% of the atheists I know.
But if there are any doubts about God's existence then I think it is more of a preoccupation with atheists than with theists as to the existence of God, because we comprehend God differently.
It is certainly a preoccupation with atheists who want to consider the question. But since in my experience this covers a tiny minority of atheists, to consider it a preoccupation with atheists is simply drivel.
And if a theist has doubts about God's existence then I think it reasonable to conclude that they would be preoccupied with the issue - believing in the existence of something they doubt may exist...?
An atheist who has doubts more often than not (in my experience) simply doesn't care one way or the other.
If they question God's existence, how could they be theist (believe in God)?
You'd have to ask them.
Why would I want to do that?
Did I say you did?
Well it's not the same. I don't know when God was never perceived to exist, and as such I'm inclined to say ''God does not exist'' is the new kid on the block, and as such has to find the starting point, and the person/peoples who brought it into existence.
It is the same, merely from a different perspective. You simply don't like the view.
Whatever you think is the more recent viewpoint is irrelevant to what I said. What the "starting point" is is also irrelevant. Unless you want to appeal to popularity, to authority, or any other of those wonderful logical fallacies?
Is God fact or fiction? As far as I know, knowledge of God's existence is a natural phenomenon.
Then show it. Prove it. Prove that the claim of God's existence is true, as it needs to be true for it to be knowledge. Otherwise you are left with nothing but a claim of God's existence, and it's not hard to find evidence of claims of God's existence.
You made the extraordinary claim, you support it.
What extraordinary claim did I make, exactly? :confused:
If you counter a position, even with something akin to "'tis not!" you argue against that thing.
If the atheist says that they do not know whether or not God exists and you claim "God does exist" you are arguing against atheism. It's that simple. 'Tis not rocket science, so why do you need such simplistic notions described to you?
Wow! Didn't see that coming.
You expect to be able to hurl veiled insults with no comeback, then? And if you expected it, why bother in the first place, and then why the sarcasm? :shrug:

Well, I have to say that atheists do not think or they only think but not to the very ultimate end of an issue.

Consider this thought, what is the default status of existence, is it existence or non-existence?

Of course it is existence because if you start with non-existence then you have to stop talking: because from nothing nothing will ever get into existence, but there is existence and period, that is why we are existing.

So, think, oh atheists, instead of being stubborn with your vacuous idea that existence comes from non-existence: the default status is existence, period.

So, oh atheists, don't be into manipulation of words and concepts, existence is the default status of things; start from there and argue all the way to the existence of God in concept the creator and operator of the universe and of everything with a beginning.

Ah yes, you want to exclude God operator and bring in nature, that is a vacuous idea because nature is the creation of God.

Google these words: the laws of nature and of nature's God

Tip: America's Declaration of Independence

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

cryingindian-simpsons-carousel.jpg

Well, I have to say that atheists do not think or they only think but not to the very ultimate end of an issue.

Consider this thought, what is the default status of existence, is it existence or non-existence?

Of course it is existence because if you start with non-existence then you have to stop talking: because from nothing nothing will ever get into existence, but there is existence and period, that is why we are existing.

So, think, oh atheists, instead of being stubborn with your vacuous idea that existence comes from non-existence: the default status is existence, period.

So, oh atheists, don't be into manipulation of words and concepts, existence is the default status of things; start from there and argue all the way to the existence of God in concept the creator and operator of the universe and of everything with a beginning.

Ah yes, you want to exclude God operator and bring in nature, that is a vacuous idea because nature is the creation of God.

Google these words: the laws of nature and of nature's God

Tip: America's Declaration of Independence
If existence has always existed, then there was no beginning, and no need for your creator. Your own concept is biting you in the ass.

All the pompous arrogance in his tone, all the verbosity he alone is guilty of, and he still provides nothing by way of fact or logic.
But at least we get to smile at the irony of him describing others' ideas as vacuous.

I imagine his hand is hovering over the Reset button as I type.

Because theists created the concept of 'God'. 'God' is their word. The word means whatever they use it to mean.

When did theist's creates this concept?
Who were the theists who created it?

That seems to assume that the concept of God is descriptive, which in turn assumes that God exists, that God possesses a true nature, and that (some) human beings know what it is and have fashioned their concepts accordingly.

It assumes that there is a definition of God that has been recognized as such from time immemorial. It assumes that God is not a concept, because a concept is an idea, and ideas only come from people (as far as we know), and there exists no records of anyone inventing the idea we know as God.

I will point out that the phrase 'Supreme Being' is ambiguous. Several evaluative hierarchies seem to be in play in the case of God. There's 'supreme' in an ontological sense of 'primary existent', 'that which is most real'. There's 'supreme' in the moral sense or 'final and ultimate Good'. There's 'supreme' in in a religio-political sense of 'ultimate rightful authority', what the Bible calls 'Lord'. And there's 'supreme' in the distinctly religious senses of 'proper object of worship', 'ultimate object of religious passion and longing' and the difficult to define 'most holy'.

For the sake of discussion let's go with the highest being .

And there are aspects to the 'God' concept that 'supreme being' doesn't really capture. God is typically imagined as a 'person', as a human-like psychology to whom words like 'love' apply. God is imagined as having goals and purposes, which are often thought of as giving meaning to history in general and to individual life events. And there's the whole subject of salvation as well.

These are your concepts of God.

God is already defined. You don't have to accept, or believe that definition, but it doesn't change the fact.

jan.

Sarkus,

Indeed they do. And God is a concept whether or not God also exists. One can simply not talk about something without that thing being a concept, irrespective of whether that thing exists or not.

Who was the first person to talk about God?
When did this event occur?

They are talking about their concept of God - not necessarily yours.

What are their concepts based on?

No it wouldn't.

If God can be anything anyone wants it to be, then God only exists as fantasy, and therefore not real. It says that all theists believe something that doesn't actually exist as real. What does that say about theists?

No, there doesn't have to be a standard. You simply assume there is one, because you assume that God must be the God of scripture, and that all scripture must be referencing the same God.
This is an unwarranted assumption.

Of course there has to be a standard of who and what God is, otherwise what is it that theists believe in? Your concept of God? I don't think so.

Which you base on Scriptures which is an appeal to authority, and limits the concept of God to the God of scriptures rather than the concept of God presented, as in this thread before you butted in to ride roughshod over Pachomius' concept.

This is classic. How do the scriptures limit the concept/definition of God?

[quoteI have no need to support the claim until you can think of one thing that is not a concept.[/quote]

A concept is basically an idea. Did you not read the definition I sent you, or are you immune from having to use basic definitions.

Now, an idea comes from a mind, meaning that as far as you're concerned God is a made up concept which was formed in a mind. Now can you support your claim, or is it just something you believe?

Oh, dear Xenu! Are you for real?? Why have you introduced the need for a concept to be original to be your concept.

If a concept can only be form in a mind, then how can that concept be anything but original? Since when were we able to cut and paste concepts?

feel free to name something that exists for which you have no concept.

Such concepts are based on the thing itself. For example I may have concept for a particular kind of car, but cars already exist.

The definition/attributes of God exist, so my concept of God is based on that. If I base it on something else, then it is not THAT. It's something else.

The God you don't believe in, the transcendent, omnipotent, omniscient, supreme being, is based on the said attributes of God.
The God I believe in, and I'll even include Pachomius (based on what he writes) is based on said attributes.

It is the same, merely from a different perspective. You simply don't like the view.
Whatever you think is the more recent viewpoint is irrelevant to what I said. What the "starting point" is is also irrelevant. Unless you want to appeal to popularity, to authority, or any other of those wonderful logical fallacies

It's not the same, because atheists have to come up with reasons why God does not exist. Why? Because they only know a world where knowledge of God is a natural phenomena. If they don't accept that it is, then the onus is on them to prove that it isn't.
Now if you could do that you'd have a real case on your hands. But as it stands, you are simply denying this knowledge/information.

The fact is, you don't know where this knowledge came from, but relegating it to fantasy, when you have absolutely no evidence, and weak reasoning, to support that notion. Is in and of itself very revealing.

Then show it. Prove it. Prove that the claim of God's existence is true, as it needs to be true for it to be knowledge. Otherwise you are left with nothing but a claim of God's existence, and it's not hard to find evidence of claims of God's existence.

I said As far as I know, knowledge of God's existence is a natural phenomenon.
Reread properly this time, then compose relevant question.

What extraordinary claim did I make, exactly?

You claim God is a concept, a product of the mind. That's a big statement given that you cannot support it with anything substantial.

If you counter a position, even with something akin to "'tis not!" you argue against that thing.

There's nothing to counter, you are without God, and as such I can't argue with you about you not believing in God. That is your choice.

If the atheist says that they do not know whether or not God exists and you claim "God does exist" you are arguing against atheism.

I don't claim God exists. I believe God exists. That is always my position when talking with atheists. I'm more interested in the atheist's thinking, not their position regarding belief in God.

It's that simple. 'Tis not rocket science, so why do you need such simplistic notions described to you?

I appreciate that it's simple for you, but I'm not inside your head, plus it sounds bizarre to me, so I sometimes need you to break it down for me so I have a better understanding of what you're trying to convey.

You expect to be able to hurl veiled insults with no comeback, then? And if you expected it, why bother in the first place, and then why the sarcasm? :shrug:

Okay, this post has no insults in it.

jan.

...If God can be anything anyone wants it to be, then God only exists as fantasy, and therefore not real. It says that all theists believe something that doesn't actually exist as real. What does that say about theists?
It says they are deluded.

It's not the same, because atheists have to come up with reasons why God does not exist. Why? Because they only know a world where knowledge of God is a natural phenomena.
Culture is a natural phenomenon. It doesn't have to be based on anything real. The predilection to find agency for phenomenon is a human trait, because it was useful. The concept of God is like a parasite which piggybacked on our capacity to find out the reasons for things. It might have been useful as well at some point, but atheists tend to think it's usefulness is outdated.

Sarkus,

Who was the first person to talk about God?

The first person to come upon something that he didn't understand. It could be weather, astronomy related events, most everything was not understood initially.

Who was the first kid to talk about the tooth fairy?

Pachomius:

Depends what you mean by "existence". Is existence in the mind enough, or do you want existence in reality?

Actually, either way, the default would surely have to be non-existence, wouldn't it? Most things you can think of don't exist in reality, but only in your mind. And I'm sure there is an uncountable multitude of things that do not exist either in your mind or in reality. So, non-existence is the logical default.

You haven't proved "nothing comes from nothing". That's just an assertion you're making.

See above. What's your counterargument for the "default status"?

That's begging the question. You're assuming what you need to prove. Try again.

By the way, I gave you a definition of God, as you asked. You ignored it. Why? Are you no longer interested in pursuing the discussion that you wanted to have?

spidergoat,

The predilection to find agency for phenomenon is a human trait, because it was useful.
The concept of God is like a parasite which piggybacked on our capacity to find out the reasons for things. It might have been useful as well at some point, but atheists tend to think it's usefulness is outdated.

God isn't an idea. Unless you can show otherwise.

Atheists don't know what they're talking about.

jan.

The first person to come upon something that he didn't understand. It could be weather, astronomy related events, most everything was not understood initially.

Who was the first kid to talk about the tooth fairy?

So up until that point everybody understood everything?

This is what is so amusing about atheist's, you don't have to make sense, but you're so adamant that you're right, even when everything is crumbling around you.

jan.

The fact that every culture throughout history has had a different idea about God pretty much proves it's just an idea.

Just because you subscribe to the version of God of Israel from 2000 years ago doesn't mean Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Aztec, or any of the different modern-day religions aren't just as made-up as the One God of the Israelites.

Actually, either way, the default would surely have to be non-existence, wouldn't it? Most things you can think of don't exist in reality, but only in your mind. And I'm sure there is an uncountable multitude of things that do not exist either in your mind or in reality. So, non-existence is the logical default.

So because something didn't exit in your mind prior to it existing, you deem that it came of nothing/non-existence? Do you apply that reasoning to the origin of the universe?

You haven't proved "nothing comes from nothing". That's just an assertion you're making.

Then put us out of our misery and tell us what it is that comes out of nothing.

See above. What's your counterargument for the "default status"?

To put forward a counterargument, there need to be an argument to draw from.
There isn't one.

That's begging the question. You're assuming what you need to prove. Try again.

No he's not. The answer has already been provided. It is you who needs to provide proof for your assertion, which currently has no basis in reality, and is thus far a just so story.

By the way, I gave you a definition of God, as you asked.

There is already a definition of God, you simply gave your concept.

jan.

Daecon,

The fact that every culture throughout history has had a different idea about God pretty much proves it's just an idea.

Every single person in the world has a different idea about God, so how does that alter the actual definition/attributes of God?

Just because you subscribe to the version of God of Israel from 2000 years ago doesn't mean Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek, Aztec, or any of the different modern-day religions aren't just as made-up as the One God of the Israelites.

I didn't say it did. But God is God, and any honest person has some idea of who and what God is, will assign at least some of the universally known attributes.

jan.

Last edited:
Back