Praying is an insult to God

Pi-Sudoku

Slightly extreme
Registered Senior Member
If there is a god (which i doubt) he would be saddened to see his people kneeling down and worshiping him. If he put all that effort into something he would want it to do something usefull. If you spent all your life making a robot which spent all it's time kneeling down and chanting rubish you would be quite dissapointed. You would be much more pleased with somehing usefull like a toaster, therefore toasters are more usefull that religious people (maybee)

Actually, I agree. Toasters are more useful than religious people. They can't make toast in 30 seconds or less. Useless people...:p

I drive a Toyota; they're meant to be very good cars, but when I get up in the morning and I go to drive my Toyota and I don't see it bowing down in a typically oriental fashion and worshipping my very presence, then I kick its damned tyres. I, like God and so many other gangstas before me, demand respek!

Prayer is communication with God. You can't have a relationship without communication.

When one prays to god, for instance to please save this child from this horrible disease (maybe he does, maybe he dosen't) is this not beseeching god to change his mind? Is not the disease itself gods will? Or praying for rain? Or praying for world peace? If god relents and answers your prayer (as millions claim he does every day) is not god changing his mind daily?

The child is sick. This is gods will. Without prayer, the child will most likely die as god wills it. If we pray and the child recovers we thank god for changing his plan. For changing his mind. Why? Why did god will the child to be sick in the first place? If the child dies, we say it is gods will. The only conclusion I come to is that god is testing us regularly with the lives of our children and loved ones, the weather, and the state of the planet in general. And the outcome of prayer is a coin toss at best. God appears to be random in his dealings. Almost the same fundamental behavior we observe in nature.

I wonder...

Heavenly Father,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory,
forever, amen.

That's the way the Bible says to pray in Matthew ch 6.

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take."

child's bedtime prayer - 18th century
-------------------------------------

Now there's one to comfort the younguns. Try not to die in your sleep little Billy... But if you do, hope the lord takes you... Sleep tight!

wtf.

'If anybody is up there, help would be appreciated. Now would be nice...'
And, if that doesn't work, the screaming starts.

"Please, god, why the fuck did you give us free will?
See what we've done with it?
You think it was a gift?
It is a curse.
And you knew what would happen.
Free will without the wisdom to use it.
A child with an uzi.
Thank you very much.
Please take it back
You sadistic bastard"

Amen.

superluminal said:
"Please, god, why the fuck did you give us free will?
I Don't mind me having free will it's just everyone else having it that pisses me off

Yea, well if we didn't have freewill, then I'm sure you guys would be pissed off about being a puppet too. Blame what you don't even believe in...that makes sense...as long as it takes the responsibility off of you right?

That's the way the Bible says to pray

Don't you just love it when theists are selective as to what they follow in the bible, especially when it suites or doesn't suite their worship du jour?

"And, yea, I do not fear to walk in the shadows in the valley of death...for I am the baddest motherfucker in the valley...with the biggest guns."

Lori_7 said:
Heavenly Father,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
forever, amen.

That's the way the Bible says to pray in Matthew ch 6.

its bad.,i can recite that off by heart and im not even a christian.,although i think it went more like.
our Father,
who art in heaven
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
forever, amen.

in summary: take away accountability for my actions.

kenworth said:
its bad.,i can recite that off by heart and im not even a christian.,although i think it went more like.
our Father,
who art in heaven
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
forever, amen.

in summary: take away accountability for my actions.

Unfortunataley i can too, i blame Mr Walker my Primary school Head teaher for that

Hi Lori,

Yea, well if we didn't have freewill, then I'm sure you guys would be pissed off about being a puppet too. Blame what you don't even believe in...that makes sense...as long as it takes the responsibility off of you right?

A) Probably

B) Were using metaphor, allegory, and allusion

C) I think you have it backwards. We atheist/agnostics take full responsibility for our actions and predicament. It's the theists that have a fallback "sky parent" to shove responsibility onto.

"Father, why hast thou forsaken me?" Umm... ya fucked up Jesus dude and got yerself kilt.

Lori_7: "Heavenly Father,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
forever, amen.

That's the way the Bible says to pray in Matthew ch 6."
M*W: Ah, yes, The Lord's Prayer. Here's a little twist to it:

"Our Father" = the creator of all life, the sun
"which are in heaven" = the sun in our solar system
"hallowed be thy name" = the ancients worshipped the sun, moon, stars, planets, elements
"thy kingdom come, thy will be done" = the zodiac in the heavens
"on Earth as it is in Heaven" = as above, so below
"Give us this day our daily bread" = a day is like a thousand years, bread is a reference to agrarian society
"Forgive us of our trespasses" = reference to the movements of the planets and constellations
"As we forgive those who trespass against us" = planetary movements that may not be as accommodating as others
"Lead us not into temptation" = reference again to planetary movements that affect us
"But deliver us from evil" = in the event we are caught in negative planetary movements, we beg the zodiacal creatures to protect and defend us
"For thine is the kingdom" = the zodiac
"the power and the glory" = the zodiacal creatures
"For ever and ever" = these planetary objects will be with us always, even to the end of the world
"Amen" = Egyptian sun god to whom we pray. Also called Aten, Aton, Amen, Amon, etc.

Our Lager,
Which art in barrels
Hallowed be thy drink
I will get drunk
At home as in the tavern
Give us this day our foamy head
And forgive us for our spillages
As we forgive those who spill against us
And lead us not to incarceration
But deliver us from hangovers
For thine is the the beer
The Bitter and the Lager