Problems with the biblical Genesis story (split)

Don't be silly Arioch, you're using semantics.
Arrant nonsense.

The thing is, you using a modern translation of the original word, and sticking to the modern meaning because you believe it supports your position.
Yet all we have is your (unsupported) claim that the original Hebrew made this differentiation.

The only way we settle this is to go as close as possible to what was meant, and the best way to do that is to use the original words to get the possible meanings.
So where are the original words?

The problem (for you) with this approach is, it doesn't back up your ideas, so you disregard it.
And, so far, you have nothing to back up yours.

And I have pointed out that I'm not using the Hebrew text.
Unless you can quote directly the Hebrew where it also makes the same differentiation YOU are doing then your "point" is void.

I've shown you the meanings of the words.
The word used for 'made' says nothing of creation .

jan.

@Jan --

Answer the damned question. What is a "great light that governs the day" if not the sun? Do you know of any other "great lights" in our daylight sky? No, then by necessity the sun must have been created on the fourth day.

Besides, there isn't a single soul alive who can accurately translate the original text, what with it having no vowels or punctuation(I was wrong in my earlier post, it did have spacing, but no line breaks) and the fact that it's a language that's deader than latin is. So either you're wrong and our translations are accurate or you're right and nobody can read the bloody thing and we should just bin it all together.

Can you read?

Okay, here's a question for you then.
IF the light that appeared when god said "let there be light" was the Sun, what was the "the greater light to rule the day" that god also made on the fourth day?
Can you point out the TWO sources of light that we have during the daytime?
Any photo from Google will do as evidence.
Thank you.

God made two lights one earlier one on the forth day , he just identified them and the purpose of them ,

You and I we know I don't have to googel.

God made two lights one earlier one on the forth day , he just identified them and the purpose of them
God made two lights on the fourth day (one to light the day, and one to light the night = Sun and Moon).
If the light that came into being on the first day was the Sun what is the second light (the one for the day that was created on the fourth day)?

You and I we know I don't have to googel.
I think you do, since according to your interpretation we have two Suns.
Please show where they are.

It's quite simple.
You gave the words alone, and their meaning.
You didn't quote the original Hebrew and show that these were the words actually used.
Which was what I asked for:
And I have pointed out that I'm not using the Hebrew text.
Unless you can quote directly the Hebrew where it also makes the same differentiation YOU are doing then your "point" is void.
What you've done is as useful and relevant as me giving the Russian words for "donkey" and "ass" and showing that they mean different things.

Plus, with regard to your contention, we also have this:
So, making a strong distinction between bara and asah in Genesis 1–2 is as unjustified as making a distinction between “create” and “make” in English.
In the creation account (Gen. 1:1-2:3) both words are used in reference to ex nihilo creation events and both are also used in reference to things God made from previously created material.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v2/n1/did-god-create-or-make

In other words: you fail. Again.

Dywyddyr,

It's quite simple.
You gave the words alone, and their meaning.
You didn't quote the original Hebrew and show that these were the words actually used.
Which was what I asked for:

I don't have the original Hebrew text, but it seems to be common knowledge that these are the words that were used, and I don't see any objection to it.

What you've done is as useful and relevant as me giving the Russian words for "donkey" and "ass" and showing that they mean different things.

I've shown the two different meanings of the words used from the Hebrew text. Here, look again at the word ''as-ah'' (make), check out the meaning, and then tell me again how you conclude that the sun and moon were created (ex-nihilo) on the fourth day.

jan.

I don't have the original Hebrew text
So you're just whistling in the dark.

I've shown the two different meanings of the words used from the Hebrew text. Here, look again at the word ''as-ah'' (make), check out the meaning, and then tell me again how you conclude that the sun and moon were created (ex-nihilo) on the fourth day.
Oh well done!!!
You've just completely ignored the last part of my post that rendered your entire argument null and void. As if I'd never posted it.
Are you getting any treatment for that selective blindness?

So you're just whistling in the dark.

Oh well done!!!
You've just completely ignored the last part of my post that rendered your entire argument null and void. As if I'd never posted it.
Are you getting any treatment for that selective blindness?

The last part of your post is irrelevant.

jan.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v2/n1/did-god-create-or-make[/url]

In other words: you fail. Again.

With respect to the article you post. I am studying a little Hebrew , I am finding that many word in Hebrew interchange its meaning, so I would not put my life to defend the only one meaning of a particular word. Therefore for me create or made might be interchangeable , the whole is what is it message

And another nail in the coffin of Jan's argument.
Thank you Arauca.

Jan:

What were the two sources of light that God created on the fourth day?

Jan:

What were the two sources of light that God created on the fourth day?

I don't see where he created any sources of light on the fourth day, not
from what is written, and what is meant by the particular word that describes His action.

jan.

if the bible is to be taken literally, I would conclude (a) that the hebrew people believed that many gods got together and cerated the heavens and the earth (b) that the moses story was copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh (c) that they did not know for sure if the Red Sea went all the way down to Somaila (tigris/euphrates/kush intersection) (d) that they were always getting their asses kicked by superior forces, so they hated most of their neighbors and despised their religious rituals (e) that they had no idea who the authors of their scriptures were and kept losing and recreating them (f) that besides flunking geography, they were sometimes way off the mark in their historical accuracy (e.g. confusing the succesion of persian kings) (g) they appear to be ignorant of the technological advances of many of their neighbors (h) by the time of Alexander they had just about given up on Hebrew altogether as their national language, then abandoning the scriptures written in Greek (Apocrypha) (i) the story of the teacher-magician Jesus rises in Greek, mostly as a counter attack to the pre-Christian sect that wrote the Gnostic gospel (k) they fabricated hel and Satan from the Zoroastrian story (Persians no doubt introduced to them via Greeks) (l) paul was writing letters to congregations about local issues, not cosmic issues addressed to you and me (m) the Revelation author ade some kind of mushroom or perhaps was having the flu

I don't see where he created any sources of light on the fourth day, not from what is written, and what is meant by the particular word that describes His action.
Still sticking to your particular misinterpretation?
The one that has already been shown to be incorrect:

So, making a strong distinction between bara and asah in Genesis 1–2 is as unjustified as making a distinction between “create” and “make” in English.

In the creation account (Gen. 1:1-2:3) both words are used in reference to ex nihilo creation events and both are also used in reference to things God made from previously created material.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...create-or-make

And a rebuttal of this requires something more than "it's irrelevant".

I don't see where he created any sources of light on the fourth day, not from what is written, and what is meant by the particular word that describes His action.

From the King James Bible:

Bible said:
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Which lights in the firmament of the heaven do you think divide the day from the night, Jan?

And which lights influence the seasons, the days and the years?

When God said "Let there be lights in the firmament..." was this not an act of creation?

What was God saying, then? Was he really saying "I notice that there are lights in the firmament of heaven"? Or something like that?

This doesn't mesh well with your advice that we ought to read Genesis literally.

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

Which lights in the firmament of the heaven give light upon the earth?

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

What were these two lights that God made? Please tell me, Jan.

You seem to be unable to answer this simple question. You keep avoiding it. Why?

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

These two lights divide the light from the darkness - presumably on earth, no? What could these mysterious lights be, Jan? Any ideas?

Back